Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2023, 10:29   #37246
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I like you already. It's rare to find a BHP-ian who admits that he is just like any other guy on the road (which all of us members are, in blunt honesty, simply because we are part of the same society that we see around us). Glad to see someone admit thier 'not-so-correct' behaviour when on road, becuase I am guilty of the same.
Hey Venky, my brother haha! I think there is that little bit of hooliganism in few of us which keeps us alive isnt it. And I agree with MT_Hyderabad as well that informed riders usually adhere to rules of common sense when on public roads. Sometimes you just give in to your instincts, have a little bit of fun like screaming inside the helmet while zooming past much bigger machines or put some nice edm and acting like the illuminated winding streets are gokart track

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
I haven't seen many of such absolute statements here, but I trust that whosoever is making it, is following it.
As informed adults who have read through forums about sensible riding behavior, we mostly stick to limits. And long may it continue!
shabih is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 10:39   #37247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I like you already. It's rare to find a BHP-ian who admits that he is just like any other guy on the road (which all of us members are, in blunt honesty, simply because we are part of the same society that we see around us). But in TBHP, what I have observed is that 90% of the comments and opinions are like "I always keep within speed limits, even if it's 80kph on a 3+3 expressway" OR "never have I ever allowed anyone to sit in the rear seat without seatbelts, when I am driving" , as if TBHP threads are a court of law OR as if the members want to project a 'holier-than-thou' image about themselves. Glad to see someone admit thier 'not-so-correct' behaviour when on road, becuase I am guilty of the same.
It's one thing to falter and keep doing it again and again, and justify it. Or, acknowledge and mend ways. As MT_Hyderabad said, I don't think people are just bluffing around. Many would not mind being governed for the greater good. And some others recognize even if they belong to the same society they need to bring a change.

I fall in the second category and have admitted it to it in some posts that I became a defensive driver over a period of time - by learning and practice. And I really do practice what I preach when it comes to defensive driving. It is out of respect for laws, fellow drivers, for creating order, and above all - value for life. Nobody asked me to. I didn't have near misses to change my approach. And I truly am one of those who believes in relative speeds and not directly associating speed with dangerous driving. What I despise is the way our public puts others at risk as majority don't have the maturity to handle speeds. They consider it as an entitlement. That's when speed becomes dangerous.

Though, I get your point. It takes courage to admit one is wrong. Anyway T-BHP rules advocate not promoting unsafe driving practices - so people would refrain mentioning any such practices they indulge in. This reply isn't meant to be offensive or in self defense. Just adding a perspective.
theabstractmind is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 13:22   #37248
Senior - BHPian

This video has been doing the rounds of social media for a couple of days now.
Few observations from my side:
1. Speed limit on the road was 70 Kmph.
2. Car was doing 78 Kmph.
3. Accident was just after a set of rumblers and a zebra crossing.
4. The road was a highway till recently with a speed limit of 80 Kmph.
5. Scooter was obscured by the bus.
6. Scooter turned suddenly without checking oncoming traffic.
7. Scooter crossed a continuous white line.
8. Scooter rider was not wearing a helmet.
9. The time between sighting the scooter and impact was approximately 3 seconds.
10. Driver braked as much as he could.
11. Driver rushed to the scooterists assistance.
12. Driver or his wife called the cops and ambulance (not visible or audible in the video).
13. Driver did not flee the scene.
14. Car was a Nexon EV (No engine noise to warn the scooterist).

Who do you think was at fault here?
pedrolourenco is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 13:44   #37249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
It was foolish on the part of the scooter rider to cross the road in that manner. One should never cross the road when they can't see the road.

Not passing the entire blame to the driver, but shouldn't the driver slow down when he/she saw the rumbler strips & the zebra crossing? Can't judge, but looking at the video the road looks narrow for 75-80 kmph.
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 14:10   #37250
BHPian

Quote:
Few observations from my side:
1. Speed limit on the road was 70 Kmph.
2. Car was doing 78 Kmph.
3. Accident was just after a set of rumblers and a zebra crossing.
4. The road was a highway till recently with a speed limit of 80 Kmph.
5. Scooter was obscured by the bus.
6. Scooter turned suddenly without checking oncoming traffic.
7. Scooter crossed a continuous white line.
8. Scooter rider was not wearing a helmet.
14. Car was a Nexon EV (No engine noise to warn the scooterist).

In UP here most of the highways even the 4 lane ones are through towns and even though the speed limit is 80, my father always told me to slow down to a respectable speed of 50-60 just in case some idiot decided to jump in between. Here it is a 2 lane highway through a village/town with no divider and with a zebra crossing so in my opinion the driver should have been doing 50-60 and one can pick up speed once they have passed the town.

Second of all it could have been worse for instance, a child could have been crossing the street and the driver would not have seen it and it's pretty common in India for people to cross blindly, so as a thumb rule one should slow down to 30-40 if a bus has stopped.

Engine noise or no engine noise, no one bothers to check so one has to drive defensively.

Here both are at fault equally, the driver should have slowed down once he saw the stopped bus and the scooter rider should have waited for the bus to leave.

Last edited by Axe77 : 20th January 2023 at 15:34. Reason: As requested.
revvharder is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 14:59   #37251
BHPian

Quote:

Perpendicular driving is rampant across our country.

When the driver saw a stopped bus, he should've slowed down expecting a passenger to cross, if not a biker.
Also, there is a school zone sign board and there is a school kid waiting to cross on the left.

All these are warning signs and driver should've been defensive to prevent the accident.

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 20th January 2023 at 15:10.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 15:43   #37252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Both.

Vision: ignored by scooter rider as well as driver.
Defensive driving: ignored by both. An upcoming intersection begs for speeds to be slowed down. The car failed to do that. The scooterist is also crossing with abandon without adequate vision of oncoming traffic. I won't even get into their lack of helmets etc.
Axe77 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 16:34   #37253
BHPian

Quote:
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=sctBXV9y18g
Thanks for sharing the video and your analysis.

After analysing this video, I am able to conclude that the car driver is solely responsible for the accident.

The important analysis that you missed was:

1.Time of the accident
2. Accident site

The accident site is a school and there were enough markings before and at the accident site to let the driver know that he is traversing through a school zone.

The time of the accident is early morning school assembling time.

I assume that the driver himself is ferrying a school girl named Lisa to another school. The ID is visible and the name was taken by her mom before the accident happened. He must be familiar about this school and road markings.

There could be a school kid running across this zone anytime and it is the responsibility of the driver to slow down in this zone. There was a school girl visible in the video itself.

This is what the scooter rider (who was carrying another school kid) must have thought. That any vehicle will slow down on those rumblers. Poor rider didn't knew that there are reckless drivers who increase their speed to move over them more comfortably. Probably, this rider has never driven a car, but it doesn't dilute the responsibility of the car driver.

Send him to jail immediately and let him apply for bail (kept the latter part considering emotions of our community). He could kill a school child tomorrow if he continues like this.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 20th January 2023 at 16:39.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 19:36   #37254
BHPian

Very tough call. Though, the car looks to be driving too fast considering the width of the road. If this is a road taken often, then the driver and the scooterist both became complacent.

The scooterist is at fault to the extent that he didn't have a clear libe of sight. Maybe he could have done a tiny bit better to check over if something is crossing his path. But as a one off case, I can sympathise as he didn't seem to be just carelessly crossing but surely missed on waiting a second as he was also equally blinded by the bus.

Majority of the fault though lies with the car driver. There were enough indicators for him to slow down - the signboards, rumble strip, and the zebra crossing. When you are nearing an intersection, whether there is a signage or not, always slow down. Apart from the bus which blinded the vision, I think the conversations in the car was the key contributor. The driver's attention was divided therefore his line of vision and reaction times both would be impaired.

I did read someone else say this - on how he/she tries to avoid conversations when driving. I can't agree more on the need for it.
theabstractmind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 20:43   #37255
BHPian

Woman drags man on car bonnet in Bangalore. The number of such cases coming up recently is highly alraming. https://twitter.com/ndtv/status/1616...4FEFncfBcSelig
rahulcmoulee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 22:39   #37256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

IMO the car is going too fast considering the width of the road, the field of vision is quite narrow. My defensive driving sense says to reduce speed at an intersection and one should always anticipate anything to can come at you on Indian roads.
tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 00:28   #37257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
Woman drags man on car bonnet in Bangalore. The number of such cases coming up recently is highly alraming.
No idea how bad of an altercation it was. Absolutely nothing is worth proving something right by putting your own life on the line. With so many fender benders, the process to handle these needs some trust. As a society we need to accept mistakes happen, and the process would penalize the offender. Jobless bystanders with free time, sorting it out based on their prejudices is one of my top fears while I drive in Bengaluru. Especially, cabs, autos, aggressive teens on bikes.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 21st January 2023 at 00:32.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 09:50   #37258
BHPian

Quote:
This is what the scooter rider (who was carrying another school kid) must have thought. That any vehicle will slow down on those rumblers. Poor rider didn't knew that there are reckless drivers who increase their speed to move over them more comfortably. Probably, this rider has never driven a car, but it doesn't dilute the responsibility of the car driver.

Send him to jail immediately and let him apply for bail (kept the latter part considering emotions of our community). He could kill a school child tomorrow if he continues like this.
The goa police have registered a case, ONLY against the 2-wheeler rider.

https://www.thegoan.net/goa-news/nuv...ads/94076.html

To a question, Maina-Curtorim police station in-charge, PI Ravi Desai informed the police has registered the case against the Activa rider since he was allegedly found crossing the road at the zebra crossing meant for pedestrians.
Old 21st January 2023, 10:28   #37259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The goa police have registered a case, ONLY against the 2-wheeler rider.

https://www.thegoan.net/goa-news/nuv...ads/94076.html

To a question, Maina-Curtorim police station in-charge, PI Ravi Desai informed the police has registered the case against the Activa rider since he was allegedly found crossing the road at the zebra crossing meant for pedestrians.
What else can be expected from the police. There is no penalty for driving fast on a zebra crossing. I doubt that rumblers is a word in the MV Act, forget about penalty on driving fast over it.

Atleast they could have charged the driver for driving over the speed limit designated for the road to prevent others from doing so.
Old 21st January 2023, 11:33   #37260
BHPian

Quote:
There is no penalty for driving fast on a zebra crossing. I doubt that rumblers is a word in the MV Act, forget about penalty on driving fast over it.

Atleast they could have charged the driver for driving over the speed limit designated for the road to prevent others from doing so.
Is there a rule that a driver must slow down at a zebra crossing? (Not being a smart-arse, just asking as I do not know. Where I live, you have to be vigilant when you approach one and stop IF there is a pedestrian about to cross or is crossing, but there isn't an explicit requirement to slow down if there are no pedestrians).

+1 to being fined for overspeeding. However, a question here too, is a dashcam enough evidence of speeding from a legal perspective.

Overall I feel this 2-wheeler driver is primarily responsible for this crash. There really is no excuse for crossing a 70 km/hr road without checking for traffic. If the view was obscured it's surely their responsibility to wait until it is not obscured and check for traffic again.

The car driver too is responsible, to a lesser extent I think, for not slowing down given the stopped bus, school zone signs etc.
hdus001 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks