Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2022, 18:05   #34351
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
That's a dangerous approach. See the Kwid in this video. It moved right and resulted in massive accident

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=BqbNGz3hAJ8
Either the Kwid driver was napping OR its sheer arrogance of not giving way/move a aside a bit. Though the Bolero driver was at fault to over-take at a solid white lane, I dont see anything morally wrong from him. This is a very very normal and common scenario. The bigger headache now is for that truck driver. He will loose his wages/time for few days as he will also be at the station along with bolero and kwid. Unnecessary waste of time, money and energy for him

Last edited by funkykar : 4th January 2022 at 18:06.
funkykar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 19:02   #34352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Either the Kwid driver was napping OR its sheer arrogance of not giving way/move a aside a bit. Though the Bolero driver was at fault to over-take at a solid white lane, I dont see anything morally wrong from him. This is a very very normal and common scenario. The bigger headache now is for that truck driver. He will loose his wages/time for few days as he will also be at the station along with bolero and kwid. Unnecessary waste of time, money and energy for him
You are defending a dangerous overtaking maneuver with complete disregard to safety. The Bolero is completely at fault. There was way too little space to overtake due to the oncoming traffic and yet the Bolero truck disregarded that and plunged in. Of course the Kwid could have stopped or moved out of the way for its safety but that doesn’t absolve the overtaking vehicle of fault.
Lobogris is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 19:19   #34353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
The Bolero is completely at fault. There was way too little space to overtake due to the oncoming traffic and yet the Bolero truck disregarded that and plunged in.
I agree, just because Bolero driver is trying to do a dangerous overtaking, the Kwid driver doesn't have an obligation to give way to the Bolero and we can't blame the Kwid driver for staying within his lane. That solid white line is there for a purpose, although many in India don't give any importance to such road signs. Half of the Bolero was on the opposite lane at the time of the accident. The Kwid could have swerved left to avoid the accident but he is not legally bound to do so.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc1.jpg  

airbus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 20:09   #34354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBlip View Post
...has a very interesting approach to such situations...
Very interesting indeed..!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_driving

Link may be an interesting read I guess.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 20:22   #34355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
That's a dangerous approach. See the Kwid in this video. It moved right and resulted in massive accident
Seems the Kwid driver was distracted by something ? How hard it is to notice oncoming vehicle ? Or did he fail to judge the overtake by Bolero ? Hope the driver is okay though
Akshay6988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 20:37   #34356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
You are defending a dangerous overtaking maneuver with complete disregard to safety. The Bolero is completely at fault. There was way too little space to overtake due to the oncoming traffic and yet the Bolero truck disregarded that and plunged in. Of course the Kwid could have stopped or moved out of the way for its safety but that doesn’t absolve the overtaking vehicle of fault.
No one is defending the bolero's action. But once he had already committed and execution completed over 50%, it was only Kwid's actions that could save each other. It is an extremely common scenario everyone faces many times on such roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
The Kwid could have swerved left to avoid the accident but he is not legally bound to do so.
Legally bound to? Better sense was all that was required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Seems the Kwid driver was distracted by something ? How hard it is to notice oncoming vehicle ? Or did he fail to judge the overtake by Bolero ? Hope the driver is okay though
I felt this too! Forget teaching a lesson etc. Our reflexes and muscle memory automatically gives way. Here, absolutely no reaction. Likely he was texting or distracted by something else.

Last edited by funkykar : 4th January 2022 at 20:39.
funkykar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 22:26   #34357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Kwid could have swerved left to avoid the accident but he is not legally bound to do so.
He didn't have to swerve. Just sticking to where he was would have saved the day, instead of bringing his ego in and taking the Bolero head on. See how the other Bolero that went in front of the Kwid gave way and passed through.

Like said by many, these are common scenarios on Indian roads. Mutual agreements, give/take goes a long way than idle scenarios, western disciplines and legal factors.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 4th January 2022 at 22:29.
balenoed_ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 08:37   #34358
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
I agree, just because Bolero driver is trying to do a dangerous overtaking, the Kwid driver doesn't have an obligation to give way to the Bolero and we can't blame the Kwid driver for staying within his lane. That solid white line is there for a purpose, although many in India don't give any importance to such road signs. Half of the Bolero was on the opposite lane at the time of the accident. The Kwid could have swerved left to avoid the accident but he is not legally bound to do so.
Yes, he can argue about his 'not obliged in any way' or 'not legally bound' from heaven. As a human being, the first instinct has to be to protect oneself, if someone doesn't do it, it's because he is (a) suicidal (b) intoxicated (c) bloated ego has washed away common sense. And the video clearly shows it's one of a,b,c
We BHPians have to get off this 'as you sow so shall you reap' horse. It doesn't apply to roads, particularly indian roads - the suffering from accidents is not 'in-proportion' to the contribution towards the root cause of it. The smaller/weaker vehicle suffers. The end. So if you are in a smaller/weaker vehicle, better teach yourself to swallow your ego and play chicken, because your life depends on it. Your family depends on you being alive.
venkyhere is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 09:00   #34359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Kwid driver doesn't have an obligation to give way to the Bolero...Kwid could have swerved left to avoid the accident but he is not legally bound to do so.
All this would matter only if Kwiddie is alive. Hopefully he is. It was like attempting to suicide to prove he is right, and then what aftwerwards!
Old 5th January 2022, 09:04   #34360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This one cracked me up, really. Sorry.

He had to swerve left to avoid death. Legalities are of not much use if you are in heaven right?

Poor driving by the Kwid driver. As Thad recently said, it is always the driver (there are exceptions obviously).

EDIT: If legality/obligation etc. is the priority here, every car in India would be running over hundreds of jay walkers everyday, no?

Last edited by Pancham : 5th January 2022 at 09:06.
Pancham is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 10:40   #34361
BHPian

Three teens killed as bike rams into tree in Thiruvananthapuram.

Quote:
Three Plus One students traveling on the same bike lost control of their vehicle and crashed into a tree on the roadside, killing them. The accident took place near Vazhayala Pathayam supermarket at 4.30 pm yesterday.
Quote:
The deceased have been identified as Stephen Vinod (17), son of Vinod Babu and Shiny, of Vazhayala Puravoorkonam Hilltop Garden, Bineesh (17), son of Shibu and Simi of Ajeesh Bhavan, Kalathukal, Aruvikkara, and Siddharth (17), son of Shibu and Bindu of Peroorkada Karukonam, Kulathumkara.
Link, Link

Three children lost their lives here. I really cant imagine the mindset of the parents who let their underage kids drive/ride. I have relatives who happily let their 15-16 year olds ride to town. I have brought this topic up many times, yet the standard response always is "my son is a careful rider, he wont get into accidents". Until they do.
GeneralJazz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 12:14   #34362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Correction: Underage rider rams over-speeding bike into tree

Hope the owner of the bike is prosecuted for handing over bike to underage rider. No sympathy for parents who encourage such activities.

Last edited by airbus : 5th January 2022 at 12:30.
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 13:13   #34363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post

[I really cant imagine the mindset of the parents who let their underage kids drive/ride. I have relatives who happily let their 15-16 year olds ride to town. I have brought this topic up many times, yet the standard response always is "my son is a careful rider, he wont get into accidents". Until they do.
Quote:
Correction: Underage rider rams over-speeding bike into tree

Hope the owner of the bike is prosecuted for handing over bike to underage rider. No sympathy for parents who encourage such activities.
As per news report in today's paper, bike was owned another friend and when he saw that his bike was taken, he called one of the deceased and asked him to bring back the bike immediately. News report also speculates that they were speeding to return the bike.

Just sad stuff to read in the morning. They were 17yr olds if i remember correctly.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 14:43   #34364
BHPian

Quote:
Sadly in our country the roads are a law unto themselves. Bigger vehicles often bully the hell out of smaller vehicles. Just today I almost got driven off the road for driving slowly around a potholed stretch. There was construction gravel and clayey soil to add to the dangerous condition. But still a bolero comercial vehicle and an MTC bus wanted to plough on regardless and saw me as a nuisance to their "stunts" . Maybe these things might reduce if the government can mandate use of cameras and Insurance companies hike premium exorbitantly for errant drivers

Last edited by venbas : 6th January 2022 at 14:44. Reason: Typos
Old 6th January 2022, 17:58   #34365
BHPian

Saw this on my recent trip to Goa from HYD. This was on my way back to Hyderabad. Don’t know what happened and how this happened. But sad to see a car this badly bashed. I am not very surprised as everyone drives like a maniac. While overtaking they will flash their lights at you and expect you to slow down. It’s like a game. The one who flashes their headlights first has right of way
I was travelling with other family so always slowed down. Better to be safe than sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3515923267b54ac0b550d581a78a5bc6.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-63d31b2b6f894afb8dd1f4370ace64fd.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-9313a9b7fb614aeab89206c8145c0bc9.jpeg  

bigben is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks