Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Attention: New Maruti Suzuki Swift Brake Issue

that's what i saw ,but could not confirm by comparing a zdi and vdi alongside
Old 1st February 2012, 11:41   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Was BA included in all variants after the facelift? How old is your car?
I have March 2010 model with k - series engine and work fine for me.

please go through this doc.

it might be helpful to you.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Brake Assist.doc (124.0 KB, 742 views)

Last edited by GTO : 2nd February 2012 at 20:09. Reason: Correcting quote. And please do NOT use SMS language on this forum
Old 9th April 2012, 12:48   #198
BHPian

One of my friends had booked a Swift VDI a couple of weeks back and since I've heard of that I've also notified him of this particular issue. He hadn’t tried a TD on a VDI so I told him to do so ASAP.

Now here’s the funny part. He mentioned to the dealership that he came to know from Team-BHP that people who have got their cars are complaining about their brakes and guess what they told him. They said that couldn’t be possible since ABS only kicks in after 100+ and if thats the case then people with ZDI’s should also have the same problem. Now that was not only funny but ridiculous correct? From what I know ABS would kick after about 30+ when the wheels locked. What would be the purpose if you had a wet road and you’re travelling at 60 and the ABS doesn’t function.

Nevertheless, I told him to go and do a TD. His only worry is the waiting period for the ZDI. Money wasn’t a problem. He was willing to stretch for the ZDI, it’s the 8 months waiting period that drove him away. If the brakes are as weak as everybody here is suggesting he’d be in a dilemma.

Does anybody know what percentage of the average 20,000 units that gets sold a month are VDI’s and ZDI’s? Are people shying away from the VDI because of this particular issue?
Old 10th April 2012, 23:04   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack7
They said that couldn’t be possible since ABS only kicks in after 100+ and if thats the case then people with ZDI’s should also have the same problem. Now that was not only funny but ridiculous correct? From what I know ABS would kick after about 30+ when the wheels locked. What would be the purpose if you had a wet road and you’re travelling at 60 and the ABS doesn’t function.

Nevertheless, I told him to go and do a TD. His only worry is the waiting period for the ZDI. Money wasn’t a problem. He was willing to stretch for the ZDI, it’s the 8 months waiting period that drove him away. If the brakes are as weak as everybody here is suggesting he’d be in a dilemma.

Does anybody know what percentage of the average 20,000 units that gets sold a month are VDI’s and ZDI’s? Are people shying away from the VDI because of this particular issue?
Maruti should address the break issue in the L and V variants. A larger brake booster should do it. I wonder why this is not taken seriously if people are indeed having issues with the brakes. Or is Maruti shying away from recalling vehicles fearing a negative impact on sales.

The sales personnel's lack of ABS knowledge is appalling. He probably thinks even the L and V variants have ABS.

My guess is the Zdi-Vdi ratio is approx in the 1:8 to 1:10 range. It's the lower production of ZDis which is mainly contributing to this IMO. The price and lead time are other factors.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 10th April 2012 at 23:05.
Old 11th April 2012, 18:53   #200
BHPian

Does this problem also exist in the Dzire Vxi?
Has anyone had any success in resolving/working around this problem?
Old 21st April 2012, 02:21   #201
BHPian

We own a Swift Zxi in my family and my friend owns a desire zxi, however i haven't faced any challange with our swift even after 50k nor did my friend. I never knew an average person would need to learn breaking techniques and styles to drive a car that is diesel and not petrol. This sounds absurd to me!

Why wouldn't you be able to get maruti to upgrade your cars breaking system or whatever that is called so it can remain under warranty and you can use the car to it's potential? Atleast you will have some peace of mind while driving, can't imagine how you do these trips with your family in a car which doesn't give you the confidence of breaking?
Old 21st April 2012, 15:07   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan1981
We own a Swift Zxi in my family and my friend owns a desire zxi, however i haven't faced any challange with our swift even after 50k nor did my friend. I never knew an average person would need to learn breaking techniques and styles to drive a car that is diesel and not petrol. This sounds absurd to me!
:
Swift's poor brakes noticed in third gen face lifted models from Aug-Sep 2011 onwards for Vdi, Vxi, Ldi and Lxi models. The brakes are spongy and it scares during panic braking. The earlier swift's brakes were alright.
Old 21st April 2012, 18:48   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Swift's poor brakes noticed in third gen face lifted models from Aug-Sep 2011 onwards for Vdi, Vxi, Ldi and Lxi models. The brakes are spongy and it scares during panic braking. The earlier swift's brakes were alright.
yes, the new Swift's brakes are poor.
But, braking issues for even the old Swift ( Diesel ) is reported on the current thread. It's a known weak point of the Swift which otherwise is a fantastic driver's car.
Old 21st April 2012, 19:40   #204
Senior - BHPian

Spot on, only difference is that it was not so vociferously expressed on this forum. I was one of those old swift diesel owners, who kept complaining about the brakes on my car, inspite of getting the booster upgrade/change done on my car.

Braking was never a strong point on the diesel swift and never confidence inspiring. Since I regularly drive other cars which had much better braking efficiency, this was all the more visible to me and I couldnt get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
yes, the new Swift's brakes are poor.
But, braking issues for even the old Swift ( Diesel ) is reported on the current thread. It's a known weak point of the Swift which otherwise is a fantastic driver's car.

THE main reason why I sold my 3 year old swift diesel with only 38k on the odo. It was a fantastic car in all other counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan1981 View Post
can't imagine how you do these trips with your family in a car which doesn't give you the confidence of breaking?
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 04:27   #205
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
I did formally registered a complaint with MUL. They indeed assigned to MASS, and MASS had no clue what it is, and I asked them to take it back to MUL. Let us see, what happens. Indeed I have asked MUL's designers form breaking section to get involved, hope they will get involved and understand my point

After nearly two months of communication, nothing much changed. Except I crossed 5,000 KMs and service. Certainly I can say the breaking is not good enough, even in ZDI(which I own). Old Swift had much better breaking capability.

Now need to look out for how to improve, may be better and wider tyre ( i am running on OEM tyres, MRF zvts) and/or improved non-oem break pads.
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:40   #206
BHPian

My issue is a little different. At times, at low speeds the brakes becomes very hard. The engine is less than 1000 rpm, speed at 10 km/hr and in 1st gear with half clutch, the brake pedel becomes very hard. I had to press the clutch fully for the brakes to become effective once again. It is scary while taking reverse as the brakes become totally ineffective during such time. I own a Vxi and have upgraded to 185 70 R14 tyres.

Can anyone confirm if they have a similar issue? I talked to the SA and he did a TD to confirm that there isnt anything wrong with the brakes.
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:59   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp
Now need to look out for how to improve, may be better and wider tyre ( i am running on OEM tyres, MRF zvts) and/or improved non-oem break pads.
Try Bosch brake pads. Its a huge improvement over my Indica OE pads, which were just adequate. I dont experience brake fade in my Indica anymore.
Old 13th May 2012, 19:27   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What you won’t:

• Mediocre brakes (LXi / LDi & VXi / VDi). Inadequate for emergency braking conditions
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What makes matters worse is that the "L" and "V" variants have poor brakes, since it's only the "Z" level that receives the "brake assist" feature. While Maruti is tight-lipped on what brake assist means, from my drive in the ZXi, I can assure you that brake assist = bigger brake booster. The elusive ZDi variant is finally offered on the new Swift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Looks like a common issue / feeling about the braking performance among many Swift owners, but seeing the number of misconceptions / assumptions floated on this thread, I think a few things need to be clarified.

(1) What is Brake Assist?
In emergency braking situations, drivers tend to press the brake pedal quickly, but due to panic, not keep the brake pedal pressed fully. Brake Assist is a feature which can sense this rapid travel of the brake pedal and increase the brake boost automatically. Mechanical brake assist (present in cars like the Swift), uses a mechanical system inside the brake booster to increase the boost automatically when panic braking is judged, thus increasing the braking force at the wheels.

(2) If Brake Assist is so useful, why does Maruti not give it in the LDi and VDi variants?
Brake Assist increases the brake boost, taking the braking force upto the wheel locking condition. In a vehicle without ABS, this would cause wheel locking, and thereby, vehicle instability. Therefore, Brake Assist is provided only in vehicles with ABS. That is why, Maruti has not given Brake Assist in LXi, LDi, VXi or VDI; and only in ZXi and ZDi. In case of ZXi and ZDi, brake assist increases the brake pressure upto wheel locking condition, from where ABS takes over and prevents wheel lock. This gives the best possible braking condition for a given vehicle.

Bottomline is, Brake Assist should not be given in a vehicle without ABS. It can cause wheel lock!
I guess the brochure clarifies why the new Swift brakes poorly, please see the attached pages - look under Safety & Security. The old one says it's got Brake Assist in all the variants and its NOT optional. In the new Swift brochure Brake Assist is only on the Z variant.

If brake assist feature is not supposed to be given on a non ABS equipped vehicle, then how come it was given in the non ABS L and V variants of the previous generation Swift? Why isn't it provided in the new gen vehicle?

If this brake assist thingy is inside the brake booster i think swapping out the new Swift's booster with the old one's might get some bite back into the brakes. Just my thoughts.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MarutiSwiftOld.pdf (580.9 KB, 703 views)
File Type: pdf MarutiSwiftNew.pdf (365.0 KB, 757 views)

Last edited by Sankar : 13th May 2012 at 19:34.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 08:21   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman View Post
Does this problem also exist in the Dzire Vxi?
Has anyone had any success in resolving/working around this problem?
Keve, If the DZire VXI doesn't come with Brake Assist then you can expect the same poor braking from it.

I don't have a Swift yet, but i'm thinking of buying one. If it were me i would experiment with swapping out the brake booster with that of the prev generation Swift's (prolly prev gen Swift Diesel's) and see how it goes. Since this brake assist thingy is inside the brake booster i think it should work. I don't recommend playing with the car brakes, but this is what i would do if i find the brakes that bad in daily regular use.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 08:33   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Keve, If the DZire VXI doesn't come with Brake Assist then you can expect the same poor braking from it.

I don't have a Swift yet, but i'm thinking of buying one. If it were me i would experiment with swapping out the brake booster with that of the prev generation Swift's (prolly prev gen Swift Diesel's) and see how it goes. Since this brake assist thingy is inside the brake booster i think it should work. I don't recommend playing with the car brakes, but this is what i would do if i find the brakes that bad in daily regular use.
Sankar, I have a slightly different problem. I issue is that brakes become rock hard at low speeds. The engine is less than 1000 rpm, speed at 10 km/hr and in 1st gear/reverse gear with half clutch, the brake pedel becomes very hard after several half brakes. I had to press the clutch fully for the brakes to become effective once again. It is scary while taking reverse as the brakes become totally ineffective during such time.

I have talked to Maruti A$$, most of them dont seem to understand the main issue. Anyways, I managed to get a few other people who have the same issue and got it tested which prompted MASS to send an technical report to maruti for further analysis. Waiting since last week to heard from Maruti. This issue is existant right from Lxi to Vxi and Zxi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks