Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2021, 15:50   #33916
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Fire crackers are explosives.
I know, what i meant was may be some high explosives, the way they went off, it was awful. Some experts from the ordnance department can only confirm on that, I guess.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 16:24   #33917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
Somewhere in Tamil Nadu, a father and son found a box of fire crackers for Diwali, which they took, and on the way back, it exploded killing them both. Wonder whether it was some explosives instead of fire crackers. RIP.

https://Youtu.be/goVP7s505u8
Just unbelievable. Had this happened in Delhi or Mumbai it would have been investigated as a terrorist attack. Looks more like a bomb explosion rather than a fire cracker explosion.

Really sorry for the father and son. May their sole RIP.
sunbaj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 16:33   #33918
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I know, what i meant was may be some high explosives ...
I think (but I certainly don't know) that the stuff in fireworks would be quite high enough if it was built into an appropriate container. but... just a box? Many people the world over have been seriously injured as a result of one spark in a firework box, but I do share your surprise at actually being blown to bits.

I wonder what ignited it. heat from the engine?
Old 5th November 2021, 18:53   #33919
BHPian

The comments are depressing for me. It's all about Tata's build quality, not the stupidity of the driver of the Nexon. Can we, for once, stop praising Tata's build quality in every accident and discuss the perils of driving like an absolute bonehead on Indian roads? It almost seems like getting a "safe car" is a license for people to drive recklessly because they won't die if something goes wrong.
RoadMonkey is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 21:39   #33920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Somewhere in Tamil Nadu, a father and son found a box of firecrackers for Diwali, which they took, and on the way back, it exploded killing them both.
That's absolutely horrifying. A sad ending in Diwali. It could be something else (not crackers), but those if's and but's have no meaning now. I pray that no one else has to go through such a thing anywhere, anytime.
W.A.G.7 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 22:03   #33921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
That's absolutely horrifying. A sad ending in Diwali. It could be something else (not crackers), but those if's and but's have no meaning now. I pray that no one else has to go through such a thing anywhere, anytime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbaj View Post
Just unbelievable. Had this happened in Delhi or Mumbai it would have been investigated as a terrorist attack. Looks more like a bomb explosion rather than a fire cracker explosion.

Really sorry for the father and son. May their sole RIP.
It has made the news in national media as well. Seems like local firecrackers they bought.

Quote:
Police said K Kalainesan, 37, from Ariyankuppam known for its high decibel and cheap country fireworks in Puducherry was proceeding to his in-law's house in Koonimedu in Villupuram district with his son K Pradeesh, 7, carrying two bags of country fireworks, which he bought from the locality.
https://timesofindia.com/city/puduch...w/87527403.cms
RoadMonkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 23:38   #33922
BHPian

Quote:
Somewhere in Tamil Nadu, a father and son found a box of fire crackers for Diwali, which they took, and on the way back, it exploded killing them both. Wonder whether it was some explosives instead of fire crackers. RIP.
That is horrifying, the explosion was enormous. I’m definitely more afraid of fireworks than I was before watching this video.

I hope no one else has to endure such a fate as these two. May the departed rest in peace.
Old 6th November 2021, 06:23   #33923
Senior - BHPian

^^ Re the Puducherry fire crackers blast, I believe the biggest mistake that the father did was to tie these with the leg guard of the bike. The heat of the (air cooled) engine did the rest to these country made explosives (obviously these weren't made to any norms).

So unfortunate that accident happened for not applying common sense.
Old 6th November 2021, 07:05   #33924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
The comments are depressing for me. It's all about Tata's build quality, not the stupidity of the driver of the Nexon. Can we, for once, stop praising Tata's build quality in every accident and discuss the perils of driving like an absolute bonehead on Indian roads? It almost seems like getting a "safe car" is a license for people to drive recklessly because they won't die if something goes wrong.
While I agree on the comments about build quality, what did catch my attention was the barricades on this road.

Ever since the Supreme Court passed an order to remove all speed breakers on National Highways, the work around was to put barricades and make people do a ‘Reverse S’ between 3 of them that’s placed or just one like we see in this video.

I’m not sure if the barricades actually prevent accidents and in fact, it feels like they remain one of the ‘Cause’ as well. Not everyone does crazy speeds and even if you are a bit sedate, you sometimes don’t notice this till the very last 10-15 seconds.

(Try driving on Avanashi road towards Coimbatore, I literally struggled in the right most lane where the Coimbatore traffic police placed these single barricades. Was very hard to merge back to the road after coming to a complete halt)

Last edited by vb-saan : 6th November 2021 at 08:04. Reason: Quote tags fixed
jkrishnakj is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 10:49   #33925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbaj View Post
...it would have been investigated as a terrorist attack. Looks more like a bomb explosion rather than a fire cracker explosion.
These could have been gelatin sticks/dynamite typically used for stone/quarrying/blasting activities. It is definitely not regular firecrackers and a single powerful explosion, possibly timed from the video. Can not rule out sabotage in this case.
for_cars1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 19:31   #33926
BHPian

Okay Tata Bye Bye

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tata.jpg

Sarvodaya is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 19:34   #33927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
These could have been gelatin sticks/dynamite typically used for stone/quarrying/blasting activities. It is definitely not regular firecrackers and a single powerful explosion, possibly timed from the video. Can not rule out sabotage in this case.
Ever since crackers started going greener and less noisier it has become a craze to look for alternatives that can bring the "boom from the good old days". This has manifested itself in dangerous contrabands masquerading as country crackers. Infact my son was scoffed at by another kid in the locality for bursting standard crackers...this teen kid swore by the country make crackers for providing best fun. I politely explained to my son the perils of country make crackers and their inherent instability
venbas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 19:57   #33928
BHPian

Quote:
Woahhhhh, that is no firecracker. OMG, I'm terrified !!

My movie-inspired bomb expertise suggests Speed sensitive or motion-activated bomb kinda thing

My condolences to the family for the terrible accident, Diwali firecrackers can't possibly have such a huge explosion, can they?
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 00:17   #33929
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that it has been updated in the thread already that they bought the crackers, not found them. In my newspaper today it is said that they had two sacks, with the child sitting on top. A forensic expert says that friction was enough to set them off.

Another member of the family has been charged with dealing in the stuff.

The guy leaves behind a wife with an 11-month baby.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 09:46   #33930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Fire crackers are explosives.
These are not the usual crackers that are burst during Diwali. These are more powerful and commonly called as "Nattu Vedi" in tamil. They are burst in villages and rural areas during processions. Only a selected few are designated to handle them.
Lord Lucan is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed