Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2021, 16:20   #32821
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Are we thinking of the same incident (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5068233). The rider of the bike escaped unhurt, it was the pillion who lost his life.
Yes. I should have clarified that properly. Given the way the pillion reacted with zero evasive action both him and the rider must have been punch drunk. One of the drunkard(friend riding pillion) is dead and hopefully the other is locked behind bars permanently making the roads a little safer. Pardon the lack of empathy towards such fellows but DUI and overspeeding is something I strongly grew to hate after an accident to a close friend who was knocked out of his bike by a drunkard 15yrs ago. The incident happened just outside the office. The drunkard had infact jumped signal to add insult to injury in this incident.

Last edited by venbas : 27th May 2021 at 16:27. Reason: Quote correction
venbas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 18:46   #32822
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
Yes. I should have clarified that properly. Given the way the pillion reacted with zero evasive action both him and the rider must have been punch drunk. ...
"Punch drunk" has a different meaning, which is actually nothing to do with alcohol: google.

These days, I can't bring myself to watch videos of death, but I am still watching the thread, and the descriptions have been plain enough. Did he forget that he had a passenger?
Old 27th May 2021, 19:14   #32823
BHPian

One more idiot on the road

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-slide.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPDsdGIH...7vVI3KCUfY-k20
Sarvodaya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 19:12   #32824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I'm sorry, didn't know it got taken down (which is suspicious in and of itself). The video was made available by the Cyberabad police.

In any case, the video showed a 4 lane divided highway. There was a long break in the median where the CCTV camera was focused. A white Fortuner comes toward the camera at legal speeds and within its lane - quite disciplined. For some reason it begins swerving a bit to its left and a red TUV 300 presently veers into its path via the break in the median and strikes its front right headlamp area at a very high speed. The Fortuner almost capsizes to its left but lands on its wheels. A visibly dazed and hurt lady ambles out from behind the Fortuner's steering wheel and sits down by the roadside. Both cars took the brunt of the crash well, with neither cabin getting impacted. No one died.
This happened near my house. This is not a 4-lane highway. This road connects Gopanapally to Q city (Hyderabad). There is a temple in the middle of the road and left lane becomes a single lane for around 50 meters. Just before the temple is a left turn to a stone crusher/quarry. A lot of heavy trucks take this left turn and the road here is filled/covered with a thick layer of mud/dust thanks to the mud tracks the trucks use to reach the quarry. I believe that the TUV driver assumed that it was a dead end and tried to merge with oncoming traffic, though I can never know what that driver was thinking when he made the manoeuvre. Just before the temple, there are ample markings that the road on the left would get narrow though. The official speed limit on that road is 30 btw. There is a petrol bunk just ahead of the accident site and people driving on the wrong side to reach the fuel station is an everyday affair at that place.

The single left lane beside the temple will sometimes be blocked by the locals/autowallahs where they usually arrange for food distribution and perform Pooja during weekends sometimes. This was pre-COVID. I am not sure if this was the case though on that particular day though.

Coming to the accident, the driver of the Fortuner escaped with a fractured hand. I have no information on the driver of the TUV though.

Here is the exact location of the crash:
https://goo.gl/maps/Zq73jWwMNt6qNSoZ6
furyrider is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 00:28   #32825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyrider View Post
I believe that the TUV driver assumed that it was a dead end and tried to merge with oncoming traffic, though I can never know what that driver was thinking when he made the manoeuvre.
No way this is how someone would attempt to do a merge.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20210530002307_youtube.jpg

The left lane is open as well. Surely the reason is a mystery.
balenoed_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 12:29   #32826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
One more idiot on the road
Really stupid. These facebook and instagram reels have brought more stupids like these. The other guy unnecessarily bore the brunt. Any idea if he was compensated.
saisree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 10:26   #32827
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyrider View Post
TThere is a temple in the middle of the road and left lane becomes a single lane for around 50 meters.

A lot of heavy trucks take this left turn and the road here is filled/covered with a thick layer of mud/dust thanks to the mud tracks the trucks use to reach the quarry. ]
I think we have the answer right there. Unless any stimulants were involved, I am assuming the TUV driver was unfamiliar with the road and also at cruising speeds. He/she was caught completely by surprise by the sudden narrowing of the nice 2 lane road (and/or spooked by a vehicle which popped out of the quarry road), jammed on the brakes and locked the front wheels (which were already coated with gravel/muck), and went straight into the unlucky Fortuner.

On a nicer day, the TUV would have regained control on an empty highway or worst case crashed into the guardrail. It's another matter that the temple exists like it does. I am assuming there are minimal warning signs too.
Old 31st May 2021, 16:42   #32828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladRagu View Post
Is there any way the fortuner could have escaped from this accident?
My guess could be that the fortuner driver is shell shocked and freezed seeing the TUV suddenly limiting from taking any action.
ManneAtWheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 21:24   #32829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManneAtWheelz View Post
My guess could be that the fortuner driver is shell shocked and freezed seeing the TUV suddenly limiting from taking any action.
I'm surprised you'd say that; you can see her swerving to her left so as to present the front right corner of her Fortuner to meet the oncoming TUV 300. That's all I'd have done too since there was hardly a second's time to react. To make things worse, these Body on Frame vehicles cannot be aggressively manoeuvred (as you can appreciate, I'm sure, being a Marazzo owner yourself); the lady could have done some aggressive steering and rolled over or perhaps plowed into the pedestrians...
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 18:10   #32830
Senior - BHPian

An ever increasing breed of signal jumpers. Hope they understand the risks involved and change.

A non-fatal accident at Aramghar Crossroad, Rajednranagar published by Cyberabad Traffic Police for road safety educational purpose.
sarathlal is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 18:34   #32831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
An ever increasing breed of signal jumpers. Hope they understand the risks involved and change.[/url]
Jumping the light and overtaking a vehicle which results in blocking of view of the incoming traffic, what could go wrong?
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 18:55   #32832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
An ever increasing breed of signal jumpers. Hope they understand the risks involved and change.

A non-fatal accident at Aramghar Crossroad, Rajednranagar published by Cyberabad Traffic Police for road safety educational purpose.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=tKkH6gIN5wA
Looks like no one spotted the other. There was no hint of swerving or braking either from the Mahindra pick up nor the truck. The Eeco drivers view was blocked anyway.
It looked like the Mahindra driver and the Eeco driver were in a signal drag race and probably why he didn't notice the truck approaching and the truck driver didn't bother slowing down as the signal had turned amber for him already. All three guilty of jumping the signal.

Last edited by tharian : 7th June 2021 at 18:57.
Old 7th June 2021, 19:50   #32833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Looks like no one spotted the other. There was no hint of swerving or braking either from the Mahindra pick up nor the truck. The Eeco drivers view was blocked anyway.
It looked like the Mahindra driver and the Eeco driver were in a signal drag race and probably why he didn't notice the truck approaching and the truck driver didn't bother slowing down as the signal had turned amber for him already. All three guilty of jumping the signal.
Don't think we can blame the truck driver. There is hardly a two second gap from when his signal turns amber to him crossing the stop line.

It's raining, the road is already pretty wet, it's a loaded truck ...I don't think he could have stopped even if he wanted too.

But yes, it didn't look like any of them tried to brake.
JithinR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 21:39   #32834
BHPian

The truck crossed when the light was green, the light turned yellow after the impact. The Pick up and Eeco clearly jumped light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Looks like no one spotted the other.
Quote:
Don't think we can blame the truck driver. There is hardly a two second gap from when his signal turns amber to him crossing the stop line.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20210607-21.32.38.png
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20210607-21.32.46.png
setuniket is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 22:03   #32835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It's raining, the road is already pretty wet, it's a loaded truck ...I don't think he could have stopped even if he wanted too.

But yes, it didn't look like any of them tried to brake.
Agreed, he was also speeding from the looks of it probably to clear the signal and assuming that the Mahindra pick up will see him and stop. Being a truck driver, he should have known better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
The truck crossed when the light was green, the light turned yellow after the impact. The Pick up and Eeco clearly jumped light.
Watch the time on the video. The signal turned amber two seconds before the truck crossed the line.

Last edited by tharian : 7th June 2021 at 22:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks