Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2021, 09:29   #33166
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
The riders survived, the Superintendent of Police had made a statement that their survival is solely because they both were wearing helmets.
MSM update: https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le35571477.ece

Quote:
Vinod, along with driver Sathish Kumar, and his friends Gouthamraj and Arunkumar, went to Poomani temple in Sankari here on Sunday to offer prayers to get rid of their addiction to alcohol. They were coming back in inebriated condition in the car when the accident occurred
binand is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 10:20   #33167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Others are too guilty, because they fled away from the crime scene, per se.

Glad that the bikers are safe, Thank God.

ps: Today I was driving my bike, and each second I was glancing the rearview mirror for such imbeciles, man that video gives me chill.
On a long drive Looking over the back for such squids is extremely tiresome and a little dangerous considering the regular moron we need to watch ahead of us. Even on best of days I have been snuck up within inches when some car(s) or speeding bike(s) decide to overtake on my lane without any warning. Riding a big bike like Bullet it's not practical to go to the shoulder of the road in a second or keep riding on the narrow shoulder. I have driven some of the modern SUVs during a visit in Stockholm and they used to warn me whenever I am close enough to a vehicle.

REQUEST TO TEAM BHPians :
For this reason I was checking if there are any vehicle radar/warning devices available in India that I can fit on my bike/car to warn me when such morons sneak up near me. I usually give enough gap for the vehicle ahead and can manage surprises on that part. Only need to be warned of morons sneaking up behind. Any devices that are practically helpful in such situations please share.

Last edited by venbas : 28th July 2021 at 10:26. Reason: Typos
venbas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 10:35   #33168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
On a long drive Looking over the back for such squids is extremely tiresome and a little dangerous considering the regular moron we need to watch ahead of us. Even on best of days I have been snuck up within inches when some car(s) or speeding bike(s) decide to overtake on my lane without any warning. Riding a big bike like Bullet it's not practical to go to the shoulder of the road in a second or keep riding on the narrow shoulder. I have driven some of the modern SUVs during a visit in Stockholm and they used to warn me whenever I am close enough to a vehicle.

For this reason I was checking if there are any vehicle radar/warning devices available in India that I can fit on my bike/car to warn me when such morons sneak up near me. I usually give enough gap for the vehicle ahead and can manage surprises on that part. Only need to be warned of morons sneaking up behind. Any devices that are practically helpful in such situations please share.
Exactly it is really tiresome and dangerous.

It would be a boon if we have something aftermarket for blind spot detection for bikes/cars. if you search it in google, some systems do pop up. Don't know how much help it would be in the Indian traffic context. Also in the Creta accident case don't know how it would help us, as these systems have a pretty limited range, and it will not activate until the vehicle is pretty near to you.

The latest offering from the Ducati Multistrada family has this blind spot detection, which is the way to go.

As of now the only safety device which I have is, I pray to god literally for 5 minutes, before an outing on the bike.

Last edited by Vasuki : 28th July 2021 at 10:40.
Vasuki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 10:56   #33169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also in the Creta accident case don't know how it would help us, as these systems have a pretty limited range, and it will not activate until the vehicle is pretty near to you.
The speed and swaying way Creta came behind the bike, even if there was a system to detect it, there wasn't any time for bike rider to react.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 11:00   #33170
BHPian

Quote:

For this reason I was checking if there are any vehicle radar/warning devices available in India that I can fit on my bike/car to warn me when such morons sneak up near me.
Certainly such systems are available and here's the thing - you'll either turn them off soon or will start hating your drives after you install them! My car has front corner parking sensors and whenever I drive inside city, they beep so frequently that I have subconsciously learnt to ignore it!
Everytime a two wheeler overtakes or whenever driving on the lane close to a median/curb, when I overtake someone with less than 1m gap etc, it beeps louder than those speed warnings!
Had it been a radar, my life will be crazy everytime I drive!

Last edited by nagr22 : 28th July 2021 at 11:04.
Old 28th July 2021, 11:28   #33171
BHPian

Quote:
I'm not aware of any such systems and would be apprehensive about the efficacy of such systems as well.

My general guiding principles for being safe on the road are as below:
  1. 100% focus, 100% of time. No music or any other form of entertainment. For me though, riding itself is pleasurable and the engine noise is music.
  2. Match the average speed of the road you're travelling on. A variation of +/- 10kmph is acceptable.
  3. Avoid lingering beside ANY vehicle for more than 10 seconds, especially large vehicles. If a vehicle lingers next to you, either fall back and create gap or overtake and create gap based on speed, situation etc. Use strong judgement but create gap. If your overtaking maneuver is going to take >10s then you really do not need to overtake that vehicle.
  4. Always stay outside of the vehicle blind spot. Never tailgate any vehicle (reduces the chances of a vehicle coming from behind to detect you).

Of course, despite all of this morons exist and there is risk always.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 28th July 2021 at 11:30.
krishnakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 11:38   #33172

Quote:

ps: Today I was driving my bike, and each second I was glancing the rearview mirror for such imbeciles, man that video gives me chill.
Yes, many irresponsible people on road. This is the main reason I rarely hop on a motorcycle, let alone go for a ride on highways. However safe and sound the riders are, due to others' irresponsibility, unfortunately, riders end up paying the price.

Quote:
Regarding that creta accident that knocked out the 2 guys on the motorcycle, we have the update on news.

All 4 were drunk. What I fail to understand is how can cops charge all 4 when the driver alone is at fault here, legally.
I would like to disagree. If all four of them were drunk, they are equally responsible for abetting this hideous act by the driver and showing no respect towards human life. At the least, accepting the mistake (stopping and helping) is way better than just running away like it is nothing. Absolutely inhumane.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th July 2021 at 18:11. Reason: Quote fixed
SatJordan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 12:52   #33173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The riders survived, the Superintendent of Police had made a statement that their survival is solely because they both were wearing helmets.
Good to hear they survived.

I sincerely pray that there is not permanent disability caused due to spinal injuries to the pillion.

May the Creta driver rot!
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 16:22   #33174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Have personally observed these kind of rash overtaking behaviors increase after the lockdown on our highways.

Especially gets worse during the return leg on after a weekend in the evenings on highways when most are in a great hurry to reach home and frantically trying to overtake each other.
I have to travel a lot for business often upto 700 km same day trips, and I usually do about 2 lakh km in 4-5 Yrs before changing cars and I have dome that for 20 of the last 29 years since I started driving.
In recent years I have started avoiding Friday afternoon to Sunday night and holidays. These days have more people who are not used to highways, and who easily get angry chase some one who cut them off etc.
Other days have more of trucks, business ppl in their Innovas and other business cars who keep stick to a high 2 digit cruising speed and do not do rash overtakes.

Quote:
This is my worst nightmare riding a 2 wheeler on our highways. You are on the slow lane minding your business, cruising with eye on road ahead and in broad daylight...just enjoying the drive and in peace with nature and yourself when all of a sudden a dumb squid on 4 wheels decides to take you out from the back.
Worse are the idiots who overtake trucks when they barely have a little more than half a lane available, and then cut across these heavy vehicles forcing them to move close to two wheelers.

About a month back I was between Satara and Karad, and a truck was doing about 60 in LH lane and cars ahead of me were passing it between 80-100. Truck put on the RHS indicator, and started moving RHS, 2 cars ahead of me squeezed by while I slowed down. A idiot in an Rapid overtook me from LHS changed to RHS lane quiet close to me and with horns blaring tried to squeeze through, the truck had to swerve to the LH and scrape against a slow moving JCB which was driving with two wheels on the shoulder, where as this Rapid disappeared leaving his rear bumper on the road.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 19:54   #33175
Distinguished - BHPian

Errant two-wheelers is becoming a feature of this and the bad-drivers thread --- and the reasons are obvious. Not all two-wheelers are squids: out to impress themselves and their girlfriends, and getting thrills from dangerous driving. Many of the are sedate, even elderly folk just interested in getting from A to B. And yet, if they ever knew it, they seem to have forgotten the basics of simply-safe driving/riding in recent years --- like looking before entering a road, or before changing lanes.

Of course, another side of the coin is the treatment that two-wheel folk get from their fellow road users on four wheels. It is sad to see people here, who would be among the responsible two-wheelers, getting put off even taking their bikes out.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 20:20   #33176
Distinguished - BHPian

A seven car pile up on the on the LP bridge at Nerul on the Sion-Panvel highway this morning, caused a huge traffic jam. A car coming towards Mumbai crashed into another moving in the same direction at 9.45 am. Both the cars ended up to hit five other cars that also got involved causing the seven car pile up. The jam could be only cleared by 11.00 am. No one was injured the report states.

More here :-

https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...ource=inshorts
Old 28th July 2021, 22:37   #33177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Can someone throw light on why one of the riders had his legs shaking after the impact ?
Looks like he was throwing seizures (fits) to me. Unless proven otherwise, I would assume that he sustained significant head injury (I hope he didn't).

Really terrible thing to happen, to an innocent soul minding his own business on the road.

The creta driver should get exemplary punishment.
Old 28th July 2021, 23:12   #33178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT but,

IMPOSSIBLE at the moment unless a company that provides autonomous driving solutions decides to do so since this would require a high number of sensors including cameras in order to work flawlessly in a local setup. What I mean to say is; the system would need to be able to distinguish between objects that are nearby simply because you are overtaking/being overtaken or in the vicinity of vehicles that you are aware of, and objects that are travelling towards you at a high rate of speed. For this one would need a 360 degree camera feed consisting of radar, lidar and infrared sensors which would all need to be linked up to a software that is able to estimate rate of travel measured between extremely short distances within milliseconds.

Another route could be a more accurate gps (cannot stress enough how accurate this would need to be) based attachment that is mandated to be fitted on all vehicles which can network with eachother and warn eachother of actions that may obstruct or impede one's flow of movement.

Situational awareness is the best and only available solution. Constantly check mirrors, be aware of traffic flow, realise when you are in a bottlenecked scenario that might leave you with less road to evade a situation, etc.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 28th July 2021 at 23:15.
Old 29th July 2021, 03:39   #33179
Distinguished - BHPian

All that technology is rendered unnecessary by one group of people using mirrors, and another group of people being persuaded not to drive like manic ego monsters.

Do I have much hope? Especially of the second group: no.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 12:30   #33180
Senior - BHPian

Badged v/s Re-badged. Happened today in Kannur, Kerala.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20210729-10.45.55-1.jpeg

Who has the right of way in this situation? I guess Terrano (the one toppled) does. But may be Duster too, as it already was half through in crossing the junction.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20210729-10.45.56-1.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20210729-10.45.56.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20210729-10.45.55.jpeg

Pic/video courtesy: Respective owners

Last edited by balenoed_ : 29th July 2021 at 12:44.
balenoed_ is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed