Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2021, 08:59   #32281
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Tragic accident in WB. 14 lives lost. A wedding party crashed into a truck.

https://www.ndtv.com/cities/west-ben...aiguri-2355101

The report in my local newspaper (TOI) says that the cars were on the wrong side of the road on a foggy morning. This is very common and dangerous on highways near the small towns.
Old 21st January 2021, 11:32   #32282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Tragic accident in WB. 14 lives lost. A wedding party crashed into a truck.
The report in my local newspaper (TOI) says that the cars were on the wrong side of the road on a foggy morning. This is very common and dangerous on highways near the small towns.
The problem I have with this whole accident is the reaction of politicians. By "sympathising" with the victims and announcing compensation, I think they are indirectly condoning wrong-side driving - something that is both illegal and dangerous. Which will further encourage all and sundry to drive on the wrong side of the road, exacerbating the already horrendous road safety problem we have in this country.
KiloAlpha is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 12:06   #32283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
The problem I have with this whole accident is the reaction of politicians. By "sympathising" with the victims and announcing compensation, I think they are indirectly condoning wrong-side driving - something that is both illegal and dangerous. Which will further encourage all and sundry to drive on the wrong side of the road, exacerbating the already horrendous road safety problem we have in this country.
Just to point out,

* All three cars was hired.

* Victims had zero control over the action of the drivers

* State needs to take responsibility for failing to stop these 3 cars getting on the wrong side for driving.

I agree, none of the drivers should get any compensation, its their fault. They must be charged with murder for reckless driving, breaking the traffic rule to drive on wrong side.

However, its election time, politicians will go sympathetic towards the families of these drivers as they too were not at fault.

As far as I am aware, both drivers died too. Not sure, but again I agree, if they are alive, case must be filed against them for gross violation of traffic law and killing so many people.

On a side note, NH12 (aka NH34) runs the entire length of Bengal. Connecting north n south, plus all other North Eastern states with rest of the India and important ports like Kolkata / Haldia. This is also a super important road for defence to access Chinese border in Sikkim or North East.

Unfortunately this long road must be one of the most neglected piece of road under NHAI. Single lane, narrow and as it sounds, extremely busy with super heavy traffic load. Off late, couple of years ago, Kolkata High Court passed an order to force NHAI to under take the long pending double lane (2x2 config) work. Now not just NH12, other such connections are getting the work done but still slowly.

It will be inhuman for us if we dont look at all other factors, as why these cars need to get on the opposite direction?

Often due to road construction and poor traffic management there are such huge long queue stretching for 10/12/15 kms at places. Some sections are totally undrivable for passenger cars. Some sections are simply unrecognisable and cars end up in opposite direction.

Thanks.

Last edited by NaXal : 21st January 2021 at 12:07.
NaXal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 12:29   #32284
BHPian

Here's another article: https://thewire.in/government/bengal...unce-ex-gratia

All three cars appear to be small hatchbacks. What surprises me is how 24 people managed to fit in three Alto-sized cars?

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2021_1img20_jan_2021_pti01_20_2021_000058b.jpg
Old 21st January 2021, 16:14   #32285
Senior - BHPian

As if the usual accidents are not enough, here is someone begging for it:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20210121_161101.jpg
PC: A whatsapp group friend.

Entry to NICE road toll, Bangalore.
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 16:28   #32286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfanwithk750 View Post
OT: Was that dude brushing his teeth at a major accident site?
deathwalkr is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 16:39   #32287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
As if the usual accidents are not enough, here is someone begging for it:

Entry to NICE road toll, Bangalore.
This one warms my heart i hate car owners who don't follow the queue or switch lanes at the very last moment, acting all smart a**
yesyeswe is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 17:53   #32288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
I came across this accident with ecosport, where car hits a scooter and topples. Its pretty clear that scooter is at fault.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=DHNv...nel=HarshVLOGS
This looks like it is at Nandikkara, on the Thrissur-Kochi highway stretch. The video does show the grim reality of toppling over and it's aftermath. Good that the Eco sport driver had the dashcam. It can help him prove that it was the fault of the scooter.

Last edited by TrackDay : 21st January 2021 at 17:55.
Old 21st January 2021, 18:29   #32289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All three cars appear to be small hatchbacks. What surprises me is how 24 people managed to fit in three Alto-sized cars?

Attachment 2111418
One of them is Omni. WB-74 U-4694.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-longscreenshot_20210121165616.png
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 18:51   #32290
BHPian

Quote:
Here's another article: https://thewire.in/government/bengal...unce-ex-gratia

Attachment 2111418
"The cars of the wedding party were going towards Dhupguri on the wrong side of the road and the collision took place due to dense fog, a senior police officer said."

How do people expect NOT to have accidents while driving on the wrong side in dense fog?
RoadMonkey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 18:59   #32291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post

How do people expect NOT to have accidents while driving on the wrong side in dense fog?
Exactly my thoughts! The government could have used this incident as a lesson to teach the masses about perils of wrong side driving. What did they do instead? Both state and central governments have announced ex-gratia amounts to the kins of those affected

Instead of wasting our tax money like this, they could have used that amount to publicise the fact that NO ex-gratia NOR insurance claims will be made it you get into an accident while breaking rule of the road! Imagine if the headline was 'Bengal road accident victims were denied ex-gratia since they were driving on wrong side'. This would have definitely made at least a few road users to start obeying the law. Instead now the rule breakers are treated as victims and are getting compensated. The real victim here is the poor driver(s) who got involved in this mess for no fault of theirs! I really hope the lorry driver is not grievously injured.
nagr22 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 19:00   #32292
BHPian

Quote:
I came across this accident with ecosport, where car hits a scooter and topples. Its pretty clear that scooter is at fault.
Can someone help me understand how this can happen to a safe car like ecosport? Is there any mistake by ecosport driver that made the car topple? like turning off some security feature?
Ughhhhh why do two-wheeler drivers treat their RVMs as accessories?
Old 21st January 2021, 19:27   #32293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
Just to point out,

* All three cars was hired.

* Victims had zero control over the action of the drivers
One doesn't have zero control over a hired driver. On the other hand, nor does one expect to have to watch his every move.

Quote:
The car is designed for four, maybe five (although not in comfort) people, right? They doubled the carrying capacity!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 19:50   #32294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
Imagine if the headline was 'Bengal road accident victims were denied ex-gratia since they were driving on wrong side'. This would have definitely made at least a few road users to start obeying the law.
This is exactly what is needed. Time and again we have seen that levying fines on defaulters are completely useless, the only purpose the fines serve is to bring revenue to some corrupt pockets and unnecessary harassment of general public in the name of archaic laws (sunfilm bans, 60kph limit on an expressway and so on).

Speaking of the speed limit rules, these days I am witnessing a brazen showoff of defiance on the BETL. People who are aware of the speedtrap approach the lay-bye at 60kph, but the moment the cross the interceptor van, they rev their engines and shoot off, in full view of the cops, accelerating and roaring their engines all the way till they disappear. Which makes me really ponder, what purpose does the interceptor serve and what is the whole point of this shabang?
railfanwithk750 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 20:07   #32295
BHPian

Quote:
I passed this spot about 15 - 20 minutes after this happened and I remember this car passing me somewhere near chalakudy. A very bad move by the guy on the scooter and he was in the blind spot of the ecosport. Not aware of the extent of injuries since the cops were at the spot and moved the injured rider when I passed.

Edit: This video highlights the dangers of tailgating on Indian Highways. Idiots can pop out of anywhere.

Last edited by shady : 21st January 2021 at 20:09. Reason: added line
shady is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed