Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2021, 12:45   #33181
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Who has the right of way in this situation? I guess Terrano (the one toppled) does.
From the video, the junction seems to be between equal roads - not sure if one is a bigger (SH/ NH type) and the other is a bylane.

But, irrespective of which one has right of way, both the cars are at fault. The speeds they were at is definitely not suited for this road and junction.

When drivers assume that the other party will be mindful of me, accidents like this will happen.
ph03n!x is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 12:54   #33182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
B

Who has the right of way in this situation? I guess Terrano (the one toppled) does. But may be Duster too, as it already was half through in crossing the junction.
The vehicle on the right has the right of way if everything is equal.

In this case though, the Duster had already entered the intersection and therefore the Terrano should have yielded.

Yielding is, of course, an unknown concept in India! As is "right of way". But both are specified in the MVA
sridhu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 13:13   #33183
BHPian

The least they could do was at least HONK!
May be that could have alerted them of each others' presence.
Both are equally at fault with that sort of speed.
RavSam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 13:37   #33184
BHPian

Quote:
Badged v/s Re-badged. Happened today in Kannur, Kerala.

Attachment 2185209

Who has the right of way in this situation? I guess Terrano (the one toppled) does. But maybe Duster too, as it already was half through in crossing the junction.

This is what I fear the most when entering such crossings.
Old 29th July 2021, 14:00   #33185
BHPian

Quote:
Who has the right of way in this situation?
Looks like city road to me. Going at 60+ in a 30kmph zone doesn't give right of way.
Both drivers should have slowed down and crossed the road. Seems to be the Duster was at lower speed compared to Terrano.

One good thing that Terrano guy didn't hit the bike who was on wrong side.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 14:11   #33186
BHPian

Quote:
Who has the right of way in this situation? I guess Terrano (the one toppled) does. But may be Duster too, as it already was half through in crossing the junction.
This is about 1km away from my house. It is difficult to determine the right of way in this junction as both the roads have somewhat equal stature.

I've seen people driving fast through these junctions during late nights and early mornings assuming there is no vehicle approaching. The roads being smooth makes them hesitant to slow down. I always watch out in this junction as I knew something like this was bound to happen some day. Surely the people in the locality would be more careful but I hope the authorities consider placing a speed breaker on all 4 sides soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
The least they could do was at least HONK!
May be that could have alerted them of each others' presence.
Both are equally at fault with that sort of speed.
I agree both are at fault for slowing down. But since the Terrano clearly T-boned the Duster, doesn't the major fault lie with the Terrano driver?
logicalidiot is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 15:17   #33187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

In this case though, the Duster had already entered the intersection and therefore the Terrano should have yielded.

Yielding is, of course, an unknown concept in India! As is "right of way". But both are specified in the MVA
Even if the Authorities put a YIELD signage prominently on one of the roads I doubt our folks will understand that...The authorities should do either or ALL of a roundabout, signal or speed breakers to moron proof the road. Might still not suffice but atleast the speeds will be controlled. If only there had been common sense instead of Iron man type bravado from the drivers both these vehicles would have come out unscathed.

Last edited by venbas : 29th July 2021 at 15:19. Reason: Typos
Old 29th July 2021, 15:17   #33188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post

but I hope the authorities consider placing a speed breaker on all 4 sides soon.
This is the only real solution. It seems to be a no-brainer in such situations and a glaring omission by the authorities.

Regarding the right of way, even if the roads are of equal size there are rules to dictate who gets the right of way.

This is an excerpt taken from the Motor Vehicles (Driving) Regulations, 2017

Under Point 9 (page 20), it is clearly mentioned as given below:

Quote:
(2) At intersections and junctions, vehicles approaching from the right side shall have the right of way:
Provided that this sub-regulation shall not apply,-
(a) when the junction or intersection is being regulated by manual signals by an authorised person, traffic lights or mandatory traffic signs; or
(b) when the vehicle is exiting a minor road and entering a major road
This is the exact same case applicable to this intersection.

Terrano did have the right of way legally.

However, both of them are at wrong. Because they flouted the most important point mentioned in (1) under Point 9, as given below:

Quote:
(1) The vehicle shall invariably slow down when approaching a road intersection, a road junction, a pedestrian crossing or a road corner, and shall not enter any such intersection, junction or crossing if it is likely to endanger the safety of other road users moving onto, or already on, such intersection, road junction, pedestrian crossing or road corner.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 29th July 2021 at 15:19.
krishnakumar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 23:26   #33189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Badged v/s Re-badged. Happened today in Kannur, Kerala.

Not saying this is one, but sometimes the road is really good and then there is no warning of a junction. It will catch one by surprise is they are not familiar with the road. The best approach would be getting some measure to slow down traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
This is about 1km away from my house. It is difficult to determine the right of way in this junction as both the roads have somewhat equal stature.
Is it the location mentioned below ? From some of the signboards, got this as the possible location. Feed the data below into google maps.

11°52'37.3"N 75°23'00.3"E

Thank goodness they have a hospital nearby.
Old 30th July 2021, 00:22   #33190
Team-BHP Support

I have three observations to make about the Duster-Terrano accident (hilarious that it was these two cars that came together, but I hope everyone is alright)

1) Thumb rule: Always, and I mean ALWAYS, slow down at crossings. No matter how smooth the road is.

2) Both cars are at fault here for entering the junction at speed.

3) Installing speed breakers is NOT the solution.
suhaas307 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 07:40   #33191
BHPian

Any reason why the Terrano toppled? Usually in such T bone accidents, the vehicle taking the hit on its side (running board) is the one that topples. Just like the Dzire vs Creta accident seen on this thread.
Old 30th July 2021, 08:23   #33192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Is it the location mentioned below ?
11°52'37.3"N 75°23'00.3"E

Thank goodness they have a hospital nearby.
Yes, that's the exact junction where the accident took place. The hospital being less than 100 metres, the passengers could have even walked down to the hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
Any reason why the Terrano toppled?
I'm not an expert in determining the cause but if you notice closely, Terrano's steering was turned to the right after the hit due to the impact. I believe the car wouldn't have toppled had the steering been straight.
Old 30th July 2021, 08:25   #33193
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

It’s SO refreshing to hear these two rules being cited. Too many drivers are not even aware of these general principle. Same (right of way to vehicle on right) applies at roundabouts as well.

This was one of the early lessons I still recall receiving from my mum before I had even set palms on to steering wheel and learnt to drive from her.

The practised rule in India in lieu of Yielding is Yelling!!
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 09:32   #33194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

3) Installing speed breakers is NOT the solution.
So, what do you suggest?

Installing common sense is not an option either.
FORTified is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 10:24   #33195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
So, what do you suggest?

Installing common sense is not an option either.
Well, off the top of my head I would say a complete revision and overhaul to the licensing system.

Secondly, I would say installing large stop signs, LED warning lights and convex mirrors at all corners is also a good idea.

Thirdly, an instant and automated fine, triggered by sensors, to anyone doing more than 10 km as they enter the junction.

I can think of many other alternatives as well. But certainly, speed breakers are never the answer.
suhaas307 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks