Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2014, 21:21   #316
BHPian

Re: Attention: New Maruti Suzuki Swift Brake Issue

Guys, is the problem of inadequate braking still exists in the newer batches of the petrol trims of Swift i.e. VXi and Lxi?
Maruti dealerships only have the top end Zxi for TD and upon asking about the brake issue in L and V variant, they simply refuse to admit any.

Of all the Swifts and Dzire I see on road, 90% are VDI/VXI.

Another question, does the updated Swift likely to get an improvement on the same issue?
Old 11th April 2015, 08:16   #317
Team-BHP Support

Something that I missed until now, the refreshed Swift that was launched in September 2014 now sports ABS as standard on the VDi variant. Talk about silently fixing the perceived braking issue that we reported .

Atleast the newer Swift will be safer to drive than the older one.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 11:27   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Atleast the newer Swift will be safer to drive than the older one.
Applicable only for the diesels, probably because the higher torque creates more situations that demand better braking!
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 13:14   #319
Distinguished - BHPian

We have a October 2014 manufactured Dzire VXi. It has already run 11k kms till today(six months old) and driven extensively in various conditions. However I haven't found problems with its brakes in any condition be it highways or slow moving traffic. Of course the bite isn't comparable with my SX4 but definitely sufficient enough.

However I should state that I had to park a 2012 swift petrol VXi on an incline when it was brand new and I had to literally stand on the brakes to make it work. It was like there was no assist from the booster. I guess they solved the problem later. No idea about the diesel but going by the move to include ABS(with a bigger booster and brake assist) shows that braking was indeed inadequate.

Last edited by audioholic : 11th April 2015 at 13:15.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 17:55   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
We have a October 2014 manufactured Dzire VXi. It has already run 11k kms till today(six months old) and driven extensively in various conditions. However I haven't found problems with its brakes in any condition be it highways or slow moving traffic. Of course the bite isn't comparable with my SX4 but definitely sufficient enough.

However I should state that I had to park a 2012 swift petrol VXi on an incline when it was brand new and I had to literally stand on the brakes to make it work. It was like there was no assist from the booster. I guess they solved the problem later. No idea about the diesel but going by the move to include ABS(with a bigger booster and brake assist) shows that braking was indeed inadequate.
Hi, yes, that is true, there is some adjustment issue with the ECU because of which the booster doesnt respond at lower speeds (ie, below 20) when the AC is on.

I had the same issue, and a simple fix was turning off the AC while parking or in low speed traffic while keeping distance from the car at front. This, went on for a few months before I approached Vitesse with a written complaint and they kept my car for about 48 hours & volla! its fixed, been 2 years now & the problem hasnt cropped up again. Touchwood!
Old 2nd May 2016, 23:52   #321
Senior - BHPian

I am facing this issue intermittently in my 2014 Ritz Zxi. Sometimes even at speeds much higher than 20 kmph when coming down a flyover without any throttle input. However if I pump the brake it's fine then . Really worried about this . Has anyone faced this in a zxi variant ?
Old 5th May 2016, 13:57   #322
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I am facing this issue intermittently in my 2014 Ritz Zxi. Sometimes even at speeds much higher than 20 kmph when coming down a flyover without any throttle input. However if I pump the brake it's fine then . Really worried about this . Has anyone faced this in a zxi variant ?
I couldn't find the issue on my 2013 Ritz ZDi.

Did you checked with the dealer?
Old 5th May 2016, 14:13   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
If there is no throttle input and if you are coming down the flyover in gear(say third or fourth) there should be enough vacuum for the brake pedal to sink in with the least pressure.

Next time you come down a flyover, check if this happens when the engine is running above 1k RPM. If the brake is still hard, then you have a different problem. However, if you lug the engine and then try braking, then yes the brake will be relatively hard. Dont do this.
Old 6th May 2016, 09:49   #324
Senior - BHPian

My dealer MASS in Kolkata said that there is a 'HBD update ' which requires to be done however no one here has that. I am currently en route to Bangalore in the car. Have reached Visakhapatnam and the car behaved flawlessly. Will give it for servicing when I get there and will speak to them about the update.
Old 29th May 2017, 15:46   #325
BHPian

I guess I am reviving this topic after a hiatus, but I did not find much on the Swift (Dzire) Zxi/Zdi. I find mine to be pathetic and have had some instances where I had to literally stand on the pedal to get the car to halt! This sounds eerily like the Vxi/Vdi instances quoted on the thread. I am specifically talking about braking here (using the pedal) and not driving technique(s).

Although I have been lucky not to face this issue at high speeds, I was wondering what the possible solutions are? Specifically, does MASS address this issue and what are your experiences (in terms of diagnosis and cost of treatment)?
Old 26th September 2017, 17:42   #326
BHPian

Solved it!

I finally found a solution to this eerie problem after a long struggle and here is my story.

Car : Swift LDI

When you step on that pedal at slow speeds, it feels like a rock and the vehicle continues to move. Scary while driving downhill, in bumper to bumper traffic, in a traffic signal, on a speed bump adjacent to school when kids are crossing.

I took it to MS service center, they replaced things one after another. Quite frankly, the entire breaking system.

Trial 1: Checked break oil levels (they look OK, anyway let us top it up)
Result: No improvement

Trial 2: Changed break pads (yeah they might have worn out, well not so badly)

Trial 3: The disc could be problematic. let us put brand new front discs
Result: No improvement, MS guys told me, new discs will take some time for their polish surface to wear and grip well with break pads .

Trial 4: Change the break oil, there could be air lock in the hydraulics

Trial 5: Sir, lets do software fix of engine control unit to correct for rpm dropping too low for the alternator to generate enough vacuum

Trial 6: Let us change the break booster

Trial 7: It has to be then a failing alternator or a faulty vacuum pump. Changed the vacuum pump
Result: Yes it worked.

The actual fault in my case was a faulty vacuum pump, but it is not easy to make that out.

I found a comprehensive information on the topic else where (link).
Hope it helps!
Thermodynamics is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 17:00   #327
BHPian

Not sure if the thread is still active, but still posting my issue:
I have a 2.5 years old Swift ZDi which has done 42k on the ODO. Recently, since after 38k or so, I have been facing clutter noise during braking at high speeds. The clutter is so intense that the bottle/ random stuff in the door pocket starts to make noise due to vibration. I experience this behavior especially while braking from 100+ speeds. The more is the load (no. of people/ cargo) in the car, the more is irritating it is. Brake pads and discs were replaced but still things didn't improve. Any suggestions/ inputs?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks