Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2022, 17:04   #35686
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The front passenger was not wearing seat belt and his/her head has banged very hard against the windshield cracking it like that. Hope the occupant is ok.
That crack could be due to explosive passenger airbag deployment. I've seen it in a few cars even when passenger was not there. The crack is way down the windshield and someone getting their head to that level while the airbag is getting deployed looks like kind of impossible.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 24th July 2022 at 17:30.
BoneCollector is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 18:41   #35687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
You tubers have created a mess on the road by trying to create content. Have seen a similar video yesterday where a Youtuber was testing the brakes of an XUV700, on the road, behind a truck!
Searched it back from my library to share it here.

I don't have words for these you tubers. Somebody teach them some sense. If a Youtuber who creates similar videos is seeing this, please don't endanger others on the road.

One hand car driver, whose fortuner is totalled, please buy some good gear, go pro and fixed cameras. You are endangering others for your content.
At the risk of sounding elitist and slightly OT, I must say that cheap internet content availability is spoiling an entire generation of 10+ year olds in India. A lot of youth and some adults are just whiling their time away browsing meaningless content, uploading videos for instant fame or worse, creating a social disturbance by spreading misinformation. I think if YouTube and its equivalent become a paid service, along with other social media, people will be a bit more focused and productive and there will be a bit more peace in the society.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 24th July 2022 at 18:42.
fhdowntheline is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 21:48   #35688
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The front passenger was not wearing seat belt and his/her head has banged very hard against the windshield cracking it like that.
To my best knowledge, he was driving solo.
Old 25th July 2022, 10:49   #35689
Senior - BHPian

Received it on whatsapp and it happened at Khar Danda, Mumbai 23/7/22. Miraculously no casualties as per the news report especially looking at the condition of the Ertiga and maybe only the sole occupant was the driver.Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2572acc915c2404881c3730c5d0fc56f.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-d5012480a89d4030b56fe5fde7a81838.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1e64eeecc50e46faaf5851f21c5419f1.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-35c79111c769460eabb6c5ddbbe3ef9e.jpeg

SnS_12 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 16:11   #35690
BHPian

Great presence of mind shown by the truck driver. Saved many.

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 16:34   #35691
Distinguished - BHPian

A different kind of accident caught on my car's dash cam! When I saw these three guys coming side by side, I slowed down much before & then this happened! Thankfully the guy was fine, he got up on his own.

Samba is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 16:41   #35692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
A different kind of accident caught on my car's dash cam! When I saw these three guys coming side by side, I slowed down much before & then this happened! Thankfully the guy was fine, he got up on his own.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=sJQJ4NL_1f8
Even your windshield couldn't hold back her tears on seeing him fall.
Watch again, keeping the windshield's perspective in mind.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 25th July 2022 at 16:43.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 17:49   #35693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Karnataka cops killed in road accident near Tirupati.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/93092341.cms
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-123.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1234.jpeg

Quite sad and looks to have crashed in insane speeds. I traveled in this very stretch yesterday and the roads are too good and that you can simply get carried away if you do not hold yourselves back. Except there is this small portion in the stretch where the main road is closed and gets diverted to a lane beside. The crash site is the abandoned road and underpass. Guess they were in quite some speeds and lost control when encountered with this small stretch where you need to slow down.

Snippet of that stretch from my dash below. The car in the said accident must have come from the opposite side and crashed under that abandoned underpass (on the right side in the video). Look how the road which was good suddenly becomes patchy and slower.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 25th July 2022 at 18:05.
balenoed_ is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 08:28   #35694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
I thank Team BHP for waking me up, without a shame I need to admit I was riding my kid without a helmet all this while thinking I ride safe and it's only within my locality i ride my Jupiter, so not required!! But the truth is, idiots are everywhere, even if you ride safe but you are at equal risk of an unsafe rider. So I got a helmet for my kid today and I will ensure even if it's my regular 1 or 2 km trip with my daughter, she wears it. I thank once again this wonderful forum for making me realize my mistakes
Thank you for getting a helmet for your child. "I'm just going around the corner" is often the most famous line said before an accident.

In October 1985, I was posted in Chennai for a brief while, a colleague's brother, then about 30 years old, was injured in the neck in an accident involving his Enfield bike and a truck literally 25 to 30 metres outside his building gate. He was paralyzed neck down for life and much later passed away after causing incalculable grief and burden to both himself and his family. This was in a locality called KK Nagar. Helmets were compulsory in those days in Chennai. He was literally going to a grocery store 300 metres away, took his bike, did not wear a helmet thinking "I'm just going around the corner", swung his bike fast to the left as he exited the building gate, got into the slipstream of the morning traffic, did not notice the truck coming from his right and that was that.

In Indian traffic conditions we are always unsafe, especially on a 2-wheeler, not because we drive rashly but because millions around us do.

Water, fire and Indian traffic become dangerous when we forget they are water, fire and Indian traffic.
V.Narayan is offline   (71) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 09:36   #35695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
riding my kid without a helmet, and it's only within my locality I ride my Jupiter
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
He was literally going to a grocery store 300 metres away, took his bike, did not wear a helmet, thinking, "I'm just going around the corner"
Narrating an incident here from 2003 in Surat - this colleague of mine had gone on his Hero Honda CD100SS to a store just three buildings away. No helmet on. A speeding Qualis hit him (not sure if it was the colleague's fault or the Qualis'), he was thrown up, came down head first and hit concrete paving. Two passersby rushed him to the hospital in the same Qualis, and by the time information was received at his place (approx 2 hours later), the medical staff at the hospital and the scan centre said he had no chance. He underwent surgery and came out of it, but the path to recovery was long. I remember when I used to visit the hospital to take him around when he was convalescing, he'd suddenly throw a fit, and when I used to walk him, he'd try to bite my shoulder etc.

He used to work as a plant engineer, and it wasn't until five years later that he went back to regular ops. The day this incident happened was his wedding anniversary - the sight of his wife and two small daughters that day is something I will never forget.

Until that day, my wife and I had skipped putting on a helmet when riding our then TVS Scooty (the light two-stroke one), although I would use a helmet riding a Bajaj Super or any of those bigger two-wheelers. Post that, the helmet has always been on - Scooty or Suzuki. Since that incident, My wife, kid, and I never ride a scooter without the helmet on. Later, while in Chennai, people would look amusingly at my wife and kid both donning helmets and be equally amused looking at them.

Last edited by navin : 27th July 2022 at 16:09. Reason: spelling and grammar
vigsom is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 11:24   #35696
BHPian

Another case of car wreck while performing stunts for Youtube/Instagram/Facebook/Snapchat likes

[ANI] HP: A video went viral showing a car jumping over a divider & colliding with railing on NH-5 in Solan; a resident from Amritsar tried performing stunts while rash driving. Vehicle damaged but driver safe. Case filed u/s 279 of IPC in Dharampur PS: Solan Police (25.07)

Source:

https://twitter.com/ANI/status/15517...lJ_WrRSKgSaUTw
WhiteSierra is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 16:41   #35697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
At the risk of sounding elitist and slightly OT, I must say that cheap internet content availability is spoiling an entire generation of 10+ year olds in India. A lot of youth and some adults are just whiling their time away browsing meaningless content, uploading videos for instant fame or worse, creating a social disturbance by spreading misinformation. I think if YouTube and its equivalent become a paid service, along with other social media, people will be a bit more focused and productive and there will be a bit more peace in the society.
Totally agree with what you are saying here. I've seen a video that he has posted recently, he says a cow is what he hit. Most likely the cause would be distractions caused by holding camera and shooting with it while driving. I'm sure he may have done some damage already by inspiring some of the large number of his viewers.
Looks like he has not shown all the details in the YT video and kept it for next episode that will be well dramatized and more popular again. I wish people take this in right sense and learn from such episodes, going little extreme, some strict action by authorities and highlighting such instances (without getting personal details out) can save some lives in future.
Ketan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 17:41   #35698
BHPian

Regarding the Udupi ambulance accident, it seems the decision to Brake or Swerve could have had a different better outcome.

If the Udupi incident is simulated on a dry test track minus all the obstacles (toll booth, barricade, booth staff, the cow) and the ambulance is made to drive in exactly the same way it did that day, I believe the vehicle will go out of control every time the evasive manoeuvre is attempted.

Not sure if any of the vehicles used in India as an ambulance would clear the Evasive Manoeuvre Test, especially at the speeds which they are driven on the road which usually is way over the speed limit of 70 - 80 kmph at which the test is administered.

The way ambulances are driven over speeding, jumping signals many more accidents are awaiting to happen. Most people cooperate and give way to ambulances, but end of the day it’s a public road subject to human error. Thus the questions which arise:
- Are these vehicles safe and better configured than the non ambulance versions
- Should the ambulance version be subjected to safety tests
- If safer ambulance are cost sensitive then would speed governors make sense. What is the point if in the attempt to save a life, many are lost or injured
- Ambulance driver training, licensing, periodic certification including vehicle behaviour should not that be dealt separately.

Swerving is instinctive but could be dangerous. Even safety rated vehicles which are becoming more common, the way they are subjected to rash high speed driving the outcomes could be disastrous.
donabrh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 22:44   #35699
Distinguished - BHPian

Truck’s brakes fail and crashes into almost 30 cars in Shimla.

CEF_Beasts is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 11:50   #35700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Great choice of background music. Speedy Gonzales makes it even funnier.
Kickdown is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks