Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2022, 15:59   #35911
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
The other area which points to a lack of education is understanding of average speed. To mantain an average speed of 90kmph on your journey, you should cruise at 100/110kmph (well within posted limits). Trying to cruise at 150kmph and braking every 5 minutes will only cause fatigue and irritation, your average speed will still remain lower.
I'm with you 100%!

In my experience on highways leading to/out of Chennai, trying to cruise at 100+ Kmph often necessitates risky lane changes and aggressive braking every 1-2 minutes. That's super tiring on all occupants of the car, not just the driver. Imagine being an unaware passenger and being subjected to lateral forces and inertial forces all the time!

We've had funny experiences on long roadtrips where the same cars would overtake us multiple times - and also take multiple stops by the side of the road! My family is usually okay with continuing non-stop for 2 hours at a time, thanks to my relaxed driving style, before we take a break for my benefit as the driver.
locusjag is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 16:23   #35912
Distinguished - BHPian

A youngster aged 19 with his cousin on the front passenger seat on the move through Ballygunge Circular Road, Kolkata, was driving a red Jaguar F-Pace SUV rashly and negligently, hit an app aggregator's cab, a parked BMW and also a 40 year old woman. This happened yesterday at 3.50 pm. Unfortunately, the woman died on the spot while the other vehicles were damaged.

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/kolk...ign=TOIDesktop

Finally another brat who was behind the wheel that he could not control due to over speeding, rash and negligent driving has taken one more innocent life.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th August 2022 at 16:25.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 16:33   #35913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normaltusker View Post
Captured this accident with my car dashcam on Saturday. The red Ford was being driven at some what high speeds in the rains and ended up hitting a divider after getting aquaplaned. The rest is in the video.
He/she was way too fast in those wet conditions . Classic example of how not to treat wet roads the same as normal conditions and continue driving in the same manner.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 17:19   #35914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
Even if the car remains intact, imagine the sudden deceleration from 150 to 0 within seconds! Isn't that force enough to crush a human body?!
You reminded of something from 25 years back! As a college kid I wanted a bike. I walked into a the showroom of the commonly available bikes then, and remember a photograph from a brochure. It showed the scene of a road with a bike. A big circle represented a field of vision at 20 kmph, a smaller circle showed the field of vision at 40 kmph and so on. That black and white image has somehow stayed with me for all this time.
Dad refused a bike anyway and I had to wait till I started earning.

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th August 2022 at 22:26. Reason: Quoted post trimmed.
shailendrakr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 17:48   #35915
BHPian

This is so unfortunate. I see so many people boast about the speeds they do on highways and how fast they can reach their destinations. I am part of the jeep club and i have seen some members there talk about testing the limits of the machine on our roads with pride. All it takes is micro seconds for something as devastating as this to happen.
Bsreecharan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 18:21   #35916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
Somehow, my kid got used to sitting in the child seat and always wears seat belt. It's easy to build logic in kids minds as they are logic driven without bias.
I could not agree anymore. I thank my dad for making sure I always buckled up when I sat in the car as a child, be it in the front or back. It is a great habit you are instilling in your kid.

Now my hand instinctively goes to the seatbelt, again, irrespective of me sitting in the front or back.
Mechb63 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 18:41   #35917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

Like always I keep insisting that 110+ isn't sustainable or advisable on Indian roads, expressways or not. 90-100 is the sweet spot which is fast enough and gives you time to tackle unforeseen obstacles.
Agree! I do drive to my native which is 600 KMs south of Chennai quite often. From experience, speeds in the range of 110-120 vs 90-100 just makes a 30 minutes to overall journey time. Besides excess speeds make me very tired and makes me take a good sleep after reaching to the destination.

On the contrary, sane speed of 80-90 not only improves FE, I feel fresh after reaching the destination and can carry on usual chores.

I do drive a Ciaz, probably premium Cars/SUVs can do little more speed, but our brain can process the images only at certain speeds anything in excess is inviting trouble or fatigue do to over alertness.
sathya_g_m is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 19:04   #35918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
If the rear passengers are not wearing seat belts, despite my repeated requests, I will not go beyond 60 or 70 kph and will be double alert.
Quote:
Even if the car remains intact, imagine the sudden deceleration from 150 to 0 within seconds! Isn't that force enough to crush a human body?!
I once hit my apartment wall head on at 5 kmph while drawing up close to it for parking. Trust me, the sudden stop took my breath away. Just 5 kmph. 60-70 kmph can kill. Tell them to wear the seat belts else the car will not move. That is what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
I do drive to my native which is 600 KMs south of Chennai quite often. On the contrary, sane speed of 80-90 not only improves FE, I feel fresh after reaching the destination and can carry on usual chores.
I drive to Trichy and back every now and then. I drive an Alto and it's sweet spot is 80-90 kmph. It is a comfortable, fatigue free speed and will cover the distance may be half an hour or 40 minutes later than those who do 120 kmph. The driver need not be on edge, and that prevents mental fatigue as well. It is advisable to stick to highway speed limits, or exceed them by not too much. 10 or 20 km above, from time to time, may be alright but not more.

Last edited by Gansan : 8th August 2022 at 19:06.
Gansan is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 19:14   #35919
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Wait, they were all DUI?
Yes. It was the information received from many sources.
They have attended a goat sacrifice function (at Maamparai on the Oddachatram - Madurai highway. The temple is visited only by gents) and started back and it is said that they had taken liquor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
Can you provide a source for the 150kph speed?
The car may have escaped a culvert as well before this tragedy, albeit this is only rumour. The force of the collision (the ability to destroy the front axle of the Ashok Leyland) is so great that it cannot occur at 120 kph or less. One of the bodies was cut in half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainmaker View Post
Feel sorry for the occupants, but this is a live example of why NEVER to buy a Tata/Mahindra or any Indian vehicle.
There isn't an automobile that can travel at really high speeds and remain unharmed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
This gruesome accident goes to show that impact conditions in real world can be far removed from simulated crash tests.
Definitely true. The images that were shared shortly after the disaster are quite appalling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
Apparently, one of the passengers in XUV700 survived. Great but almost unbelievable!
Kishorkumar, however, escaped with injuries!
Yes, he is presently receiving care in a private medical facility. While his physical recuperation might take a few months, it would undoubtedly take him years to recover from his mental anguish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
Not sure 150, but 120 would have been my guess.
No. It goes beyond that. This stretch is a straight one, as you are aware. These guys have taken the Dharapuram - Avinashipalayam - Palladam route because the Palladam - Dharapuram stretch is being widened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
That's super tiring on all occupants of the car, not just the driver.
Constant speed driving is the finest type of driving. Variations in speed cause exhaustion and a bad experience.

To add,

There has been much debate on safety ratings, manufacturing standards, promotional videos, etc ., but this is reckless driving at a high speed.

Though it is unlikely because it would damage the insurance claim, etc., the lone survivor can tell the whole truth about the accident.

M&M engineers arrived on the scene and have taken the vehicle back for examination. Auto experts also arrived at the location.

The portion was only finished as a four-lane highway during the Pandemic. It is a busy road. This bus maintains a constant speed and is quite familiar with this stretch of road from having travelled it numerous times.

Last edited by RGK : 8th August 2022 at 19:35.
RGK is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 20:00   #35920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Around 3 p.m. today, this accident occurred on the Tirupur-Madurai route before Koduvai Village, which is close to the town of Dharapuram.
I hope this accident will be an eye opener for many who drive capable machines without proper training/skill.

On the other hand, I'm surprised to see this moped user without helmet at the same spot, where two vehicles crashed at high speed.

Name:  helmet.PNG
Views: 866
Size:  648.0 KB

Bikers must wear helmet and cars must be driven as per the road condition and speed limits.

We have a high percentage of untrained users and no car dealer would verify the experience/skill of the person, before selling the car.

Long back when I was in my early 20s, when I asked my uncle to give his Enfield to me, he said, "You need certain age to drive this" and never gave for many years.

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 8th August 2022 at 20:21.
chaitanyakrish is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 21:58   #35921
BHPian

150+ hp vehicles, used to be forte of premium vehicles only a few years back, are now no longer exclusive, in reach of many more which in general is a good thing for drivers. But these vehicles, when driven recklessly in our country where tribal laws are followed on roads and DLs are acquired via bribe, are going to be dangerous weapons for self destruction as well as for others like the innocuous bus in this case of xuv700 vs the bus!
OffRoadFun is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 21:59   #35922
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. It was the information received from many sources.
They have attended a goat sacrifice function (at Maamparai on the Oddachatram - Madurai highway. The temple is visited only by gents) and started back and it is said that they had taken liquor.
Yes, it's DUI. Confirmed.

Quote:
No. It goes beyond that. This stretch is a straight one, as you are aware. These guys have taken the Dharapuram - Avinashipalayam - Palladam route because the Palladam - Dharapuram stretch is being widened.
Yeah, the roads are arrow straight but too many intersections and towns in between make me never go beyond 90 at this stretch.

The bad thing is, yesterday, another set of the deceased guys friends, destroyed my friends Innova, again DUI, in a rural road near Karur but albeit in slow speed. Fortunately no one died but got bruises all around. Even after his friends demise, no one seems to learn anything.

Car rolled over twice because the driver turned too fast in a single lane rural road in speed > 50kmph. Innova repair bills as said by SC guys will be around 10-15L.

Although the guy who drover is ready to pay the whole amount for car, my friend vowed to never lend his car to anyone except me . Talk about learning by experience.
xcentrk is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 00:07   #35923
BHPian

When tech reaches the wrong hands...

https://www.facebook.com/reel/477601...id=chYV2B&fs=e
swoosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 00:28   #35924
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Even if the car remains intact, imagine the sudden deceleration from 150 to 0 within seconds! Isn't that force enough to crush a human body?
Humans underestimate inertia. It doesn't take a lot of force to grievously hurt a fragile human body. Even 'city' speeds - that a lot of people use to excuse irresponsible on-road behavior - can prove fatal.

There are three impacts at play in a vehicular accident:

1. Vehicle's impact with an external object.
2. Occupants' bodies' impact with objects within vehicle.
3. Organs' impact with other organs/skeleton.

Structural safety measures (including crumple zones) are meant to dissipate forces generated from impact #1, while primary (seatbelts) and secondary (airbags) restraints, when used appropriately, are meant to reduce severity of impact #2 and consequently outcomes of impact #3 in the cabin.

All systems have their limits, and physics cares neither for brand nor human (over)confidence in ability when those are crossed.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th August 2022 at 00:32.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 00:52   #35925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
The speed of impact would be much higher in head-on collision (say 100 + 50 = 150 kmph for a reference).
I agree with your comments on how the accident would have happened, it is inline with what I thought and wrote about how it may have happened.

However, one statement you mentioned is not correct.
When two similar vehicles travelling at x speed collide, there impact does not become 2x.

There is a beautiful and costly experiment video on this concept. It may be shared on t-bhp sometime ago also. Here is the link
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks