Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2021, 16:39   #33781
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

If I am driving a car with whom I am not familiar, I would be extra careful in it. The bonnets for most of the new cars are not visible which makes it more difficult when turning, specially in a restricted space. I think most of these are misjudgements in estimating the length and width of the car and not the steering behaviour. The sensitivity or feel of the brake pedal also matters as to where exactly the brakes bite and slow down the car.
adi.mariner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 19:22   #33782
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I guess, most 'misjudgements' about vehicle width are made by people who are new to vehicles with 'bulged out' lower body. The peripheral vision reference for the width of whatever you are driving is based on the A pillar (happens subconsciously) and vehicles like duster, new harrier/safari/XUV500 etc are perfect recipes for misjudging the position of the wheels on the road.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 19:23   #33783
BHPian

This is a ridiculous excuse after a crash!.

"First time I am driving this car, hence was caught by surprise by its behavior".

No one on the road can ever anticipate that and stay away from your path while the 'newbie' gets comfortable .

I remember my first time in the driver's seat on an Innova after driving only a sedan until then. It was right after breakfast on the highway. I took a mini go around in the parking itself, stopped and explored the basics once before hitting the highway.
Nalin1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 20:05   #33784
BHPian

Half of the new drivers now do not put any effort to know the left side of their car. They are not being taught how to judge the distance left between the left side of road and their car. This creates a huge problem on single lane roads where these drivers will drive with their right wheel on the median forcing opposite side incoming vehicle to adjust and drive on the shoulder while they have 5 feet road left on their left side. They just sit on the seat and drive away.

I know many people who have never even opened their bonnet ever. Some of them don't even roam around their car to see if everythings alright. I was taught to open the bonnet every now and to check whether everything is alright or not. If I see a dented car or a commercial pick up, either I will slow down enough to let them take a comfortable lead or I just press the A pedal hard to vanish.

I also have a problem in hard breaking due to the fear of being rear ended. If a situation arises where a I see a sudden unmarked speed breaker, I have no problem letting the car cross it at a speed rather than to bring it to near complete halt, especially if a vehicle is tailing me.
Sran is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 20:49   #33785

My first post on Team-BHP, what a way to enter this platform.

Obviously, nobody wants to be a part of this thread by being in one of those poor cars posted here. Unfortunately, my contribution to this thread is our very own car.

At 5:50 AM, while heading from Bangalore to Karaikudi on a road trip, a simple overtake move on two trucks, one taking up each of the two lanes ( ) went slightly wrong. The truck on the right side sped up at the wrong time and just as we were moving to the right lane, the rear door of our car made contact with the truck and the car was essentially pit-manuvered and the right-hand side took quite some damage.

Mechanically though, the car was perfect, no suspension damage, the mirror folded electrically, no airbags deployed, brakes and throttle were great. In fact, even with a huge panel gap, it was still a lot quieter at highway speeds than a lot of other cars I've seen.

The pictures are attached.

Name:  202.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  20211021.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  79.1 KB
Rishi Vikram is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 08:51   #33786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi Vikram View Post
My first post on Team-BHP, what a way to enter this platform.

Obviously, nobody wants to be a part of this thread by being in one of those poor cars posted here. Unfortunately, my contribution to this thread is our very own car.
Very sorry to see such a nice car in that condition.
Hope you have decent insurance cover and it gets back to its previous glory soon.

While overtaking vehicles on highways, we need to be cautious as anything that can go wrong will definitely go so. If something happens even after we did everything that we possibly can, you jut need to grin and bear it. No other options.

AND, welcome to the forum!!!

Last edited by FORTified : 22nd October 2021 at 08:52. Reason: small grammetical fix
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 22:33   #33787
BHPian

Came across this incident of a Harley Davidson 750 ramming into the hind quarters of a cow on the highway, I felt the rider was doing high speeds.

motorpsycho is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 00:56   #33788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Half of the new drivers now do not put any effort to know the left side of their car. They are not being taught how to judge the distance left between the left side of road and their car. .
I am a fairly inexperienced driver (covered about 6k kms in 10 months) and I can judge the distance on the left side of my car way better when I'm on the road, moving than when say I want to park parallelly (across length of the wall, footpath). How does one judge this distance between wall and left side of the car ? Any tips would be really helpful. I use my left side rear view mirror to gauge the distance between wheels and the side of the road but I'm worried if the lower body or the mirror will scrap !
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 01:20   #33789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Came across this incident of a Harley Davidson 750 ramming into the hind quarters of a cow on the highway, I felt the rider was doing high speeds.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=fq0JGsFoY2Y
Yeah he's going way too fast. Hope the cow is alright, poor thing doesn't deserve being rammed into by some fool pretending he's driving his big old bike in the big old US of A.
karanddd is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 07:53   #33790
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Half of the new drivers now do not put any effort to know the left side of their car. They are not being taught how to judge the distance left between the left side of road and their car. This creates a huge problem on single lane roads where these drivers will drive with their right wheel on the median forcing opposite side incoming vehicle to adjust and drive on the shoulder while they have 5 feet road left on their left side. They just sit on the seat and drive away.

I know many people who have never even opened their bonnet ever. Some of them don't even roam around their car to see if everythings alright.
Blame the technology. Most of the new drivers that I know never even check to see if there are any obstacles while reversing. Completely depend on the camera/sensors. Even though my car is equipped with some of the basic technology, I still follow the old school method where I turn around, hold the front passenger headrest and reverse (I hope many get the picture ).

As for basic maintenance, I know someone close to me who never knew something about "general maintenance" or "engine oil". I was shocked to hear when he said that he never knew that we could check/see the engine oil level. He was like "Oh, so we can do all those under the bonnet" and I simply replied "Do you even know that there's an engine under here". This really happened few months back.

Anyways - Sorry for the OT.
naveen.raju is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 08:28   #33791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
I am a fairly inexperienced driver (covered about 6k kms in 10 months) and I can judge the distance on the left side of my car way better when I'm on the road, moving than when say I want to park parallelly (across length of the wall, footpath). How does one judge this distance between wall and left side of the car ? Any tips would be really helpful. I use my left side rear view mirror to gauge the distance between wheels and the side of the road but I'm worried if the lower body or the mirror will scrap !
Pease check this video (It is for LHD cars and parking on the right side). We just need to change based on our style (RHD and left side parking), method is the same.

Practice few times and you can park your car in seconds.
Latheesh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 09:31   #33792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post
Yeah he's going way too fast. Hope the cow is alright, poor thing doesn't deserve being rammed into by some fool pretending
Yes he was fast, about 120+, but the cause of the accident was due to target fixation more than anything. It is way dangerous to be in the fast lane nowadays as animals/people appear out of nowhere, suddenly. The bushes/plants in the median do not help the cause either.

OT : Nowdays these stray cattle has become a nuisance, just travel by MP and you get the gist. I do extensive travel and can say with confidence MP beats any other state in the number of cattle on the national highway. Why even states like Gujarat/Rajasthan/UP e.t.c.; are far far behind.
Vasuki is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 10:02   #33793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
When you are starting out, until it becomes second nature to you to park, try the following -

Study these images:

Name:  6D589EC3A8804BB298D36DF4859E7E84.jpeg
Views: 717
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  840F024270D944D492526DA0DC3A0AB3.jpeg
Views: 686
Size:  61.0 KB

The central climate control sensor on the dashboard of my EcoSport is what I use sometimes when parking close to the curb (or navigating my way through dense traffic / crowded areas). It’s at a spot that is, roughly, the geometric point where an axis through the centre of the car of the car would pass - dividing the car into two halves -, and a diagonal passing from the driver’s position to the left outermost edge of the car. Let’s call it the “dot”.

A couple of case studies (there are other methods too, but here’s one application):

Case 1 - An object X is to the right of the dot.

Result - On driving straight you will scrape your left side / hit the object somewhat head-on.

Case 2 - Object X is to the left of the dot.

Result - On driving straight you will be clear of the object.

Case 3 - Object X is aligned with the dot.

Result - Your left wheels would more or less drive on the object (can even be a road marking / pavement), or be very close to it.

You need to find out the sweet spot between cases 2 and 3. For this, you will have to get out of the car and go manually inspect the distance between the bumper or body and the object until you are familiar with how your car behaves. Of course, there’s a certain distance for clearance that you will have to either learn intuitively or practice until you are familiar with it, to find out. Once you drive long enough, all this would be second nature to you, and you wouldn’t have to rely on these tactics.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-640cd07e410d4c608be0ed63a8086bb2.jpeg

You can alternatively use a small idol / piece of tape stuck onto the windshield (or dashboard) to form the ”dot” in your (I’m assuming) Creta.

Good luck!
TheHelix0202 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 12:11   #33794
BHPian

News report states the scooter rider has been identified and will be arrested soon.

ask_017 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 14:25   #33795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_017 View Post
News report states the scooter rider has been identified and will be arrested soon.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=0YB7fo5t_Bw
This is what comes to mind for most of the videos in this thread - "what the heck was he thinking/ doing"?

Was the car with the dashcam chasing him for any reason? He could have cut to the left *before* he went ahead of that girl, but he did something no two wheeler rider will attempt to!
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed