Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2022, 18:10   #34366
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Saw this on my recent trip to Goa from HYD. This was on my way back to Hyderabad. Don’t know what happened and how this happened. But sad to see a car this badly bashed. I am not very surprised as everyone drives like a maniac. While overtaking they will flash their lights at you and expect you to slow down. It’s like a game. The one who flashes their headlights first has right of way
I was travelling with other family so always slowed down. Better to be safe than sorry.
Why was the car wreck parked on the road? Shouldn't it be on the side?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th January 2022 at 22:38. Reason: typo: wreck
Old 6th January 2022, 19:23   #34367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Though the Bolero driver was at fault to over-take at a solid white lane, I dont see anything morally wrong from him. This is a very very normal and common scenario.
I have to respectfully disagree with you, if we normalize stuff like this only because people do it, then it's easy to justify all "breaking lane discipline rules" - people driving on wrong side of road to save U-turn or this dangerous overtake.

The problem with these type of dangerous overtaking maneuver are, "I am doing this can you please adjust" attitude, I have seen car taking 4ft drop into canal just because of these overtakes - trying to save some car/bike which crossed lane while doing overtake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
You are defending a dangerous overtaking maneuver with complete disregard to safety. The Bolero is completely at fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
we can't blame the Kwid driver for staying within his lane. That solid white line is there for a purpose, although many in India don't give any importance to such road signs. Half of the Bolero was on the opposite lane at the time of the accident. The Kwid could have swerved left to avoid the accident but he is not legally bound to do so.
Agree with both of you.

I noticed few more issue, It seems bolero was overtaking on turn -

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20220106-7.04.44-pm.png

I do believe both of them tried to avert this but speed was too much, check tyre direction -

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20220106-7.16.38-pm.png
mytbhp_turbo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 19:38   #34368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbhp_turbo View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with you, if we normalize stuff like this only because people do it, then it's easy to justify all "breaking lane discipline rules" - people driving on wrong side of road to save U-turn or this dangerous overtake.

The problem with these type of dangerous overtaking maneuver are, "I am doing this can you please adjust" attitude, I have seen car taking 4ft drop into canal just because of these overtakes - trying to save some car/bike which crossed lane while doing overtake.
You are not getting the point. You teaching a wrongdoer is fine. But you don't put yourself, your family, and your car in danger just because you are right and the other person is wrong. Once again, India is full of this day-to-day. If you have to survive, you have to anticipate, adapt and stay safe. You have to first accept the reality, then try to change. If one resists like this and looses life, whose loss?
funkykar is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 19:43   #34369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
You are not getting the point. You teaching a wrongdoer is fine. But you don't put yourself, your family, and your car in danger just because you are right and the other person is wrong. Once again, India is full of this day-to-day. If you have to survive, you have to anticipate, adapt and stay safe. You have to first accept the reality, then try to change. If one resists like this and looses life, whose loss?
In all probabilities more than the Kwid driver being a rebel it surely looks like a distraction or something else that made him collide.

In reality, we have seen many such instances where our normal reflexes work in a way that we steer away to avoid such a collision. Sadly we didn't see that and if the Kwid driver assumed that the Bolero would sneak in quick or for that matter brake and get back to its lane after completing more than 50% of that overtaking maneuver, I pity his foolishness in putting so many lives at stake by doing so.

We can talk about rules all day but think of this situation where the Kwid driver certainly had everything in his control to make a decision to avoid this collision.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 21:42   #34370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Why was the car wreck parked on the road? Shouldn't it be on the side?
you are right it should be on the side. Must have happened a few hours before we drove by.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th January 2022 at 22:38. Reason: quoted post edited
Old 7th January 2022, 11:13   #34371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
These videos only show the attitude of people, you are an Idiot, and I will be a bigger idiot because if this leads to an accident it will not be my fault.

If you see the court verdict history of accidents, and these cases do go to court, the Hyderabad accident will end up with the I20 being charged with loosing control crossing the median and hitting the oncoming car which went down.
In the bolero vs Kwid accident, the Bolero driver will be charged with rash and dangerous driving, crossing the continuous white line, and few other charges, but the Kwid driver will also be charged with NOT ATTEMPTING TO AVOID AN UNAVOIDABLE ACCIDENT, which is also a crime. The other Bolero ahead of it which moved to the LH and gave space is proof enough that the Kwid driver could also do the same.

I have been driving for the last 30 years, and I used to do about 50K km a year which has reduced to half now. I have covered over 11 Lakh km till date, and in the period have to save myself at least 50 times an year, from idiots and also from people who have misjudged overtakes. I have had faced mechanical failures where I have managed to save myself.
There are 5-6 incidents where I have misjudged and others have saved me, and two accidents one where I could not save the idiot, and second where I had mechanical failure.

Few things I have realized is that people loose their temper from Friday afternoon to Monday morning, rest of the week has lesser incidents, local trucks carrying vegetables, sand, bricks etc are majorly idiots and will not care about you. Long distance trucks will stick to RH lane when a two wheeler rickshaw etc is visible to them even if it is a km ahead they do not want to change to LH lane and again to RH lane within a minute, just flash your light once, and they will indicate to you when it is safe to overtake, honking irritates them.

Lastly even if you are not wrong, an accident hurts you, and the time, money, and pain is not worth getting into one if you can avoid it.
If you do not attempt to avoid an idiot you only prove yourself a bigger idiot.

Rahul

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 11:57   #34372
Senior - BHPian

We need to keep few things in mind while driving anywhere in India.

1. Right of way is an alien concept here.
2. Indicators are for show and most people have amnesia giving them.
3. Even if a vehicle is coming on wrong side giving long bursts of led dippers make that perfectly acceptable.
4. In case of an accident bigger vehicle is always at fault irrespective of actual circumstances.
5. The sole purpose of big SUV's, trucks, buses etc are to bully peacefully driven smaller cars.
6. Autos always have to drive in main or middle lane at the speed of 30 blocking as much road as they can and they are immune to honking. Sometimes they also do a unison and do this in pairs just for fun.
7. Bikes/scooters are the busiest guys on planet. They have to squeeze in every tiny gap without bothering how many scratches or dents they give to other vehicles in the process. What bothers me the most is rash driving with wife and kids on a bike. Can't even understand the thought process of such a person.
8. Parking anywhere is our birthright. Doesn't matter if it blocks the whole road or results in a big jam.
9. People will buy a 50+ lac car with all latest gadgets. But, will still be seen driving at a snails pace in main lane with a mobile phone on their ear or even chatting on WhatsApp. I believe Bluetooth has been there in cars since ages but there use is same like indicators for these educated illiterates.

There are many more but the underlying point remains. Our only goal should be to start from point A and to reach point B without any harm to ourselves and others. For that we have to forget the Ego even if we are right and just shrug it off. Road rage or educating such idiots is not worth our time and energy.
harry10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 10:19   #34373
anb
BHPian

This accident happened in Thrissur-Palakad highway. A scooter came into high speed lane without checking rear view mirror causing an accident. The rear indicator of the scooter is not working, I guess.

anb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 10:45   #34374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This accident happened in Thrissur-Palakad highway. A scooter came into high speed lane without checking rear view mirror causing an accident. The rear indicator of the scooter is not working, I guess.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=fmyWAfH4Eo0
No sympathy for such guys.
They give indicator ( which wasn't working) and without looking for a clean road just go ahead with their turn. Thankfully car slowed down and it was just a nudge rather than full blown hit.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 10:53   #34375
Senior - BHPian

4 techies were killed in NICE Road pile-up.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo.jpg

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/88764290.cms

Quote:
BENGALURU: Four software professionals were killed after their car was hit by a a speeding truck, leading to a pile up on NICE road, around 10:30 pm on friday.

The victims – two men and two women, all from Bommanahalli and in their 30s were on their way to Kengeri when the TN registered truck hit their Maruti Wagon R from behind.
Just yesterday we spoke about NICE road being fastag enabled finally.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 8th January 2022 at 10:55.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 11:53   #34376
BHPian

Quote:
Despite being the most vulnerable group, I do not understand why the two-wheelers cannot be careful - no checking of rear-view mirrors (most of them do not have mirrors), non-functioning indicators (most don't even bother), abrupt lane changes, etc. A simple fall can scar for life.
Even in this case, the indicator was turned on for the sake of it without even checking the vehicle behind.
Meph1st0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 12:41   #34377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
The Kwid could have swerved left to avoid the accident but he is not legally bound to do so.
If I had done only what I was legally bound to during two decades of driving, I would be resting in my graveyard.

And epitaph would read, "He was legally right but, alas!"
Gotham_City is online now   (30) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 13:20   #34378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
If I had done only what I was legally bound to during two decades of driving, I would be resting in my graveyard.

And epitaph would read, "He was legally right but, alas!"
Totally agree. India population may have been less than half of what it is today if everyone were to think and execute themselves that way
funkykar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 13:41   #34379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
Despite being the most vulnerable group, I do not understand why the two-wheelers cannot be careful - no checking of rear-view mirrors (most of them do not have mirrors), non-functioning indicators (most don't even bother), abrupt lane changes, etc. A simple fall can scar for life.
Even in this case, the indicator was turned on for the sake of it without even checking the vehicle behind.
In most of the cases the owner himself is unaware that the rear/front indicators including the brake lights are nonfunctional.

I have seen many cases where the front lights are working, but the backlights are not.

I believe having LED light assembly at back can solve this issue of the entire unit going kaput.

Also this is too much to ask for but it is high time we provide and indicator in dashboard, if any critical lighting systems conks off.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 14:27   #34380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
4 techies were killed in NICE Road pile-up..
Yeah, this was quite bad. I live near the NICE Road and heard a lot of Ambulances and traffic jams till late at night.

Very unfortunate. That particular stretch of road in Single lane at times due to some repairs and cars usually take the left more lane (bike/service lane) to overtake.

Infrastructure in Bengaluru seems to be crumbling, Hosa Road being another example. Tax money going down the drains and to development projects elsewhere in India.

Most Viewed