Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2021, 17:46   #32356
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
Found this from Instagram now. Apparently collided with an excavator but nobody is injured.

The front right alloy seem to have shattered to pieces. Is this normal?
forget the alloys, the new thar has held up beautifully, after colliding with something as heavy and rigid as an excavator (almost all of the crash energy has to be borne by the thar). For a body on frame boxy SUV to have an unmoved A pillar after such a crash, is commendable - mega improvement in structural integrity, compared to previous gen thar. I am sure a lot of midnight oil was burnt by the structural design team around the "A pillar base meets front wings meets engine bay trusses meets front subframe meets body cross member at the base of windshield"
venkyhere is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 17:54   #32357
BHPian

Quote:
Found this from Instagram now. Apparently collided with an excavator but nobody is injured.

The airbag is seen to be deployed, yet the damage on the windshield is typical of being hit from the inside. Seatbelt sensor bypass device? Or probably bickled the belt and sat ON it?
railfanwithk750 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 17:55   #32358
BHPian

Quote:

I am worried about the outcome of this accident. The co-driver side of the windshield has an outward bulge. Most probably the passenger wasn't wearing seat belt and was thrown forward. By looking at the damage it looks like some high speed crash and that passenger surely would have had serious injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
If you asked about the Hubli-Dharwad bypass here is the map.

Attachment 2116240
This is bad . My new institute is located on this road. When colleges will open, I would be traveling on this road to go to market or airport, driven by local taxi or bus drivers. This really worries me.

Last edited by YD14 : 3rd February 2021 at 18:01.
Old 3rd February 2021, 20:28   #32359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apparently collided with an excavator but nobody is injured.
Thar took the impact well after colliding with a heavy vehicle like an excavator. Real life example of why Thar achieved a respectable 4 star in GNCAP.

Too bad, still people are learning hard way why seat belts are important. I am wondering if the passenger had contacted the windshield before deployment of airbag?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-th1.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2021, 23:07   #32360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Thar took the impact well after colliding with a heavy vehicle like an excavator. Real life example of why Thar achieved a respectable 4 star in GNCAP.

Too bad, still people are learning hard way why seat belts are important. I am wondering if the passenger had contacted the windshield before deployment of airbag?
One on my friends was in an accident some time back. He was wearing seatbelt and the car had 6 airbags(it was 2013 model Audi). At the time of collision, he put up his hand instinctively above his head. The airbags protected his head and chest, but his hand went in to shatter the windshield and gave him bruised knuckles.

Similiar thing could have happend if OP mentions no serious injuries reported.
88_TANK_88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 13:19   #32361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post

but probably ran out of skill before they could take corners like we were doing even in an XUV (while we were following all the basic rules of cornering, enter at outer apex with back off, hit inner apex, and then power out - on the empty corners).

Not cool - (even if empty) leaving your lane to maintain the race line is not a great idea, probably indecent too. Risky for other vehicles, who might not expect a lane change in a curve. Risky for you, as you might be at the edge and may not be able to handle a last minute manoeuvre.

We aren't supposed to be doing this on public roads. That it is empty, is not an excuse. Please be careful.
carrerastrax is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 14:20   #32362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTo_meister View Post
.... this is what happened right in front of me while descending the Himalayan Expressway

....... I chose to change lanes because I know the capabilities of my car and how she reacts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
....while we were following all the basic rules of cornering, enter at outer apex with back off, hit inner apex, and then power out - on the empty corners.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
Not cool - (even if empty) leaving your lane to maintain the race line is not a great idea, ...We aren't supposed to be doing this on public roads.
One of the common mistakes most drivers on Indian roads do is to switch lanes while cornering or while going around curvy roads.

It may seem like a great way to minimize body roll and take that curve faster by cutting across lanes taking the shortest possible path over the curve like in the race tracks, but on public roads, this is a very dangerous move and is a main cause of all accidents on curves.

On a dividerless highway around a blind corner, you're most likely to go in to the opposite lane and end up with a head-on collision doing this race track manoeuvre. Thats the main reason we need to honk so much on blind curves, because they is a high chance of finding the opposite driver bang on our lane.

Cutting across lanes on curves may seem a lot convenient as it allows taking those corners without cutting down much of the speed, expecially for those top heavy MUVs, but its a high risk practice and it unfortunately becomes a subconcsious/automatic habit over time with dangerous consequences.

The right way to take on the curve is to do so by sticking on our lane and adjust/bring down the speed to the levels that the vehicle can handle and never to step out of our lane around curves.

Almost everybody wants to cut into someone else's lane without any warning.
Keeping to our lanes is the top most behaviour change that needs to happen on our roads.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 4th February 2021 at 14:21.
for_cars1 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 14:28   #32363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTo_meister View Post
At (0:04/0:20) one can clearly see he missed the 'Himachal Juice bar factory outlet' & thought at the last moment he needed to get some juice and tried to drift to a stop !
On a serious note the Honda also narrowly avoided hitting a person who was just in his path (0:06/0:20). Had that guy not seen the oncoming car he could have ended up between the car and barricade or worse below the hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
Both these morons are obviously trying to replicate FF Tokyo Drift on our roads. At this rate if they plan to continue driving like this they better watch Shawshank redemption too !

Last edited by TrackDay : 4th February 2021 at 14:31.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 18:49   #32364
rpm
BHPian

Hyundai Verna (reportedly) rear ends a trailer truck at 80-85 km/h due to poor visibility in foggy conditions. Occupants reported to be safe. Driver reported to have minor chest pain and co-passenger reportedly has minor foot injury(ies).

Last edited by rpm : 5th February 2021 at 19:04.
rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 19:52   #32365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
Hyundai Verna (reportedly) rear ends a trailer truck at 80-85 km/h due to poor visibility in foggy conditions.
Early morning around 2:00 am, foggy condition and speed 80 - 85 kmph, some recipe for an accident

Good to see that under run bar worked here, otherwise accident could have been more severe. As per commentary with the video, Verna got stuck with the truck and truck driver came to know only after some people travelling in other vehicles raised alarm. Sorry to see just two months old car in such a condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-vre.png  

airbus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 20:37   #32366
BHPian

Quote:
Early morning around 2:00 am, foggy condition and speed 80 - 85 kmph

Like you mentioned, all ingredients - made for a disaster recipe

Beats me, how stupid people can be!!

Even if one is driving carefully, there is a high probability that somebody else will come and rear end them..

Really, the best (and probably only good) advice in these situation is to stay put and remain off the road in lay-bye or petrol bunk (somewhere safe) and wait for the fog to clear / or the visibility to improve.

Trying to save a few hours (At max) can cause some serious grief and life long regret. Absolutely not worth it.
haria is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 00:39   #32367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai Verna (reportedly) rear ends a trailer truck at 80-85 km/h due to poor visibility in foggy conditions.
Fog has never caused an accident. Not one.

Driving too fast in fog has caused many accidents. The conditions are not to blame: the driver is.
Quote:
Early morning around 2:00 am, foggy condition and speed 80 - 85 kmph, some recipe for an accident
Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Even if one is driving carefully, there is a high probability that somebody else will come and rear end them..
Even in other countries which we consider to have more disciplined drivers, fog is dangerous due to those driving fast. The careful, innocent driver can suffer.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 10:25   #32368
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Fog has never caused an accident. Not one.

Driving too fast in fog has caused many accidents. The conditions are not to blame: the driver is.
I put reportedly in brackets because I was stating what the narrator reported in his video to lay out the crash scenario. I made no commentary on who or what was to blame. I apologise if it seemed that way, but that was never the intention.

Just to clear my stand on this: I'm making no comments on the build quality of the car or the severity of injuries suffered by the occupants; I'm just reporting those bits from the narrator's commentary which I felt were relevant to this thread. I have no way of verifying the veracity of the information presented in the video. The only material evidence presented in the video are pictures of the accident, and brief videos of the car being examined to evaluate the extent of damage and being towed towards the end.

Last edited by rpm : 6th February 2021 at 10:29.
rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 15:11   #32369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I put reportedly in brackets because I was stating what the narrator reported in his video to lay out the crash scenario. I made no commentary on who or what was to blame. I apologise if it seemed that way, but that was never the intention.
My apologies. I shot from the hip, without taking time to understand what you had written. Sorry.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 16:39   #32370
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My apologies. I shot from the hip, without taking time to understand what you had written. Sorry.
It's all good. At the time of writing the previous post, I didn't quite consider the possibility that you may be making a generalized statement about the relation (or the lack thereof) between accidents and fog, while quoting my post as context; my apologies abound.

Most Viewed