Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2011, 12:11   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Attention: New Maruti Suzuki Swift Brake Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
Did you have a chance to drive the ZDI on highway??

Please clarify, what you mean by inadequate.
Racer, I meant <ZDi brakes are inadequate. ie, the LDi, and VDi models. I guess thats the problem we are discussing here. Not the inadequacy of the ZDi brakes, which are just fine.
Old 17th October 2011, 12:13   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Racer, I meant <ZDi brakes are inadequate. ie, the LDi, and VDi models. I guess thats the problem we are discussing here. Not the inadequacy of the ZDi brakes, which are just fine.
OOops!! My mistake of not seeing the "<" ZDI sign!!
Old 20th October 2011, 16:05   #93
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone actually reported it & got a response from Maruti?

I would really love to know MUL's reasoning behind knowingly using inadequate brakes on their cars, and discontinuing the V-spec ABS models. And why are there only Z-spec TD cars for the 2011 Swift? Hiding something there, MUL?

Given that majority of the purchases will be V-spec, MUL is risking not only its clientele's lives, but of all road users. But people will still buy blindly, won't they?

"Arrrey bhai, Maruti hai!!". Shame

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th October 2011 at 16:06.
Old 20th October 2011, 16:12   #94
Senior - BHPian

I am using Dzire Vxi for last 2 years +. I felt urgency of braking 2-3 times at some high speed like 80-90 but i never felt problem like this. It was not great experience but it is adequate to stop the car in time. Better you get it checked with MSIL. I guess its odd lemon you got.
Old 20th October 2011, 17:15   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I am using Dzire Vxi for last 2 years +. I felt urgency of braking 2-3 times at some high speed like 80-90 but i never felt problem like this. It was not great experience but it is adequate to stop the car in time. Better you get it checked with MSIL. I guess its odd lemon you got.
This issue is reported on the new Swift and people have already confirmed that earlier V's did not have so much of issue. Almost everyone who has driven a new Swift in L or V trim has complained about the braking. Please go through those feedbacks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Has anyone actually reported it & got a response from Maruti?

I would really love to know MUL's reasoning behind knowingly using inadequate brakes on their cars, and discontinuing the V-spec ABS models. And why are there only Z-spec TD cars for the 2011 Swift? Hiding something there, MUL?

Given that majority of the purchases will be V-spec, MUL is risking not only its clientele's lives, but of all road users. But people will still buy blindly, won't they?

"Arrrey bhai, Maruti hai!!". Shame
Well said Chetan! My uncle has booked a VDi too - when I was compelling to change to ZDi for all these braking issues I am hearing, the response was just a smile on his face. I insisted him to take a test drive of VDi at least, to which he replied - "Even my Alto's brakes are sufficient for my speeds". Such is the blind faith people have on Maruti! Maruti, if you are hearing, please do not take advantage of it - at least no cost cutting and other compromises on safety!
Old 21st October 2011, 01:08   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
If you go through the test drive experiences of fellow bhpians in the official car review, there is just one common echo, "Bad brakes". I haven't driven the ZDi but many posts on this forum confirm that the Z spec has better stopping power compared to the V and L variants.

The Swift simply fails in the braking department
That's very true fact.
Even Z variants features ABS but still they're far behind of Punto or Polo's Non-ABS brakes.
Even Ritz brakes are also much better than Swift, New Swift & Dzire.

I've also booked New Swift ZDi, which is scheduled to be delivered by Jan-Feb2012, but after reading various serious flaws on Swift I'm planning to settle for any other car, probably Polo, Punto or Verito(diesels).
Old 21st October 2011, 10:26   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
That's very true fact.
Even Z variants features ABS but still they're far behind of Punto or Polo's Non-ABS brakes.

I've also booked New Swift ZDi, which is scheduled to be delivered by Jan-Feb2012, but after reading various serious flaws on Swift I'm planning to settle for any other car, probably Polo, Punto or Verito(diesels).
In my humble opinion the brakes on the ZDI are at par with the Puntos or Polos. Besides there are no other serious flaws on the new Swift. Personally I have driven the new VDI (cousins) on the highway and not faced any issues with the braking. Kiran's might be a odd case of the lemon.
Old 21st October 2011, 10:47   #98
BHPian

Like someone pointed out in the earlier threads, i felt the turbocharger was pushing the engine while trying to break, i had driven one of the first VDI's of a friends 3-4 years ago and thats what i had felt and since then i had advised
my friends who were planning to go for LDI/VDI for a tyre upgrade, sad to know that this issue is not yet sorted out.

Is this a way to force more people to go for the premium variant (Z(X|D)I)? I can understand how it feels to have a good diesel engine under your hood (FIAT MJD) and unable utilize all the horses fearing bad breaking :(
Old 21st October 2011, 12:25   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan

That's very true fact.

It's true that there was a bad break problem and the ones are rolling out is perfectly good. As I raised this to my SE he told me to come over for test drive. Let me see and post.
Old 21st October 2011, 12:33   #100
Senior - BHPian

Is the issue of having weak brakes on the L/V variants confined only to the Diesel Swift? Would the petrol version have a similar problem?

Almost all of the comments here relate to the VDi.
Old 21st October 2011, 15:03   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Is the issue of having weak brakes on the L/V variants confined only to the Diesel Swift? Would the petrol version have a similar problem?

Almost all of the comments here relate to the VDi.
Petrol should be better off, as even in the past Maruti upgraded/replaced the brake boosters only in Diesel variants (mainly due to the extra engine weight of the Diesel)
Old 21st October 2011, 15:05   #102
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
One question, when you say vdi has no "brake assist", does it mean there is no "assist" at all. i.e. the heavier your foot, the better the brakes, like old amby and all?
If its the case, its shocking. I think even indica has power assisted brakes, and so do cars like santro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
The New Swift does have a brake booster, All versions have one. 100% confirmed about this.
By any chance will this be a problem in the fuel pump - that it takes more time to stop the fuel supply to the engine during de-acceleration and thereby affecting the braking performance.Correct if I am wrong.

Maruti had tuned the engine components, ECM and hence my doubt.

Old 21st October 2011, 23:12   #103
BHPian

@moralfibre.
I fully agree with your observations. Swift has very poor brakes. I too had many scary moments with my previous generation Vdi, with the old brake booster design. But was not so lucky on my last chance. Even though it was not my mistake I hit a girl aged around 16 at a very low speed @ around 20 Kph. The car never stopped fully even though I applied the brakes very hard. Luckily she was not hurt.
@Dieselfan
I don't understand what engine braking you are talking about in a normal street car and under normal driving conditions. I have heard that in open wheel cars used for racing , the moment you lift will cause the car to lose speed rapidly. Correct me if I am wrong.
thanks
ganeshtvpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 23:21   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
By any chance will this be a problem in the fuel pump - that it takes more time to stop the fuel supply to the engine during de-acceleration and thereby affecting the braking performance.Correct if I am wrong.

Maruti had tuned the engine components, ECM and hence my doubt.

Well in a diesel car, The ECU will not allow the engine to stall as easily as what a petrol car would. So if you are braking from 100 to say 40 in 5th gear, at 40 I think you will be near or below the Idle rpm of the engine. During this phase, the ECU will pump in more fuel to allow the engine to idle and in this bargain if the clutch is not pressed, I ll propel the car forward.

Driving tactics should be changed for a diesel. Firstly push your car on the highway one day and know till what speed in a particular gear is the car revving till.

I ll give you an example of my swift diesel.

I ll leave 1st gear out of the equation as its very short and useless for engine braking.

2nd gear till around 65 kmph,

3rd gear till 85 kmph,

4th gear till 130

5th gear cannot be used for engine braking so we ll leave that too.

5th to 4th can be shifted till around 130 and the engine will slow the car down rapidly, then 3rd can be shifted at 80 from 4th, 3rd to 2nd at around 60.

Depending on situations you can use these downshift speeds to aid the normal brakes.

During Mumbai Lonavala trips, while coming down on the ghats, Engine braking coupled with a slight tap on the brakes during turns is all it takes.
Old 22nd October 2011, 04:26   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
In my humble opinion the brakes on the ZDI are at par with the Puntos or Polos. Besides there are no other serious flaws on the new Swift. Personally I have driven the new VDI (cousins) on the highway and not faced any issues with the braking. Kiran's might be a odd case of the lemon.
Test Driven New Swift ZDi today again, while observing its each & every detail very carefully.
My observations are;
-Looks, Fit & finishing are good.
-Interior dashboard is having good design but its Plastic Quality is really poor as compared to Polo, Punto, Fabia & Micra.
-Plastic panels are really very flimsy with having very fragile feel, especially the Door pads & handles.
-Claustrophobic cabin(even for Driver & front passenger also) as the Window line is still very high further plagued by Dark Coal black Interior shade.
-Engine performance is good with Turbo kicking into action at around 1800Rpm.
-I was Shocked to see that even with 185-section tyres, Swift ride is very light & at 60kmph+ speeds it doesn't inspire any confidence either or maybe In other words, I'm spoiled by the Test Drives of Solid & Pliant ride of European cars.
-Car retardation(Deceleration) due to engine is now better than Old Swift(which always tends to accelerate even while taking the feet above the accelerator pedal).
SE called this some 'Rapid Deceleration technology', which is now introduced into this New Swift.
-Braking performance is good & somehow 'Adequate'in ZDi variant, but I'd still rate Polo, Punto & Micra's brakes better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks