Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2021, 10:35   #33976
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
I hope and pray that you are wrong, but given the way things are in our country, I'm not holding my breath. Unfortunately unless the system (driving schools, enforcement of traffic laws and the legal system) does not change, there will be hundreds of such characters prowling our roads. But that is a discussion for another thread.

I decided to let him go as I did not want to get caught up in our legal system, especially since everyone made it out relatively unscathed. The way things are, he would have been back riding / driving regardless (too many such examples to even bother listing them)..
You are a good human being & did what you felt was right, helping others is never a wrong thing to do, if the other person doesn't realise this & doesn't change, it's their loss & will probably not achieve anything greater in their lives.
Venkat_Figo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 20:13   #33977
BHPian

@fordfreak what you did was mighty good.I went through a similar situation couple of years ago but the outcome was bitter A biker without helmet on phone call collided on side of my car in a junction at high speed. I rushed him to the nearby hospital , he had a minor fracture to his arm.I payed the necessary bills and stayed with him until his relatives arrived and left on good terms. His bike was not insured too.

And here comes the twist I received a notice after 5 months for 15 lakhs compensation from his lawyer. Long story short my license got suspended for rash and negligent driving . According to MVI and lawyers the driver of the larger vehicle is at fault even if accident is not caused by him.

After this incident I'm extremely careful with bikers and autos and I've learned that a dashcam is the best accessory you can add to your car.
JJ1991 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 22:28   #33978
BHPian

Hit and run case in Madhapur, Hyderabad

An over speeding honda city driver hits a cyclist and escapes from the accident spot. From the video, it looks like the cyclist suffered severe spinal injury.

WhiteSierra is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 23:38   #33979
Senior - BHPian

^^ This is why I am dead against riding bicycles on roads which don't have fenced off cycle lanes. Was the driver of the car caught? Probably they caught a fall guy.
Gansan is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 01:54   #33980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
An over speeding honda city driver hits a cyclist and escapes from the accident spot. From the video, it looks like the cyclist suffered severe spinal injury.
Some more information are available here.

Quote:
On September 30, Madhapur police said that car has been traced and the legal process has been initiated against the accused. Police registered the case under section 337(causes hurt to any person by doing any act so rashly or negligently as to endanger human life) of IPC and 184 (rives a motor vehicle at a speed or in a manner which is dangerous to the public) and 187(takes part in a race or trial of speed) of MV ACT.
The driver of the Honda City was extremely rash and must be punished. Cyclist being slow mover, for their own safety (self preservation) should try to stick to left most part of the road where there is no dedicated cycle lane. Here in Bengaluru, I see a strange behaviour of some cyclist riding on extreme right just next to the divider

Last edited by airbus : 14th November 2021 at 02:18.
airbus is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 01:55   #33981
BHPian

Quote:

The cyclist was very lucky and it looks like he escaped with his life. What should be done to hit and run drivers?

They should be banned from driving for life like practiced in some countries. Such drivers have no place on the roads.

Last edited by Indian2003 : 14th November 2021 at 01:56.
Indian2003 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 01:59   #33982
BHPian

Quote:

Both at fault !!

Honda City guy satisfying his Track Day cravings on a 2 lane road that too by overtaking on the left lane.

Cyclist guy wearing a helmet having basic sense is avoiding a dirt patch by choosing to go in the middle of the road and not ensuring that the lane is clear of oncoming traffic.
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 10:45   #33983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohaNN_kWh View Post
Both at fault !!

Honda City guy satisfying his Track Day cravings on a 2 lane road that too by overtaking on the left lane.

Cyclist guy wearing a helmet having basic sense is avoiding a dirt patch by choosing to go in the middle of the road
The left most part of the road usually has sand/water pools/stones not to mention garbage and pointy object that the tyres don't like. Plus a large part of the driving populace (all wheel counts starting with 2 ) view cycles as a nuisance, and since overtaking on the left is a birthright in India, the slow moving cycle better scram .

I agree that the cyclist should have stuck to the left most lane. As you have mentioned, he/she probably saw dirt on the left lane and shifted to middle lane to avoid risk of puncture/skidding/additional exertion to pedal through a bag of sand.

This scenario is exactly what made me give up cycling , a short time after taking it up. With tired legs, it is very tempting to shift the lane to avoid sandy paths, especially on those long up-ramps of flyovers. The reality simply is that both our infrastructure and fellow motorists care a hoot for cyclist.

Quote:
and not ensuring that the lane is clear of oncoming traffic.
The cyclist was hit from the back! Expecting the cyclist to anticipate a recklessly driven car is asking too much. Hope no permanent injuries to the cyclist.
whitewing is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 11:13   #33984
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That cyclist was an idiot by riding in the middle of the road with all vehicles (including the speeding Honda) whizzing right next to him. It's not even like he just by-chance went towards right; from the start of the video (when the truck passed him) he's been wandering in the middle of the road. What was he thinking?

While the police file a case on the car driver, there needs to be a case filed against the cyclist too on grounds of sheer stupidity!

p.s. Perspective of an active cyclist here. You have to take consideration of the road situation, can't act as if you are riding in a park.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 14th November 2021 at 11:15.
ninjatalli is offline   (73) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 11:44   #33985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both at fault !!

Cyclist guy wearing a helmet having basic sense is avoiding a dirt patch by choosing to go in the middle of the road and not ensuring that the lane is clear of oncoming traffic.
You already said everything I wanted to say.

I get it. Cyclist was completely stupid to ride bang in the middle of road knowing fully well how large vehicles drive in our country. But, that doesn't excuses Honda City driver for driving like a moron and then fleeing the scens. Cyclist learnered his lesson in an unfortunate way. I hope Honda City driver gets caught and spends some time behind bars to learn his lesson.

Side note- I love riding a bike. Even cycling was a good stress buster for me. I gave up both due to high probability of getting hit by such morons.

Last edited by harry10 : 14th November 2021 at 11:47.
harry10 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 17:04   #33986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...is avoiding a dirt patch by choosing to go in the middle of the road and not ensuring that the lane is clear of oncoming traffic.
Even pedestrians do the same! They want to avoid a bad patch of road. And will just move to the good part of the road without checking whether it is safe for themselves and the vehicles.
adisan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 20:57   #33987
BHPian

Mindless Overtaking gone wrong.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-crash.jpg

Sarvodaya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 21:31   #33988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Saw this, the fellow was doing 112 kmph while losing control.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th November 2021 at 19:51. Reason: Video and attachment deleted from quoted bit
DRIV3R is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 21:32   #33989
BHPian

Quote:
This video should be submitted to the Idiots in bikes compilation. This will be a good beginning to Idiots in Cars and Bikes thread in this forum. What were these guys thinking? Insane! I do hope and pray that none of the workers were injured in this melee.

Regards,
lsjey

Last edited by lsjey : 14th November 2021 at 21:33.
lsjey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 08:55   #33990
BHPian

Quote:
Couldn't tell who is MORE mindless here!!!
The guy doing 111 on a bike, on a road with heavy vehicles?
The guy who is doing 111+ to overtake him, with clear visibility of a loaded road ahead?
The guy who is walking in the middle of the road, as if he is walking in his bathroom and alone?

What scares me is the bikes refusing to fall down.
I had this crazy experience where, near Davanagere, one biker, possibly asleep at the handle bar started veering to his right, no matter how much I honked and finally his handle hit my car near left-rear wheel. He promptly fall down. As I was anticipating that he will hit me I was slowing down by then. But, the fun started there. The bike started racing with me
It refused to fall and refused to slow down and refused to go on its own way. I couldn't slow down because the bike kept coming at me. The only way out for me was to win the race against that beast!!!!
In the ORVM, I saw that the biker woke up, picked himself from the road and joined the race trying to catch his runaway bike!!!
Never bothered to stop there - right or wrong.
FORTified is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed