Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2021, 10:33   #33601
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Horrific collision between an Indica and another car near Hosur leaving 2 dead. I am shocked to see the way the cabin has got deformed in both cars. Any idea which could be the other car (sedan)?

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20210926_102142.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20210926_102205.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20210926_102115.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality pic (taken fro the TV)
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 10:36   #33602
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Horrific collision between an Indica and another car near Hosur leaving 2 dead. I am shocked to see the way the cabin has got deformed in both cars. Any idea which could be the other car (sedan)?
TV)
Looks like a Skoda Laura
anb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 13:19   #33603
BHPian

Quote:
The sedan seems like Skoda Laura, also looking at the sedan, it looks like Indica fell onto the sedan rather than a collision.
Agarwal_Aayush is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 20:04   #33604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
while taking the turn front wheel skidded and I fell down with the scooter at point B. What I want to emphasize here is that wearing helmet irrespective of distance is important. I have gone hardly 10 feet with speed less than 10 kmph and used the same turning hundreds of times
I'd request you to go a step further and investigate this incident. Was it an unsafe act(UA) or an unsafe condition(UC) that caused this fall? Please ensure that the causes are identified, unsafe acts corrected, and unsafe conditions eliminated to prevent future incidents. Did you experience some near misses in those hundreds of times?
vigsom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 20:04   #33605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
And the first reaction of the bike that ran into him was to start beating him?
Well deserved beating .

Look at the way these guys are doing stunts on a narrow bridge. Also, look at the way a woman pedestrian is walking (or saving herself from these goons).

They deserve this treatment as they do not respect others lives as well as safety. Had it been someone with family involved in the very same accident, these goons would have instead beaten him and would have continued their so called stunt. Instant karma I must say

Road are for public and stunts are for movies (and shooting sets).

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th September 2021 at 19:51. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
trave11er is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 20:56   #33606
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2211881

Attachment 2211882

Attachment 2211883

Sorry for the poor quality pic (taken fro the TV)
Visual shown in this news.

jeganatu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 01:00   #33607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
And the first reaction of the bike that ran into him was to start beating him?

The youth was stupid, it was his fault clearly but what other guys did was criminal. Youth should be booked under MVA and other guys under IPC.
If you live in a place where you, your kid or family is endangered every single day even while being pedestrians, you'll also behave the same way. Such stunts have been a menace in Kerala after the lockdown, with every moron trying such things to garner fans in social media.

And these are the latest generation who also are under the influence of drugs / alcohol many a times and are fearless of anything.

The bullet riders seem very much well planned, looking at the speed and the immediate reaction - I just don't complaint in this case. Will it change anything - nop ! These morons will use this video also as an opportunity to go "viral".

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th September 2021 at 01:01.
swiftnfurious is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 09:13   #33608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Horrific collision between an Indica and another car near Hosur leaving 2 dead.
One of the boys is known by my parents and is the son of a family friend. I may have not got the name right, but in all probability it was Sumant (28)!

I have not met this boy myself, but he had driven my parents to Thirupthi and back sometime in 2018/19. I distinctly remember my parents complaining about his quite rash way of driving the car (Swift) back then and they had vouched not to sit in his car again.

Apparently he (and some friends) were heading to a popular hotel near Krishnaghiri for breakfast when the mishap happened. Ironically, my parents saw the news on TV first before being informed by the deceased relatives.

Probably, he did not mend his reckless driving and the his luck ran out!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 27th September 2021 at 09:16.
Vik0728 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 11:06   #33609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Probably, he did not mend his reckless driving and the his luck ran out!
This was an avoidable tragedy. I for one, would not place a lot of blame on this poor kid. His only fault was probably that he was overspeeding.

The other guy with his irresponsible behavior not only lost his own life but also took the life of another person. I have often seen this kind of behavior on TN highways (also in UP, Kerala and Karnataka) where people would rather drive on the wrong side of the road than drive one or two KM ahead to get a proper exit to make a U-turn. And its almost always some beat-up car or a rickety two-wheeler pulling this stunt. This kind of behavior should be considered a serious criminal offence, maybe similar to attempted murder.

Nobody has a right to put other peoples lives at risk for saving 10-15 minutes of his time. As someone who has had about three such near-misses (saved probably by strictly adhering to the policy of never exceeding 90kmph anywhere), I feel it's about time the law was made stricter for such behavior.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th September 2021 at 19:51. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
binoybnair is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 12:46   #33610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
Visual shown in this news.

https://Youtu.be/T20XBb1qT-I
How many people have to pay the ultimate price until the government and regulators step in and make underrun protectors on trucks mandatory? This is a skoda that's turned into pulp as it went under the truck, there are numerous incidents like this where entire occupants of vehicles like Innova's, Fortuners, Range Rovers, S-Class's have lost their lives because trucks in India does not have underrun protectors, something that every developed country mandates by law to have.

It's really about time a PIL was submitted in the highest court of the country (if the legal system still works that is).
arun_m5 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 13:07   #33611
BHPian

From my limited experience driving on TN highways, it seems to me anything over 80kmph is quite frankly - courting disaster. The number of variables involved is way too much - from pedestrians crossing in the middle of deserted highways to stray animals jumping right in front of the fast lane from the divider - it's just not humanly possible to react to everything at speed.

Not to mention the menace of trucks and tractors coming on the wrong side from blind turns and two-wheelers darting right in front of you without using mirrors.

Driving at night is another ballgame altogether - which I'd avoid at all costs unless I am driving a tank.

A lot of my friends seem to think that - as long they are not technically wrong it's not their job to account for these variables. For which my answer is a) legal speed limit is 80 kmph in TN, which means they are almost always overspeeding illegally. b) quoting a popular BHPian "you'd be just as dead as if you were in the wrong".

I have read a lot of BHPians arguing that speed doesn't kill by itself and it requires other variables to come together - and come together they will at regular intervals on our roads.

I am also awaiting a discussion on Skodas build quality vs Tatas now
darkfantasy is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 19:22   #33612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfantasy View Post
....to stray animals jumping right in front of the fast lane from the divider ....
Ours is probably the only country where illogical practices such as planting shrubs and bushes on the highway divider exists and there are counter arguments in their favour saying they cut out glare from the opposite lane etc.

Plants are an open invitation to attracting grazing animals towards the divider, not to mention the blind spots they create and if any animal or human suddenly emerges from these shubs onto the fast lane, the driver has literally no time to react.

Also a common sight is a water tanker slowly watering these plants right in the middle of the fast lane directly in the path of fast moving vehicles and posing a real danger.

The divider can be barricaded or fenced with metal or concrete, but the practice of planting shrubs and bushes on the divider needs to be abolished and will go a long way in making our highways safer.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 27th September 2021 at 19:24.
for_cars1 is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 23:10   #33613
BHPian

Saw this accident while travelling to Gokarna from Hubli via Yellapur. This road is a single lane which is well laid out. It’s known for some notorious driving and blind overtakes. Some observations from my end was that Etios looked very much intact with Airbags deployed. I will not be surprised if the person standing next to it was the driver. The other car was badly damaged.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bc4bddc11e054d239b65c5924274758a.jpeg  

vj_torqueaddict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 10:40   #33614
BHPian

Not sure if this can be called as accident or pure arrogance and sheer neglect for forces of nature.

The state transport bus entered a water flow despite warnings and when all other vehicles were waiting. The bus lost against the water force and apparently led to death of at least 1 person.

The driver should be booked for manslaughter in my opinion. He took an absolutely unnecessary risk. Kudos to the local youth who jumped in water to save rest of the passengers.

theflyingguy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 15:54   #33615
Distinguished - BHPian

Got this on a Whatsapp group. I Have no idea how it happened.
It is the Pure EV EPluto 7G scooter.
People are talking in Telugu, so it must be AP or Telangana.

I had never felt good about ePluto. No offence to any owners here, but it feels like a cheap Chinese Vespa look-alike to me.

But my bigger concern here is that people will generalize this as “EVs are dangerous” and that is not a good thing to happen at this stage.

PS: From the comments I could gather that it happened in Hyderabad.
hemanth.anand is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed