Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2021, 20:24   #33271
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Another accident and Mob fury on roads... this time in Neyveli Tamilnadu

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/pudu...w/85250691.cms

Based on limited information available thus far
1. Both the Bike and the Truck were making a turn.
2. Truck runs over bike and the driver. Driver is dead on the spot whilst his wife driving pillion suffers injuries
3. Angry Mob now gathers and torches 3 trucks and 12 other vehicles to vent their fury.
4. Finally cops swing into action and get the situation under control!

My observations :
1. With due respect to the departed soul, the Biker could have been at fault for turning into the Blind spot of the truck. This is such a common occurrence in our country. Biker's blissfully ignoring blind spots of other vehicles and making a wrong/blind side turn. The fact that the wife had only simple injuries makes it highly likely that this was not a high speed crash rather a blind spot turn gone wrong.
2. Since these Trucks are contracted to Government work how easy or difficult it is going to be to put some Cameras and speed sensors. Hardly a few thousand rupees per vehicle.
3. Why can't the Government mandate installation of sensors/cameras as a mandatory device for all vehicles. This is not really an impossible ask.
4. It's real unfortunate that 2 more trucks and 12 vehicles have been destroyed by Mob violence. These vehicles had nothing to do with the accident. The laws over Mob violence should be strengthened to ensure deterrence. There could have been innocent people injured in this mad melee

Last edited by venbas : 12th August 2021 at 20:30. Reason: Quote correction
venbas is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 20:46   #33272
Distinguished - BHPian

News report says "mowed down," which is very inflammatory language if not true. It also says that the truck driver hit the bike from behind. The question is, how did the bike get in front? By cutting in? Or by peaceably minding it's own business as the truck came up behind and did mow them down.

If a turn was involved, chances are the biker was inside the truck's turn, and geometry took it out. Two wheels or four, just never be alongside another vehicle on a corner or turn, unless there is clearly room for lanes (marked or not) and people stick to them. A turn is not an overtaking opportunity. Sadly, and sometimes tragically, bikers assume that it is.

I'd like to say that vandalism doesn't fix anything, and there is never any excuse, but I'd have to ask if the people there were at their wits* end with rash truck drivers.

I'm sure there are strong laws against mob violence. There are strong laws against many crimes, including rash driving. Without active implementation of those laws, they are not worth much.

* wits, wit's, or wits' ?

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 12th August 2021 at 20:50.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 22:16   #33273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It says "mowed down," which is very inflammatory language if not true. It also says that the truck driver hit the bike from behind. The question is, how did the bike get in front? By cutting in? Or by peaceably minding it's own business as the truck came up behind and did mow them down.
The turn angle came in a local paper and hence not sure about which version to believe. But going by the Injuries to the Pillion rider it does NOT look like the truck "mowed down" anyone .
Quote:
I'd like to say that vandalism doesn't fix anything, and there is never any excuse, but I'd have to ask if the people there were at their wits* end with rash truck drivers.
Agree. But why damage 20 more vehicles. Someone could have been in an emergency situation in one of those vehicles. The driver of the truck had anyway fled the scene and hence the Mob violence was more about delivering the infamous mob model of Justice.

Quote:
I'm sure there are strong laws against mob violence. There are strong laws against many crimes, including rash driving. Without active implementation of those laws, they are not worth much.
* wits, wit's, or wits'
Agree. But can't understand why the Government doesn't mandate the use of Cameras and sensors on vehicles. Insurance companies should demand proof of footage/data to decide claims. Hefty fines/premiums should be enforced for habitual offender's. The technology for this is already there and it's a shame its not enforced. The Insurance companies can atleast take a lead in offering such devices or giving discounts in Premium for usage of such devices. One leading Private insurer refused to give me OBD device citing that the vehicle has crossed X number of year's!

Last edited by venbas : 12th August 2021 at 22:25. Reason: Typos
venbas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 15:52   #33274
BHPian

Quote:

I'm sure there are strong laws against mob violence. There are strong laws against many crimes, including rash driving. Without active implementation of those laws, they are not worth much.?
Sadly, from a very long time, Bollywood has shown villains getting rid of inconvenient people by getting them "mowed down" on the street. Till today, the laws in the country against rash & negligent driving are very lax and where laws have become stringent, they lack in execution. The cops in most cases tend to try and profit from human tragedy.

Our country with 1% of the world vehicle population accounted for about 6% of the world's road deaths in 2019 ( see screen shot attached).

I think a holistic approach is overdue, consisting of at least the following:

1. Driving license should be given only to those who pass strict exams , both in theory and practice.

2. Creating large scale awareness of use of roads and highways, amongst all users including pedestrians.

3. Implementation of point system for drivers, based on their driving record. Insurance fees to be dependent on driving record as is done abroad.

4. Amend road laws to make it difficult for offenders, especially repeat offenders. Match it with effective implementation.

5. Unfit vehicles to be banned on all highways, esp. Commercial vehicles. Vehicles without lights should be impounded.

6. Equip traffic police with patrol vehicles for specific jurisdictions across highways. These vehicles should also be equipped with dashcams .

7. In cities, strictly enforce implementation with cameras to do away with corruption. Publicise statistics in the city and reward safe drivers and good Samaritans.

This is a partial wish list, I am aware that many amongst us would have better ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20210813153511_chrome.jpg  

Sridhar C E is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 16:04   #33275
Senior - BHPian

Not exactly sure whether this accident would belong here or on an aviation thread. Assuming the "helicopter" involved here was never airborne, leaving it here as this throws some light on the need of having seat belts.

Quote:
On trial run of helicopter he built, man known as ‘Yavatmal’s Rancho’ dies in rotor blade mishap

A 28-year old man, who dreamed of making his own helicopter and launching a manufacturing company one day, died from the impact of one of the rotor blades of the copter during a trial run on Tuesday night at Fulsawangi village in Yavatmal district of Maharashtra.
https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...ishap-7449815/

A seatbelt or having a door would have saved him. Totally overlooked the safety aspects. So cruel to get killed by something that he built himself. RIP.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 13th August 2021 at 16:13.
balenoed_ is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 17:14   #33276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
A seatbelt or having a door would have saved him. Totally overlooked the safety aspects. So cruel to get killed by something that he built himself. RIP.
Seatbelt or a door would not have saved him. The impact was through the windshield. Salute the spirit and passion of the person. Was not a rich person. Such people will transform India one day.
JediKnight is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 17:21   #33277
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sobin View Post
This accident happened to me on 3rd July in Kuttikkanam, Kerala (NH183). I was returning from Ford after my 20K Service and it was a rainy day. An "Ashok Leyland Dhosth" lost its control in a curve and hit my car from Right Side.

I and my cousin were there in the car at the time of accident. Both of us were wearing Seat belts and came out without any scratch.
It's good that you both wore seatbelts and left without scratches. Ashok Leyland Dost are nightmare in two lane roads. They do not see road conditions or traffic. Always drive above 80 and irritate others on road. Ashok Leyland should reduce the power rating from 70 HP to 30 or 40 HP!
parathmaniraja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 19:18   #33278
BHPian

Not sure if it belongs here or has been posted earlier. Received via whatsapp.
Mods -pleases delete if either of above.Regret inconvenience

A new generation Thar stuck in water while trying to cross a rivulet( rainy season nallah) neat Hoshiarpur, Punjab. Later it was pulled back with help of a backhoe loader. Driver safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-t2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-t1.jpg  

MissionManali is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 21:58   #33279
BHPian

Two girls on an activa were severely injured after a bus hit them as they were taking a wrong route

WhiteSierra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 23:31   #33280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionManali View Post
A new generation Thar stuck in water while trying to cross a rivulet( rainy season nallah) neat Hoshiarpur, Punjab. Later it was pulled back with help of a backhoe loader. Driver safe.
Seems like the owner took water wading capability to heart.

Good to see no mention of any one drowning. In such conditions it's esay for vehicle to tip over or occupants getting caught in water current while attempting to come out.

Also, I hope as Thar has washable interiors, it'll be soon back on road, unless engine got hydrolocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Two girls on an activa were severely injured after a bus hit them as they were taking a wrong route.
Another case of not understanding blind zones of large vehicles.

Fault lies in current licensing system.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 13th August 2021 at 23:37.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 05:12   #33281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parathmaniraja View Post
Ashok Leyland should reduce the power rating from 70 HP to 30 or 40 HP!
That would actually be dangerous. If it is underpowered then they will spend more time conducting an overtaking maneuver thus more time in a lane that they don't belong. Lower power rating would also mean that the driver is that much more incentivized to carry speed and brake less and be less cautious overall as they would not want the headache of regaining speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post

Definitely licensing system's fault. It is shocking to me how many otherwise normal seeming folk simply just come out onto the road expecting that everything around them will adapt and move to maintain a bubble of safety for them
IshaanIan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 09:50   #33282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post

I doubt it’s due to blind spot, it’s mainly due to blind trust of two wheeler in breaks of bigger vehicles. We see it day in-n-out, riders risks their lives umpteen times relying on breaks of others and one day the luck just runs out. My sympathies to bus driver who must be going through uncalled for troubles in his life now
Acharya is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 09:57   #33283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two girls on an activa were severely injured after a bus hit them as they were taking a wrong route
Meanwhile the traffic police just opposite looks on at the riders coming through the one way?

Traffic on our roads is truly a study in chaos...
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 12:33   #33284
BHPian

Quote:
Two girls on an activa were severely injured after a bus hit them as they were
One way or not, can't they see the bus in the same lane and direction in which they will be merging?

Only reason I can think of is that women riders concentrate so hard on retaining balance, the throttle, the brakes, that they forget that they also need to look around!.

No offense to any women riders/drivers and there are many good ones too!.
Old 14th August 2021, 12:55   #33285
BHPian

As mentioned before, majority of 2-wheelers assume the 4-wheelers and above will automatically stop or give-way and they completely ignore traffic basics. Most of the 2-wheelers accidents occur for this same reason.
AnandB is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed