Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2021, 07:00   #33736
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post
All this talk of safe cars is a little fatuous. We live in India. Everything in this country is life-threatening to a certain extent.
'optimism bias' worked well for me till it didn't on a saturday evening. The emotional suffering I has to undergo to check every family member whether they are unhurt, to find a way to send them home and the associated thought process of 'what could I have done right' persisted for a long time.

Yes, the roads are unsafe, everything is getting closer to 'final destination' kind of in this country. For the same reasons it's better to do whatever one can to things under our control and be prepared to face the unknown rather than leave everything to chance and fate.

Quote:
Shouldn't we have threads in which we encourage members to prefer rail or air transport over going by road, as that is much safer?
Ideally that's the way transportation should have evolved for a highly dense population like ours. Unfortunate that instead of chalking a plan for the future according to the ground reality, we delve mostly in the 'let me survive for now' mode and that results in moving from one crisis to another, forever.
ramzsys is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 16:49   #33737
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
'optimism bias' worked well for me till it didn't on a saturday evening. ... ... ...
Hope you are all well and not too much damage done. There is an expression for this optimism bias, that we can hear any time we try to persuade someone that they just risked their life...

"Nothing will happen."

And it's true, and the longer nothing happens, the more sure people get that nothing will happen.

Nothing will happen... until the day it does.

If only we could all drive, all the time, as if something was very likely to happen. That would be a world changer. It's not impossible: it's called defensive driving.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 17:19   #33738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post
If the road is not safe, then one ought not travel on it. Yet people do not think twice about taking their large, "safe" SUV on unsafe roads. If we discourage the use of tin can cars for the sake of safety, shouldn't we also discourage the use of "tin can" roads for the sake of safety by the same token? Shouldn't we have threads in which we encourage members to prefer rail or air transport over going by road, as that is much safer?
There are some things we can't control and some we can control. Knowing all the risks on Indian roads, would not it be better if we are inside a somewhat safer car? While nothing can provide 100% protection, but probability of survival might be more in the event of an accident. The car I am going to purchase is definitely under my control.
airbus is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 18:03   #33739
Senior - BHPian

Parked outside Bandra Police station in Mumbai..

Maruti Celerio

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-4115a67e40394f39b4e0a83efb8939a3.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-b83eb4f157064f9aa7584b8c630b9505.jpeg

BMW 530i

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-b1c352b84bd64ed0b3e67bf1c95fdff3.jpeg
SnS_12 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 15:40   #33740
BHPian

This video of a hit and run incident in Punjab is in news today, looks so scary. May the departed soul RIP.

https://www.truescoopnews.com/newsde...landhar-1-dead
Logan2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 15:43   #33741
Senior - BHPian

Punjab Woman Run Over, Cop Arrested, Chilling Hit-And-Run On CCTV

Source: NDTV

Quote:
the women are seen standing on the road divider, about to cross, when they appear to spot the white Maruti Brezza and react by trying to get out of the way. But the car, driven allegedly by inspector Amrit Pal Singh, careens into them and disappears without breaking speed.

Navjot Kaur, who worked in a car showroom, died on the spot. The other woman is in hospital with serious wounds.
Accident Video : Twitter

Photo Source : The Tribune

Name:  2021_10largeimg_1405367780.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  54.9 KB

Horrific accident.

Though a police officer running away from accident spot is definitely criminal, but, IMHO, the victims are also equally responsible for the accident. They are crossing the 6-lane highway (jaywalking) through a solid barrier
AutoNoob is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 15:51   #33742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Punjab Woman Run Over, Cop Arrested, Chilling Hit-And-Run On CCTV
Holy! Warning: That videos isn't for faint hearted.
So many questions. How did these women ever end up there? The divider is quite tall with sloping foundation on both sides. Why did the car swing towards them? Slept at the wheel, was trying to avoid someone else not in the video...horrible.
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 16:49   #33743
Senior - BHPian

Our body is not 5 star rated for taking hits like that and that video was a chilling example of that. My eyes could be mistaken but she was literally flung like a rag doll :(

Sad video to see, hope the police officer is caught and legal actions are taken against him.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 17:08   #33744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Though a police officer running away from accident spot is definitely criminal, but, IMHO, the victims are also equally responsible for the accident. They are crossing the 6-lane highway (jaywalking) through a solid barrier
Though I agree with the point you are making, in general, yet, there is third party to blame as well - the infrastructure. I see in the pictures, that it's a populated place. In a wide photograph, I don't see any pedestrian crossing in the vicinity.

I too live near a highway. The worse part is, it's a sloping road. On the downward slope, loaded vehicles run at 60kmph+ and normal cars at ~80kmph. There is no pedestrian crossing for about 5kms. What choice do people have in such scenarios? Sometimes, after such incidents, people protest and make the authority build crossings.

Sadly once these incidents disappear in oblivion, people stop using these crossings and start crossing the road, putting multiple lives in danger. Sadly, we live in a country where time is more valuable than the risk of life/injury.

I know I am contradicting my statements; well, our system is complex. What can I say?
akshye is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 17:28   #33745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Why did the car swing towards them? Slept at the wheel, was trying to avoid someone else not in the video...horrible.
I think it was a case of trying to scare them by passing closely gone terribly wrong.
AnandB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 17:50   #33746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Holy! Warning: That videos isn't for faint hearted.
So many questions. How did these women ever end up there? The divider is quite tall with sloping foundation on both sides. Why did the car swing towards them? Slept at the wheel, was trying to avoid someone else not in the video...horrible.
The picture and the video seem to be of different locations. In the video the divider seems to be painted in black and white and doesn't seem to have any sloping foundation.
ishan12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 18:33   #33747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
hope the police officer is caught and legal actions are taken against him.
Yes, he was arrested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshye View Post
I don't see any pedestrian crossing in the vicinity.

Sadly once these incidents disappear in oblivion, people stop using these crossings and start crossing the road, putting multiple lives in danger.
Both your points are equally valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
I think it was a case of trying to scare them by passing closely gone terribly wrong.
I hope not, else its increases the culpability of the driver many folds. In that case its outright murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
The picture and the video seem to be of different locations. In the video the divider seems to be painted in black and white and doesn't seem to have any sloping foundation.
I think its same location. On comparing the photo and video, the accident seems to have taken place on right lane (in photo). In video, the traffic behind the girls is on lower level.

Name:  2021_10largeimg_14053677801.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  100.4 KB
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 18:58   #33748
BHPian

Disheartened to post picture of my own car here. Got rear ended by a Tata Safari on NH48, near Beawar. More details
here: (Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review)

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20211016_061218.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20211016_061235.jpg
sinharishi is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 19:28   #33749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Disheartened to post picture of my own car here. Got rear ended by a Tata Safari on NH48, near Beawar. More details
here: (Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review)

TRust everyone is safe? Looks like it was a high impact collision. Did both vehicles have the same direction of travel?
Old 18th October 2021, 20:28   #33750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
TRust everyone is safe? Looks like it was a high impact collision. Did both vehicles have the same direction of travel?
Yes, everyone came out safe. I slowed down for speed breaker and he rammed into me at high speed.
sinharishi is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed