Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2021, 13:48   #33391
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Seems like the car was really flying! 150 KPH plus? Don't think anything will save in such a crash, the internal organs will get shattered at this kind of impact esp without safety belts.

https://twitter.com/rakeshprakash1/s...577042433?s=08
I am very well versed with the crash location. The road there is wide and smooth with no obstructions whatsoever. During the day it is a bustling road. Doing those bizarre speeds there shows a total lack of empathy towards fellow human beings and a brazen disregard for laws or any moral ethics.
car love is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 14:14   #33392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
I am very well versed with the crash location. The road there is wide and smooth with no obstructions whatsoever. During the day it is a bustling road. Doing those bizarre speeds there shows a total lack of empathy towards fellow human beings and a brazen disregard for laws or any moral ethics.
Exactly the same in Chennai ECR. Its a wide and smooth road. Almost every week there's an accident with either of the reason.

1) Drunken driving
2) Losing control of the car due to high speeds

Last month Actor Yashica Anand suffered a major accident where her close friend was killed. Remaining three ppl including her escaped with a few fractures.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st August 2021 at 14:30. Reason: Capitalising.
Anees_Offl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 14:28   #33393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
.. post crash video shows no airbag deployment.
And any idea why it didn't? And what about the alarms for not buckling up. How loud/intense would be the alarms in these Audi's. Is it just like normal chimes like any other low end cars which is easy to ignore? Or does it have something like M&M's voice alarm "Do wear seat belt for your safety".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Car uses the number of seat belts buckled to identify the no of passengers in the car before deploying the respective airbags. No seatbelts means no passengers to save during a crash
Yeah, I have heard that is how it works but then also heard that was not the real case. And the system can definitely figure out if there are passengers or not, by other means, right? Or may be the air bags are not of "any" help if not buckled up, the same theory?

Last edited by balenoed_ : 31st August 2021 at 14:44.
Old 31st August 2021, 14:30   #33394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
A Ford Figo was involved in a accident today on 100ft Road, Indiranagar....
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthusiast View Post
...details on the accident in Koramangala, Bengaluru in which 7 people lost lives
Back to Back inside-city accidents! These two spots are about 5-6kms apart.

Bangalore is in news for the wrong reasons. Seeing the Audi's sad loss of life story, it is a miracle that the Ford driver is alive!!
Old 31st August 2021, 14:36   #33395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
And any idea why it didn't? And what about the alarms for not buckling up. How loud/intense would be the alarms in these Audi's. Is it just like normal chimes like any other low end cars which is easy to ignore?
Car uses the number of seat belts buckled to identify the no of passengers in the car before deploying the respective airbags. No seatbelts means no passengers to save during a crash.

Chimes are not too intrusive (can drown under music) and stop after sometime, IIRC. As such with 7 passengers, they couldn't have belted up too.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 14:54   #33396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Car uses the number of seat belts buckled to identify the no of passengers in the car before deploying the respective airbags. No seatbelts means no passengers to save during a crash.

Chimes are not too intrusive (can drown under music) and stop after sometime, IIRC. As such with 7 passengers, they couldn't have belted up too.
What is utterly baffling are the speeds the Car did with overloaded passenger list that included his spouse and family! I have driven overloaded Cars during the ocassional Train station pickup/drop for relatives. Controlling the car for that 2-3km trip used to be a challenge even at slow speeds below 40kmph. Agree in this case it's an Audi Q3 with better power/build than my Ritz VDI...but still the speeds are completely insane and suicidal for the overload condition. How can someone have so much apathy for the safety of his own loved ones not to forget the potential risk of serious injury to innocent bystanders are beyond belief
venbas is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 15:09   #33397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Yeah, I have heard that is how it works but then also heard that was not the real case. And the system can definitely figure out if there are passengers or not, by other means, right? Or may be the air bags are not of "any" help if not buckled up, the same theory?
Airbags can be killer if seatbelts are not worn. Force of airbag deployment is very high. Add the momentum/whiplash of the passenger and the net force will be too high. Seat belts protect the passengers from whiplash.

Car can detect the presence of passenger using the weight sensor on seats. And ring the alarm bell when they don't buckle up.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 15:58   #33398
BHPian

This seems to be the mangled remains of the Car. It cannot be identified as Audi Q3 :(

https://twitter.com/sanjusadagopan/s...68511990095878
Old 31st August 2021, 16:30   #33399
Senior - BHPian

What a horrific crash, the speeds at which the car was traveling was too high even for a highway let along city roads.

The only good grace is that no innocent bystander were involved in the crash.

There is absolutely no reason why one should be driving at such speeds with a overloaded car with no seatbelts worn by any passengers.
Old 31st August 2021, 17:27   #33400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
God forbid if you are the #4/#5 vehicle at a traffic light. As soon as the seconds timer goes from 103, 102, 101,100 and hits double digits, vehicles #1 to #3 will all crawl at snails pace, moving 2 feet every 10 seconds, crossing the zebra, warming up like olympics sprinters, to pounce like a cheetah as soon as it gets to green. When the timer hits 50, they are more than a car's length ahead. But you haven't moved still.
In London, if you don't get off promptly, you are cursed by everyone! But people understand about gaps. Mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else feel bad that the tall view-blocking goods carrying vehicle in front did not have working tail lights?
If they were not, that is bad, but doesn't affect the outcome. If the thing in front stops, we have to stop. Lights or not.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 31st August 2021 at 17:28.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 17:46   #33401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If they were not, that is bad, but doesn't affect the outcome. If the thing in front stops, we have to stop. Lights or not.
Yes but they do have a purpose; to alert mediocre drivers that the vehicle is slowing down/stopping. I think it may have affected the outcome had the tail lamps been working. Not saying the cabbie wasn't driving idiotically but I think the situation could have been avoided.
Old 31st August 2021, 20:09   #33402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Woah Woah. Hold your horses (or your car) for a moment extra.

Though the studies, the laws and data shared by you are quite informative; you missed just a teeny-weeny point. The original discussion point was not related to driving slow in fast lanes, but driving in a stop and go traffic.

'Experienced' drivers would know to differentiate between the types of traffic. Not implying that you are not one but the drivers who can't differentiate do make the sensible drivers wary.

I just wish there was a facepalm smiley and no limit on the smilies.
Never thought would have to explain that the distance rule would also imply in bumper to bumper traffic situation and traffic impediment could also happen in high traffic situations, which can force other drivers to make adjustments especially when the the gap between two front cars is more than a bus length. While some people go at normal speed according to situation, some go slower which causes the traffic to flow unevenly. Forcing other drivers to adapt to the slower speed could force the other drivers to possibly pass on the left or right side causing accidents. The main problem on roads that causes accidents is the differences in speed. While some people are going at similar speed, some go slower which causes the traffic to flow unevenly.

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2021 at 11:26. Reason: Please be calm, polite & respectful even in debate. STRICTLY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS or rude posts on Team-BHP
Old 31st August 2021, 20:50   #33403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Never thought would have to explain that the distance rule would also imply in bumper to bumper traffic situation and traffic impediment could also happen in high traffic situations, which can force other drivers to make adjustments especially when the the gap between two front cars is more than a bus length. While some people go at normal speed according to situation, some go slower which causes the traffic to flow unevenly. Forcing other drivers to adapt to the slower speed could force the other drivers to possibly pass on the left or right side causing accidents. The main problem on roads that causes accidents is the differences in speed. While some people are going at similar speed, some go slower which causes the traffic to flow unevenly.
Of course traffic flows unevenly. It always does. You give to much importance to the gap size: If the traffic is moving, so is the gap, and the size is irrelevant. It does not matter to the traffic around it.

Actually, I use a technique, which definitely does not work in India, of averaging the speed out, so that I don't have to stop and start so often. Never works here, because the gap can get quite big and people will certainly fill it.

Some countries keep traffic moving on motorways by reducing speed limits when traffic shows signs of getting too heavy. It lessens the phenomenon of the traffic jam caused by nothing which slows traffic to stop before it can speed up again.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 20:56   #33404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I always maintain sufficient gap with the vehicle ahead in slow moving city traffic. I should be able to see his rear tyres. And I expect the brake lights NOT to function. If they do, I take it as a bonus. If I can see through the windshield of the vehicle ahead, I will be a little comfortable. If not, I will be on high alert.

One can never say the driver ahead braked too suddenly. If we rear end him, the fault is ours. He can brake like that for so many reasons. He may even have a heart attack.
Gansan is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 22:20   #33405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
No pedestrian was hit, there were 7 people inside the Audi Q3, a car meant for 5 and all without seatbelts.
There is more irresponsible reporting going on. Deccan Herald claims "The overspeeding SUV lost its tyres before the crash." Even if the Audi was doing 150+, it simply won't lose its tires. Saying it "lost tires before the crash", absolves the driver of fault, and places the fault on the car/tires. Which is very wrong, I am not sure if all this is intentional because a VIP family is involved.

Read more at: https://www.deccanherald.com/city/be...a-1025359.html
GutsyGibbon is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks