Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2021, 13:43   #33496
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Two things need to be investigated in the Bangalore accident case.
1. Whether the bollards were legal or not. If it was put up illegally, suitable actions should be taken against the people, civic authority, owner who put it up. There is a high chance they might have crashed somewhere else or killed someone but it does not absolve others who put those bollards(if illegal).
They were installed as a part of some improvement program (smart city or something like that) - as they were installed under a BBMP project, I guess it can't be illegal - but whether its designed and positioned well is something that can be debated.

The reason these bollards are there is to allow cyclists and pedestrians to use the footpath but preventing scooter and bike riders from getting on to the footpath, which is a common problem on choked roads of Bangalore.

In this particular case, we can see the bollards have broken off and they did not decelerate the car, so they have been designed to break on such impact - I don't think they were the reason for the fatalities.
autocrat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 14:05   #33497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Many will disagree, but my personal opinion is that young drivers (in early to mid 20s) are at highest risk of putting themselves and the occupants in danger because that age is full of energy and a sense of responsibility is just about starting to creep in.
They may, and they do disagree, especially, I find, if they are young themselves.

However, even if it is not the case here, the world's insurance companies know the facts very well. They have to: they pay the bills. Motor insurance for the young is exorbitantly expensive in my mother country (England) and prohibitively so for any car that is vaguely exciting.

Insurance companies here should take more account of driver profile. It is a deterrent to the inexperienced rich kid in a fast car. Of course, if they are throw-it-away-and-buy-a-new-one wealthy, it may not matter. But my experience of wealthy people is that they do not like throwing money away. They did not get rich that way, and they won't stay rich that way.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 15:44   #33498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Unfortunately, had to report an accident in this thread that happened to one of our family members. This happened to my sister and family two weeks ago while they were traveling from one of the southern KL district to way north and accident occurred in Kollam district. BIL was driving the 5 yr old Ciaz, sister in front and two children at back. .
I hope the family is doing well & is out of that ordeal mentally & physically. It’s a sight that sent chills down my spine! Honestly you made a valid point. Build quality & safety is where Maruti lacks in smallers cars mostly. But, Brezza, Ciaz, Scross gives a better impression and this post kind of reassures straight away.

But, do you really think getting that car repaired would be better? I don’t think the repair would be top notch as the front seems to have taken major impact. I believe the structure might be a little compromised as it would not be seen or noticed by our human eyes. If they like the car, how about replacing it with another ciaz? I understand the sentiment here because the car saved them from this horrific scene and it’s earned their trust. Please do see the feasibility of replacing it with another Ciaz, preferably new. Just a suggestion please stay safe!
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 15:55   #33499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Nexon EV caught fire, not sure how old the video is. Is there any better way to put fire out on an EV, spraying water doesn't seem right to me.

Couldn't find the source elsewhere.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CTSv7...dium=copy_link
Apparently water works, along with others.
Post extinguishing, the greater challenge I think is to bring down the temperature so that a re-ignition does not happen.
Quoting from Tesla's SOP for first transponders https://www.tesla.com/firstresponders

Quote:
USE WATER TO FIGHT A HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY FIRE. If the battery catches fire, is exposed to high heat, or is generating heat or gases, use large amounts of water to cool the battery. It can take between approximately 3,000-8,000 gallons (11,356-30,283 liters) of water, applied directly to the battery, to fully extinguish and cool down a battery fire; always establish or request additional water supply early. If water is not immediately available, use CO2, dry chemicals, or another typical fire-extinguishing agent to fight the fire until water is available.
Quote:
Tesla does not recommend placing the vehicle in a large tank of water. The use of a Thermal Imagery Camera or Infrared (TIC or IR) is recommended to monitor battery temperatures during the cooling process. Continue to use water until the battery has reached ambient temperatures or below, indicated by the thermal imagery camera. When utilizing a thermal imaging camera, allow enough time, once the application of water has stopped, to allow for heat within the battery to transfer to the battery enclosure.
Remember reading in another TBHP thread of a EV fire where the car was was dunked in a water container (contrary to what is given in the Tesla site) by the fire dept.
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 16:06   #33500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
http://Youtu.be/84sDVTlG2Ls

Got to this video suggestion from Google. This vlogger wanted adventure and got more than he wanted. He was pushing the tall vehicle's limits and crossed it. Obviously physics had the last laugh. Feels sad to see a new car damaged!

Attachment 2203520
The video gave him back more money than what he spent to buff out the mahindra!
Old 7th September 2021, 17:28   #33501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Overall, a lucky escape in what otherwise would have been serious. While we see the usual bashing on Maruti's build quality, here is an example of how probably a well designed crumple zone saved the occupants. Sister and family believes the car saved them and hence wanting to keep the car. I also love this car as I have also driven it numerous times. The car is getting repaired at a cost of Rs 1.5 Lakhs (I am not sure how it is so less) and will be back on road in another couple of weeks.
I believe that this would be a total loss.
The structure would have taken a beating.

Where is this getting repaired?
Has MASS given a Rs1.5 Lakh quote?
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 17:48   #33502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
The recent Audi Q3 accident and this Innova one has one thing in common, both had young people in their 20's driving the car and were doing very high speeds. Many will disagree, but my personal opinion is that young drivers (in early to mid 20s) are at highest risk of putting themselves and the occupants in danger because that age is full of energy and a sense of responsibility is just about starting to creep in.
I voice your thought here. Youth through generations have been youth and we have done those silly things back then which we would not when we grow up. However, as generations change the tools at their disposal have changed and it's becoming more dangerous over time. I went to school in cycle, raced with friends, have tried many crazy stunts, have had my falls and injuries. Now there are many school going teens who get their hands on powerful 2 wheelers and many don't know how to even control them.

While I wouldn't generalize, what I see in the kids (from decently well to do families) of today is that they have the access to whatever they want (not always their fault). Many parents take pride in getting their children the best of bikes, cars, gadgets etc. while some kids muscle it from their parents by coercing them in different ways.

These spoilt brats have never cared for anyone but them and don't give a damn as they know their parents have the backing economically or politically and will get them out of trouble. Add the adrenaline rush, false heroism, ignorance and many a times intoxication (alcohol, drugs, etc.) and this is how things end. Fortunately, in the Q3 case and the Innova case, there weren't any 3rd party casualty. As we read every now and then, these kind of accidents have resulted in killing the sole bread winner of poor families and the guilty walk free.
Jude300 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 21:44   #33503
Distinguished - BHPian

Serial accident on Ring Road in JP Nagar 5th Phase, almost in front of the Skoda showroom. Saw a Mahindra UV (XUV500 or Marazzo - not sure) in front. A few feet behind was a Swift with a small LGV (either an Ace or a small Mahindra) - both still in contact.
The rear of the Mahindra, and both ends of the Swift were dented.

But worse was a scooter that had got crumpled longitudinally. Hope the rider(s) are safe.

Didnt take pics since I didnt want to rubber-neck in the 6 pm traffic.
Old 8th September 2021, 00:44   #33504
Senior - BHPian

On NH 48

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ffd929cc4b6d4c3f87fcb31d70c9f6ea.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ebc1b589cba0496188703478e96a535a.jpeg
SnS_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 00:46   #33505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty View Post
The same happened with me in the first week of January, my case was a little different, a WagonR had rear ended my bike on a red signal in BKC. After the incident I'm more careful at red signals and keeping an eye out in my mirror.
This is the reason I cancelled the idea of getting a Dominar and I rarely use my bike nowadays. Bikers are at high risk due to the lack of protection. Even if you follow the rules, a freak accident leaves you open and vulnerable.

A helmet can only do so much.
SoupRaw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 05:20   #33506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car is getting repaired at a cost of Rs 1.5 Lakhs (I am not sure how it is so less) and will be back on road in another couple of weeks.
Please advice your sister to scrap the car. The damage to the vehicle is far to severe to be able to bring it back to its original structural strength. I know its a loss to take but one must draw the line somewhere when it comes to sentimental attachment or value to a vehicle involved in a crash like this. Its only for your own sister and families safety. Take what you can get from the insurance claim and use that as a deposit for a new Ciaz or anything else they would like. I am surprised that the insurance company did not write this car off or they are avoiding a pay out.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 8th September 2021 at 05:22.
sandeepmohan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 07:52   #33507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind_555 View Post
Context: Innova accident in Chennai - link above.

This accident reminds me of some of the worst fears of night driving. If you see the video
(https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=WFcGh3e8C3A) between 0: 36 and 0:39 you can see that there is a truck on the right most lane and right behind the truck is a minivan - in the middle lane. My thinking is that the Innova overtook the minivan, by going into the right most lane, but failed to notice the truck on the right lane in time and swerved - albeit a little too late - and the truck ended up gouging up a good portion of the right of the Innova - including the windshield (you can see shards of glass falling off the truck post the accident as well as the sparks from the shear) and might have either taken off or disoriented the driver so much that post this, we just see the Innova just going straight into the parked truck - taking out all of who were left alive from the previous impact. I guess the taillights of the truck not being operational could have been a big factor coupled with a short notice period to the Innova driver (high speeds, night, low beam etc) contributed to this accident. Sad :(
The biggest factor that contributed to all of this is the stupid lack of lane discipline by truck and bus drivers, and Indian drivers/riders in general. What was this bloody slow moving lorry doing in the right most lane of highway traffic? In any other country in the world, you would be pulled over by highway police for not giving way and penalised.

The most frustrating thing about driving in highways is this total violation of the Keep to the left, give way rule. One moment, you are driving along merrily at 100 kph legally on a nicely surfaced, properly demarcated, beautiful express way, and the next moment, you're stuck behind some uncle/aunty in his decrepit M800/Alto/Santro/whatever, hunched over the wheel, doing 50kph in the right most lane, determinedly ignoring the honking behind him, forcing everyone behind them to overtake him from the wrong side. Worse, there seems to be a mindset among all drivers that on a highway, there are no rules regarding overtaking from the blind side of a vehicle.

vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 07:58   #33508
BHPian

Quote:
The car is getting repaired at a cost of Rs 1.5 Lakhs (I am not sure how it is so less) and will be back on road in another couple of weeks.
Thank God the family is safe, but I'm not sure how that car is reparable after that kinda damage. Won't it get pushed for total loss? Will that rebuilt car have the same structural strength as before the accident?

P.S. just noticed several people here have quoted your post saying repairing might not be a good idea. Add me to that group. I can understand if the owner has some kind of emotional attachment to the vehicle but I hope he'll consider writing it off.

Last edited by SaiSW : 8th September 2021 at 08:02.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 08:30   #33509
BHPian

As a 16 year old teenager, I agree with all of you. I have been out for late night parties with friends my own age as well as those older than me. I have been with many of them in their cars and always hold on to dear life. Most of the time my friends driving style is different when they are alone and when they are with their friends. Late night party drives are scary to say the least. I have stopped going to late night parties due to one particularly close call. These drives are even more dangerous when there are girls in the car. But IMO Superbikes are the most dangerous as they can reach really high speeds and are relatively much cheaper than supercars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
These spoilt brats have never cared for anyone but them and don't give a damn as they know their parents have the backing economically or politically and will get them out of trouble. Add the adrenaline rush, false heroism, ignorance and many a times intoxication (alcohol, drugs, etc.)
Yes, Most of the things you have said here are true but most of the time, They aren't really spoiled. They are brats, I agree and they also have backing economically and politically but most of the parents are strict with the children. Do you think these parents willingly give their 7 or even 8 figure cars to their children willingly? No that is not the case. Most of my friends who come to parties in flashy cars sneak it out when their parents are asleep or cite some fake reason to take out the car.
M A D over CARS is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 09:53   #33510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A D over CARS View Post
These drives are even more dangerous when there are girls in the car. But IMO Superbikes are the most dangerous as they can reach really high speeds and are relatively much cheaper than supercars.
What you have mentioned is the reality.

In one's youth one doesn't have to behave maturely but should act responsibly and that's something many don't understand. And as you say these powerful machines are deadly in the wrong hands and in the wrong place. They are to be enjoyed in their own turfs and our roads and traffic discipline are far from being the ideal playground.

Appreciate that you understand the danger in the right way . Stay safe.
Jude300 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks