Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2021, 07:17   #32251
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Just saw this second gen Innova turned turtle on Baner service road right outside KIA showroom.
Usual stuff.. Locals say driver was drunk, combined with no street lights, ongoing water pipe related works. Recipe for disaster.
Note: Number plates were removed from the front of the car.
Also, had to attach screenshot due to 6MB file size limit.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20210119071539_photos.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20210119071517_photos.jpg  

Last edited by DevilzzzzOwn : 19th January 2021 at 07:18. Reason: Added note.
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 07:35   #32252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
Just saw this second gen Innova turned turtle on Baner service road right outside KIA showroom.
Usual stuff.. Locals say driver was drunk, combined with no street lights, ongoing water pipe related works. Recipe for disaster.
Note: Number plates were removed from the front of the car.
Also, had to attach screenshot due to 6MB file size limit.
That place is quite jinxed. Sometimes it is a flooded subway, other times it is driver error. For someone approaching the junction, he / she wouldn't know what to expect as there is a sudden dip as you approach the junction. It gets filled up like a pond during monsoon and leads to this:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-flood.jpg

Hoping that the revised design incorporates the deficiency and makes it safer for commuters.

P.S. You could follow the guide to resize pictures below the attachment limit and re-upload.
moralfibre is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 08:07   #32253
BHPian

What happens when a Maruti Suzuki Baleno and a Tata Tiago crash head on. Like seriously, it's about time Maruti stops playing with lives. When will the average consumer realise that Maruti Suzuki cares only about their wallets being full. The only thing left now is for mass boycott of the product in view of safety for them to realise, which I doubt would ever happen in the era of "kitna deti hai".

I must say Tata has really stepped their game up. Can probably use this in thier next advertisement lol. I can imagine what would have been the scenario had it have been a truck that banged into the Baleno.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1611023424925.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1611023419883.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1611023429907.jpg  

Last edited by Starfire : 19th January 2021 at 08:10.
Starfire is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 09:03   #32254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
I can imagine what would have been the scenario had it have been a truck that banged into the Baleno.
No doubt Tiago is built better than Baleno, but just to be fair, there is no photo showing the extent of damage to Tiago like it is shown for the Baleno in the last picture. I am guessing that the damage to Tiago is also as extensive as that of Baleno. If taken to ASS for repair, Most likely all the parts which require replacement in Baleno will also need to be replaced in the Tiago (except the hood) since they are all dented/damaged no matter how less severe it looks.

Ultimately, it is the forces and loads which act on the passenger during a crash dictates the safety of car and not how it looks after an accident. Baleno is untested by GNCAP so I do not want to bash it yet like other Marutis.
nagr22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 09:04   #32255
BHPian

Quote:
What happens when a Maruti Suzuki Baleno and a Tata Tiago crash head on. Like seriously, it's about time Maruti stops playing with lives. .....
Pardon my ignorance, but didn't the crumple zones on the Baleno work as expected? I thought crumple zones take the hit and absorb the impact, thereby protecting the cabin from the force of the impact. In that case, didn't the Baleno actually fair better than the TATA for safety of occupants?

Am I missing something here? I keep seeing posts like this and I wonder what I'm missing..
DDiSLover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 09:18   #32256
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but didn't the crumple zones on the Baleno work as expected?
Crumple zones are designed to crumple, but they aren’t designed to crumple like a paper, and make the another vehicle’s front bumper reach to a point that is 2 feet away from the knee of the driver.

But I do appreciate the fact that crumple zones perfectly crumple in the Maruti and a Hyundai cars.

Unfortunately, the cars in which they don’t crumple as much efficiently as in Maruti cars, they perform better in NCAP tests.

Quote:
In that case, didn't the Baleno actually fair better than the TATA for safety of occupants?
No comments can be done at this point, but assuming that Tigor is a heavier car with a proven safety rating, and the penetration it has done in Baleno engine bay, we can expect that the rate of change of momentum for Tigor occupants must have been lesser, hence a probably of them facing lesser injury is higher.

Quote:
Am I missing something here? I keep seeing posts like this and I wonder what I'm missing..
Same opinion here, even I too feel now that maintaining distance from Tiago/Tigor is a good idea, these guys seem to have taken the safety rating a bit too seriously.
VKumar is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 09:25   #32257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
Most likely all the parts which require replacement in Baleno will also need to be replaced in the Tiago (except the hood) since they are all dented/damaged no matter how less severe it looks.

Ultimately, it is the forces and loads which act on the passenger during a crash dictates the safety of car and not how it looks after an accident. Baleno is untested by GNCAP so I do not want to bash it yet like other Marutis.

The metal bar inside the bumper is supposed to absorb the impact so that the rest of the car does not suffer damage. It is unlikely that the Tiago will have a lot of damage beyond the radiator and cosmetic parts. And maybe a bent metallic frame which needs replacement. The Baleno has enough damage to merit a 6 figure repair bill.
Cessna182 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 09:32   #32258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but didn't the crumple zones on the Baleno work as expected?...
I think the concerns are the rate at which it has crumpled. Assuming it wasn't at very high speed looking at the damage on the Tigor, the question is what if the crash was at a higher speed or with a larger vehicle where the risk of intrusions into the cabin is much higher.

I think this is where the NCAP language of body shell stability comes into the picture - if the vehicle can withstand further loading or not. A body rated unstable indicates it cannot absorb any further loading and hence the risk of injury is high.
fiat_tarun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 10:04   #32259
BHPian

Ah! That makes more sense. Thanks folks for explaining
Old 19th January 2021, 10:22   #32260
BHPian

Quote:
I thought crumple zones take the hit and absorb the impact, thereby protecting the cabin from the force of the impact.
Agreed, but crumple zones are meant to crumple so as to absorb a high velocity impact and not crumple when one merely farts on it. I mean sorry to say but I've had a bad experience myself with Maruti.

To consider an example: Paper crumples but so does a can of Pepsi, but both can't be considered to be equally sturdy. The question is who can resist the crumple more at a lighter impact but do its job sufficiently well on a harder impact. Mind you, a weak crumple zone is far more dangerous than a sturdy crumple zone in a high velocity impact.
Starfire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 11:06   #32261
BHPian

Another sad incident, 15 lives lost .

Quote:
After a collision between a truck and a sugarcane tractor, the truck driver lost balance and his vehicle climbed over the sleeping people on the sidewalk on the Kim Mandvi Highway
News18
Old 19th January 2021, 11:18   #32262
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me or are there too many Tata cars rolling over or smooching other cars on the road? Every other pic of an accident these days involves a Tata car. Either there's something wrong with the cars or a certain chunk of the owners think they're invincible.

Last edited by Turbohead : 19th January 2021 at 11:21.
Old 19th January 2021, 11:23   #32263
BHPian

Quote:
What happens when a Maruti Suzuki Baleno and a Tata Tiago crash head on.
One idiot in the Tata and one idiot in the Maruti.

PS: Only one idiot if one car was parked and was rammed by the other.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 11:31   #32264
BHPian

Wonder how they managed to hit each other so squarely? Speed at crash doesn't appear to be too high, could have happened at city speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
One idiot in the Tata and one idiot in the Maruti.

PS: Only one idiot if one car was parked and was rammed by the other.
Considering airbags have deployed in both cars, there were two.
Old 19th January 2021, 12:14   #32265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Every other pic of an accident these days involves a Tata car.
The point of Tata cars being safe and star ratings have caught on in general public so much so that every accident involving a Tata car ends up on social media. The rate of accidents involving other brands are also same as been for the previous years. They just don't make the news, that's all.
janakiram_m is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed