Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2021, 12:22   #34306
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
So many bystanders and no one is bothered to switch on the hazard lights on their cars? Or is it that people use it only when they're taking the straight road at crossroads? The traffic rules should be taught during school and college.
Agree with you on this, but as you can see from the video, a few patrol on the left shoulder(infact the first Scorpio itself had both it's hazard and that amber flasher on the roof on) had their hazards on but the fog was too thick and they weren't really visible until I was about 50-100m from these said vehicles. It wouldn't have been of much help anyways in these conditions, but yes, that's no excuse to break basic road etiquettes either.

If it weren't for the people who flagged us down in time, we would have seen a much more intense crash. Also good sense prevailed and everyone around me were also driving below the speed limit..I was at about 70kmph when I first saw those chaps and slowed down, god bless them!!

Last edited by MotoBlip : 30th December 2021 at 12:34.
MotoBlip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 12:28   #34307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Rajnikanth style unloading by tipper truck
Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 1433
Size:  418.5 KB

The real Rajnikanth should be the guy who trying to hold the front left wheel to stop the truck from toppling

Last edited by myavu : 30th December 2021 at 12:30.
myavu is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 13:46   #34308
Senior - BHPian

As per a tweet by Devaraj Hirehalli Bhyraiah, :
Fog Causes a serial accident involving over 18 vehicles somewhere near Nelamangala, Bangalore. Over twenty people sustained severe injuries and fractures.
video in the tweet link below

https://twitter.com/swaraj76/status/1476426728322920449

Another video in this tweet
https://twitter.com/KeypadGuerilla/s...51539992469508

can anyone confirm the exact location? Looks really bad.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 30th December 2021 at 13:49.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 14:25   #34309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
As per a tweet by Devaraj Hirehalli Bhyraiah, :
Fog Causes a serial accident involving over 18 vehicles somewhere near Nelamangala, Bangalore. Over twenty people sustained severe injuries and fractures.
Correction: Inappropriate speed and tailgating in low visibility conditions due to fog causes a serial accident ...
KiloAlpha is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 10:13   #34310
anb
BHPian

Racing between an i20 and i10 Nios resulted in 3 car collision including an innocent Wagon R in Rajbagh, Srinagar yesterday. Two people were injured.
anb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 10:14   #34311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fog Causes a serial accident involving over 18 vehicles somewhere near Nelamangala, Bangalore.... can anyone confirm the exact location?

More details in the ToI news report
Old 31st December 2021, 13:23   #34312
Senior - BHPian

A car, I suppose a grand i10 is pushed off the road by a SUV attempting to overtake another vehicle in the opposite direction. The driver loses control and bangs into another car following the SUV.
Did the driver of the grand i10 panic too early which caused him to veer off the road? This also shows how important it is to have properly leveled road shoulders on highways.

Credits to the original uploader on Youtube - Cyberabad Traffic Police.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 31st December 2021 at 13:26.
sandsun7 is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 13:52   #34313
BHPian

Quote:
Did the driver of the grand i10 panic too early which caused him to veer off the road? This also shows how important it is to have properly leveled road shoulders on highways.
Before I say anything, first I would like to appreciate the Cyberabad Traffic Police channel for bringing out such videos. But in many cases, it looks like they have a someone who lacks common sense doing a break-down analysis on some of these videos.

I believe this has NOTHING to do with the Hexa trying to overtake. The clause that they quoted is totally irrelevant and they have mindlessly put the blame on the "bigger vehicle" here (?).

The road has broken white lines which means overtaking is allowed and vehicles are allowed to cross the white line if they feel safe to do so. At least from the angle of this video, it seems the i10 was quite far behind and the Hexa slows down, suspends the overtake manoeuver and moves back into the lane well before the i10 is anywhere in the frame. One may argue that the Hexa is still over the line, however it is not impeding the oncoming traffic which in this case was an i10.

I feel the i10 panicked and went off into the "shoulder" (or lack of it), too fast, unnecessarily and then decided to come back up without slowing down. If anything this just highlights how defensive driving skills are not taught and how road design in India is a joke. Also, the importance of having ESC although not sure to what extent it would've helped here.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 31st December 2021 at 14:07.
krishnakumar is offline   (70) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 16:24   #34314
Distinguished - BHPian

Plainly the Hexa is overtaking in the face of oncoming traffic. Does the guy think he's driving a bus ?
Quote:
Did the driver of the grand i10 panic too early which caused him to veer off the road?
Overcorrection leading to worse overcorrection. I remember nearly doing this once.

A moment of sheer carelessness, at ordinary speed on a London road, caused me to just touch the kerb. That didn't scare me, but my correction did. There was no danger to or from other traffic, and I don't think I even crossed the line, but what might have happened scared me and made me pay better attention in future.

Once we get into that pendulum-swing thing, it's hard to get out. Especially as everything is happening in moments.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 16:45   #34315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
I believe this has NOTHING to do with the Hexa trying to overtake. The clause that they quoted is totally irrelevant and they have mindlessly put the blame on the "bigger vehicle" here (?).
That looks like a TATA Aria but yes it seems the i10 driver didn't really slow down and the non existent shoulder on the road caused him to loose control once his left hand side tyres hit the road again.

Not to forget the auto driver who is enjoying the road at his own (or rather the Autos slow pace) prompting vehicles behind him to attempt dangerous overtakes.
JithinR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 21:10   #34316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Regarding the BMW/Swift incident - this happens when everyone tries to squeeze in a small lane all at once with a "me too" mentality.

There are only 2 lanes, for 2 cars, but people squeeze in 4 cars leaving no margin at all!

See Pic - This is how i place my vehicle whenever possible.

Dont place your car on the extreme right or left. Place it in the lane that is meant for you , such that the car behind you cannot steal the lane from either side. In fact this has helped reduce bottlenecks sometimes.
As venkyhere explained previously, I also don't think you can drive like that in our conditions. In Delhi, its certain that 2 wheelers will creep up to your right and to your left, you will probably have 2 cars there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Also, I faced similar things on roads. Bigger and stronger cars drive recklessly in NCR (at least in Gurgaon). And they would bully smaller cars or peace loving drivers always. Monday night I was driving in KMP and DL/ HR cars kept on blinking their projector LED or whatever XYZ string lightbeam headlamps despite of the fact I was driving in the middle lane at a comfortable 70-80 kmph speed and acres of free space were available on both sides.
At least you were doing 70 KMPH... I have faced cars in Dwarka who blink away to glory even if they see a red light with cars standing ahead (i.e. they cannot run the red light). What do they get by blasting away only to stop at the traffic signal ahead and repeating the same thing again and again is something I probably will never understand.. And I have seen all types of cars doing this, from SUVs to hatchbacks and sedans as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't think anyone has commented on this, but I find it disgusting that the owner of such a BMW would give Rs.1,000 in such a case. That probably hurt him as much as giving Rs10 to a beggar. Even if the principle is to repay the loss of NCB, it is still nothing. NCBs take several years of higher premiums to recover.

Many of us know very well how much it costs to repaint a panel. Yes, there are cheaper tinkers and painters shops than I have used, but if there was a 45% chance of that being my fault, I would offer, or be prepared to be bargained up to, around 10k.

If the guy is in business, his time alone, spent trying not to pay anything, might have cost him more.

Actually, the police told me to name a price what I thought to be fair, but I have not claimed insurance in 6+ years, so I really did not know what to say to him I did not want anyone to think that I was trying to profit from the situation, and I was also relieved that there were no dent, so I didn't name a higher figure (The last time I claimed insurance, it was a dent and repaint of the right fender and it probably cost less than 1k from my pocket). I really would not have gone through all this trouble if he admitted to his fault, but he brazenly kept on insisting that he was not at fault. Only after the officer at the police station spoke to him, he owned up. And I agree, I found his behavior very unbecoming for a BMW owner... not sure if it was his car in the first place, as the police took lots of photographs but did not check any documents like driving license, RC etc.
avi_swift is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 07:58   #34317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't think anyone has commented on this, but I find it disgusting that the owner of such a BMW would give Rs.1,000 in such a case. That probably hurt him as much as giving Rs10 to a beggar. Even if the principle is to repay the loss of NCB, it is still nothing. NCBs take several years of higher premiums to recover.

Many of us know very well how much it costs to repaint a panel. Yes, there are cheaper tinkers and painters shops than I have used, but if there was a 45% chance of that being my fault, I would offer, or be prepared to be bargained up to, around 10k.

If the guy is in business, his time alone, spent trying not to pay anything, might have cost him more.

Why should the bmw owner pay anything? If the OP wanted to follow the rules, he should have filed a police complaint and kept his car in the police station as per the law. This idea of trying to extract money is frankly illegal. No matter who hits whom, the owner of each vehicle is expected to repair from his insurance, thats why insurance is bought. Trying to extract a no claim bonus from the other party is wrong.
In traffic it's very difficult to point out who is at fault, especially in crawling traffic. The OP could have been moving slightly right (without noticing), the bmw may be moving slightly left and rubbed into OP's car.
Regarding a NCB, if a coconut falls on your parked car windshield and breaks it, will you ask the coconut tree owner to pay for your damages? Or claim it from your insurance? Will the tree owner pay for your NCB?
And who are we to judge if Rs 1000 is chump change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Before I say anything, first I would like to appreciate the Cyberabad Traffic Police channel for bringing out such videos. But in many cases, it looks like they have a someone who lacks common sense doing a break-down analysis on some of these videos.

The road has broken white lines which means overtaking is allowed and vehicles are allowed to cross the white line if they feel safe to do so. At least from the angle of this video, it seems the i10 was quite far behind and the Hexa slows down, suspends the overtake manoeuver and moves back into the lane well before the i10 is anywhere in the frame. One may argue that the Hexa is still over the line, however it is not impeding the oncoming traffic which in this case was an i10.

I feel the i10 panicked and went off into the "shoulder" (or lack of it), too fast, unnecessarily and then decided to come back up without slowing down. If anything this just highlights how defensive driving skills are not taught and how road design in India is a joke. Also, the importance of having ESC although not sure to what extent it would've helped here.
Cyberabad police is absolutely right. You can't bully your way and force people off the road. A divided white line means you can overtake, it doesn't mean you force the opposite side drivers off the road in your eagerness to overtake. 99% of Indian drivers are donkeys. The way they overtake (constant speed, same gear, slow pass) will lead to accidents like this, most of them don't understand that they need to floor the pedal, change to a lower gear and finish the overtake in the least time possible. If your antics don't cause others to slow down, brake, flash or honk, then you are driving right.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st January 2022 at 12:03. Reason: Back to back posts merged
AirbusCapt is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 10:14   #34318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The driver loses control and bangs into another car following the SUV.
Did the driver of the grand i10 panic too early which caused him to veer off the road?
The i10 was being driven too fast for those conditions. The driver attempted to get clear of the SUV without losing speed. But did not expect what might happen when someone tries to get the rear left wheel back on the road - at that speed, with that much height difference between the paved and unpaved road. Then panic took over.
adisan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 11:49   #34319
BHPian

The i10 is being victimized whereas the actual victim here is the car that the i10 bangs into - he was at no fault and was well within his lane.
railfanwithk750 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 11:50   #34320
BHPian

Quote:
Although I agree with fellow members to an extent that i10 driver overreacted there . i10 was doing pretty good speed and did not slow down enough to avoid this mishap.

I also want to add a point where certain scenarios looks okay in a video but looks very close in reality . From my experience, when I look at my dashcam footage of certain events which I thought was very close in real life ,it looked not so severe in video . Hexa also should be blamed here, since it returns to its lane only after i10 has crossed it .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks