Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2021, 11:57   #32386
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
https://Youtu.be/i7dEgeTU5K0

... exercise due caution when approaching a junction. It almost looks comical, but could have been worse
Given that the two wheeler flipped forwards and fell on top of the two women towards the end of the video, there is a high possibility of them being seriously injured.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 23:24   #32387
BHPian

Speeding biker hits a traffic constable in Hyderabad

A constable who attempted to stop a motorcyclist for violating the traffic rules was admitted in hospital after the bike hit him. The incident took place near Thondupalli toll gate, Shamshabad. The incident was captured by CCTV cameras and officials shifted the severely injured constable into a nearby hospital. Police filed a case and are investigating with the help of CCTV footage.

Old 12th February 2021, 23:53   #32388
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
In such cases, the motorists frequently give this excuse that they were too fast to stop, and the cop came in front suddenly.

Requesting the inputs from the legal experts in this case.

Once I randomly asked a cop about this, and he told me that it is somewhere written in CMVR that the driver shall slow down before the checking naka itself, and stop as per the instructions, hence any speeding vehicle is considered as 'trying to flee', and the driver is held responsible/liable for any damages to self, property, or third party in that case, like in the above accident. Is it actually true?
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 01:11   #32389

In that case, I would want hoardings and signs saying the same. Can't slow down form 80 to 0 kmph in less than 10m.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th February 2021 at 09:33. Reason: Typo
unknowntrainer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 09:01   #32390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
More like "A traffic constable jumps in front of a speeding biker". I have never understood why the cops try to endanger their/other lives in this manner for what is considered to be a traffic offense. If the rider doesn't stop in such instances, the police should use their extensive resources to nab the culprit. Pretty stupid decision to jump in front of a speeding vehicle and expecting them to stop.

Last edited by logicalidiot : 13th February 2021 at 09:02.
logicalidiot is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 08:46   #32391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
In such cases, the motorists frequently give this excuse that they were too fast to stop, and the cop came in front suddenly.

Requesting the inputs from the legal experts in this case.

Once I randomly asked a cop about this, and he told me that it is somewhere written in CMVR that the driver shall slow down before the checking naka itself, and stop as per the instructions, hence any speeding vehicle is considered as 'trying to flee', and the driver is held responsible/liable for any damages to self, property, or third party in that case, like in the above accident. Is it actually true?
Not a lawyer here but with some inside wisdom.
What the cop said is correct as per MV act. This means that the onus to stop on time without injuring the cop is on the motorist and excuses like i was too fast to stop won't work. However a lot of lawyers may be able to save this motorist from penalizing. The judge may opine either way on seeing this video footage.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th February 2021 at 09:31. Reason: Typo
Old 14th February 2021, 09:58   #32392
Team-BHP Support

Biker's fault, but should these cops really be trying to pit laws of the road against laws of physics? There'll only ever be one winner.

There must be safer ways to punish traffic violations than mortally endangering constables. No punishment for an offender is going to reverse an avoidable loss of life or limb on the cops' part.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 11:02   #32393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Biker's fault, but should these cops really be trying to pit laws of the road against laws of physics? There'll only ever be one winner.

There must be safer ways to punish traffic violations than mortally endangering constables. No punishment for an offender is going to reverse an avoidable loss of life or limb on the cops' part.
A safe way would be to wave a flag, preferably ahead of where one needs to stop rather than pounce in front of a moving vehicle. A mobile CCTV could be installed on cop cars to identify those who don't stop.
Old 14th February 2021, 11:35   #32394
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
A safe way would be to wave a flag, preferably ahead of where one needs to stop rather than pounce in front of a moving vehicle. A mobile CCTV could be installed on cop cars to identify those who don't stop.
A slow-down checkpoint (preferably not involving jumping humans) a couple hundred meters ahead of an interceptor speed-cam will be far more effective and safer.

You've already been caught speeding on camera up the road so your speed in those couple hundred meters is irrelevant, and the checkpoint means you have to slow down.

Much safer for everyone, and avoids collateral damage.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 12:16   #32395
Senior - BHPian

What is to be gained after losing one's health and fitness ? I too have seen multiple instances like this where cops jump in front of vehicles. It is dangerous for all parties involved. One thing I have observed overseas, is traffic cones or warning boards (similar to wet floor board type) a few meters ahead of the checking. This will allow sufficient time for the vehicle to slow down without diverting away.
Old 14th February 2021, 17:38   #32396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Biker's fault, but should these cops really be trying to pit laws of the road against laws of physics? There'll only ever be one winner..
Correct, but somehow this seems to be nationwide practice of our police folks. Few years back, there were quite a few complaints raised in Chandigarh on it (policemen would hide behind some tree/piller or other object & would try to jump in front of the offender to stop the vehicle).
I myself have seen it few times, in one case a policeman trying to cross 3 rows of fast traffic to stop a vehicle in the innermost lane !!
RaviK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 13:10   #32397
Senior - BHPian

Large, overloaded truck on smaller roads vs a badly parked (?unlucky) autorickshaw.

I'm not sure if the truck is driving legally (load and using smaller road), but he does make the turn like a boss!
BenjiRoss is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 13:41   #32398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Large, overloaded truck on smaller roads vs a badly parked (?unlucky) autorickshaw.
Surprised to see such drastic protrusions from the load-bed; thought MoRTH had specifically banned them. The intersection was also pretty narrow for such a long truck. Where is this?
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 14:39   #32399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Surprised to see such drastic protrusions from the load-bed; thought MoRTH had specifically banned them. The intersection was also pretty narrow for such a long truck. Where is this?
This may have been in Kerala from the discussions, bit can't confirm it.
Old 16th February 2021, 14:44   #32400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This may have been in Kerala from the discussions, bit can't confirm it.
Oh you can see "Digital Studio" written in Malayalam on the first floor wall of the building across the road. It is Kerala.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks