Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2012, 11:04   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane

This could be OT: It was my dream to own Swift from past one year after reading reviews of all others cars. But this thread made me to change my decision. I did not want to take chances on BRAKES.

Instead of going for Swift VDi(my budget does not allow to go for ZDi), I booked Ford Figo TDCi Titanium for the same price of swift's and got delivery the next day. I did extensive research is various forums and reviews to arrive at this decision. What I got more than Swift is ABS, Airbags, Alloy Wheels, good music system with bluetooth, rear defogger & wiper, big boot space. Also got leather seat covers & parking sensors as free. No waiting period.
But I missed out great looks of Swift, mileage & good service network. I assume Figo' s handling & stability to be at par with Swift, yet to test her.
I also knew that Face lift Figo test mule is running in Chennai, but fearing increase in excise duty on diesel cars any time made me to buy immediately.
Note: I am not advertising figo here.
Congrats on getting the Figo. Are you sure you got free leather seat covers? I would suspect they are artificial leather or PU seat covers.
Old 1st July 2012, 15:52   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict

Congrats on getting the Figo. Are you sure you got free leather seat covers? I would suspect they are artificial leather or PU seat covers.
Thanks and Yes, they are Vinyl seat covers, artificial leather. Looks & feel are like leather and hence mentioned as leather seat covers.
Loving the handling & brakes of Figo. But the initial movement is not as great as swift and engine is not so much refined as swift.
Attached Images

Old 2nd July 2012, 13:53   #243
Senior - BHPian

Re: Attention: New Maruti Suzuki Swift Brake Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
This could be OT: It was my dream to own Swift from past one year after reading reviews of all others cars. But this thread made me to change my decision. I did not want to take chances on BRAKES.

Instead of going for Swift VDi(my budget does not allow to go for ZDi), I booked Ford Figo TDCi Titanium for the same price of swift's and got delivery the next day. I did extensive research is various forums and reviews to arrive at this decision. What I got more than Swift is ABS, Airbags, Alloy Wheels, good music system with bluetooth, rear defogger & wiper, big boot space. Also got leather seat covers & parking sensors as free. No waiting period.
But I missed out great looks of Swift, mileage & good service network. I assume Figo' s handling & stability to be at par with Swift, yet to test her.
I also knew that Face lift Figo test mule is running in Chennai, but fearing increase in excise duty on diesel cars any time made me to buy immediately.
Note: I am not advertising figo here.
Congrats on your purchase buddy, this is one nice purchase, the Figo is no nounsense diesel car. In terms of Diesel we have good cars, where as in petrol no one can beat the K series maruti engine in therms of fuel efficiency and smoothness. Diesel well the fiat, tata and maruti share the same engine.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 16:42   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

My wife is keen on the Brio, but I've been encouraging her to stay with Maruti for her next car switch (because of the service network) and to go for a Swift instead. But after reading about the brake issues, will certainly show her this thread and ask her not to buy a Swift! A big thanks to all those who have posted about their brake issues!
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 17:04   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m
But after reading about the brake issues, will certainly show her this thread and ask her not to buy a Swift!
Brio is better than Swift petrol in terms of roll on speeds, shoot from 0 - 100kmph, interiors and overall quality. Moreover you get "Honda" premium badge. Go for it ! In case if your wify's driving is more than 40 kms per day, you can wait for Brio Diesel which could be launched by Diwali.
Old 10th July 2012, 21:31   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

I am late to report this but I had a horrifying experience when I intended to help a newbie driver reverse his new swift Vxi. This happened long back, somewhere in february.

It was my cousins marriage and one of her invitee had purchased a new swift vxi. He had brought it to the venue and had parked it in a slightly tricky space. Another cousin of mine had parked his car behind the swift in such a way that it was just an inch or two in the path of the swift. Accidentally, he had locked the car with the keys inside. So the car couldn't be moved until we got hold of the spare key. The swift was in a state where it could have been taken out comfortably. However, I observed that this guest could not do so, even after trying for five or more minutes. My cousin and I saw this and went to offer help, as the mistake was on my brothers side for leaving the keys inside. I tell him to look out while I take the keys to find a huge relief in the owner, who was unknown to us.

That was the first time I tried the new swift. It cranked smoothly and the engine was super silent and refined compared to the older version. I was quite confident in taking the car out in one go. I release the handbrake, and the car started moving on its own due to a slope. So I press the pedal once and slowly release it to let the car move again. Next time I release the brake, the pedal got harder. I checked if engine was running, and it was. Let go of the pedal and the pedal wont go back in! :O For the first time in my life, driving various cars right from a nano to an audi, this was the most frightening experience. I had to literally stand on the brake pedal to stop the car. After that, controlling the car became very troublesome. The car will take its own time to stop. Even in our omni, a slight push of the pedal using the toe provides enough power to stop at lkw speeds. I removed the car and brought it onto the road abd asked the owner how he used to brake all these days. He had no clue that the brakes were really hard and felt that it was normal. I explained booster etc and told him to get it immediately checked. I really did not want to give him a damaged new car in the pretext of offering help. If this is the case everytime, then the car is a real hazard. Back then, I thought that his car had a faulty booster. Only after seeing this thread, I understood it's a common problem.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 21:49   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
That was the first time I tried the new swift. It cranked smoothly and the engine was super silent and refined compared to the older version. I was quite confident in taking the car out in one go. I release the handbrake, and the car started moving on its own due to a slope. So I press the pedal once and slowly release it to let the car move again. Next time I release the brake, the pedal got harder. I checked if engine was running, and it was. Let go of the pedal and the pedal wont go back in! :O For the first time in my life, driving various cars right from a nano to an audi, this was the most frightening experience. I had to literally stand on the brake pedal to stop the car. After that, controlling the car became very troublesome.
this is a common problem with all new petrol swifts, dzire & ertiga. The engine does not produce sufficient vacuum at low rpm and hence the brake booster doesnt work. This is the same issue in case of the car being driven at lower speeds, say 1st gear @ 5 kmph, the brakes become soo rock hard that you need to depress the clutch completely for the brakes to be effective once again.
MutantX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 12:32   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the problem non existent at high speeds? If so then a relief. Else by now we would have seen a lot of crashed swifts. If problem is related to vacuum shortage, then it must be more prominent in the Z versions as the bigger boosters need more vacuum right?
Old 17th July 2012, 18:04   #249

Is there any difference in Boosters between Zdi and other models?(for Old dzire and Old swift)
Old 17th July 2012, 20:00   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalcute
Is there any difference in Boosters between Zdi and other models?(for Old dzire and Old swift)
Read in this thread that Zdi's got larger brake boosters than VDi's. Also previous gen Vdis had larger brake boosters. Please go 7-8 pages back in this thread and you may find helpful posts by new swift owners.
Old 18th July 2012, 10:54   #251
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I do not know what is the root cause of the brake issue, but for sure I know this is not present in other cars who employ the same priciple/ system of braking. Also after driving the i10 I found its brake to much more confidence inspiring than the Swifit.

Any way I had a word with Ravi Shankar Service manager of Bimal Bangalore, as per him Maruti is aware of the Field issue and is working on it (Continous Product Improvement). The ICA (Interim corrective action) would be to depress the clutch fully, there by raising the engine speed and use the brakes.

The PCA (Premanent Corrective action) would be out soon and all the vehicles would then be recalled to carry out the PCA.
Old 23rd July 2012, 10:08   #252
BHPian

Now it is in the media as well - Forbes India Magazine - The New Maruti Swift's Brakes Don’t Work

Shame on you Maruti
lloydofcochin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 09:03   #253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Now it is in the media as well - Forbes India Magazine - The New Maruti Swift's Brakes Don’t Work

Shame on you Maruti
No prices for guessing where the reporter got data for the article:

Quote:
Puzzled customers who complain at the dealership are told to register the complaint directly with Maruti. The total number of consumer complaints, which you can pick up from car enthusiast forums, runs into the hundreds.

Old 25th July 2012, 17:12   #254
BHPian

So I got delivery of my Silver Dzire Vxi on the 18th of July 2012 and this brake issue has happened thrice so far.

Has anyone managed to get it resolved with Maruti? If it's an issue caused by a vacuum, a quick fix shouldn't be such a major problem for MSIL.

It's the only irritating thing about an otherwise wonderful car!
TheSandman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 05:57   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman
So I got delivery of my Silver Dzire Vxi on the 18th of July 2012 and this brake issue has happened thrice so far.

Has anyone managed to get it resolved with Maruti? If it's an issue caused by a vacuum, a quick fix shouldn't be such a major problem for MSIL.

It's the only irritating thing about an otherwise wonderful car!
I hope none. Kiran, aka moralfiber + many others have got a call from maruti to discuss. Maruti already has a solution. Follow that and you will be all right.

Most Viewed