Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2021, 18:40   #33856
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Hmmm, just as I was getting a thought about replacing my Tjet with MG Astor, I see this picture. Mine and family safety is No.1 in the order of preference when choosing automobiles and the Tjet comes with added advantage of one of the best driver's car. I dont know what other car could have withstood that kind of load on its roof.
I am putting off the thoughts of changing my car for now. Convinced my kids and wife that latest gizmos will not help save their lives when needed.
I am a past owner of a T-Jet and nothing more would warm my heart to see the continued love for this machine. But great as it was, it is past its sell-by date unfortunately.
One freak accident of the Linea roof sustaining the load of an empty container doesn't make it any safer than modern cars designed 10 years later, with much more advanced ECUs managing ABS, ESP , may be better designed and more airbags etc. not to mention the ADAS itself (if the driver is comfortable with it). So I feel a current-gen Astor is still a better bet than a Linea.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 28th October 2021 at 18:42.
fhdowntheline is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 18:57   #33857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
They had been totally bedridden after an accident last year. They had been driving to Gonda in UP when the car crashed to avoid a wayward biker.
Vehicle accidents change people's lives. The physical trauma never goes away and only gets worse with age.
caffeineAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 19:24   #33858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbaj View Post
else it was a break failure of the bus.
The bus is heading dead center to the gap between the two vehicles, probably blaring the horns (the stock ones are meek anyway), hoping they will give way. Looks like a brake failure indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Last edited by bejoy : 28th October 2021 at 19:27.
Old 29th October 2021, 08:38   #33859
BHPian

Quote:
"They had been driving to Gonda in UP when the car crashed to avoid a wayward biker."
Moral: get a dashcam and don't swerve hard for wayward bikers. Brake and swerve gently to demonstrate your effort to stop.
StopUnderrides is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 09:01   #33860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Fury View Post
They don't wear helmets in Pondicherry. Ever.
Rightly Said. The sheer number of people not confirming this rule in Pondicherry is humongous. I did visit Pondicherry a couple of months back and strangely I was the only one who was riding with a helmet on.

I believe this is the case with all Tourist Places in India. The Imposition becomes tough when you have a lot of Bike rental places. Worse still is the number of people who commit to drunken driving.
Madrasin_selvan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 09:48   #33861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Attachment 2225055

This is from one of the first batch of Lineas which even had the additional support beam running across L-R middle of the roof.

This picture got me thinking. Why did the rear bumper cave IN? Was there another vehicle that read-ended it, while it is under the container? OR some past sin of the Linea?
Old 29th October 2021, 10:20   #33862
BHPian

Quote:
An elderly Delhi couple committed suicide two days back. The wife was my mother's lifelong colleague and good friend. We are both distraught as well as understand completely.
Read about in TOI. Unfortunately our roads are full of such drivers, who dont care about their own lives, forget about others.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th October 2021 at 16:25. Reason: broken quote tags
BhayanaV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 15:53   #33863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post

This accident is eerily similar to another Linea accident in the initial pages of this thread, where a fully loaded truck had fallen on a Linea and the occupants came out unscathed. Well, the good news stays the same here.

Gotta say the car did a commendable job here too!
I remember that one being a Purple coloured Linea and my start of a love for Linea. I also read that family again bought a Linea just because of its strong body. Finally bought a lovely pre worshipped one last year which I am unable to drive much due to being outstation and Spine Injury.
Old 29th October 2021, 16:17   #33864
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all for your replies - its still surreal for mom since at 75 there's only so many people you truly relate to. You always have hope your friends will recover from an accident. In fact, they were otherwise the fit couple anyone could have bet was going to live healthily into their 80s but fate is cruel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
Moral: get a dashcam and don't swerve hard for wayward bikers. Brake and swerve gently to demonstrate your effort to stop.
As a touring addict, I always wondered about this. I was apprehensive that ABS would remove the tell tale tyre marks that could be used in a post-accident argument to show how I tried my best to avoid the accident.

This is a fair point. I strongly think there should be a way that these dashcam videos get auto uploaded / emailed to trusted friends list after an accident. Because a regular micro SD card can be stolen or wrested from us in the melee right after an accident. Best is to save the facts of the case from any negative vested elements - local police would have zero interest in a honest investigation. They would be happier taking from rich city dwellers like us to compensate the deceased local.
phamilyman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 17:42   #33865
BHPian

Latest incident from Erode in Tamilnadu. 3 Dead in Car accident in Erode

As usual the Truck driver (larger vehicle) has been booked for causing Head-on collision and Rash driving (he is absconding). However there are these glaring issues in the "official" version
1. The lane is a 2 way road and fairly compact. The Lorry is already on the left side as per the Initial pictures. One of the vehicles must have been driving extremely rashly.
2. Half the Renault Logan has gone inside the Lorry. This seems highly implausible If the Lorry hit the Car at great force. Only the Car crashing into the Lorry at great force fits better into the condition of the Renault.
3. Considering the late hours 10.30pm+ and the fact that the Car was driven by owner and not some professional driver fatigue cannot be ruled out also.

Finally prayers for the departed souls in the Renault Logan.

Last edited by venbas : 29th October 2021 at 18:08. Reason: Typos
Old 29th October 2021, 17:56   #33866
BHPian

Quote:
An elderly Delhi couple committed suicide two days back. The wife was my mother's lifelong colleague and good friend. We are both distraught as well as understand completely

The reason?
They had been totally bedridden after an accident last year. They had been driving to Gonda in UP when the car crashed to avoid a wayward biker.
Really distressing to read such news. Since there were vehicle(s) involved in the prologue of the tragedy can you tell us which Car (Make and Model) was used by the elderly couple that got into this nasty accident. Being elderly people I am thinking that there would have been instructions to the driver to go fairly slowly/defensively. Yet this accident managed to maim the old couple so badly that it lead to their eventual suicide rather than to put up with the suffering. None of the media highlighted the Car details for obvious reasons.

Last edited by venbas : 29th October 2021 at 18:06. Reason: Quote correction
Old 29th October 2021, 18:31   #33867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
3. Considering the late hours 10.30pm+ and the fact that the Car was driven by owner and not some professional driver fatigue cannot be ruled out also.

Finally prayers for the departed souls in the Renault Logan.
Isn't it a VW Ameo?

That road is heavily used by trucks and most of them are well driven. Smaller vehicles can be seen driven rash here. Post 9 pm means no two wheeler traffic and it is peaceful to drive. And according to the report, the person who drove the vehicle were returning after some treatment in a hospital!
Old 29th October 2021, 18:36   #33868
BHPian

Had an incident few days back, I reached a signal and was waiting, a bike came from the right side and tried to squeeze into the gap, between my car and other vehicles. As he tried he just collapsed into the gap damaging my bumper and dislodging it. I guess the guy was drunk and couldn't control his bike in the small gap. luckily I had my dash cam in action.

damage to my car with no fault.....

smileline is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 22:06   #33869
Senior - BHPian

Over the past 4-5 years it has become a ritual : a few days prior to each highway drive, I return to this thread and catch up on unread posts.

It has helped me to learn important lessons without having to go through the corresponding bad experiences, to identify scenarios where I should be more vigilant, to keep away from bad driving habits, to get updated with good tips and tricks.
adisan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 22:34   #33870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileline View Post
... he just collapsed into the gap ...
I'm very sorry for the damage to your car, but that video is the funniest thing I've seen on this thread, which sees far more tragedy than comedy.

What's not funny, is that the guy, looking pretty shaky, probably rode on.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks