Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2008, 20:27   #1021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
my santro which was hit yesterday by a maruti 800 taking a left turn, just behind my house.
a lady was talking on the mobile phone when instead of pressing the brake, pressed the throttle..

damages to the 800: big dent on the bonnet, bumper came off, engine radiator and a/c compressor with the coil needs to be replaced, right front fender minor dent, right headlight and turn indicator light needs replacement.

damage to my santro: broken headlight(replacement cost-Rs 3800), bent fender (replacement cost-Rs. 1600 fender+2000 paint) and damaged front bumper (replacement cost-Rs. 1200 for bumper and Rs. 2,500 for paint)
Aaww..that is sad...hope you gave that lady driver a piece of your mind...
Old 16th September 2008, 22:16   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
@vikram-d I agree- this car does not look like a total loss from the outside.
You misunderstood me my friend. To me that car is a write off. But sadly it is not for our insurance agents.

Last edited by vikram_d : 16th September 2008 at 22:18.
Old 17th September 2008, 03:37   #1023
BHPian

I'd like to narrate an incident that happened to me on the Eastern Express Highway 2 days ago, around 5 in the evening. It has changed my life!

I'm driving my Corolla, my driver's side window is jammed, and refuses to go up. The sky is dark, so I'm trying to get home as fast as possible.

I'm ready to turn left into Ghatkopar, and am on the left most lane with my indicator blinking.

Suddenly out of nowhere, a grey Sumo swerves in front of me and hits a rickshaw. The brake pedal is now as good as a part of my anatomy, and I'm scared it's gonna break through the floor of my car. Just then my attention is diverted to the rickshaw that has been flung into the air, spins, and then slams down roof first [sideways]...

Many expellitives later, I pull the car to the side and park it. Take my cellphone and wallet, get out, and lock the doors. Bloody window's still open. Pray that no one will steal anything or the car, go to do my social duty as a doc. I reach the scene, the driver of the sumo is crying, a mob has gathered. I move towards the rickshaw and call out to some bystanders to help me lift it and steer it to the shoulder of the road.

After this was done, I notice there was another man screaming and brandishing his fists as if he was going to take a blow at the driver of the sumo. Apparently his red Karizma was hit, and flew a few meters away. Luckily the man had parked the bike and was relieving himself on the side of the road.

I glance at the rickshaw driver, he's fine...enquire if there were any passengers in the rickshaw, just 1, a woman, she walked away with a sprained ankle and had already caught another rickshaw and had left. I then walk over to the driver of the sumo, he's still crying, check to see if he's hurt in anyway. There was a passenger in the sumo too, a woman, she's absolutely fine, just terrified that the driver would get thrashed by the mob present.

Then the most unexpected thing happened. The rider of the Karizma started screaming at me as if I had anything to do with the accident. ???? Turns out there was a Tata Ace which had rear ended the sumo causing the driver to loose control. The rider of the Karizma thought I was a truck driver??? I glanced at myself to check what I was wearing...CK jeans, a designer shirt and a watch that costs more than his stupid bike!

He starts swearing at me and insults my family. I stay mum, up to the point that he got in my face. Not able to bear him anymore, I strike him right in the maxilla. The man is now on the floor. It's my turn now, [I had just realised that i had forgotten all about the fact that if I didn't have good brakes or ABS, I would have collided with the sumo. This man is screaming about his Karizma??? What the hell! What I drive is exponentially more expensive. Besides he should be happy his bladder saved him!]

The man picks himself off his feet and stares at me, I just told him to bugger off before anything serious happens. Then I motion to the driver of the sumo to leave. It seemed like the mob there stood silent only due to my presence, else the poor guy would have had a taste of mob justice. Waited for the sumo to leave, then walk back to my car, and left.

Witnessing this has affected me quite a bit, as I was doing speeds well above the limit, and was lucky to be safe. Also I saw this rickshaw flip right in front of me. I escaped by a few inches. That's all, INCHES! I'm 21 and in Med school. I have my whole life and career ahead of me. This has put life in a whole new perspective for me...

OT: It was wrong of me to hit that guy, but it's just crazy when people start accusing you, or threatening you for no apparent reason. This is what I hate about India. It's not the first time this has happened. I feel it's my duty to help those in peril, and hence have helped quite a few accident vicitims. Either the bystanders harrass you, or the cops do! Why can't we just allow someone to help another in need? Should there be any alterior motive behind this?

To quote an incident some months ago, a woman was hit by a BEST bus near Powai Vihar
Cop : Thera kya lena dena hai isse?
Me: Kuch nahi, I'm a medical student, gadi tha tho mein hospital lekhe aya.
Cop: Phir rokha kyun? Jante hai kya isko? Tere saath koi nahi hai, Ladiki ko aisai samala kya? Chalo Police Station aao kuch dher wait karna padega udar. Kuch phorms vagera hai phill karne keliye.
Me: Lost my temper at the cop, he recieved a much needed dose and a suspension for speaking to me like that.

????? I helped a woman who was bleeding on the side of the road, took her to the nearest hospital in my car!! What the hell do the cops mean by what do I have to gain out of it!!! In fact it took a long time to get the blood stains out of my damn car!!! Besides what does he think? Someone is going to take advantage of an injured woman? Also I made it clear that I was a doc what then is his problem?

In a very frustrated and confused state:
DocG

PS: Is it still worth helping others? I love doing my job, but being harrassed like this repeatedly takes its toll on a person...In fact just to help those in need, I have an uber well stocked first aid kit in my car. I have almost everything I need to provide the best first aid in there save a splint [getting that soon]...
Old 18th September 2008, 14:09   #1024
BHPian

Pics: BMW 5 Series Accident in Delhi

Happened on the 11th of this month but haven't seen it in TBHP, so posted it.

12th September 2008

Two young men were seriously injured when a BMW car hit their motorcycle near the Moolchand flyover in South Delhi in the early hours of Thursday. While one of the victims now is battling for life at the All-India Institute of Medical Sciences, the other is stated to be out of danger.
The accident took place around 2-45 a.m. when Anuj Aditya, who is pursuing a course in animation, and his friend Mrigank Srivastava, who works as a freelance journalist with a television news channel, were on their way home after watching a late night show of the film “Rock On!!” at PVR Saket. The two were on Lala Lajpat Rai Marg near the Bus Rapid
Transport corridor when the BMW car hit their motorcycle.

Anuj and Mrigank fell on the road. While Anuj sustained grievous injuries in the head and chest, Mrigank escaped with a leg injury. The left portion of the car was badly damaged due to the impact of the collision. The occupants of the vehicle abandoned it near a petrol pump after it stalled and fled.

The injured were rushed to the Trauma Centre of AIIMS where Anuj was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit. Mrigank would undergo surgery on Friday. Through the Haryana registration number of the car the police found that it was registered in the name of Golden Rolls Private Limited at Sonepat in Haryana. The company is owned by Narendra Kumar Bhasin, who is presently on a business trip to China. The industrialist lives in Punjabi Bagh here with his father S.R. Bhasin, 20-year-old son Utsav, a management student, and young daughter.

Deputy Commissioner of Police (South Delhi) H. G. S. Dhaliwal said: “We have registered a case of accident based on the daily diary entry. The statement of the victims will be recorded once they are declared fit by the doctors. We are trying to find out who was driving the vehicle at the time of the accident.”

The police are planning to question Utsav suspecting that he was driving the vehicle and his sister was also with him.
However, Utsav’s grandfather told the media that he did not know where he was at night and that he came to know about the accident in the morning.

Enquiries by the police revealed that Anuj’s father is a doctor and lives in neighbouring Ghaziabad. While Anuj lives in South Delhi, Mrigank is from Ghaziabad.

UPDATE on 16th September 2008

Utsav Bhasin, a 19-year-old man accused of killing a person with a BMW car, has been booked under a stringent legal provision -- similar to the one under which Sanjeev Nanda was convicted, Delhi police told the High court on Tuesday.

The city police informed the court that it had imposed the stringent Section 304 of IPC (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) against Bhasin after the accident victim, succumbed to his injuries on September 12. An offence under this section is nonbailable.

"We have amended the FIR and have added Section 304 against the accused. Now it is for the trial court to decide under which section he is to be prosecuted," counsel appearing for the city police submitted before Justice Veena Birbal.

The court then asked the police to take appropriate action against the accused. "You (Police) can always arrest him (Bhasin). It a non-bailable offence. The respondent (Bhasin) can approach the court for bail," Justice Birbal said while asking the police and the accused to file their replies on the petition filed by Rajender Singh, the father of the deceased seeking cancellation of Bhasin's bail granted by police.

Advocate Vinod Tyagi, appearing for Singh contended that the accused, who is a son of a Haryana industrialist, is trying to influence witnesses and pleaded that he should be restrained from moving out of Delhi. Bhasin, however, refuted the allegation and said that he cannot fly out of the country as his passport has already been seized by the police.
Source: The Hindu, Hindustan Times
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2008091261830301.jpg  

Last edited by Brabus E V12 : 18th September 2008 at 14:21.
Old 18th September 2008, 14:15   #1025
BHPian

it defenitely is not a 3 series
its a 5 series and BMW cars are always on news .
even in kochin BMW cars are in news for wrong reasons.
I dont think they need to advertise much!

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th September 2008 at 15:37.
Old 18th September 2008, 14:20   #1026
BHPian

Pic: BMW 7 Series Accident in Delhi

Whats with Delhi and BMWs? Now we have a 7 series smash!
Obviously the car was being "driven" by the driver and not the owner!

14th September 2008

In another accident involving a BMW car, two persons were injured at the Kasturba Gandhi Marg on Sunday. According to the police, a married couple who were on their motorcycle collided with a BMW 7-series car.
“The car was coming from Connaught Place and was at the Kasturba Gandhi Marg. A motorcycle, which was coming from the Feroz Shah Road, collided with the car at the crossing,” said a senior police officer.
The victims, Tarun and Anita, were immediately rushed to the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital. Tarun was later released after receiving first aid. His wife, who has received serious head and neck injuries, will be kept in hospital for observation.

According to sources, Rupesh, a hired driver, was driving the car when the accident took place. The police officials have taken him for questioning. The owner of the BMW car, Varun Malhotra, said that the driver was driving the car at a permissible speed. They also alleged that the traffic lights at the crossing were not working at the time of the accident. “My driver was driving the car while me and my friend were sitting in the back seat. The bike was coming from the side at a high speed. The lights too were not working, and this confusion led to the accident,” said Malhotra.

The police have registered a case against the driver for rash and negligent driving. They have also impounded the car.

Source: Hindustan Times
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-n15974.jpg  

Old 18th September 2008, 15:02   #1027
Senior - BHPian

It is a simple straight forward accident. It has been highlighted as the vehicle involved in a high profile one.

There are many many accidents happening each day in Delhi / India. Had this been an say an Esteem, I am sure it'd not have got the attention it got.

Only those which have a high profile car or person involved get highlighted. BMW's being the media favourites since the Sanjeev Nanda Hit & Run case in '99

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th September 2008 at 15:37. Reason: Smiley removed from quoted post.
Old 18th September 2008, 15:25   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
It is a simple straight forward accident. It has been highlighted as the vehicle involved in a high profile one.

There are many many accidents happening each day in Delhi / India. Had this been an say an Esteem, I am sure it'd not have got the attention it got.

Only those which have a high profile car or person involved get highlighted. BMW's being the media favourites since the Sanjeev Nanda Hit & Run case in '99

Exactly, in this even the victims were not badly injured. Its the media creating unwanted sensation for such a small news only beacause a luxury car is involved. Why don't they make news in this hipe for the accidents caused by devil like driving of Delhi tranport buses. In such cases the victims are very badly hurt/injured or even led to the death. This is unacceptable action from the medias .
Old 18th September 2008, 15:29   #1029
Team-BHP Support

For a change how about intense media spot light on this news
Speeding bus kills 15 in Bihar-India-The Times of India

Quote:

Speeding bus kills 15 in Bihar

SITAMARHI: At least 15 persons were killed and 17 others injured when a speeding bus ploughed through a group of people watching a roadside cultural show at a village in Bihar's Sitamarhi district
Old 18th September 2008, 15:38   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Good work Docg, but for the first incident you should have waited for the police to come, the karizma guy should not involve you later into a police case for insurance claims.
Old 18th September 2008, 15:43   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmust View Post
Exactly, in this even the victims were not badly injured. Its the media creating unwanted sensation for such a small news only beacause a luxury car is involved. Why don't they make news in this hipe for the accidents caused by devil like driving of Delhi tranport buses. In such cases the victims are very badly hurt/injured or even led to the death. This is unacceptable action from the medias .

I guess the Media does highlight these accidents as they invlove exotics. Its the same reason that we guys click pictures and post them on various threads on TBHP. We love exotics and want to know mostly anything and everything connected with them.

I don't think anyone on TBHP wants to see an exotic involved in an accident, we'd rather see them in a normal state. Accidents or not, we guys never mind looking at a picture of an exotic. That is the reason this was my 3rd accident thread.

There are so many road accidents in India that it would not be possible for the Media to cover them all. So naturally they cover the ones which are hard for people to find out/relate to, like the exotic ones.
Old 18th September 2008, 16:29   #1032
BANNED

Irony is the exotic is the central story then the accident itself.
Old 22nd September 2008, 00:11   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Wrecked Hyundai Santro and Getz!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc01240.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc01239.jpg
Old 22nd September 2008, 02:33   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Good work Docg, but for the first incident you should have waited for the police to come, the karizma guy should not involve you later into a police case for insurance claims.
Thanks for the kind words and advice. However it's not the police that worry me. It's just the fact that people never seem to be able to put others before themselves.

WRT to the 7 series, from the pic, it looks as though the bike collided with the car, and not the other way around. Look at the dent in the front fender. The headlights seem to be intact, as well as the front bumper...

WRT to the 5 series and the 19 year old. Sure it's easy to point a finger at the kid and say it was his irresponsibility that lead to the accident. However it's also quite possible that the bikers were at fault. How many times has it happened to you that some biker cuts right in front of you, somehow expecting you to slow down? [happens to me everyday! Todays biker story, 2 guys on a platina try to out accelerate me speed breaker to speed breaker...I don't bother myself with these things, so I let them go ahead. The speed with which they mount the breaker, god it always scares me]

cheers:
PS: Isn't it interesting that Nanda had his accident at the age of 19 too...Food for thought
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:50   #1035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post

WRT to the 5 series and the 19 year old. Sure it's easy to point a finger at the kid and say it was his irresponsibility that lead to the accident. However it's also quite possible that the bikers were at fault. How many times has it happened to you that some biker cuts right in front of you, somehow expecting you to slow down? [happens to me everyday! Todays biker story, 2 guys on a platina try to out accelerate me speed breaker to speed breaker...I don't bother myself with these things, so I let them go ahead. The speed with which they mount the breaker, god it always scares me]

cheers:
PS: Isn't it interesting that Nanda had his accident at the age of 19 too...Food for thought

Are you sure Nanda was 19? I thought he was about 24-25 at that time. Anyways how does it matter!

Regarding the 19 yr old kid, Ive seen a group made on facebook supporting him where they say that the bikers were drunk, coming the wrong side and were not wearing any helmets, so its not his(BMW guy) mistake that one of them died. And that the Police and Media are victimising him because he is rich.

I have no clue how much that is true as the group is made up of the BMW guy's friends. Anyone has any info about this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks