Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2021, 10:34   #33196
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Recently I was in a touch and go minor accident in my Triber. Have uploaded the video on YouTube. Even after being a driver from Mandi (Himachal Pradesh), as per car's registration details, the idiot probably forgot to put the car on hand brake before he lifted his foot off the brake, and rolled back and hit my car on the left side

AdityaDeane is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 10:37   #33197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Well, off the top of my head I would say a complete revision and overhaul to the licensing system.

Secondly, I would say installing large stop signs, LED warning lights and convex mirrors at all corners is also a good idea.

Thirdly, an instant and automated fine, triggered by sensors, to anyone doing more than 10 km as they enter the junction.

I can think of many other alternatives as well. But certainly, speed breakers are never the answer.
These alternatives sound good under ideal conditions [where these options will not be needed ]

In India, where you will find a billion such crossings, multi-million uneducated drivers, Fund-starved economy, barely manned police force, justice system that is crumbling under case pressure - Not sure if any ONE of these alternatives are feasible, let alone ALL. Also, unless all of them are in place, they won't be effective, you will agree.

Unless there is some feasible solution that is viable, I don't see any other way out of this situation except for speed breakers.
FORTified is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 10:44   #33198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Even after being a driver from Mandi (Himachal Pradesh), as per car's registration details, the idiot probably forgot to put the car on hand brake before he lifted his foot off the brake, and rolled back and hit my car on the left side
Well, in the words of mighty Alonso, "All the time you have to leave the space". In this case, you didn't leave any. IMHO, you're in the fault just as much as him, if not more.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-triber.jpg

Last edited by Keeleri_Achu : 30th July 2021 at 10:46.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 10:57   #33199
BHPian

This news broadcast is about a youngster who lost his life doing some stunts, and it appears to be his job for posting on social media, from the looks of this video clips, he appears to be insane, to say the least. He has been injured earlier too and survived, but to no avail. In fact his friends were planning to post the video of his death too, quite heartless chaps. Pity his parents. RIP.

sparky@home is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 10:59   #33200
BHPian

Quote:
Recently I was in a touch and go minor accident in my Triber. Have uploaded the video on YouTube. Even after being a driver from Mandi (Himachal Pradesh), as per car's registration details, the idiot probably forgot to put the car on hand brake before he lifted his foot off the brake, and rolled back and hit my car on the left side

https://Youtu.be/yPMDmnHGlvA

A great reminder for all of us to leave sufficient gap to the vehicle in front especially on inclines. Idiots like these exist everywhere on our roads.

From the dashcam video it isn't clear whether there was sufficient space (at least appears like it was closer than where it should have been) but it could just be the perspective of the video.
krishnakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 11:13   #33201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post

From the dashcam video it isn't clear whether there was sufficient space (at least appears like it was closer than where it should have been) but it could just be the perspective of the video.
If you notice, the front car hadn't had to roll back a lot before hitting.
That means there isn't much gap between the two cars at that time.
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 11:29   #33202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
This news broadcast is about a youngster who lost his life doing some stunts, and it appears to be his job for posting on social media, from the looks of this video clips, he appears to be insane, to say the least. He has been injured earlier too and survived, but to no avail. In fact his friends were planning to post the video of his death too, quite heartless chaps. Pity his parents. RIP.

https://Youtu.be/SIyR0pFKuOI
Call me extremely callous, but I have no sympathy for folks who put themselves and others in danger doing this for "show".

These squids are the No.1 reason why KTM has such a bad brand image in India.

When I was buying the 390 Adventure, EVERY single person I know asked me if I was mad, said it's dangerous. Why are you buying that bike?

What's worse when genuine riders like me and others get into a real accident, the RTO impounds the vehicle, insurance denies claims and we have to go through a whole lot of ordeal just because in everyone's mind "the KTM guy was probably wrong". Not kidding. This has happened to quite a few as told by the service center guys.
krishnakumar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 13:36   #33203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post
Well, in the words of mighty Alonso, "All the time you have to leave the space". In this case, you didn't leave any. IMHO, you're in the fault just as much as him, if not more.

Attachment 2185759
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
A great reminder for all of us to leave sufficient gap to the vehicle in front especially on inclines. Idiots like these exist everywhere on our roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
If you notice, the front car hadn't had to roll back a lot before hitting.
That means there isn't much gap between the two cars at that time.
Well I believe that there was only about 1.5 feet or so between us, as I had to take that left and he seemed to be proceeding straight-right. I believe that he got terrified by seeing that red Merc turn/drive in front of him and rolled back to give him space, but even then a casual horn or reverse gear light would have been warning enough for me to move back.

I acknowledge my mistake in not keeping sufficient space, but cannot fathom the reckless attitude of that driver to not even come out and see what damage did he cause to his car and/or mine, and just proceed on as nothing happened there and is all normal. No sorry exchanged as well for his callousness!
AdityaDeane is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 13:53   #33204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Badged v/s Re-badged. Happened today in Kannur, Kerala.

Who has the right of way in this situation? I guess Terrano (the one toppled) does. But may be Duster too, as it already was half through in crossing the junction.
Looking at the end positions of vehicles, steered wheel angles, and post-impact slide marks of duster; I think the situation unfolded something like this.

Terrano tried to make left turn into the T-point at higher than normal speed. Duster was trying to turn left into the main road at normal/ slow speed. Terrano impacted Duster pushing it off-road. Since Terrano was into LH turn at higher speed, CG shift was outward of turn curve, toppling it.

Crude sketch :

Name:  Collision.PNG
Views: 3032
Size:  6.4 KB
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 14:05   #33205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Terrano tried to make left turn into the T-point at higher than normal speed. Duster was trying to turn left into the main road at normal/ slow speed.
By the looks of it, no way that either of them were trying to take a turn. Both looks to be heading straight on their respective roads.

Both appears to be on the middle of the road as well, as if the whole road belongs to them:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-duster.jpg
balenoed_ is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 14:51   #33206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
This is about 1km away from my house. It is difficult to determine the right of way in this junction as both the roads have somewhat equal stature.
I once had an experience of finding myself in middle of a junction, literally out of nowhere. Luckily I was at some sane speed that time and nothing untoward happened.
When I think about it, both these intersecting roads are lined with buildings on both sides, no traffic signs indicating an approaching + junction, and relatively low traffic rates. Unless and otherwise you almost enter the junction, there will be no visual cue that its a junction.

Looking at the video, it appears obvious for the two cars to have anticipated it, but in reality such improperly designed junctions can catch one off guard, if the road is unknown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
1) Thumb rule: Always, and I mean ALWAYS, slow down at crossings. No matter how smooth the road is.

3) Installing speed breakers is NOT the solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
So, what do you suggest?
Speed breakers should not be reintroduced.
This is a classic case of including as much as obvious warning signs on the road and use of rubble strips. (Instead of scattering them all over the place on straight state highways)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Terrano tried to make left turn into the T-point at higher than normal speed.
Its a + junction and not T. So both the cars were literally seeing a good clean road ahead of them. Due to the buildings, it would have been difficult to understand it as a junction in advance.
sarathlal is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 15:15   #33207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
By the looks of it, no way that either of them were trying to take a turn. Both looks to be heading straight on their respective roads.

Both appears to be on the middle of the road as well, as if the whole road belongs to them:
We all know this type of driver all too well. I'm talking about this sort of a situation; you're in your car, coming up on a T junction or a 4 way junction. You slow down or come to a halt to take a peek eitherway, before making a move on.

Then you hear honks from behind. A two-wheeler pulls over by your window where you are seated behind the wheel; he belts out curses for having stopped there. A car keeps honking at you from behind meanwhile. Some pedestrian passers-by give you strange stares.

You ignore all that hostility and make a move on when it's safe. Hopefully you don't face roadrage from the car driver who's speeding up and overtaking you right now...

The biker who cursed you, the car driver that honked at you and the pedestrians that gave you strange stares are all of the very same specie of drivers who eventually get into this sort of a crash, all because they can't be bothered to come to a stop at a blind junction.
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 15:27   #33208
BHPian

Quote:

I acknowledge my mistake in not keeping sufficient space
In fact, not having much gap worked to your advantage!
Had it been more gap, the front car would have gained a bit more momentum and your damages would have been bigger. So, be happy that you were not too far.
FORTified is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 15:53   #33209
BHPian

Quote:
Badged v/s Re-badged. Happened today in Kannur, Kerala.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
From the video, the junction seems to be between equal roads - not sure if one is a bigger (SH/ NH type) and the other is a bylane.
The accident occurred in front of Dhanalakshmi Hospital, Kannur. This is a known accident spot.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident_screenshot.png

There is no concept of right of way in our country, but here I would say the Terrano is at fault, simply because the road the Duster was on, connects to the main road (NH 66).

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
This is about 1km away from my house.
Good to know there's a BHPian nearby! Caltex junction used to be a regular spot for me (so many coaching centres nearby )

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 30th July 2021 at 16:00.
GeneralJazz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 16:09   #33210
Team-BHP Support

Warning : Video is Graphic

This is a case of a drunken helmetless motorcycle rider who crashed into a tree.

bblost is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks