Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2014, 14:38   #301
BHPian

Re: Attention: New Maruti Suzuki Swift Brake Issue

Thanks for the input everyone. I faced similar issue on Friday and noticed RMP value at very same moment. I don't think there was substantial drop indicated by RPM Needle. Tachometer needle was somewhere between 750 to 1000 RPM - which I felt was similar to RPM count when engine is at idle (with AC on).

But I will get other things checked and will post the reply post taking car to service center.

Thanks.
Old 10th May 2014, 18:06   #302
BHPian

Update from my side - Last Saturday, I took my car to Maruti Service Center @ Andheri. Service advisor (SA) took a test drive to identify issue. He acknowledged the break issue at slow speed and told me that software upgrade should resolve this issue. He asked me to take an appointment on Wednesday.

Wednesday I took my car again to service center for 30 K servicing as well as for break issue repairs. SA informed me that they will be taking car to Maruti office at Bandra Kurla complex where Brake software would be updated. I got a call in the evening that software update has been complete and I can collect my car in the evening.

Post servicing and software update, I have done around 100 KMs in the car. But so far it seems the issue has been resolved. I would still be monitoring slow speed brake effectiveness for few more kms.
Old 21st May 2014, 13:42   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I own a two year old Dzire ZXi (new shortened version with KB12 engine) and recently I have started facing issues with brake while driving in bumper to bumper traffic. My total running in the car so far is 27500 Kms and majority of time (95%) car has been driven by me.

From past 2-3 months, I have noticed that while driving in bumper to bumper traffic (when AC is on), brake pedal gets hard and braking ability gets reduced. It’s more evident when there is heavy traffic at any signal and car needs to be driven in first / second gear with partial clutch and brake pedal needs to be applied multiple times. At such applications of multiple brake pedal, brakes gets hardened and braking ability is reduced. When car is turned off and brake pedal is pushed continuously, the way brake pedal gets hard, it’s a similar feeling only difference being this time, car engine is still running. If clutch is depressed full, then brake pedal comes to normal behavior in couple of seconds. It’s really a scary experience.
Quote:
Have you noticed the rpm on the tacho when you experienced this issue? Is it falling below the idle rpm? Since you have a ZXi, it is more likely a worn out part. See if you can check the rpm by trying it in free stretches somewhere. Please let us know after you visit the MASS regarding the wear and tear on the brake pads.

Question to the experts: In an ABS equipped car, will the brakes for all tyres get compromised if the brake pads for one of the wheels is worn out? Will the ABS/EBD module reduce the brake force to other wheels if one wheel is not slowing down sufficiently in order to prevent locking by other wheels?
Faced the same issue yesterday night while returning from office. The conditions were:
  • Bumper to bumper traffic
  • A/C was on

Car: Maruti Suzuki Swift ZXi

I noticed that the RPM did not venture below the idle RPM. The problem vanished when I revved the engine. It even occurred at speeds between 40-50kmph.

Dropped it to the MASS. They did a brake test. The problem did not come up again. Asked specifically for a ECU software update after being appraised of the issue from this thread.

They asked me how did I come to know of the ECU update. Told them it was hot topic in the internet.

The service adviser informed me that only the MSIL people would be able to do the update and they will check with MSIL whether our car was produced in the batch which had this issue and update it if it was.

I don't whether this is true. Waiting for the comments.
Old 3rd June 2014, 16:04   #304
BHPian

Update to the issue mentioned above

My SA called me soon after I had dropped the car to the Service station saying that they will update the ECU software, but the delivery will be delayed by a day since the update is to be performed by the MSIL Regional office located at Vittal Mallya road.

Have completed 500 kilometers after the service. Driven in all kind of conditions:
  • Slow speed traffic with A/C on
  • Slow speed without A/C
  • Normal speeds with and without A/C

Haven't faced the issue again.
Auswechseln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 12:42   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auswechseln View Post
Faced the same issue yesterday night while returning from office. The conditions were:
Car: Maruti Suzuki Swift ZXi
I thought this issue would occur ONLY for the LXi and VXi which do not have an ABS. ZXI would not be affected. Or this is an entirely new problem??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auswechseln View Post
... Service station saying that they will update the ECU software, but the delivery will be delayed by a day since the update is to be performed by the MSIL Regional office located at Vittal Mallya road.
Auswechseln are you experiencing a Placebo effect :-) ??
Or this is an entirely new issue that afflicts the ZXi trims??

Nonetheless, this continues to be shady/underhand behavior on part of the manufacturer. Especially for a critical function like bring a vehicle to stop!!
Old 8th June 2014, 14:44   #306
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
I thought this issue would occur ONLY for the LXi and VXi which do not have an ABS. ZXI would not be affected. Or this is an entirely new problem??
As to what I have understood of the problem being faced is, the brake booster is not able to refill the pressure once the pedal is released.

The ECU is not able to maintain the RPM above stalling zone (idle RPM) so as to the booster to re-pressurize the system.

Anurag.
Old 8th June 2014, 16:49   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Auswechseln are you experiencing a Placebo effect :-) ??
Or this is an entirely new issue that afflicts the ZXi trims??
I had this exact thought for some time, that's why I tried driving it in all conditions. Have got the number of the MSIL representative from the service station as well.

If I face the situation again (hopefully not), have no option but to escalate it to Maruti authorities.
Old 12th June 2014, 17:08   #308
BANNED

I face the breaking issue when I apply half clutch and brake at the same time, especially while reversing. Will the ECU upgrade resolve the issue?
Old 12th June 2014, 17:54   #309
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I face the breaking issue when I apply half clutch and brake at the same time, especially while reversing. Will the ECU upgrade resolve the issue?
Isn't this temporary brake fade due to heat developing as the brakes are pressed a bit while reversing?

Anurag.
Old 12th June 2014, 19:10   #310
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Isn't this temporary brake fade due to heat developing as the brakes are pressed a bit while reversing?

Anurag.
Not sure, but at most of the times, I am able to reproduce the issue. The issue is happening not only while reversing, but in first gear also. If I press the clutch fully, the brakes are fine.

Planning to give it for service and check with them.
Old 15th July 2014, 17:31   #311
BHPian

Hi Folks,

My 2012 Swift Vxi has a braking issue and just as i was about to create a new thread came across this one so posting here.

In very slow moving traffic with the AC ON and as i am lugging in 2nd gear at very slow pace the brake suddenly goes off . Literally as in OFF , it becomes rock hard and doesnt stop. Similar to when the ignition is off . I have experienced this most in summer when in heavy traffic at B2B traffic. I almost hit the front vehicle if i hadnt used the hand brake It again becomes normal after gaining some speed. Has this issue been experienced by any Swift owner so far. Is this a known issue? I have a servicing due this month so any tips or suggestions would be helpful so that i can take this up with the service engineer at Maruti.

Last edited by Pheonix : 15th July 2014 at 17:32.
Old 15th July 2014, 20:08   #312
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Hi Folks,
In very slow moving traffic with the AC ON and as i am lugging in 2nd gear at very slow pace the brake suddenly goes off . Literally as in OFF , it becomes rock hard and doesnt stop. Similar to when the ignition is off
When lugging in second gear are you lightly pressing the brake pedal and holding it? To modulate the pressure I mean.

Anurag.
Old 15th July 2014, 20:25   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
In very slow moving traffic with the AC ON and as i am lugging in 2nd gear at very slow pace the brake suddenly goes off . Literally as in OFF , it becomes rock hard and doesnt stop.
Next time, in a safe place, try hitting the brakes when in neutral driving at similar speeds where you have faced the issue.

I don't think this will have anything to do with your speeds and rather the engine RPMs only. If you experience same Hard pedal even in neutral, it is certainly your car's Brake Booster and the Master Cylinder set-up that is not providing enough "Boost" to reduce your effort of pressing that Pedal to bring the car to halt.
Old 16th July 2014, 12:46   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
When lugging in second gear are you lightly pressing the brake pedal and holding it? To modulate the pressure I mean.

Anurag.
Anurag,to put it precisely the brake doesn't work as in normal conditions at all , as i press it it becomes hard, my foot doesn't go down at all even if i apply high pressure and only halts with use of handbrake after it gains some RPM it works fine again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
If you experience same Hard pedal even in neutral, it is certainly your car's Brake Booster and the Master Cylinder set-up that is not providing enough "Boost" to reduce your effort of pressing that Pedal to bring the car to halt.
Yes paragsachania, the issue looks more with RPM rather than speed less than 1100 maybe . Can you pls give more details on Brake booster as i thought it would be available only for cars with ABS and mine isn't.

I checked some forums and was surprised to find this is a known issue since the new gen model was released with 2012 batch of cars and some sites have even reported that MASS has resolved this issue with an ECU software upgrade. Below the references

http://www.carblogindia.com/new-maru...roblem-solved/

http://www.cartoq.com/maruti-fixes-s...aking-problem/

Would be great if anyone has personally experienced and got this rectified as well by MASS ?

Will be taking this up with service guys this weekend
Old 20th July 2014, 17:13   #315
BHPian

I have heard a lot about this issue, but have never faced it.
(to be frank, I've been taking a bit of precaution)

When moving at speeds of the bumper to bumper traffic, try to keep it on the 1st gear.

Taking off from the 1st gear is much engine friendly than from the 2nd gear.

You may have noticed that when the car starts moving from a halt and when you don't press the accelerator pedal, the rpm drops a bit, from its usual ~800-900;
and suddenly rises to ~1100 as soon as you press the clutch again, and then settles back to its normal 800-900 rpm.

This same thing if done in 2nd gear, the rpm drops more, which may sometimes stall the engine. To prevent stalling we have to accelerate. Not good for the engine.

As soon as you halt, put it to neutral, and take the leg off the brake and put on the hand brake. (Avoid waiting with the brake pedal pressed).

Avoid pumping the brake pedal when moving at crawling speeds.

Foresee the situation and press the brake gently. Try and avoid to slam the brakes.

If possible, try to judge the braking by the car ahead of the car in front of you. (may sound a bit stupid, but it really helps in traffic conditions)

I do not have sufficient knowledge about the braking of the car, but there are somethings like the booster and vacuum pump and stuff.
All I know is they do their job when the revs are above 900-1000.

The above are the tips and tricks which I have tried and have worked for me.
I do not take the responsibility in-case they do not work for anyone else.

Most Viewed