Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2021, 15:41   #32566
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
RARE to see the airbag deployed for a car scrapping under a truck and its frontal crash sensor deploying the airbags!! The front bumper looks ok and the impact is only from top down, many cars in this thread havent deployed for similar accidents. So is TATA really making Indian-Street-Smart cars?
If you compare the normal position of the front bumpers with wheels intact, there would definitely be a front(head-on) impact for this crash. Top down impact is visible as a result post the wheels collapsed.
Old 23rd March 2021, 00:03   #32567
BHPian

Swift Dzire crashes into a brick wall. Thankfully no injuries.

Apparently the car was being driven by a newbie who was being taught how to drive by the car's driver and without the knowledge of the owner. The guy pressed the accelerator instead of brakes.

This would not have happened in a driving school because for one thing their cars have dual controls and the other is that no driving school will let someone take full control of the car on day one and hope for the best.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20210322235522_instagram.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20210322235538_instagram.jpg
esoticoreventon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 11:51   #32568
BHPian

Very unfortunate. The crushed car looks like a Baleno but I could be mistaken.

https://english.varthabharati.in/kar...f-car-two-dead
Old 23rd March 2021, 12:09   #32569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfanwithk750 View Post
Very unfortunate. The crushed car looks like a Baleno but I could be mistaken.

https://english.varthabharati.in/kar...f-car-two-dead
From this attached image from the news article, the tail lights belong to the current gen WagonR and not Baleno.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20210323120500.png

Image Credit: https://english.varthabharati.in/kar...f-car-two-dead

Sad to hear about the loss of those 2 lives who just happened to be driving next to that tipper when this incident occurred.
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 14:07   #32570
BHPian

Usually these sort of accidents are something where the 2-wheeler guy will not escape with his life. Sharp turn, no helmets, and above all the dreaded KeSRTC. He can thank his stars for coming out alive.
Old 29th March 2021, 15:21   #32571
BHPian

Saw the news of an accident near Batlagundu where a Mahindra van (old model) and a government bus had a head-on collision. As per the news, 4 souls have lost their lives. Saw the video on one of the facebook channels, pretty gruesome accident. The van was literally mangled. Just wondering how these vans are being allowed to still ply.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-van.jpg  

Old 30th March 2021, 13:18   #32572
BHPian

Reckless biker caused a collision, drivers of both the trucks and a cleaner are injured.

tchsvy is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 13:53   #32573
Senior - BHPian

That biker is very very lucky to be alive. Who the hell approved his license? There is no shortage of morons on our roads. They arrive everyday by the truckloads. I feel for the drivers of both the lorries.
longhorn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 14:20   #32574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Who the hell approved his license?
I have a sneaky suspicion that automakers lobby to have licensing norms be as laxed as they are at the moment. Their sales would not be what they are if everyone were to fail their driving test. Half our accidents would definitely be curbed if the tests were stricter and atleast tried to simulate real world conditions where the user is required to know how to share the road with others apart from being able to pilot their own vehicle.
IshaanIan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 15:59   #32575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I have a sneaky suspicion that automakers lobby to have licensing norms be as laxed as they are at the moment. Their sales would not be what they are if everyone were to fail their driving test. Half our accidents would definitely be curbed if the tests were stricter and atleast tried to simulate real world conditions where the user is required to know how to share the road with others apart from being able to pilot their own vehicle.
Licensing norms in India, on paper as per the CMVR, is about as stringent as the UK/EU licensing norms used to be about 20 years back. This is on paper. The implementation is whole different ball game altogether
Licensing is a simple way for RTO officials, and the entire chain of command of Transport Department/ministry, to earn easy money.

If the licensing norms were to be properly enforced, 80% of the people out on the road today would be restricted to using public transport, bicycles, or their own 2 feet, for transportation. And this thread would not exist!!
KiloAlpha is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 16:17   #32576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
Reckless biker caused a collision, drivers of both the trucks and a cleaner are injured.
It was so frustrating to watch this video. He didn’t even glance towards his right before crossing. I bet he left from there like nothing happened after causing such a chaos. Hoping the video helps to find and hold him responsible and truck insurance companies chase him for any claims. And wishing for the truck drivers to recover soon.

Also, sorry to say this but the truck driver probably shouldn’t have done the instinctive swerve. What if the median had 20 pedestrians waiting to cross? It’s a split second decision and I pray that I’m never put in situations like this. Some of these bikers are begging to be a roadkill and innocent lives getting hurt because of these idiots is not acceptable.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 30th March 2021 at 16:22.
Yieldway17 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 16:56   #32577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I bet he left from there like nothing happened after causing such a chaos.
You are spot on, the news reporter mentions that he left the spot as nothing has happened, and the police are looking out for him.

Quote:
Also, sorry to say this but the truck driver probably shouldn’t have done the instinctive swerve.
It was his instinctive reaction I guess, it had to be a split second decision and the good samaritan in him chose not to kill the idiot biker, we can only guess about all the other scenario.
tchsvy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 17:50   #32578
Distinguished - BHPian

If the truck driver had not swerved, the news would have read that he rammed into the bike killing him. This is in the newspapers every day: never is there any suspicion reported that the fault might be that of the biker.

I came to realise why this is when I visited The Hindu offices one day: the place is crammed with parked bikes!

Oh, there was an exception to the above yesterday: the fatal collision was between two bikes.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 18:36   #32579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Also, sorry to say this but the truck driver probably shouldn’t have done the instinctive swerve. What if the median had 20 pedestrians waiting to cross?
Heavy vehicle drivers and train drivers (better known as "engineers" I guess) are usually trained to aim for a course of action that will result in a minimum loss. So yes, you're right, it should have ideally been one biker chutney rather than a head on collision with another truck. I think it's rather fortuitous by pure luck that no one got killed; it could've just as easily involved multiple deaths, since two leviathan vehicles are colliding head on here.

And OT: Here's a poor related joke - A fresher train driver sees a man on the track and remembers his training, to rather hit one man rather than endanger the lives of everyone in his train by jamming the brakes. So he chases the man by derailing the train and goes after him into the nearby field, with the entire train in tow (remember - it's a poor joke). And in the post-accident inquiry, he proudly relates how he remembered his training and followed his instructions Anyway, this joke sums up how I feel about this biker.
locusjag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 19:28   #32580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post

And OT: Here's a poor related joke
I think the truck driver here didn't even notice the oncoming truck otherwise he wouldn't have swerved there. That biker was so stupid to even attempt that! I mean the fear itself of the truck coming closer should deter any sensible mortal but here is that guy!

Also, related to your joke, that's what I do in GTA games.
lolll:
RavSam is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed