Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2021, 11:47   #32461
BHPian

Old Zen vs Grand i10[in hindi]. Personal inference from the video: Newer cars compromise on panel strength, even though structurally they aren't that weak. Plus airbags make even lower-star rated cars way safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan2007 View Post
Got this news and video today.
This looks like a targeted hit/drink&drive though. The car swerved right instead of left and plowed straight into the scooter guy. He could've avoided imo.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th February 2021 at 20:49. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 25th February 2021, 11:58   #32462
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallmaster View Post
This looks like a targeted hit/drink&drive though. The car swerved right instead of left and plowed straight into the scooter guy. He could've avoided imo.
I think the car guy thought he can let the bikers cross the road fully and perhaps swerved right. I somehow wonder why the biker stopped in the middle of the road, half way through.

That said, the way the car was driving is horrendous. Why don't people learn that they need to always anticipate or expect something and drive sanely. Two lives would have got saved.

A very scary video indeed. I believe the Police traced the car already.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 12:03   #32463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I somehow wonder why the biker stopped in the middle of the road, half way through.
Your mind stops working for a split second when you're in the path of a speeding car. Unfortunately, the speed was so high, that in that millisecond, he was already a dead man.
stallmaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 20:20   #32464
Senior - BHPian

This report says more than 10 vehicles were damaged in a chain accident occurred near Nayandahalli flyover in Bangalore. The incident happened due to the carelessness of an auto driver.
https://fb.watch/3TsmnIoFd6/
Old 25th February 2021, 21:46   #32465
Distinguished - BHPian

A Honda City hitting a man-pulled rickshaw in South Kolkata. The pictures are from June 2015 (found it in one of my image folders), when we can presume that the car was quite new. Feel very sorry for the rickshaw puller who was injured but saved. The car has suffered extensive damage to almost all its side panels.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn0079.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn0080.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn0081.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn0082.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn0083.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 20:47   #32466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
My assumption is that, the driver must have ridden the brakes upto this point instead of engine braking with a lower gear and most probably would have lost his brakes before this point which was why he was already in good speed. I don't think any truck driver with a loaded truck would come down Thoppur ghats at that speed otherwise.
Next time I pass by this stretch, i'll be tensed for sure.
I passed by this stretch last weekend and was planning to park the car off the road and get out if I encountered a traffic jam. Thankfully it was smooth flowing traffic both to and fro.

Quite a bit of alerts in the form of loudspeakers playing 'go slow' in a loop at two locations. The major accident prone part of the ghats have strips of asphalt across the road shaved off at regular intervals with reflectors all around them as well as yellow reflective strips and protruding reflectors on the road surface lining the centre lane marking all throughout the section. In the dark, it would look better than a runway.

In a car, it's quite an bumpy and rough ride because of all these, but on a heavy vehicle it would probably aid in slowing down the vehicle. There were also mounds of earth dumped on the widest part of the divider where most of the brake failed vehicles crash into since it is a sharp curve.

After all this, I saw a badly mangled truck parked at the bottom of the ghat.

Last edited by tharian : 26th February 2021 at 20:50.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 09:29   #32467

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Gruesome accident in Indore that snuffed out 6 young lives. Four of them being the only child in the family.
Drunk driving + insane speeds = instant disaster.
Looks like a Swift.. and the car in front, is it an Alto? And it nearly feels like some high speed chase was going on between the two vehicles.

Did the Alto apply sudden breaks as a nasty move that took the Swift by surprise at that high speed??
Old 28th February 2021, 11:55   #32468
Senior - BHPian

A speeding biker hit my brother's car yesterday. The impact was such that the entire front bumper and grille was completely torn off and hit the nearby two wheeler rider.
The culprit didn't even slow down after the accident and just sped away.

Had to tow the car to the service centre, cost of repairs will be around 17K.

Luckily the entire accident was captured on the dash cam. With that we got the bike number and found it to be registered to a business. Got the contact number of the business from Just Dial.

Today I spoke to the owner of the business and initially he refused to accept. But when confronted him with evidence, he accepted the bike belonged to his Son. Shared the dash cam video, the screenshot of the bike number and damage to the car on whatsapp. We agreed on a number and money was transferred to my brother's account.
So a quick end to the ordeal.

Another example for Why Dashcams are an absolute necessity.

Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210228wa0000.jpg  

Last edited by speedmiester : 28th February 2021 at 11:56.
speedmiester is online now   (38) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 14:49   #32469
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
A speeding biker hit my brother's car yesterday. The impact was such that the entire front bumper and grille was completely torn off and hit the nearby two wheeler rider.

Luckily the entire accident was captured on the dash cam. With that we got the bike number and found it to be registered to a business. Got the contact number of the business from Just Dial.

Today I spoke to the owner of the business and initially he refused to accept. But when confronted him with evidence, he accepted the bike belonged to his Son. Shared the dash cam video, the screenshot of the bike number and damage to the car on whatsapp. We agreed on a number and money was transferred to my brother's account.

https://Youtu.be/kfuEVd2aq6E
The 2 wheeler rider was lucky that it was a low slung sedan instead of some high riding SUV(probably even with massive bullbars). He and his pillion would have been in a world of hurt then.

The City's bumper got separated so easily that its scary. Wonder how a different vehicle would behave in a similar scenario.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 17:36   #32470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
The City's bumper got separated so easily that its scary. Wonder how a different vehicle would behave in a similar scenario.
Modern bumpers are held by plastic clips which breaks away on moderate force. They are considered as a replaceable part by manufacturers and are designed that way.
Yieldway17 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 17:49   #32471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
Right way to go. Saved the bikers , right? A firmly held bumper might have resulted in their falling off the bike
Jeep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 18:29   #32472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today I spoke to the owner of the business and initially he refused to accept.
Quote:
But when confronted him with evidence, he accepted the bike belonged to his Son.
Quote:
Shared the dash cam video, the screenshot of the bike number and damage to the car on whatsapp. We agreed on a number and money was transferred to my brother's account.

True. In this case, if you didn't have one installed, You wouldn't have evidence & hence He would have refused to pay out. Glad to see that you got the issue resolved so quick.
Old 28th February 2021, 18:42   #32473
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Modern bumpers are held by plastic clips which breaks away on moderate force. They are considered as a replaceable part by manufacturers and are designed that way.
I know the principle behind modern safety bumpers. However, some bumpers seem to be more "safety oriented" than others (if you know what I am getting at) and I am not sure if that is necessarily a good thing. However, let's leave this topic alone. This incident has the whole "Maruti crumple zone" vibe to it and I don't want to get into a flame war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
Right way to go. Saved the bikers , right? A firmly held bumper might have resulted in their falling off the bike
You are right. I did not mean to insinuate that the biker should have come to any harm in my original reply.
Old 28th February 2021, 19:55   #32474
Distinguished - BHPian

My Polo front bumper was torn from its wheel-arch mounting points by a very slow two-wheeler who had come up against it trying to get between me and an oncoming vehicle on a suburban lane.

He did have the decency to stop, although I rather crossly told him to go away. I did not see that it was hanging off until I got home that evening! Thank goodness it was not dragging. I just pushed it back into place, and a local garage did a slightly better job for nothing during a service. Big saving on dealer part replacement.

Maybe all cars, bar an elite handful, could be stronger; maybe they could be safer; but VW is not know for poor, cheap, tin-can build. None the less, some parts are fragile.

That's just the way it is: cars are fragile.

Design trend, for a long time, has been that more and more of the front end, no, both ends, of cars has been plastic "bumper." I think there may be some genuine pedestrian-safety engineering behind this, but it also means that those parts get more and more expensive.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 20:52   #32475
BHPian

Quote:

The exact same incident happened to me on Friday, it is the first accident that I have been in.
The incident - When I had to turn right on a road, I looked at the central rear view mirror and saw a bike pretty far away and didn't think too much of it, I then saw the right mirror and again there was nobody (I don't think he was in my blind spot), after this I gave the right indicator and just as I started to turn I heard an accelerating sound and a second later the biker (2 people on a bike without helmets) had crashed into the front right part of the bumper and sped away. I then parked the car and saw the damage, the bumper was fine although the right side had come off with the grille, I then tied it up with a rope and drove it to the mechanic who fixed it in 10 minutes.
Here are some pictures, although I regret not having a dashcam.
Also why does the repair cost 17000? I got mine fixed for 300 rupees.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_6018.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_6019.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_6020.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_6022.jpg  

Siva Prakash is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed