Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:23   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Attention: New Maruti Suzuki Swift Brake Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp
Why am I concerned? Just because I am comparing with Type I generation swift, not with any other hatch. So the new swift expected to be better interms of safety, but I ma not experiencing the same.
Since the Z versions dont have the braking issue as per tbhp review, could it be that the car's driving characteristic is the difference here, since you had a petrol earlier and now driving a diesel ?
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:29   #182
BHPian

i have 2nd gen. swift with k- series engine.
in its specification all version has break assist in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Attention: New Maruti Suzuki Swift Brake Issue-swift-2010.jpg  

nvc_4125 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 07:55   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvc_4125 View Post
i have 2nd gen. swift with k- series engine.
in its specification all version has break assist in it.
Was BA included in all variants after the facelift? How old is your car?

I have a ZDi. I have driven about 2000KMs and I think the braking is just about adequate. I feel the braking doesn't provide enough deceleration. This is with 2 people in the car most times. It feels like there is a bit of fade.

I have given the feedback to MSIL. Will keep you all posted.

Last edited by deetjohn : 28th December 2011 at 08:07. Reason: Adding text.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 12:54   #184
Senior - BHPian

I was so happy the other day i came back with a TD of the new Swift ZDI and was all set to book it - not ZDI but the VDI, i thought maybe the brakes would improve after breaking in for initial owners or Maruti would do something about it but it seems they are only interested in clearing the waiting backlog and not acting upon the issue.

I have TD the Figo Titanium (ABS) and Swift ZDI and have a Linea E pack (ABS) and i can say that even the brakes on the ZDI are nowhere near both the cars, the ZDI was still better off but after having a detailed conversation with Moralfibre and a few other VDI owners on FB - am NOT going ahead with the booking, have asked my friend to do the same and directed him to this very thread.

When the braking is just good enough for ZDI, i can now understand what would it be like on VDI - more so as no one has a VDI for TD so we can check.

A good engine, new interiors and a good reputation alone shouldnt be mis used by any company, i wont comment on pricing as its their affair and they have every right to price the way they want but at 6.4 L OTR for a VDI and not even ABS- leave alone ABS not even good brakes, this is extremely sad and playing with lives of others. People will buy the Swift without even TD and then come to know of it later.

A good engine, great handler, excellent steering is nothing without a set of good brakes, infact i would prefer no fog lamps and integrated indicators on ORVM than sub standard brakes.

You will say i can go for a ZDI but then at 7.5 L OTR for a ZDI, i really cant digest the Swift, it becomes a lot expensive. Its a fun to drive car, extremely impressed by it and only the braking part would make me buy a ZDI, nothing else. 7.5-8.0 i have tons of options and i20 which is a step up in luxury.

Long waiting lists and the undisputed demand has gone way over the heads of maruti folks, sorry if you feel am bashing maruti but they deserve this for compromising over such an important part of a car. What does the VDI have anyway - not even good brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I am comparing the brakes with a Ford Figo ZXi (non-ABS diesel) that my sister owns. Haven't got a chance to test drive another VDI but, Dinar and diesel_power have a VDI and they share my observations. Any other MUL car? I remember the brakes on Amey's old Swift VDI. They were better than this one. You've got to drive it to believe it.
Any course of action you have planned? Anything that can be done to improve the braking as maruti is not helping and terms it as normal. You already upsized the tyres.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 29th December 2011 at 13:08.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 14:08   #185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Any course of action you have planned? Anything that can be done to improve the braking as maruti is not helping and terms it as normal. You already upsized the tyres.
Actually I am a little helpless. I have year end work loaded on me as most of my colleagues are on a vacation so I haven't even had the time to email them. I'm sure they monitor this thread but no action has been taken yet proactively. Guess they are waiting for me to beg and plead to fix the issue.

Car completed 9500 kms yesterday and the brakes are just the same. It'll go in for servicing this weekend and I am taking it on a trip to Konkan with family. I have no choice but to drive way below the capability of the car.

On another note, I posted a link to this thread on their facebook page for the Swift and some PR person gave me the toll free number for their service department.

Sorry coolboy but I think you made a good choice by opting out of a VDI. I haven't yet driven the ZDI but I am told that the braking on that one is much much better.
Old 29th December 2011, 14:27   #186
BHPian

Quote:
I haven't yet driven the ZDI but I am told that the braking on that one is much much better.
You can try my ZDI anytime
Old 29th December 2011, 22:54   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm sure they monitor this thread but no action has been taken yet proactively. Guess they are waiting for me to beg and plead to fix the issue
Would begging and pleading help? Anything that can be done outside Maruti? You cant change discs but aftermarket brake pads that could improve the bite? I know there would be warranty issues but in the present scenario to hell with the warranty, safety cant be risked, especially when the family is there.

Quote:
I have no choice but to drive way below the capability of the car
That negates the whole purpose you must have had when considering Swift, gem of an engine mated with a superb slick gearbox which you cant utilise , any plans on selling the VDI and upgrading to a ZDI? I am sure you wont lose anything significant as we have a good 6-8 months wait on new ones and we have a car with less than 10k on the odo.

Quote:
Sorry coolboy but I think you made a good choice by opting out of a VDI. I haven't yet driven the ZDI but I am told that the braking on that one is much much better.
Going for a TD of the VDI - a friend is a dealer and after a lot of requests he has agreed to give a small drive in the VDI which most probably must be delivered to some one, i know its unethical but i cant do anything, i will treat it like my car, keep it below 2000 rpm and just check the brakes and no abusing like what they do in stockyards. No dealer i called so far have a vdi for TD, all have Zdi and i have already TD it.

Dont feel like doing it and am unsure if i would go for it, he has called me to come around 2-3 Jan and he will let me test one vdi. I will either go for a ZDI or change to something else but let me test the new Vdi.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 29th December 2011 at 23:00.
Old 30th December 2011, 11:29   #188
BHPian

Got my new Swift VDi yesterday from Pune. Drove it back to Mumbai.
Yeah the brakes are pretty sad. There is absolutely no bite. The brakes just "slows" down the car. As if that is it's job description. It just doesn't work on really stopping the car.
Brought it to office today & my colleague who owns an i10 took it for a spin with me as passenger. Before we started i warned him about the brakes & he was like come on how can the brakes be bad on a new car. & then when he drove & braked his exact words were "Man, where are the brakes??" & then he was like you got to take it to a workshop & checked it immediately & so on & so forth till i finally brought him back to normal saying almost every new Swift owner is facing this issue.
AvinashV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 08:11   #189
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Since the Z versions dont have the braking issue as per tbhp review, could it be that the car's driving characteristic is the difference here, since you had a petrol earlier and now driving a diesel ?
Yes I do had diesel Indica(80000+ K KMs), a sumo(2,50,000+ KMs), in addition to Swift VXI with ABS(80,000+ KMs) and 'n' number of rented cars in North america and Europe. I do understand the dynamics pretty well.

What I am seeing is uncertinity in breaking. Even after almost 1000 KMs of drive I am not sure at what point the break gets applied after activation of break pedal. Certainly not a confidence inspiring.
manjubp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 19:32   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw a ZDI today and observed that the disc is of a larger diameter ;and if the disc is larger,the calipers and pads would also be.

Wheels are 15" against 14" on the vdi

could the larger disc and pads be making the difference in braking?
Old 11th January 2012, 14:44   #191
BHPian

Thread has been quite for the last few days.

Any updates from the new swift L/V owners regarding this issue ?

Has there been any positive response from MS on this ?

SD
Old 11th January 2012, 23:02   #192
BHPian

I did formally registered a complaint with MUL. They indeed assigned to MASS, and MASS had no clue what it is, and I asked them to take it back to MUL. Let us see, what happens. Indeed I have asked MUL's designers form breaking section to get involved, hope they will get involved and understand my point
manjubp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 11:21   #193
BHPian

@manjubp: thanks for the update. Really hope MUL come up with a solution here.
Old 12th January 2012, 11:59   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Yes I do had diesel Indica(80000+ K KMs), a sumo(2,50,000+ KMs), in addition to Swift VXI with ABS(80,000+ KMs) and 'n' number of rented cars in North america and Europe. I do understand the dynamics pretty well.

What I am seeing is uncertinity in breaking. Even after almost 1000 KMs of drive I am not sure at what point the break gets applied after activation of break pedal. Certainly not a confidence inspiring.
Exactly, you just can't understand the point at which the brake is applied or gets activated. When coming to a stop at a signal as i begin to apply the brake based on my normal style of driving of slowing down the car, at certain times it's not activated as the point is not very clear & then suddenly the car up front is coming up a little too fast & i realise the brake has still not been activated & then have to stamp hard. Very disconcerting.
Old 12th January 2012, 22:24   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I saw a ZDI today and observed that the disc is of a larger diameter ;and if the disc is larger,the calipers and pads would also be.

Wheels are 15" against 14" on the vdi

could the larger disc and pads be making the difference in braking?
Are you saying that ZDI has larger disc? Or is it modified.
I don;t think ZDI has larger disc, doesn't make sense.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks