Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2021, 23:00   #33556
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Not blaming the unfortunate couple, but a laybye is not meant for taking a break.
This accident shows how uncertain our lives are.
When I need to stop on highways, I always make sure that my car is parked behind a strong tree. I always fear some vehicle losing control and crashing on you even you are well beyond road side or in a lay bye.
poloman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 23:38   #33557
Distinguished - BHPian

The English-language form is lay-by, as in by the road, not related to goodbye. Tragic irony in such accidents that it turns out to be the final goodbye of the victims.

Why there should be a lay-by on a flyover is beyond me, excepting emergencies and breakdowns. Is it impossible for people to respect that? Probably.

On British motorways, there is a lane called hard shoulder* for emergencies (actually, I hear it is being used as an extra lane on some overcrowded motorways now: a cause for safety concern). Stopping on the hard shoulder except in emergency (which does not include toilet breaks, however necessary) is an offence: people get fined.

In an actual breakdown, people are strongly advised to get out of the vehicle, even in bad weather, and move as far from the roadside as possible. This advice became official because of the number of accidents involving such stationary vehicles.

*Why? I remember asking my dad this! He said that a soft shoulder would be just soil or grass.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 01:58   #33558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Isn't that the whole purpose of having lay-bys on roads?
WOAH NO WAY! Lay-bys are so that you have a safe spot to stop and change your tyre or for emergencies. NOT for sight seeing that's for sure. The whole concept of turning any space into a sight-seeing spot is a fever that has inflicted our entire populous.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 04:37   #33559
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
WOAH NO WAY! ...
Depends where you are. Some British lay-bys (duh: how to spell the plural? Lay-bies?) have mobile cafes.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 06:34   #33560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Ramgarh-Bokaro Road: WagonR crashes head on into a Bus. All 5 occupants of WagonR burnt as per claims.
Going by their position on the road, it looks like the bus crashed into the WagonR rather than the other way around.
Fell bad for the occupants in the car. I wonder if there was any other vechicles around which didn't leave much room for the car to avoid the crash.
Old 16th September 2021, 11:22   #33561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WOAH NO WAY! Lay-bys are so that you have a safe spot to stop and change your tyre or for emergencies. NOT for sight seeing that's for sure.
You are confusing lay-bys with shoulders. Given that lay-bys arrive only once every several dozen kilometres you really can't be expecting an emergency to occur only when one is within stopping distance of a lay-by, can you?

In fact at the top of the Thamarassery Churam on NH 766 there is a lay-by maintained by the local Panchayat where travelers can enjoy the breathtaking view of the valley and take photographs/selfies.

Here's a Wikipedia entry for you to peruse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rest_area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
(duh: how to spell the plural? Lay-bies?)
I have been using lay-bys in this conversation, but now that I think about it - it probably should be lays-by. :-)
binand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 19:37   #33562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have been using lay-bys in this conversation, but now that I think about it - it probably should be lays-by. :-)

I take my hat off to you for this. Theoretically, I'm sure you are right. This is an area in which breaksthrough are needed. I know, that doesn't sound right, but neither does breakthroughs to me.

More on topic, I really wonder at what people do on flyovers. Taking a walk, on foot! Why? Why climb the hill and down again, let alone facing the traffic hazards. Stopping for a chat on the phone! Really, it is beyond words.
Old 16th September 2021, 22:53   #33563
BHPian

The Electronic city flyover is one of the most dangerous roads in Bangalore .

It is too good and butter smooth. That is the issue. Can cause a rush of blood amongst the immatured and imbalanced drivers. I have enjoyed driving on it and every single time wondered why it is a bit too narrow .

Our cops use the lay by to park their interceptors and in their absence used by all for selfies!.

It is definitely not wide enough to feel relatively safe on the lay by.

As for our hero who crashed, God help him in a long ordeal ahead.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 23:49   #33564
BHPian

Just saw the videos of bus vs WagonR accident. The video wherein they pull the body out is too scary. I don't understand why the public was taking the bodies out instead of waiting for police to arrive. Why did the WagonR catch fire? Probably an after maket lpg kit?
Old 17th September 2021, 07:26   #33565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Depends where you are. Some British lay-bys (duh: how to spell the plural? Lay-bies?) have mobile cafes.
Quote:
You are confusing lay-bys with shoulders. Given that lay-bys arrive only once every several dozen kilometres you really can't be expecting an emergency to occur only when one is within stopping distance of a lay-by, can you?
The definition of a Lay-by is a short strip of road by the side of a main road where people can stop for a brief while without obstructing the flow of traffic. Sure this does mean that one can stop and take selfies but don't you feel it is more important to leave this free to use for people who have to change a tyre or catch up on some rest? Perhaps few lay-bys might be too scenic to resist but I'm sure the majority of them aren't constructed with such a menial purpose in mind.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 17th September 2021 at 07:27.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 16:32   #33566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Quite a dramatic crash where a three-wheeler goods carrier gets bumped by a lorry and goes tumbling. Driver almost flew out. He and his wife escaped with minor injuries.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=nKoiSpUiulI
Towards the end of this video, I see a father along with his son, who parks his motorcycle and comes near(red shirt) to see if the victims are safe and probably to render some help.

How better a place it would be, if every driver is so helpful & responsible.
Old 17th September 2021, 16:44   #33567
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... Perhaps few lay-bys might be too scenic to resist but I'm sure the majority of them aren't constructed with such a menial purpose in mind.
Most of my favourites predate the mobile phone, let alone selfies!

But I appreciate and agree with your line of thought. There is such a thing as appropriate and reasonable behaviour.
Old 17th September 2021, 19:49   #33568
BHPian

Quote:
The definition of a Lay-by is a short strip of road by the side of a main road where people can stop for a brief while without obstructing the flow of traffic. Sure this does mean that one can stop and take selfies but don't you feel it is more important to leave this free to use for people who have to change a tyre or catch up on some rest? Perhaps few lay-bys might be too scenic to resist but I'm sure the majority of them aren't constructed with such a menial purpose in mind.
With the state of our roads, its far more important to be safe rather than right. With that in mind, I would never stop on a lay-by on this particular elevated highway even if I was in a car; doing it on a bike is taking it to the next level of stupidity.

Even in a car, I would typically get off the highway if I wanted a break. It's becuase I know how callous most folks are on the road.

Other than that , the E-city flyover shouldn't be meant for bike as it is not safe.

Last edited by Sheel : 19th September 2021 at 11:25. Reason: Typos. Please proof read before submitting your post. Thanks.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 18th September 2021, 13:12   #33569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msarunms1987 View Post
I wonder how the Jeep (as illustrated in the news article) was carrying 17 passengers
These jeep pack people like parcel and carry many more, especially in the villages...
This photo was taken couple of years back near mysore/hunsur

There were at least 20-25 people in that jeep! it was mind boggling... outside on the bumper itself there were 6 people standing.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photojeep.jpg  

haria is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 09:45   #33570
BHPian

'Break free' gets a new definition !!

RaviK is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks