Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2021, 11:21   #33421
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Some interesting insider information pertaining to the above Q3 accident:

Apparently, the Q3 was stopped by the police at 11:00 pm for: (1) violating night curfew and (2) being driven in an extremely rash and negligent manner.

Some eye-witnesses even said that the girls had stuck themselves out of the sunroof, screaming and shouting at the top of their voices, as the car was being rashly driven around the area.

The cops let them off with a warning, I believe. The politically influential individual in the car had clearly pulled rank.

Personally, I do not feel sad for any of them. They had it coming. I hate to say it.
suhaas307 is offline   (70) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 11:35   #33422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Wish there are reports made and published like NTSB's for air crashes.
Different aspects of the accident are to be examined, however apprehensive about the final outcome.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-85821369.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Personally, I do not feel sad for any of them. They had it coming. I hate to say it.
Only solace is that they did not kill anyone outside the vehicle. I don't understand how people from such background do such reckless adventures completely disregarding own and other's safety
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 12:22   #33423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Different aspects of the accident are to be examined, however apprehensive about the final outcome.
Why such detailed analysis is usually done in cases involving VIPs and their close ones. To lay blame on something/ someone else and give clean chit to the actual culprits ?

I wish if this is actually a honest exercise, this should be done in every cases.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 13:25   #33424
Senior - BHPian

Sharing this picture which I saw in a news report by The News Minute of the Audi crash. This is where the car crashed into.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bengaluru_koramangala_accident_650.jpg

Also this:

Quote:
The crash took place around 1.45 am on Tuesday. Three people were sitting in the front and four people in the rear of the 5-seater Audi Q3 car. The speeding Audi Q3 lost control and crashed into the compound wall of a Punjab National Bank building on 80 Feet Road in Koramangala. Six died on the spot and one of them died during treatment at a hospital. The victims of the crash have been identified as DMK MLA’s son 25-year-old Karunasagar, Karunasagar’s wife Bindu (28), and five others — Ishita (21), Dhanush (20), Akshay Goyal (25), Utsav (25) and Rohit (25).
avishar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 15:24   #33425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Character assassination of 7 young people on their twenties may not be the correct way to start debates on this topic.
It's not character assassination. Simple fact: bunch of kids driving a car like that are a bunch of ignorant, arrogant, not-caring idiots.
Quote:
We need to study the impact on chassis, body and other shock absorbing areas when a speeding vehicle hit a stationary object at speeds above 100 KMPH.A detailed thread is needed ,as most of the vehicles we drive today crosses 100 KMPH within few seconds.
For most of my life they have been able to. Doing it in single-digit seconds has always been my mark of a car that was a bit more interesting. Of course, actual high-performance cars half that.

100KPH is just over 60MPH. 60MPH is the speed limit on British single-carriageway main roads (If I remember correctly!). It is nothing special.
Quote:
Most of the adrenaline driven youth drive those vehicles well above 100 KMPH (irrespective road conditions and speed limits). So, educating youth more and more with real life accident examples is the best way to go forward.
The education has to amount to don't do it. That sort of advice is not easily absorbed by youth.

It doesn't take wealth. Many ordinary cars can manage 150kph (about 100mph). How to drive that fast? Simple: foot on accelerator until you get there. Any fool can do that. How to handle what might happen at those speeds is a different matter. I've been driving for decades: I am not confident to drive at such speeds (did I ever? Of course! On an empty British motorway. Illegally. No, I am not a speed-limit hardliner, but I did not make a habit of it.)

T-BHP will never have a thread on road driving at such speeds. It would be a serious rule breaker. Anyway, bottom line is that over-confident, under-trained youth should learn proper skills at 50kph!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 15:29   #33426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Seems like the car was really flying! 150 KPH plus? Don't think anything will save in such a crash, the internal organs will get shattered at this kind of impact esp without safety belts.

https://twitter.com/rakeshprakash1/s...577042433?s=08
150 km/h is not possible at the time of crash, but might be the speed before hitting the brakes.

If the video is realtime, then within a second (0:06) the car looks to have travelled 4 times it's length ie 4 * 4.484m (Length of outgoing Q3) = 17.936m in 1 second

17.936m/s translates to 64.5km/h - I think this is atleast the minimum speed at the time of crash.

Here are Q3 braking distances (100-0 km/h and 130-0 km/h) from Auto motor und sport data

Name:  Screenshot from 20210901 113920.png
Views: 844
Size:  10.6 KB

From the (raw unscientific calculation above) crash speed and the braking distances, 2 possibilities:

1. The Driver is driving just above 64.5km/h and never hit the brake or didn't see the obstacle
2. Travelling way over 100km/h and reacted too late, which is insufficient to stop a Q3.

I think 2 is a more logical conclusion, IMHO the obstacle seen as in pictures in previous posts is something hard to miss.

And btw, the airbags do deploy even if the seatbelts are not worn. Audi (and Audi users) should be definitely worried. See pg.123 of manual. Quoting the important bit where it says when the airbags won't deploy.

Quote:
Front airbags will not deploy:
- if the ignition is switched off when a crash occurs,
- in side collisions,
- in rear-end collisions,
- in rollovers,
- when the crash deceleration measured by the airbag system is less than the minimum threshold needed for airbag deployment as registered by the electronic control unit.

The front passenger airbag will also not deploy:
- when the front passenger seat is not occupied,
- when the weight on the front passenger seat as sensed by the Advanced Airbag System indicates that the front airbag on the passenger side has to be turned off by the electronic control unit (the PASSENGER AIR BAG OFF light comes on and stays on).

Last edited by carthick1000 : 1st September 2021 at 15:53.
carthick1000 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 16:09   #33427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Here are Q3 braking distances (100-0 km/h and 130-0 km/h) from Auto motor und sport data
I wonder how they define Braking Distance? I'm guessing it is just that: the amount of time the brakes take to stop the car. This is very different to the amount of time driver takes to stop a car. Stopping a car takes thinking+breaking distances. Even they are after the noting the need to stop.

A reminder that alcohol, if involved, increases confidence but diminishes performance. Additional reaction time, possibly added confusion time.

Admitting that speculation is the name of the game on this thread, I'd guess that it would take that driver multiples of the braking distance to stop that car.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 16:19   #33428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I wonder how they define Braking Distance?
Auto motor und sport does the distance calculations including reaction time (of course of an ideal driver and not drunk driver). Sorry link only in German. Take Google translate with a pinch of salt.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 1st September 2021 at 16:44.
Old 1st September 2021, 16:21   #33429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
2. Travelling way over 100km/h and reacted too late, which is insufficient to stop a Q3.

I think 2 is a more logical conclusion, IMHO the obstacle seen as in pictures in previous posts is something hard to miss.
Most likely.

Just to add a perspective of the path the car has followed (x indicates the wall the car had hit and the final position):

Name:  audi_position.png
Views: 821
Size:  124.1 KB

The car was simply too fast for the second curve. Or the driver tried to avoid something on the road and ended up on the pavement?
bejoy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 17:06   #33430
Senior - BHPian

Some more information about the accident in this news - Bengaluru Audi accident: Footage shows victims in high spirits before death struck.

Quote:
The Audugodi police investigating the case have collected CCTV footage which clearly shows the victims making purchase of alcohol. The video footage available with the police shows two of the victims coming out of the co-living space in Koramangala and walking into a liquor shop at about 8.40 p.m., according to police sources.

After spending about 10 minutes in the shop, they return with a carry bag and video footage shows them putting it into their hand bag. The investigations have also revealed that all the victims had a party before the joy ride at a friend's place. The police who have recovered three mobiles from the crime spot are trying to trace the location, sources added.

The police have also collected information on the vehicle being driven in a zigzag manner for fun as roads were empty due to night curfew. Police sources also said that at many junctions police could not stop the vehicle as it was overspeeding.

The vehicle narrowly missed hitting a food delivery boy. The victims were seen standing through the sunroof, enjoying the loud music, the police sources added.
airbus is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 17:29   #33431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's not character assassination. Simple fact: bunch of kids driving a car like that are a bunch of ignorant, arrogant, not-caring idiots.
For most of my life they have been able to. Doing it in single-digit seconds has always been my mark of a car that was a bit more interesting. Of course, actual high-performance cars half that.
Very valid points raised. Its now or never. Loss happening somewhere or another, and specific to this 7 lives is not a jokes. They all would have 7 different success stories to say had they been alive. Sad...

The last line mentioned by you is a concern. This happens in Chennai, this happens in Mumbai and this happens through the entire nation. If we do not sensitize people on such an important aspect, who else will ?

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd September 2021 at 08:13. Reason: typo
Anees_Offl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 19:42   #33432
BHPian

No details about this yet, but I just learned that I lost an ex-colleague of mine in this accident.

Quote:
Six members of a family from Chennai were killed in a head-on collision between a Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation (TNSTC) bus and an SUV at Pridhivimangalam bypass near Thiyagadurgam on August 29 night.
News Article from The Hindu here.
TejasKinger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 20:37   #33433
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post

Also this:
The crash took place around 1.45 am on Tuesday. Three people were sitting in the front and four people in the rear of the 5-seater Audi Q3 car. The speeding Audi Q3 lost control and crashed into the compound wall of a Punjab National Bank building on 80 Feet Road in Koramangala. Six died on the spot and one of them died during treatment at a hospital. The victims of the crash have been identified as DMK MLA’s son 25-year-old Karunasagar, Karunasagar’s wife Bindu (28), and five others — Ishita (21), Dhanush (20), Akshay Goyal (25), Utsav (25) and Rohit (25).
Of course, as @vj_torqueaddict mentioned - analyzing objectively, the age-group of the victims, the location of accident in the vicinity of yoga&meditation capital of bengaluru, the time of accident , the political antecedents, all point to : a group of monks hurriedly going to a blood bank, inorder to donate blood, because someone was eagerly waiting for an urgent surgery. What else can it be ?
venkyhere is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 22:30   #33434
Senior - BHPian

Quite a dramatic crash where a three-wheeler goods carrier gets bumped by a lorry and goes tumbling. Driver almost flew out. He and his wife escaped with minor injuries.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd September 2021 at 07:45. Reason: Typo
avishar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 23:06   #33435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Quite a dramatic crash where a three-wheeler goods carrier gets bumped by a lorry and goes tumbling. Driver almost flew out. He and his wife escaped with minor injuries.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=nKoiSpUiulI
Very unfortunate accident. But, IMHO the culprits in order are -
  • The truck trundling along the wrong side of the road. Because of which the 3-wheeler was forced to correct direction. He deserves all the more punishment.
  • Speeding container
  • 3-wheeler for correcting direction without checking the ORVM

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd September 2021 at 07:45. Reason: Quoted post edited.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks