Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2021, 19:17   #32626
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Delhi doctor, wife run over by car during evening stroll
Is that a footpath on the side? Wonder what that's for.

With the number of crazy drivers on road increasing day by day, as a pedestrian we really really have to be wary for our own safety. Such is the reality :(

And whenever possible please walk on the right side of the road.

What crime would the lady driver be placed under now with the solid evidence available?

Just sad, an elderly couple out for a leisurely stroll and to have their life snatched away like this.
deathwalkr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 19:34   #32627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Is that a footpath on the side? Wonder what that's for.
My only comment would be that it is always safer to walk against the traffic.

Other than that, it is 100% the woman's fault.
sridhu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 19:50   #32628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
If you see the number of wrong side riders and drivers on our roads today, it gets confusing to define what is meant by walking 'against' traffic. I have had many near misses while crossing busy streets where I will be looking at the side where I expect vehicles will be coming but have a close call with a wrong sider
nagr22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 01:00   #32629
BHPian

Came across this horrible clip. Two senior citizens were killed. The driver is out on bail. She says she was lost in her thoughts

https://twitter.com/indiatoday/statu...623014913?s=21

Feel there is serious negligence from driver.

Reposting the link

Last edited by vikasshu : 8th April 2021 at 01:07. Reason: Link was not working
vikasshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 07:14   #32630
Senior - BHPian

A fatal accident in Bangalore where a drunk driver (as per reports) crashed into the side with parked bikes. One biker who was getting ready to leave died in the accident. Not able to get further details.
The biker was not wearing a helmet.
Linking to the video as it is a fatal crash (not gory as the crash happens off screen mostly)

http://www.thewiseherb.com/crashes/2...es-into-bikes/
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 11:01   #32631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
That is the way one is supposed to walk, the pedestrians are supposed to walk on right side of the road facing oncoming traffic. That is why bus stops are supposed to be built after the signal so people walk towards junction facing the traffic. This is what was taught to me by Police personnel during Road Safety Patrol days in school.
Jerryaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 11:40   #32632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasshu View Post
Feel there is serious negligence from driver.
I think she was fiddling with ICE or AC. Nothing else can explain this deadly callousness.
stallmaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 23:10   #32633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallmaster View Post
I think she was fiddling with ICE or AC.
There is a twist to this news. Also, probable cause of distraction was said to be checking WhatsApp messages

Dwarka accident twist: Police say younger sister ran over elderly couple, arrest her

Quote:
In a dramatic turn of events, three days after a 30-year-old woman was arrested for allegedly running over a 79-year-old doctor and his 62-year-old wife in Dwarka, the Delhi Police on Thursday arrested her 28-year-old sister, who is an assistant manager at a leading public sector bank, for the crime.

The police, during their investigation, found that the vehicle was being driven by the younger sister, Noopar Choudhary, at the time of the incident. Both sisters have now been taken in custody on charges of hit-and-run and for misleading the police.

Confirming the arrest, DCP (Dwarka) Santosh Kumar Meena said further probe is on. According to the police sources, Noopar only holds a learner’s license and feared losing her job in case she is named in an FIR.

Initial probe has revealed that she was allegedly checking her WhatsApp messages when she hit the couple, identified as Shanti Swroop Arora, a retired doctor, and his wife Anjula, both residents of APPU Enclave at Dwarka’s Sector 11. Their children are in the US.

On Wednesday afternoon, the victims’ family members alleged that the car was driven by Deepakshi’s younger sister. “Police later checked other CCTV footage and found that the car was driven by her sister and within some minutes, when people were rescuing the couple, Deepakshi and her father reached at the spot and she confessed to the crime committed by her sister as they were scared Noopar would lose her job,” an officer said.
airbus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 07:43   #32634
BHPian

I have 0 sympathy for the errant driver. Texting and driving in NCR is a menace. This is so sad that 2 innocent lives were lost due to the callous actions of one person.

On subject of accidents by distracted drivers using phones, I wanted to share my recent experience.

Last week I was stopped at a traffic signal. Stationery vehicles. Was rear ended by a Suzuki Wagon R who then dragged my bike and me for a few metres. Luckily I was wearing my jacket and safety gear else I would be toast. The driver was with his whole family and was using Whatsapp while driving. Didn't pay attention to the red signal and just rear ended me.

Pics to show the damages. I am mighty pissed. Luckily no bones broken but got back injury now. Had to spend a day at the hospital. The tail end of my bike took the full impact, and I toppled to my left and got pinned under the bike. The driver dragged me and the bike, didn't brake and ended up driving his car on top of my rear wheel. The picture shows the white marks made by my bike's foot pegs and gear lever.

To add salt to my wounds, the cops at the intersection came over and blamed me for riding a bike. Said I should know better and drive a car.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210323wa0015.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210323wa0012.jpg  

Last edited by no_fear : 9th April 2021 at 07:49.
no_fear is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 07:58   #32635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post

To add salt to my wounds, the cops at the intersection came over and blamed me for riding a bike. Said I should know better and drive a car.
This is exactly the scenario, I'm afraid of riding a bike.

Hope you're doing good from the shock. Thank God, you're fine.

How is the Hypermotard? I believe it is a single-side swingarm, how much brunt it took?
Vasuki is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 08:19   #32636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
This is exactly the scenario, I'm afraid of riding a bike.

Hope you're doing good from the shock. Thank God, you're fine.

How is the Hypermotard? I believe it is a single-side swingarm, how much brunt it took?
Bike is ok, since the whole bloody thing toppled on me. Mostly plastics got damaged or scuffed, swing arm is ok. Only big damage is the rear wheel which got scratched. Thankfully insurance will take care of everything. Have to replace the plastic tank fairing, the exhaust guard, handlebar ends, mirrors and the gear shifter and passenger peg

Total damage estimate - get ready for Ducati dhamaka - 5.8 lacs

My experience is just to show how poor drivers can be on the road, and then you have these fellas using Whatsapp for directions.

Last edited by no_fear : 9th April 2021 at 08:25.
no_fear is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 08:40   #32637
BHPian

Quote:
My experience is just to show how poor drivers can be on the road, and then you have these fellas using Whatsapp for directions.
Did the person's license get canceled? At least suspended?
stallmaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 08:43   #32638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallmaster View Post
Did the person's license get canceled? At least suspended?
Stallmaster, you raised a very good point. I wanted to raise charges and file an FIR. Ultimately did not do so. If I did this, the following would happen

1. Both bike and car gets seized by cops and kept in the police station until matter is investigated and dealt with. This means months of police bureaucracy and associated woes.
2. Police officers were extremely rude and just blamed me for riding an "expensive" bike. Said if I want to ride a bike, do it at my own palace. They ignored the fact that the accident was recorded on CCTV and I was stationery at a red light. With the mind set of Delhi cops, I don't want to somehow get blamed as the culprit instead of the victim and attract more legal woes.

End result - Driver paid for the tow truck. I have his contact and insurance details, and thankfully I have 0 dep insurance, so I let the insurance company sort it out.

Driver's license was not suspended or cancelled. Challan issued to the driver and he settled it along with appropriate donation to our khaki law and order boys.

Last edited by no_fear : 9th April 2021 at 08:51.
no_fear is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 09:49   #32639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last week I was stopped at a traffic signal. Stationery vehicles. Was rear ended by a Suzuki Wagon R who then dragged my bike and me for a few metres. Luckily I was wearing my jacket and safety gear else I would be toast.
Glad to see that you got away without any serious injuries. I had once witnessed a bus rear-end a bike at red light onto a busy intersection and ever since if I am on a two wheeler I stick to the sides at the traffic lights and keep an eye on the rear mirror for morons.

Quote:
Total damage estimate - get ready for Ducati dhamaka - 5.8 lacs
Woah ! That is almost the price of that dude's Wagon R. Anyways do post a separate thread on the repair/restoration of the bike. Hope she will be up and running fine again soon.

Last edited by TrackDay : 9th April 2021 at 09:52.
TrackDay is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 11:27   #32640
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
There is a twist to this news. Also, probable cause of distraction was said to be checking WhatsApp messages
Seriously!!

Checking the whatsapp messages!

Holding a learner's license, driving on the road, and checking Whatsapp messages!

And even better part, the lady is an Assistant manager with a public sector bank, and her sister lied about herself being behind the wheel, so that she doesn't lose her job!

Where are we even heading as a society? This is not just 'causing death due to rash and negligent driving', this lady deserves to face the strictest of the punishment. There are 400 million whatsapp users in the country, imagine even if 10% of them start checking their messages while driving the car on the road?

People like these are seriously meant to be put inside the prisons, their mere presence in the society is a risk to others. That said, it's good that Youtube is there, at least with the video being circulated around, the possibility of proof tempering has gone down.
VKumar is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed