Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2021, 21:35   #33361
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

God forbid if you are the #4/#5 vehicle at a traffic light. As soon as the seconds timer goes from 103, 102, 101,100 and hits double digits, vehicles #1 to #3 will all crawl at snails pace, moving 2 feet every 10 seconds, crossing the zebra, warming up like olympics sprinters, to pounce like a cheetah as soon as it gets to green. When the timer hits 50, they are more than a car's length ahead. But you haven't moved still.

"
1. What ? what kind of a moron are you ?
2. Didn't you know, those 10 feet that you are leaving out, will reduce your lifespan by 10 years ?
3. Those 10 feet are the wormhole into one of those miraculous worlds shown in a Christopher Nolan movie, are you stupid to not experience it ?
4. Why are you not taking access to the portal ?
5. You moron, if you don't want access to this god-given portal for time-travel, atleast let us take it.

"

This is the meaning of each honk from all vehicles starting from #6 to #99 who are standing behind you.
venkyhere is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 21:58   #33362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Slow driving impedes traffic. Blocking other drivers can lead to an accident, more weaving in and out of traffic. If anyone drives slower than the minimum speed they can halt the traffic flow and create a dangerous condition. Even if there is no minimum speed limit, those driving too slow can be as dangerous as those who drive too fast. Many people attest to western laws as being the standard, there are several states in usa which fine drivers driving slow more than the 85th percentile of the speed limit with jail and fines both, also in UK.
Though the studies, the laws and data shared by you are quite informative; you missed just a teeny-weeny point. The original discussion point was not related to driving slow in fast lanes, but driving in a stop and go traffic.

'Experienced' drivers would know to differentiate between the types of traffic. Not implying that you are not one but the drivers who can't differentiate do make the sensible drivers wary.

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2021 at 11:26. Reason: Please be calm, polite & respectful even in debate. STRICTLY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS or rude posts on Team-BHP
AutoNoob is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 03:25   #33363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Rear ending recorded my dash cam at Vashi bridge on 28th Aug 2021.

Perfect example on how not to tailgate even at low speeds.
Is it just me or does anyone else feel bad that the tall view-blocking goods carrying vehicle in front did not have working tail lights?
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 08:19   #33364
Senior - BHPian

An horiffic accident in Bangalore last night:

Joint Commissioner of Traffic, Dr BR Ravichantegowda, has made a statement to TV9 in connection with the horrific accident at Koramangala late night. The incident took place around 1.45 pm to 2 pm. All 7 people in the car were killed in the crash. 6 people died on the spot and one died on admission to hospital. The cause of the accident was too fast. Accidents occurred due to negligent, fast driving. Car collided with footpath cotton 2 bollards. They later reported that the wall of the adjacent building had been hit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.edu...y-acp/%3famp=1

Last edited by funkykar : 31st August 2021 at 08:21.
funkykar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 08:26   #33365
Senior - BHPian

Oh god. This is at Koramangala? Second such instance in a week. I read about the IndiraNagar one as well.

Wonder how people can drive so fast in areas like these?
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 08:41   #33366
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Since we are having a discussion on the appropriate amount of space that should be left between the car in front, let me share a personal experience illustrating why it is very important to keep at least 2 car-lengths distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you.

This happened back in 2019. I was returning home from the airport. The traffic was exactly like the one Tazmaan was in with speeds fluctuating between 10-40 kmph due to some bottleneck (a DTC bus had broken down IIRC) and the infamous Delhi style of 3 lanes being converted into 4-5 lanes. There was a scooty with a rider and a pillion both helmeted (and thank god for that) in front of me. I am usually super wary of 2 wheelers so I had left around 2 car length gap in front of me. What happened next was that a super-experienced Innova taxi driver on my left (I was in the right most lane)decided that that gap was tailor-made for his car and squeezed in that. Now if someone wants to go faster, I try to make way for them but in that scenario, the traffic had started to speed up so I could not exactly brake instantly to create more space between me and the Innova. At this point of time, there was less than a car-length between me and the Innova so I let the Innova accelerate. Meanwhile, I had an Etios taxi behind me who was courteous enough to leave adequate space.

I am not exactly sure as to what happened next, but the scooty guy completely lost balance and fell down on the road (there was a manhole on the road maybe). The rider and pillion were thrown clear towards the median but were saved due to their helmets. The Innova of course could not stop (speed upwards of 50kmph) and climbed over the scooty and dragged it for a few meters. I slammed on the brakes too but there was simply not enough room to stop. I think I rammed into the Innova at around 20-30kmph. Simultaneously, I heard multiple loud noises behind me. I got out of the vehicle and first checked on the front of the car and then the scooty guys (multiple people were already checking up on them by then). Luckily, both the riders were fine and the Etios too had managed to stop in time (thus sparing the rear of my car). However, the Etios guy himself was not that lucky with 4-5 cars behind him slamming into each other.

The Innova driver, who was the reason for this entire chain of events, fled as soon as he got his car disentangled from the scooty probably fearing a police case. The rest of us were left with 50+ thousands worth damages in our cars. Hence folks, IMHO, please leave adequate gap in front of you in all scenarios.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20190606_091330148_hdr.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20190606_091352423_hdr.jpg  

Last edited by sierrabravo98 : 31st August 2021 at 08:44.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 09:38   #33367
BHPian

This is another horrid accident, but an Audi which is in this state, I cannot imagine what would have gone thorough the person driving it!
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/85786366.cms
Old 31st August 2021, 09:45   #33368
BHPian

More details on the accident in Koramangala, Bengaluru in which 7 people lost lives.
Name:  Screenshot 20210831 at 9.40.12 AM.png
Views: 1021
Size:  367.3 KB

Mangled car video : https://twitter.com/TOIBengaluru/sta...39719418748928

Quote:
Seven people were killed in a car accident in Bengaluru’s Koramangala when a speeding Audi Q3 lost control, climbing onto the footpath before hitting a Punjab National Bank branch building in the wee hours of Tuesday, August 31. The incident took place on 80 feet road in Koramangala between 1 am and 2am.
As per Traffic Police, there were 7 occupants in the Audi Q5 with 3 seated in the front and 4 in the rear seat. None of them were wearing seatbelts and no Airbags got deployed at during the impact.
anthusiast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 10:02   #33369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthusiast View Post
More details on the accident in Koramangala, Bengaluru in which 7 people lost lives.

As per Traffic Police, there were 7 occupants in the Audi Q5 with 3 seated in the front and 4 in the rear seat. None of them were wearing seatbelts and no Airbags got deployed at during the impact.
I feel sad for the occupants to some extent but not for the driver or driver's parents. I am just glad no one else outside of the vehicle was injured or died.
Engine_Roars is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 10:45   #33370
BANNED

Sir, one noob question. Can adas system and emergency brake assist prevent these incidents or make lass catastrophic. Accidents involving pole/tree or parked truck hit is taking more lives Can these be avoided with autonomous emergency braking?

Do we need to turn on these features everytime we start car or it's on by default?
parathmaniraja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 10:45   #33371
BHPian

Oh Gosh! Another crash well inside city limits .

Just shows that there are no high risk roads or low risk roads. Idiots behind the wheel can transform all roads.

And yet another report that blames the poor car for losing control .

And coming back to the topic of how much space to leave in front of you in slow moving traffic, there really is no actual number in a rule book to follow!. Based on your speed, just leave enough space (slow or fast moving) for you to either slow down or stop whenever the vehicle in front does the same!. But in real crawling speeds (less than 5kmph), do not maintain a kissing distance from the vehicle in front! Leave a margin for a potential rollback, particularly on inclines and behind buses and trucks. My cousin's car ended up with a damaged bumper when he was too close to a BMTC at a signal on an incline and the bus rolled back!.

Last edited by Nalin1 : 31st August 2021 at 10:58.
Nalin1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 11:03   #33372
Team-BHP Support

The amount of 'vehicle lost control' headlines I see for incidents in India makes me think we've secretly not only mastered self-driving cars, but also given them egos since they don't seem to care for traffic rules either.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st August 2021 at 11:05.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 11:03   #33373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthusiast View Post

Deepak Bopanna (@dpkBopanna) Tweeted:
A CCTV has captured the accident in Koramangala where 7 people were killed including son & daughter-in-law of Hosur DMK MLA. The footage shows how the Audi lost control ramming into the bollards on the footpath & then hits a wall & bounces back to a halt.

The CCTV footage here.

https://twitter.com/dpkBopanna/statu...878617090?s=20

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 31st August 2021 at 11:06.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 11:06   #33374
Senior - BHPian

Where in Koramangala did they hit such a high speed? Steering wheel is in the back seat!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st August 2021 at 14:33. Reason: Grammar.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 11:11   #33375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parathmaniraja View Post
Sir, one noob question. Can adas system and emergency brake assist prevent these incidents or make lass catastrophic. Accidents involving pole/tree or parked truck hit is taking more lives Can these be avoided with autonomous emergency braking?

Do we need to turn on these features every time we start car or it's on by default?
Auto emergency braking or brake assist is on by default and can be switched off in some cars. I drive a Volvo S60 and it has this feature, which can be disabled.

The important thing to note here is that these systems work at a certain speed. You can't be going at crazy fast speeds and expect this system to perform.

In my car specifically, the system can only work at speeds of 60km/hr or lower. Which is to say that it can bring the car to a complete halt from 60 to 0 if it so detects. Additionally it can brake the car from 80km/hr but can't bring it to a complete halt. Above 80km/hr, this system does not work at all.

I am guessing that this 2017 system has been improved on over the years but in no way is it fool-proof. Trees and poles don't even get detected.
veedub89 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed