Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2021, 07:57   #32341
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I really have nothing to say about this:
Well, I want to give this chap a pat on the back for backing off and not getting into an argument with a ~1000 tonne train passing at what seems like a 90+ kmph speed.

I hope that train was not in any derailment risk due to his action, though. Glad that nothing untoward happened (the owner of that bike wouldn't agree with me, I know).
binand is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 09:30   #32342

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
..but got a lesson for life...
The main problem with the society is, only this guy got the lesson. Nobody else will learn from his mistake, and it will keep happening time and again
kookaburra is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 19:25   #32343
Senior - BHPian

Lost a good friend of mine in a road accident yesterday. Still to come to terms with the fact that he is no more with us

I know this has been mentioned multiple times everywhere, but I will repeat it again, please, please, please, always wear your seat-belts (driver + all passengers, if passenger seat-belts available).

You are doing yourself and your near-and-dear ones a gross injustice by risking your life when driving without seat-belts.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st February 2021 at 04:38. Reason: Excess dots and capilat letters deleted
Blue Thunder is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 19:57   #32344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
That is a very dangerous 30 kms bypass between Hubli-Dharwad. With lot of smaller vehicles trying to overtake slow moving trucks, accidents are always waiting to happen here.
Supreme court seeks report on the accident that occurred on 15th Jan between Hubli Dharwad.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-eseozjdvcaezska.jpeg
AltoLXI is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 20:44   #32345
BHPian

Can someone mark it and share the area in google maps? I wonder if there is a way to tell google maps to warn users around potentially dangerous areas.
Old 31st January 2021, 20:56   #32346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandbangalore View Post
Can someone mark it and share the area in google maps? I wonder if there is a way to tell google maps to warn users around potentially dangerous areas.
If you asked about the Hubli-Dharwad bypass here is the map.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture.png

Last edited by AltoLXI : 31st January 2021 at 21:06.
AltoLXI is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 12:21   #32347

So I was driving back to my place (in Punjab) after a weekend in Himachal Pradesh and this is what happened right in front of me while descending the Himalayan Expressway:

A type 2 Honda City was being driven by a wannabe Max Verstappen who clearly ran out of skill on the road. I was driving my Aria in the right lane, doing about 35-40 km/h and out of nowhere this City pulls up on my left on a right hand turn (god knows what speeds he was doing till that point). I saw him hard on the brakes as soon as he appeared in my peripheral vision and he started drifting into my lane so I applied my brakes, which I usually do not do on bends: I heavily rely on engine braking (in the hills and otherwise too) and brake BEFORE the turn, not in it.

So in anticipation that he will hit the divider, I moved over to the left lane while (gently) braking. But I guess he let off the brakes and over-corrected the steering so the car regained traction momentarily and went straight into the guard rail, narrowly missing a bystander! Had it not been for the guard rail, he would've surely plunged down the road (a 500+ metre drop; for those who frequent this road, I had just crossed Giani Da Dhaba on my right about 2 kms prior)

I have read multiple times on the forum and even seen a dozen dashcam compilations of why you should brake and stay in your lane and not just turn the wheel in order to go in the next lane and possibly even create a bigger accident, but in this case, I chose to change lanes because I know the capabilities of my car and how she reacts. If I had stomped on the brakes and stayed in my lane, I would've ended up in the same situation (or even worse: high COG of my car, 4 passengers, boot full of luggage, RWD=oversteer) as this City.

Ps. I did not stop because: 1. COVID and 2. To cover his goof-up he would've passed the blame on to me by blurting some made up nonsense; you can hear my father saying chalo, chalo (drive, drive!) in the video.

Last edited by MoTo_meister : 2nd February 2021 at 12:49. Reason: Units: Feet to m
MoTo_meister is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 13:28   #32348
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTo_meister View Post
Honda City was being driven by a wannabe Max Verstappen who clearly ran out of skill on the road
This particular stretch is a menace I would say, especially during late night hours. Road is wide, surface is good, and curves are actually fun there.

Multiple cars, particularly one hatchback (Our national entry level performance hatchback, I am trying to be politically correct by not naming anything), one real SUV (Again I won't name, but the one with bent H) are the ones which I have frequently seen rubbing their nose on the median, or nearly ending up into the hill or the side rails, this city is also one such example.

Downhill slope + no ABS + skinny tyres + stupid driver = sure shot disaster recipe, nothing special.

Recently, while returning from Kalpa on 26th, there were a lot of 'enthusiast' drivers on this road, I was driving an XUV 5OO, now since we were making a single day drive from Kalpa to Delhi (22 hours total) in an emergency, so, I was carrying decent speeds on the empty road at around 12 in night. So I overtook two cars, this Verna and Creta, both HR36 registered, were being driven fast. So, I was carrying the momentum, but assuring that turns are taken properly as my car was a higher one. Both of these guys started following us and trying hard to overtake too, but probably ran out of skill. At one corner, this Verna came from behind real fast on my left; and even before I entered the corner, which was a left one, I knew that Verna driver has screwed up. I braked real hard as I knew that Verna is both fast, and on the inner periphery of the downhill left corner. And my fear came true too, the guy simply could not manage to take the corner, hence he braked hard and steered, but the front end simply lost the grip and the nose bruised the median. He probably broke his alloy too

Since I had already braked and saved closely from hitting the Verna, and was in a hurry too, I simply turned left and moved ahead.

Last edited by GTO : 8th February 2021 at 08:16. Reason: Removing part about dangerous driving - please refrain
VKumar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 13:53   #32349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTo_meister View Post
I chose to change lanes because I know the capabilities of my car and how she reacts. If I had stomped on the brakes and stayed in my lane, I would've ended up in the same situation (or even worse: high COG of my car, 4 passengers, boot full of luggage, RWD=oversteer) as this City.
That City driver still had chance to correct his mistake of braking and braking harder than what he should have. Simply let go off the brake once he had shed some speed. The particular point where he corrects his steering to right is the moment he should have eased on brakes rather than sticking onto them. On Shamlaji-Udaipur route, there are a few corners for around 10 kms., I enjoy them in City, and had real fun in my Swift. Many drivers just speed up to overtake and in a corner or two would fall back. These sort of drivers actually increase risk for all road users. Dynamics of a car will change with load too, this concept is fully understood in hills and experience helps. Glad to know that you were able to respond with appropriate inputs and avoid that City driver. Hope he learnt the lesson as damage seems to be minimal. The guy walking on foot is also quite alert to his surroundings.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 18:20   #32350
BHPian

Another idiot on the road , a danger for the other road users.
Thankfully no one got injured.

Last edited by revvharder : 2nd February 2021 at 18:23.
revvharder is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 18:43   #32351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
I seriously would love to see the further part of video. I hope the car suffers some serious damage and some action is taken by the police. Morons.
BoneCollector is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 18:56   #32352
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with the person doing the commentary
That is some sweet justice he got there, but I feel bad for people who are on two wheelers and people walking on the road.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd February 2021 at 19:59. Reason: typos
yesyeswe is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 19:36   #32353
BHPian

Quote:

https://m.Youtube.com/watch?v=Z1xs1BRBO7Q
Another video was doing rounds on Instagram of a Scorpio rolling, courtesy another one of these Heavy Driver
88_TANK_88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 16:55   #32354
BHPian

Found this from Instagram now. Apparently collided with an excavator but nobody is injured.

The front right alloy seem to have shattered to pieces. Is this normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20210203163757194_com.instagram.android.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20210203163803728_com.instagram.android.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20210203163810364_com.instagram.android.jpg  

logicalidiot is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 17:15   #32355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
I agree with the person doing the commentary
That is some sweet justice he got there, but I feel bad for people who are on two wheelers and people walking on the road.
I guess that person is there to film and signal about the traffic, otherwise there is no chance of avoiding hitting the traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks