Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2021, 19:07   #33106
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
@YD-14
Even I also tell all my friends to avoid traveling to Uttarakhand during monsoon. But one particular thing I have noticed is that this all weather road stuff has increased the frequency and intensity of landslides and all multi fold, I have never seen such a large number of land slides when we had those older and narrower roads. Ironically, the above mentioned accident seems to have occurred on the old section itself.
Yes, it was pretty much expected that the all weather road work will raise the frequency of landslides significantly. I still remember when the Pauri-Devprayag road was widened from single lane to accommodating for two vehicles (not a proper two lane road), during the monsoon, there would be a landslide fest. Almost everybody inquired about the road's condition from taxi drivers before traveling on it. Once, when was around 9 to 10 years old, I had to cross two muddy landslides on foot each day for one week to reach school as my exams were going on. These days the machines appear on site quickly and make the road passable for small vehicles within 3 to 4 hours. But after 3 to 4 years the mountain had become stable and frequency of landslides eventually returned back to normal. But since more extensive cutting work has been done for the all weather road project, I expect the normalization time to be even higher. Hopefully after that we will enjoy good roads.

Quote:
Yesterday I drove from Rishikesh to Tehri, I was seriously surprised looking at the number of land slides and the rocks those have fallen on the road. At a few points which have always been hot spots like Agrakhal, Fakot etc. They have been clearing the rocks and boulders from the road every 2-3 hours in fact. The people accompanying me were from Delhi and they were hell scared looking at all this and were quite sure that the route may completely get closed till the time of return.
And when the road actually closes the experience makes for a lasting memory. Once a team of inspectors had come to the college my father teaches in. When they were returning a landslides had occurred on the Devprayag-Rishikesh section. After hours of wait, the drivers (yup, college had to hire two Innovas for six people) decided to take the alternate route of Devprayag-Gaja-Narendra Nagar-Rishikesh as the officials had a flight to catch that day. Turned out that another landslide had occurred near Devprayag after they crossed it. They returned to the landslide site near Rishikesh and waited for it to clear with no food or water for hours. It took them almost 10 hours to reach Rishikesh that day and they obviously missed their flight. They were actually taking out their anger on the person from college in-charge of making arrangements for them, for what happened.
YD14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 22:54   #33107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Momentum = mass*velocity

Pressure = Force/Area or Force per unit area
Thanks for working out the maths (or Physics). It's been close to two decades out of engineering college, so I am losing touch.

That said, my earlier post was related to the structure. Vehicle roof is not structure. A stronger structure may fare better than a weak one. Few pages back there were multiple posts discussing the structural integrity of a BMW that had rolled down a clif in Leh (IIRC).

Similarly, would structure of new Creta provide better protection in the situation of impact compared to old Creta; Probably, trunks of elephants were twisted too much and main point was lost.
Old 21st July 2021, 23:14   #33108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Similarly, would structure of new Creta provide better protection in the situation of impact compared to old Creta; Probably, trunks of elephants were twisted too much and main point was lost.
The roof of most cars have no structure as such apart from one or two small cross-beams to keep the body rigid. Otherwise, it's just a sheet of metal with thickness varying slightly according to the car. So if a heavy boulder directly lands on the roof, no car would be able to take the impact, crushing the occupants within.
Image for reference:
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-unnamed.jpg  

nitkel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 18:44   #33109
BHPian

A Mahindra Bolero gets hit by a goods train! In an attempt to save toll fee, Bolero driver ends up with this absurdity.

News Link
Old 22nd July 2021, 20:58   #33110
Distinguished - BHPian

Thankfully, the goods train doesn't appear to be really "speeding," else that car would have been picked up in pieces.

Do I understand correctly that this guy went off road to avoid a toll? Don't know whether to laugh or cry at what that ended up costing him. But what if he had caused a derailment? What if it had been an actually-speeding passenger train? Doesn't bear thinking about.

What about driving over a bare railway track? Anyone sane, eg in rural areas, actually do this? My guess is that the vehicle would always get stuck.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 05:22   #33111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Do I understand correctly that this guy went off road to avoid a toll? .
This practice can be seen in some rural areas, often as a byproduct of poor planning (of course, not recommended at all) where people need to get to other side of the track, but have no overbridge/underbridge in the vicinity. A village near my hometown has half of its fields on other side of track and the route with an overbridge is 15+ km, while crossing the track reduces it to 2-3 kms only !!
So at times, costs manage to overpower critical thinking
RaviK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 23:31   #33112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyingguy View Post
I think they were not delivering the car but explaining the functions of the car to the new owner.

If I look at 0:39, the car door is open and the dealer representative is explaining something to the owner.
I think this happened just before the actual delivery. When I took delivery of my car, after the customary Pooja, the dealership asked me to move the car a few inches forward and then hand the car back to the driver. The exit had a steep ramp which would be quite a challenge even for experienced drivers. The showroom’s driver then took over and safely handed the car over to me in the parking lot.

I believe something similar happened in this case as well. The dealership must’ve asked the gentleman to move the car a few inches and stop. This unfortunately did not go well though.
Old 25th July 2021, 08:28   #33113
Senior - BHPian

Saw this Jaguar crashed into an electric pole in Kodaikanal. This is on the lake road.
Airbags have been deployed. This is just after a left turn where the outer edge has wet leaves and mud.
The car must have entered the corner with bit more speed and hit the wet patch causing the car to oversteer into the pole.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20210725_064424.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20210725_064430.jpg  

speedmiester is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 10:39   #33114
Senior - BHPian

Actress Yashika Anand injured, her friend dies in accident after their car hit the median and toppled at ECR near Mahabalipuram. According to reports, the accident happened around 11.45 pm on Saturday.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20210725_103704.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20210725_103707.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20210725_103719.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20210725_103722.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 11:16   #33115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Actress Yashika Anand injured, her friend dies in accident after their car hit the median and toppled at ECR near Mahabalipuram. According to reports, the accident happened around 11.45 pm on Saturday.

Attachment 2183503

Attachment 2183504

Attachment 2183505

Attachment 2183506

Link
The structure looks rather stable and has taken the hit rather well. Chances are that seat belts weren't worn and that has, unfortunately, led to the loss of a life.

Seat belts continue to be the most underrated / unused feature of a car even in 2021.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th July 2021 at 12:36. Reason: Typos
Turbohead is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 11:54   #33116
BANNED

Tata Harrier safety ratings in question again

Mods - please remove/append this to any other thread as appropriate. I couldn't find any and hence starting new.

Novice here. While am not aware of the conditions in which this accident happened, the pics make me revisit Tata Harrier's safety standard.

https://twitter.com/itisprasanthu/st...036032/photo/1
https://twitter.com/itisprasanthu/st...036032/photo/2
https://twitter.com/itisprasanthu/st...036032/photo/3
https://twitter.com/itisprasanthu/st...036032/photo/4
vjoy3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 12:01   #33117
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier safety ratings in question again

I don't understand. Could you please elaborate more as to how from these pictures you arrived at the conclusion that Harrier is unsafe?
corvus corax is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 12:04   #33118
BHPian

Judging a car's safety by looking at some accident pics without even knowing the conditions in which it happened is something that should be best left to FB groups.

Let's wait till it gets crash tested before labelling it anything
porsche_guy is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 12:04   #33119
BHPian

I don't understand why the pictures make you revisit the safety standards?
The cabin is intact, there is no cabin intrusion of any kind (as the impact was not frontal i guess), airbags have deployed and the car has, as far as I can see, has taken the impact quite well. Yes the rear portion has gone down but then it was an accident, some deformation is expected anyway depending on the speed and the situation.
Candy$Cars is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 12:15   #33120
Senior - BHPian

Very soon, some Youtubers will pick up these images and prepare a video out of it, by performing 'expert' analysis on the mangled metal panels.

Hyundai & Tata Fans will go on war, criticizing each other's metal panel thicknesses and body structures.

Of course, no one would care that someone has died in this incident.
abhishek46 is offline   (36) Thanks

Most Viewed