Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2023, 17:10   #37231
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Came across this in Twitter. Could not believe that someone could be so irresponsible. This happened in Bengaluru.

https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1615302033774612480
sunbaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 18:20   #37232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra__foxtrot View Post
A Horrible Accident involving a Skoda Kodiaq and a Toyota Fortuner
Don't mean to generalize, and I should probably post this in 'spotting the bad driver' thread.

If it suddenly jumps in front of you like a stray animal, nothing helps. But, as is the case with motorcycle squids, I stay cautious of vehicles with Pajero style sticker work on lower half of the doors, extremely dark tints and political party flags. The involved Fortuner appears to be having more than one of those warning signs.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 22:59   #37233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbaj View Post
Could not believe that someone could be so irresponsible. This happened in Bengaluru.

https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1615302033774612480
Not 'irresponsible', but inhuman!
How could he
sarathlal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 10:21   #37234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbaj View Post
Came across this in Twitter. Could not believe that someone could be so irresponsible. This happened in Bengaluru.
It just boggles the mind as to how one can be so casually inhuman! Apparently he hit the man's jeep and was making a dash for it and seeing him try to escape, the man grabbed onto the two wheeler (why, just why) and well got taken for a harsh ride.

Having been stopped he just takes his phone and acts as if nothing is wrong .

Apparently he claims he did not know that the person was hanging onto his scooter
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 15:30   #37235
Distinguished - BHPian

This is front page news in my newspaper today!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
... the man grabbed onto the two wheeler (why, just why) and well got taken for a harsh ride.
Yes, why! Did he think he could hold back a scooter? Did he then think it was safer to hold on than to let himself drop to the road? Was he just 100% determined that the scooter guy was not going to escape? He succeeded at that!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-newsclip.jpg
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 16:24   #37236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Was he just 100% determined that the scooter guy was not going to escape?
Yes and here is why:

Quote:
"I was riding my SUV (Mahindra Bolero). He hit my vehicle from behind around 1 pm near the toll gate on Magadi Road. When I questioned him, he tried to escape without stopping. I decided not to let him escape because of his attitude. So I caught the the scooter handle," said Muthanna, who is a resident of Hegganahalli.

"He was trying to increase his speed and tried to hit on my hand a couple of times so that I leave the handle. A few motorists tried to stop him, but he rode for almost a kilometer to Hosahalli metro station," he said

"If he had stopped and apologised to me, I would have let him go, but the scooter rider didn't even bother to stop when I was being dragged," Muthanna said.
Source: Deccan Herald
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 16:33   #37237
Senior - BHPian

Has me wondering what happened to his suddenly orphaned bolero on the road.

Sigh, take a pic of the scooter and complain at the station. Sometimes you just got to let things go.

Hanging onto a scooter for an unholy joyride through traffic for a kilometer cannot have been fun by any means.
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 18:54   #37238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Yes and here is why:
Kudos to the guy! But, at our age (roughly same as me) I just don't think this kind of caper is justified. But I admire his courage, grit and determination. Thing is, it could have killed him. Too big a price to pay for what had happened.

I too noticed the quote, that if the scooter driver had apologised, he would have forgiven him. And that the scooter guy has been charged with attempted murder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr
Sigh, take a pic of the scooter and complain at the station.
I think the scooter guy would have vanished in the traffic before he even got his phone out.

While I'm distributing kudos, some are due to the public who stopped the two-wheeler getting away in the end.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 19:26   #37239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Yet another completely avoidable bang!

https://Youtu.be/T6LHPeZ0CQE
I was in a very similar situation today. The lady merged without looking.

I was blinded by the i20 and my A-pillar.

Luckily, I had seen the above video in the past on TeamBhp and as soon as this lady became visible, I braked without a second thought.

This video should have been shared on near-misses thread, but wanted to share how accident videos help in developing responses/reactions.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 10:14   #37240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But I admire his courage, grit and determination.

His GRIP too. Not sure how he held on for so long.
FORTified is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 10:32   #37241
BHPian

Killer PCR van of Gurgaon police:

https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...808583078.html

This accident happened with my wife's team member. He was on steering of his Swift, ferrying his sister, her infant and some more family members from Gurgaon to Faridabad through the Pahari road/ Gwal Pahari road of Gurgaon. One PCR vehicle of Gurgaon police rammed into their car from the wrong side and smashed the front of their Swift. This happened before he could do anything. Accident spot was very near to their office.

Shocking was the Gurgaon police fled away from the spot neither they extended any help to recover the injured persons.

The 6 months old female baby of his sister passed away on the spot. He is physically injured and hospitalized and in double shock. This fellow distributed sweets just 6 months ago for the good news of new born of his sister.

He had many other cars and strong SUVs in his family. He should have selected Toyota or Scorpio for ferrying the kids. We feel sad for him.

Last edited by RijuC : 19th January 2023 at 10:34.
RijuC is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 10:48   #37242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
He had many other cars and strong SUVs in his family. He should have selected Toyota or Scorpio for ferrying the kids. We feel sad for him.
Quote from the article you shared.

Quote:
The deceased child was in her mother’s lap who was seated on the front seat. Investigators said the toddler’s head banged against the dashboard due to the impact of the accident, killing her instantly, police added.
I feel sorry for the mother and the driver. But not even a Volvo or a Tesla would've saved the child if what's mentioned in the article is true.

Mom's lap maybe the safest place for a toddler at most places. But not inside a car. It is not a lesson you want to learn the hard way.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 14:46   #37243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Killer PCR van of Gurgaon police:

https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...808583078.html

One PCR vehicle of Gurgaon police rammed into their car from the wrong side and smashed the front of their Swift.
Apart from the usual stray jumping in front of the car or a sudden biker/cyclist/pedestrian 'appearing' out of nowhere, a PCR van ramming into me on the wrong side of the road is one of my biggest fear. I have seen PCR vans and police on two-wheelers flouting all traffic rules and I always wonder who checks the ones who are supposed to keep a check on others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Well the medals and gains are as follows:
3. Ego boost with imaginary game points you get when you overtake a car. More points for overtaking bigger, more expensive and faster car than yours.
4. Impressing your opposite sex partner.

To be honest I am guilty of point 3 as well but on my bike. I own a Triumph Street Twin which is a torque monster. I like to imagine the look on people's faces when an oldish-looking, docile, unassuming bike going at sedate speed suddenly wakes up and zooms past them like a sports bike with me screaming inside my helmet - Yess Yess (like Jeremy Clarkson). Now I don't think anyone else on the road cares but one can be delusional on their own accord.

And point 4 rarely happens in reality. In fact, my wife gives me death stares when I pull off stunts like this on the bike or in the car. This pattern is true for women on the street as well. I am sure they hurl choicest abuses while we are busy counting game points!
shabih is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 21:46   #37244
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih View Post
To be honest I am guilty of point 3 as well but on my bike. I own a Triumph Street Twin which is a torque monster. I like to imagine the look on people's faces when an oldish-looking, docile, unassuming bike going at sedate speed suddenly wakes up and zooms past them like a sports bike with me screaming inside my helmet - Yess Yess (like Jeremy Clarkson). Now I don't think anyone else on the road cares but one can be delusional on their own accord.

And point 4 rarely happens in reality. In fact, my wife gives me death stares when I pull off stunts like this on the bike or in the car. This pattern is true for women on the street as well. I am sure they hurl choicest abuses while we are busy counting game points!
I like you already. It's rare to find a BHP-ian who admits that he is just like any other guy on the road (which all of us members are, in blunt honesty, simply because we are part of the same society that we see around us). But in TBHP, what I have observed is that 90% of the comments and opinions are like "I always keep within speed limits, even if it's 80kph on a 3+3 expressway" OR "never have I ever allowed anyone to sit in the rear seat without seatbelts, when I am driving" , as if TBHP threads are a court of law OR as if the members want to project a 'holier-than-thou' image about themselves. Glad to see someone admit thier 'not-so-correct' behaviour when on road, becuase I am guilty of the same.
venkyhere is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 08:24   #37245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I like you already. It's rare to find a BHP-ian who admits that he is just like any other guy on the road (which all of us members are, in blunt honesty, simply because we are part of the same society that we see around us). But in TBHP, what I have observed is that 90% of the comments and opinions are like "I always keep within speed limits, even if it's 80kph on a 3+3 expressway" OR "never have I ever allowed anyone to sit in the rear seat without seatbelts, when I am driving"
I haven't seen many of such absolute statements here, but I trust that whosoever is making it, is following it.

You will never see 'I always drive with passengers tucked in rear seat belts' as I don't follow this.
99.9% of Bhpians are not making such assertive statements as they may not be following it themselves. I trust that the remaining 0.1% who are making such statements does follow them.

You may find a rare 'I always drive with my seat belts locked in' statement from me, as I always do.

There are threads on ECU mandated speed limits and people share their opinion by saying that they want an X limit. That doesn't mean that they follow it all the time and hence they are recommending it. It may also mean, that they want this control to be in place to prevent 'themselves' from going over the designated speed limits, which they sometimes do.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed