Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2022, 14:21   #36196
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I disagree strongly.
You have summed it up perfectly and that's what I said it was mistake on both ends. Driving a high position car Vcross, sometimes I cannot spot a bike or even a small hatchback behind the long boot in the rear view mirror if its tailgating. On highways I don't move out of the lane till I know the lane is clear even on divided highways. On single lane highway near Bhavnagar where I travel frequently, there was a truck driver who moved left to give way but my mind was not willing to overtake (assumption since road was clear) till he comes back in the lane.
tazmaan is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 16:17   #36197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I disagree strongly.
+1.

If you can't see, don't go!

It's that simple.
ph03n!x is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 18:06   #36198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Rumble strips are useless in the Indian Heavy Vehicle context.
Another huge problem with rumble strip design in India is that some of them are so thick they are like Speed breakers. A person driving a sedan has to slow down for these whereas heavy vehicles or something like an Innova or Fortuner just power through these. Almost got rear ended by a Scorpio in a situation like the one described above.

Sometimes it seems like Indian roads are only made for high GC cars. Unscientific Speed breakers, craters masquerading as potholes and rumble strips than can rattle your bones, we have them all.
revsperminute is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 19:24   #36199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
.. the fault is with the Bus driver. .
Quote:
The overtaking bus driver is indeed wrong to be doing so in the face of oncoming traffic. This does not make him responsible for the idiot coming suddenly from the blind spot immediately behind the oncoming bus.

The biker is moving out into the unknown, and it turned lethal. How stupid is that,
An accident is always a result of a chain of mis-steps. There is no denying the underage riding, riding behind a large vehicle in the blindspot, suddenly coming in the bus' path. These are all faults for sure.

However the Bus driver did a grave blunder by overtaking in that reckless manner all along the flyover.
Overtaking on flyovers is prohibited. He was driving well beyond on the opposite lane. The other Bus had to go its extreme left to avoid a collision. There was no space in that other lane and the mis-step of the biker cost him his life.
Would still hold the driver fully accountable for his blunder.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 14th September 2022 at 19:41.
for_cars1 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 20:08   #36200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
An accident is always a result of a chain of mis-steps.

However the Bus driver did a grave blunder by overtaking in that reckless manner all along the flyover.
Overtaking on flyovers is prohibited.

Would still hold the driver fully accountable for his blunder.
Yeah but was there overwhelming cause and effect, as to the ultimate accident which occurred?

I would bet that the rider will have tried such an overtaking attempt any given Sunday (and probably on Monday too), even if there were no buses playing peekaboo in front. The rider's lack of skill caused him his ultimate fate if you ask me. The guy didn't bother to exercise caution, to respect the unknown. He just went for it.

How many drivers and riders in our country care to attempt overtakes only when they have a clear view of the situation? The cardinal rule is - if I can't see what's in front and sides of the vehicle I am attempting to overtake, I shouldn't even be trying it.
locusjag is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 20:08   #36201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
When a vehicle in front of you swerves, follow it. There is something in front they are trying to avoid that you can't see.
I used to follow this rule, but had a strange experience and was rethinking what to do.

I extracted the footage from my dashcam few weeks back, but didn't upload thinking it is not that important.

However, after reading your comment today, had uploaded the video on youtube just now.

Situation: I was following a bus and it started moving towards right. I thought that there is someone coming from wrong direction and it will hit me, hence I followed the bus in its path.
Within a few seconds, I realised that the bus is about to park on the other side, and I course corrected. I was literally left vulnerable to the oncoming traffic.

The video is from dashcam which is situated on the left side of my car. I was literally blinded to the oncoming traffic and was stranded on the wrong side of the road. Luckily there was no oncoming traffic. I have never felt so vulnerable in the past.

The question I wanted to ask bhpians was, what to do in such situations? Point to note, bus didn't use its indicator.

Have a look at the video.

Update
Another scary/dangerous video in my feed:

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 14th September 2022 at 20:18.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 20:20   #36202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The question I wanted to ask bhpians was, what to do in such situations?
You are in effect, driving at what I judge to be around 50 kmph without a view of the road ahead. I would suggest one of (a) overtake the bus, or (b) back off and put in a bit of extra distance between the two of you. In this specific instance (b) looks more prudent.

The consequence of doing neither is clear at around 0:18 in the video. When the bus swerved to the right you didn't have the time to figure the right course of action. Ideally you'd want the bus to move out of your line of sight so that you can see the road ahead and decide for yourself what to do. Here you ended up instinctively following the bus.
binand is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 20:24   #36203
BHPian

Quote:
The question I wanted to ask bhpians was, what to do in such situations?
The best step would be, not to follow a heavy vehicle so close.

The bus do not have the indicators turned on, while moving to right and I'm not sure, if the brake lights are working or not.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 20:26   #36204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
You are in effect, driving at what I judge to be around 50 kmph without a view of the road ahead. I would suggest one of (a) overtake the bus, or (b) back off and put in a bit of extra distance between the two of you. In this specific instance (b) looks more prudent.

The consequence of doing neither is clear at around 0:18 in the video. When the bus swerved to the right you didn't have the time to figure the right course of action. Ideally you'd want the bus to move out of your line of sight so that you can see the road ahead and decide for yourself what to do. Here you ended up instinctively following the bus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
The best step would be, not to follow a heavy vehicle so close.

The bus do not have the indicators turned on, while moving to right and I'm not sure, if the brake lights are working or not.

Thanks, I was maintaining 2 cars distance from the bus. It was only when it started braking, that the distance reduced. It didn't had brake lights either.
Old 14th September 2022, 20:28   #36205
BHPian

Quote:
Update
Another scary/dangerous video in my feed:
https://Youtu.be/xV5x0e5SGNI
Wondering what triggered the sudden movement of the buffalo?

Is she baffled by some noise? Its nasty hit and very unpredictable. It happens all of a sudden, no time to react.

What's up with The biker guy who was carrying the grass. He was not even bothered and merrily moved on.
Old 14th September 2022, 22:35   #36206
BHPian

There is defensive driving in India to be followed strictly whenever even the slightest bit of uncertainty creeps in. Let go of the A pedal immediately and go on the defensive.

But in some situations, you need to go into ultra defensive mode!. You behind the bus is exactly one such scenario. A bus can overtake, move to stop at a bus stop, turn into a bus stand or just take a turn, or stop abruptly to let a passenger get off, without any indication whatsoever. So switch to ultra defensive mode if you are too close to the bus and watch what he is planning. Don't ever just follow him!.
Nalin1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 00:59   #36207
BHPian

Quote:

The biker is moving out into the unknown, and it turned lethal. How stupid is that, when, from further behind, he could have moved slightly right to check the oncoming traffic etc. From that position he could have got out of the way and would be alive.
I fully agree with your observations.

I have to make intercity trips of 600ish kms every month and the route passes through heavily populated rural and urban areas, as well as decent highways, divided and undivided both. What baffles me the most is when the overconfident/oblivious/optimistic drivers get out of their lanes without any idea what lies ahead of them. They just expect that they'll magically end up getting space to overtake even if it means pushing someone off the road.

When I have heavy vehicles in front of me and I don't have clear vision, I just slow down, increase the space cushion between the vehicle ahead, and stick my neck out (when on my bike) to get a view of what lies ahead. Until and unless I get 100% certainty that there is no vehicle, dog, cow, pedestrian, gravel, any other road hazard ahead, I don't dare to move out of my lane. Once I have clear vision, I just overtake with WOT and then settle down to my cruising speed back again, only to repeat the same thing tens of times again.
Yash390 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 08:50   #36208
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedes Benz set ablaze by a disgruntled contractor for nonpayment of dues:

https://m.timesofindia.com/videos/to...w/94207711.cms

Just curious, does insurance cover such damage?

Last edited by androdev : 15th September 2022 at 08:51.
Old 15th September 2022, 10:06   #36209
BHPian

A flyover without a road divider is a recipe for disaster, what were the authorities thinking when they designed it. Considering our road manners, we should have them at every possible place.
Old 15th September 2022, 10:58   #36210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Mercedes Benz set ablaze by a disgruntled contractor for nonpayment of dues:

https://m.timesofindia.com/videos/to...w/94207711.cms

Just curious, does insurance cover such damage?
I guess vandalism is covered by most Insurance policies. Unless specifically excluded, it will get covered.

'Acts of God or Nature' are not covered by any policy by default I believe.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed