Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2023, 08:12   #37306
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

It's absolutely unacceptable to stick your head out of sunroof/let your kids do it - but frankly, had they been on a bike, would the outcome have been any different? I would say a lot of blame has to go to healthcare infra/doctors/ambulance. Regardless of whose mistake it is, timely medical attention could have saved the boy's life.
epiccross is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 08:35   #37307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
It's absolutely unacceptable to stick your head out of sunroof/let your kids do it
Govt should ban sunroofs in which glass layer can be opened. Let people enjoy the view through a permanenetly closed sunroof, if they want fresh air they can open windows. In India most of the people are not responsible and only way to solve a problem is through regulation. Harsh, but it's the only solution. I come across kids (and adults) sticking out of sunroofs frequently. Apart from hazards (low hanging wires, low ground clearance underpass etc), in a situation of sudden braking people can get thrown out or hit the roof itself badly to get seriously injured.
abhishekjoshi84 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 08:55   #37308
Team-BHP Support

I’ve been extremely vocal about kids sticking out of sunroofs on that thread and it is precisely for these kind of risks and many others that I feel so strongly against it. I have limited emotion for adults standing out of roofs and associated consequences - but children are our wards and under the protection of our better judgment as their adult guardians & parents.

Regardless, my deepest sympathies for what has happened - no parent deserves this, irrespective of who is to blame. My disappointment is that from the news report, it would seem they don’t even seem to be aware of their contributory negligence in what has happened.

Finally, its wishful thinking I’m sure but I do hope the local authorities take some cognizance of the shortcomings and do whatever best they can to remedy this. Emergency situations can be caused by any number of reasons and the cause is irrelevant - basic facilities have to be in place and the trauma that this family went through in that crucial window is heart breaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekjoshi84 View Post
Govt should ban sunroofs in which glass layer can be opened. Let people enjoy the view through a permanenetly closed sunroof, if they want fresh air they can open windows. In India most of the people are not responsible and only way to solve a problem is through regulation.
You can’t legislate against stupidity. See the post below. Will you now ban windows and doors too. People with scant regard for safety will find some way or the other to endanger their own and others’ lives. The counter to everything cant be a ban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
No sunroof? No problem! Where there’s a “tool” there’s a way. Presenting a box full of ‘tools’ found zipping around Bhushi dam today.

Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 09:43   #37309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekjoshi84 View Post
Govt should ban sunroofs in which glass layer can be opened. Let people enjoy the view through a permanenetly closed sunroof, if they want fresh air they can open windows. In India most of the people are not responsible and only way to solve a problem is through regulation.
Please don't give them ideas. This kind of thinking has honestly gotten us to these so called 'quick fix' regulations that don't work at all. The problem fundamentally is with lack of awareness - no matter what you give or don't give, people would abuse it. There would be just no end to it. Others shouldn't have to suffer in such cases.

PS: I don't care for sunroofs, personally.
epiccross is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 11:48   #37310
BHPian

On my way back from TCR to MAS yesterday, we stopped for lunch at A2B, Attur. After lunch I was cruising at around 75 when the Swift D'zire on the left lane swerves and decides to make a sudden brake in the middle of the road for whatever reason. Since, as usual, I had my eyes on the mirror, was able to make the required slight evasive action.
Are the experts here able to spot something?
I didn't stop to enquire, but was a bit scary thinking about what all can go wrong on the road.

rajivr1612 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 11:58   #37311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
I didn't stop to enquire, but was a bit scary thinking about what all can go wrong on the road.
My guess is he would have fallen asleep and woken up from the vibrations going over those white strips and panic braked seeing the intersection.
tharian is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 12:48   #37312
BHPian

Looks a real bad one - concrete mixer lorry and a bus. Fortunately per the news report, only injuries reported so far.
Old 27th January 2023, 16:22   #37313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's absolutely unacceptable to stick your head out of sunroof/let your kids do it - but frankly, had they been on a bike, would the outcome have been any different?
They wouldn't have been so high. But that is just a maybe technical difference. A quibble. Many such accidents have happened to bikers.

Truth is, old lethal tradition of manja meets new lethal tradition of sitting out of sunroof. It was bound to happen
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 20:46   #37314
Senior - BHPian

A case should be filed against the parents/driver for putting the kid's life in danger. This might create awareness of the actual use of sunroofs in our country.
msdivy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 22:56   #37315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Are the experts here able to spot something?

https://Youtu.be/1EQwgeA37Ug
It is a case of erratic suspension response over rumblers.

The first one went normal, the second one had unexpected suspension response and the driver panicked.

Road manners in a banana republic. Wish it is not India, but it seems it is!
Look how everyone is driving.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 27th January 2023 at 22:58.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 00:51   #37316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Road safety awareness is still a taboo thing in major part of our country which costs loss for the lifetime to many people.

Condolence to the family of the deceased.

Mumbai: Eight-year-old peering out of sunroof loses life as manja cuts throat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
And they are blaming everything from Medical Facilities, Availability of Doctors, Ambulance for death instead of blaming themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Regardless, my deepest sympathies for what has happened - no parent deserves this, irrespective of who is to blame. My disappointment is that from the news report, it would seem they don’t even seem to be aware of their contributory negligence in what has happened.
I recollected that there was a thread on TeamBhp regarding manja incidents and it was having some gruesome news, which I cannot forget.

Found it and sharing the same with everyone.
The links to the main news is also active in the thread.

2 incidents happened on the same day in 2016 as per the news and hospital was closeby as it was in Delhi city. However, none could be saved.

Hence, rather than blaming the Healthcare infrastructure, it is our responsibility to share such news to the ignorant parents who have sunroofs.

I have copied the news articles here, please send them to your society WhatsApp groups/people you know who drive cars with sunroofs, with a warning.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ed-manjha.html (Child pops head out of the sunroof; killed by manjha!)

https://www.hindustantimes.com/delhi...YBSe6UVAN.html

Mumbai: Eight-year-old peering out of sunroof loses life as manja cuts throat

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 29th January 2023 at 00:53.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 10:26   #37317
BHPian

Quote:
It's absolutely unacceptable to stick your head out of sunroof/let your kids do it - but frankly, had they been on a bike, would the outcome have been any different? I would say a lot of blame has to go to healthcare infra/doctors/ambulance. Regardless of whose mistake it is, timely medical attention could have saved the boy's life.
Unlikey, getting the windpipe cut is not the issue (if once can keep all the blood out of it). Injure even one carotid and try to save someones life on the road, easier said than done, and this is coming from someone who pokes holes in both. In most cases if a doctor with the required expertise is on hand with all necessary equipment, he would likely hand over a vegetative or severely incapacitated individual back to the relatives.
kaps454
kaps454 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 10:51   #37318
Distinguished - BHPian

Build quality, anyone?

https://fb.watch/im-YUEoWXv/

I'm being facetious; whatever "build quality" means, is best left to the legions of keyboard warriors who sing paeans about it. Here be a Desi Loha that took down brick walls; no telling if its occupants are alive, the deployed front airbags notwithstanding.
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 11:18   #37319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Build quality, anyone?

https://fb.watch/im-YUEoWXv/

I'm being facetious; whatever "build quality" means, is best left to the legions of keyboard warriors who sing paeans about it. Here be a Desi Loha that took down brick walls; no telling if its occupants are alive, the deployed front airbags notwithstanding.
As you keep writing poetic prose, it becomes difficult for us mere mortals to decipher it More than the link, your description got me interested and made me watch the video.

I couldn't help but wonder, the building appears old, so maybe the build quality argument has to be shifted to the fallen subject
deetee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 13:44   #37320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
As you keep writing poetic prose, it becomes difficult for us mere mortals to decipher it More than the link, your description got me interested and made me watch the video.
How do I earn that reputation everywhere, I wonder? Damn.

See - I was purposefully ambivalent about 'build quality'. On the one hand, an indestructible car appeals to me quite a lot. On the other hand, all the energies involved in the collision had to have gone somewhere right? If the car doesn't sustain damage, perhaps its occupants will? Are we looking at a car whose occupants have died later of internal bleeding in a hospital somewhere. I don't know!

Quote:
I couldn't help but wonder, the building appears old, so maybe the build quality argument has to be shifted to the fallen subject
One thing about brick buildings - age doesn't necessarily confer weakness on brick masonry structures. Unless we know that inferior construction practices/materials were used, we can safely assume that it is a strong structure.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks