Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2020, 15:36   #31891
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueKnight View Post
Two 13 year old girls injured after a bike driven by a 17 year old rams their scooter. All of them critically injured and battling for their life.
Hope all 3 survive without any long lasting injuries. Both drivers at fault though, one for overspeeding and the other for the severe error in judgement while negotiating the turn. The parents of the underage driver would be taken to task, I suppose.

We need to be cautious while driving on these village roads, drivers tend to cut across or suddenly appear through the hedges right onto the road. Maintaining lower speeds on such roads would help us avoid accidents.The entire village and the police would pounce on the car driver even if she/he is not at fault.

Last edited by silvercloud : 19th November 2020 at 15:38.
silvercloud is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 18:34   #31892
BHPian

My college roommate's dad's friend met with a very serious accident on the Noida Jewar highway along with his family. That's a Kia Seltos GT line. What shocked me was the news that it banged with a truck in excess of 150 kmph The car is a total trash, will be probably written off as the complete drivetrain with engine and roof components are damaged.

Thankfully they were all belted and thus lives were saved. He himself, his wife and a kid. However they are struggling with injuries at the hospital. I hope the very best for them.

WEAR SEATBELTS!!! IT WORKS!!!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20201119wa0023.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20201119wa0021.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20201119wa0024.jpg

~NA
na_agrawal is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 18:56   #31893
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This happened in Sivaganga District, Tamilnadu. Drunken driving is the reason. Luckily no fatal injuries.
Amazing to see the guy thrown out of the window. Wear seat belts!

Also amazing to see the awareness of the dog. Dogs have some of the best road sense out of all of us out there on the streets!
Quote:
Two 13 year old girls injured after a bike driven by a 17 year old rams their scooter. All of them critically injured and battling for their life.
This is so sad.

No, they should not have turned across the traffic like that. Inexperience probably prevented the scooter rider from properly judging the speed of that bike. But so much more so, the get out of my way because I'm not changing course for you attitude of the speeding biker. I am not a two-wheeler rider, but with every vehicle I have driven, on land or water, the common sense thing would be to pass behind the scooter, whether it should have been there or not. Bikers, if you had been that guy, could you have done that? Well, of course, you wouldn't have been speeding like that on that road anyway, but...
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 19:11   #31894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_agrawal View Post
My college roommate's dad's friend met with a very serious accident on the Noida Jewar highway along with his family. That's a Kia Seltos GT line. What shocked me was the news that it banged with a truck in excess of 150 kmph The car is a total trash, will be probably written off as the complete drivetrain with engine and roof components are
That is a horrific crash!. Hope all of them recover quickly from their injuries.

Looking at your description, could be a case of a parked broken down truck without any warnings claiming another car .

0 or 5 star or whatever, devastating crashes send the stars flying in the sky.
Nalin1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 10:35   #31895
BHPian

Quote:
My college roommate's dad's friend met with a very serious accident...
Was he doing speeds in excess of 150 kmh at night?
Old 20th November 2020, 10:47   #31896
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thankfully they were all belted and thus lives were saved. He himself, his wife and a kid. However they are struggling with injuries at the hospital. I hope the very best for them.
That is well over 2 times the speeds of controlled crash testing, seeing that all of them made it out with injuries, that indeed means that KIA/Hyundai are not all that bad in terms of crash-worthiness, I've seen luxury cars being reduced to scrap as well at those speed, all that matters is that the occupants make it outside and recover in due course.

150 is some serious speeds, anything over 100 and the engine and structure will not ever be the same, please tell him to drive safe henceforth.
dark.knight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 10:47   #31897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
0 or 5 star or whatever, devastating crashes send the stars flying in the sky.
Yep absolutely true! That's why the stars are given at 64kmph where most number of accidents would occur while anything in excess will just be riding with your luck, careful or not.

Still with cars like Volvos, there is still a ray of hope of survival unless the accident is very unfortunate like the one we saw of Volvo V90 Cross country.
RavSam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 10:56   #31898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
17 years, 13 years...sigh :( But it is very common in TN rural areas i guess. [sorry for the generalization]
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 11:03   #31899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quite unfortunate. I would say it was sheer ignorance on the part of the scooter to take a turn without even looking behind for any vehicles to pass. Sadly, most of the errant motorists have this bad habit that they attempt a turn and then look behind while it should be the other way around. People just assume their 'right of way' and are completely ignorant about the concept of 'yielding'.

Again, this doesn't absolve the biker for the insane speed he did on an arterial road.
rr_zen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 12:48   #31900
BHPian

All crash tests, infact all impact tests are done at a controlled speeds in a controlled environment. Whether it is crash tests on a car or impact tests on a helmet. A vehicle certified to leave you scratchless at 60 kph will not do the same at 120 kph. Having been spectator and witness to unfortunate accidents in this thread, it suffices to say that any incidents happening within the limits (speed limits, lane limits etc) should be termed as accidents, while incidents happening outside these limits should be termed as worst outcomes of a dangerous gamble the drivers took on the roads. What hurts the most that innocent spectators and bystanders often become victims of such incidents. Any accident, for whatever reasons, is unfortunate but we come across a lot of those which could be avoided with a bit more caution and a bit more restraint.
88_TANK_88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 17:16   #31901
BHPian

Quote:
If you look at 0.25 sec, from the other angle, it looks like the Scooty driver did check for traffic and the biker was not in the picture. He was driving too fast for the conditions and the most to blame
Old 20th November 2020, 19:18   #31902
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
What shocked me was the news that it banged with a truck in excess of 150 kmph
I don't think your friends claim of 150 kph is accurate. For reference, here's a crash into a stationary object that happend at 120mph(=193kph) :

150 kph would've meant 60% of the crash energy in the above video. Do you think that's how the seltos looks ? I would like to think that the seltos crashed at not more than 100 kph.
venkyhere is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 19:49   #31903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Was he doing speeds in excess of 150 kmh at night?
Unfortunately yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
150 kph would've meant 60% of the crash energy in the above video
No one knows the exact numbers. Those can only be proved if his car had a GPS enabled dashcam system installed. But, what we do know is he was driving in excess of 150kmph, crash speed might be somewhat lower.

Secondly, this crash test is a decade old. I watched it first when I was in school and I strongly believe the cars have come a long way in safety standards. (Although, I reckon that seltos got 3 stars). And I also believe that at such maniac speeds even a increase or decrease of 5kmph will create a world of difference. So I think it's pretty difficult to deduce the speeds. For reference, check the MOOSE TEST videos, it's pretty easy to understand that how even a slightest change of speeds at the car's limit can do wonders.

PS: Is there any car on the street equipped with something like "black box", yes that orange box in Aircrafts? Just to record the car's log, speeds, throttle, gearshift. They might come helpful under such circumstances.

~NA

Last edited by na_agrawal : 20th November 2020 at 19:50. Reason: Word missing
Old 20th November 2020, 20:44   #31904
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately yes!

No one knows the exact numbers. Those can only be proved if his car had a GPS enabled dashcam system installed. But, what we do know is he was driving in excess of 150kmph, crash speed might be somewhat lower.

The speed he is travelling during the crash will be locked on the speedometer, that is the only way to decipher what speeds he was doing during the crash, for reference checkout Mercedes Benz G-wagon crash which went straight into the metro pillar poll at 200 kmph in Hyderabad.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-18010971_256861114779409_926534582670682784_n.jpg

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post4196550 (Supercar & Import Crashes in India)

This feature is not just restricted to Mercedes but Hyundai vehicles also have same speedometer locking system during a crash, I saw a Hyundai xcent speedo locked at 140 during a crash in this thread couple of years back, so Kia also might have had it logged in.

As few others said, I don't think the accident happened at 150 kmph, the impact would be much worse on a car like Kia, it would have impacted the body shell, collapsing A pillar and roof.
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 11:48   #31905
Distinguished - BHPian

My Ciaz was dented last night.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dent.jpg

This is how:
SS-Traveller is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed