Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2021, 09:06   #33991
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Also needs to be said that adequate barricades and warnings were not placed by the contractor to alert road users to road works, that too on what looks like a state highway. More than half the lane is unusable and pedestrians are forced to come to the center of the road like the video showed.

Related News article

Quote:
We have asked all civic contractors to ensure safety measures at the locations where their work is underway

The company did not install any barricades or diversion boards at the site, neglecting safety of road users

Last edited by vinu_h : 15th November 2021 at 09:14.
vinu_h is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 11:24   #33992
BHPian

The blue biker declutched to get a speed bump when he was already doing the ton. Engine revving its nuts off can be heard right before the yellow biker swished past. Perhaps if the blue biker didn't declutch, he would have had a narrow escape by being a few inches behind.
Ford5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 14:58   #33993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
An over speeding honda city driver hits a cyclist and escapes from the accident spot.
With all due respect to the victim:

The City was rash driving for sure.
But the cyclist is also equally at fault to ride such a slow moving vehicle in middle of the road. The person was putting himself and others at risk by doing so. (This thread itself have numerous incidents when vehicles get into accidents with innocent parties, while trying to avoid such careless vehicles)

In public road, one has to primarily rely on himself/herself for their own safety. The moment they entrust this responsibility to someone (like that Honda City driver), there is no guarantee of the outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Couldn't tell who is MORE mindless here!!!
The guy who is walking in the middle of the road, as if he is walking in his bathroom and alone?
From the video, it appears like those were set of workers doing the road side belt construction for that stretch.
sarathlal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 17:41   #33994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post

From the video, it appears like those were set of workers doing the road side belt construction for that stretch.
You must be right.
But, there was absolutely no safety precautions taken and that guy was just walking without a care in the world!!! That is inviting trouble.
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 17:45   #33995
BHPian

Quote:
The bike started racing with me
It refused to fall and refused to slow down and refused to go on its own way. I couldn't slow down because the bike kept coming at me. The only way out for me was to win the race against that beast!!!!
Reason - gyroscopic forces. Also the reason why seasoned bikers don't hold the handle with a tight grip. The bike rides itself beyond a certain critical speed and one can steer it with a very light grip (and recommended as well).

Interesting that it refused to slow down. This means that there are 3 possibilities:

1. If it was a downhill and if this guy was coasting
2. He probably had a throttle lock on
3. On impact (or while falling down) he somehow jammed the throttle
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 18:09   #33996
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
But the cyclist is also equally at fault to ride such a slow moving vehicle in middle of the road. The person was putting himself and others at risk by doing so. (This thread itself have numerous incidents when vehicles get into accidents with innocent parties, while trying to avoid such careless vehicles)

In public road, one has to primarily rely on himself/herself for their own safety. The moment they entrust this responsibility to someone (like that Honda City driver), there is no guarantee of the outcome.
True - there are a lot of wrongs in this scene

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-annotation-20211115-172619.png
  • The auto is driving in the middle of nowhere, as usual i.e. no-one can overtake it from the right.
  • Honda's view wasn't blocked - instead of trying to slow down, he tried to weave through.
  • Honda was overtaking from left as if it was his right!, without a care in the world. That is what it has become in this country with slower vehicles and lazy drivers occupying right lanes.
  • The cyclist is clearly out of place, no matter what speed, this is no place to ride a bicycle.
  • Last, but not the least, the police has conveniently named the video a case of rash driving. It was a hit and run, that is it! they don't know the speed! videos always look faster (they are enticing angry emotions in public with such comments). Maybe he was over speeding, but was that the cause of the accident? I think this was avoidable at most speeds.

Is it difficult to judge a cycle's speed in the middle of running traffic? very! it is closer to a pedestrian standing than anything moving on the road.

Why do people run, there is no justification but
1) The chance of getting away
2) The fear of getting snatched and killed by a mob is very real
3) The fear of being exploited by the Victim

Many on this thread have justified instant karma and similar behaviors, imagine the world out on the streets. The solution lies in settlement through third party insurance claims and treating an accident like an accident by the police, rather than siding with the victim and looking for opportunities to extort or scaring people with confiscating the car.

Last edited by SLK : 15th November 2021 at 18:25.
SLK is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 09:27   #33997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post

Interesting that it refused to slow down. This means that there are 3 possibilities:

1. If it was a downhill and if this guy was coasting
2. He probably had a throttle lock on
3. On impact (or while falling down) he somehow jammed the throttle
Sounds logical.

However, it is a plain straight road with no turns/ups/downs.
And, it is a Hero Honda Splendor - Not any super bike with throttle locks etc.,
It may be possible that his throttle is malfunctioning and he is manually twisting it forward to slow down. With him missing, nobody to slow it down and it was on its way to eternity
Old 16th November 2021, 10:20   #33998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It may be possible that his throttle is malfunctioning and he is manually twisting it forward to slow down.
The blue bike is a Yamaha R15, and the bike that hits it is either a Fazer or a Gixxer, you cannot cross even 90 on an splendor, once you cross 75 the reserve power is so less that 75 to 80 takes over half a km and beyond that even longer. Lastly the two colour tank and the MID is visible in the screenshot posted.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 13:24   #33999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Never thought I would be posting my own experience on this thread, but I guess fate had other plans.
So someone else ran a red light (first offence), hit + damaged your car (second offence), and you compensated him for his loss (which was due to his own negligence) and police did not challan / fine him?

Think about it from the opposite angle, would the riders & police have shown such attitude if you would have been the guilty party?

You may term it as generosity, but I see it as a morale booster to the rider to commit such acts repeatedly. In my opinion - forget compensation, you should have stuck to the legal route, & filed a complaint against those riders.
blackasta is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 11:36   #34000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Never thought I would be posting my own experience on this thread, but I guess fate had other plans.
It's really commendable that you decided to pay for the TV. But who's insurance is paying for the repairs?
skroychowdhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 12:00   #34001
BHPian

Another Tragic Incident of an SUV plunging off a flyover into an Open well near Dharmapuri on the Bengaluru National Highway. 2 Dead as SUV plunges off Flyover into Farm Well

RIP for the Departed Father Daughter Duo. This issue raises the following concerns
1. For an SUV to simply fly off an overbridge it must have been doing terrible speeds. The severe rains in November might have been an extenuating factor that the driver might have ignored.

2. Was the Overbridge designed to handle the impact of such vehicles veering off the road. If an SUV can fall off easily what would be the fate of heavier vehicles. Developed nations have long since moved the bar by making multiple layers of crash resistant barriers that can even keep out Large trucks.

3. I can't understand how there can be OPEN agricultural farm wells so close to the National Highways. Wouldn't the NHAI/Authorities be responsible for acquiring and foolproofing lands adjacent to National Highways to ensure safe drive. At the very minimum the land owners should be tasked/made to cover the Wells or add protective barriers.

4. If this is the state of a premier 6 lane National Highway that is jam-packed with Traffic I shudder to think of other lesser used Highways!

While other nations are moving towards safer road design and safer vehicles only we seem to be stuck in "Ill Fated" and "Act of God" theories

Last edited by venbas : 18th November 2021 at 12:04. Reason: Typos
venbas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 13:07   #34002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
the bike that hits it is either a Fazer or a Gixxer
Quote:

It may be possible that his throttle is malfunctioning and he is manually twisting it forward to slow down. With him missing, nobody to slow it down and it was on its way to eternity
Both of the motorcycles are R15 v3(yellow one is wrapped probably) and as a fellow R15 owner, I can say that there's nothing additionally modified with the motorcycle itself.

The motorcycle has excellent aerodynamics, centre balance and a low center of gravity which at triple digit speeds would take a long while before the weak engine braking(no rider makes the situation worse as there's no one to apply the brakes and also overall lesser weight for the engine) slows down the motorcycle to under 35kmph(considering he's in 6th gear) for the engine to start lugging and lose control.

You can find many videos in YouTube where the rider falls off the motorcycle but the motorcycle stays on course. Example of a R15v2 :

There's a reason why the R15 is the called the best beginner supersport in India and the priciest in it's segment. Sheer engineering of the Japanese at it's finest
shravansp24 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 22:46   #34003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
1. For an SUV to simply fly off an overbridge it must have been doing terrible speeds. The severe rains in November might have been an extenuating factor that the driver might have ignored.
It didn't fly off the over bridge. Here is a quote from another news site:
Quote:
C Kalaichelvan, superintendent of police (SP), Dharmapuri, said, “While crossing a flyover on Salem-Bengaluru National Highway, Veeran lost control over the SUV, which deviated from the road and plunged into the well that was close to the highway.”
Dharmapuri-Krishnagiri is 4 laned road. However, the flyovers have 6 lanes and the design is flawed where one lane disappears where it lands. Cannot rule out a tired or distracted driver who could not recover from running into the divider and then deviating from the highway.
bejoy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 08:30   #34004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravansp24 View Post
The rider was rash speeding when he overtook the 220, no doubt, but the i20 almost intentionally took down this guy, the way it switched three lanes without any indication whatsoever.
railfanwithk750 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 08:52   #34005
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfanwithk750 View Post
The rider was rash speeding when he overtook the 220, no doubt, but the i20 almost intentionally took down this guy, the way it switched three lanes without any indication whatsoever.
If you look at the place of this incident, you will see many vehicles suddenly changing lanes and moving towards the left side and then again towards right side. Issue is not with the driver but with the flawed design of road. This was location of erstwhile Sarhol Toll Plaza on NH8 (NH48 now) bordering Delhi-Gurgaon.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20211119083757.jpg
White is the width of road just before entering Gurgaon and Yellow is when the road enters Gurgaon. Mind you, Gurgaon has 4 lanes but Delhi side (White) was location of toll plaza hence width is too much. The blue arrow depicts the entry towards Ambience Mall. Red colour is depiction of road width. So a vehicle coming in from Delhi side with speed limit of 70kmph is entering Haryana with speed limit of 80kmph and is accelerating along a S shaped curve. The person suddenly sees concrete barricades in front of his vehicle and tries to get back into the designated direction. It almost leads to everyone overcorrecting. The lane markings don't help as they take you straight into the divider barricades. Why do I say this, because I've myself faced this issue of overcorrecting due to sudden appearance of the barricades. It's a dangerous place to be for outstation drivers not well versed with that location.

If you look at the slow motion video, it appears to be an overcorrection input rather than a deliberate attempt to hit the biker.
BoneCollector is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks