Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2012, 19:23   #226
BHPian

Re: Attention: New Maruti Suzuki Swift Brake Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
with the engine OFF.This is a sign of booster not having/getting enough vacuum during consecutive operations.

In my Maruti AStar with the engine OFF when i press the brake pedal the first time the pedal goes . During the second pedal press the brake pedal doesn't go as easily as it did the first time. third to fourth pedal press the brake pedal feels wooden it doesn't get any servo effect.
One of my Bigger sedans from the HONDA family does behave like this. I feel this is absolutely normal. Vaccum is created only when the engine is ON. Afterall, we dont move the car with the engine OFF.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 19th May 2012 at 19:24.
Old 31st May 2012, 08:21   #227
Senior - BHPian

I'm now driving the new Swift VXI since the last couple of days, the tyres are OEM Goodyear, and so far i'm satisfied with the braking performance inside the city and while reversing. I'm yet to face the brake going hard syndrome while reversing/creeping inside the city. Coming from a 2010 AStar VXi i find the this Swift's braking performance not very different compared to the former. Yet to take the car on a highway/traffic free road so can't say anything regarding high speed braking experience. So far the brake performance is allright. I'll update here if i face any unpredictable braking behaviour.

Last edited by Sankar : 31st May 2012 at 08:22.
Old 31st May 2012, 09:28   #228
BHPian

Sankar - brake going hard has been identified even in a new swift (may-2012 batch). Do a half clutch and keep applying the brakes at some point you feel the brakes become rock hard. This issue has been confirmed by MSIL & TSM, but they refuse is a production defect. Typical of any auto company in India. We ave a few ppl in other forums who will be going to consumer court to get this sorted out.

Hey how about your initial report and also a brief on the new Swift Vxi
MutantX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2012, 22:35   #229
BHPian

i was following an Etriga which had to do some panic braking on flyover near toll bridge on Eastern Express Highway and it could not stop and rammed into the car ahead, not much damage though, Etriga must be doing around 80-85 kmph and the driver claimed that brakes did not respond.
probably, brake issue exists on the latest batch too.
Old 2nd June 2012, 22:41   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I'm yet to face the brake going hard syndrome while reversing/creeping inside the city.
Sankar saar, brake in 3-4 steps, like brake-leave-brake-leave-brake.... Brakes will go from vaccum assist to, non-assist. This is what I have experienced.. Please confirm.

Old 2nd June 2012, 22:47   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Sankar saar, brake in 3-4 steps, like brake-leave-brake-leave-brake.... Brakes will go from vaccum assist to, non-assist. This is what I have experienced.. Please confirm.

Dhanushs, I can confirm this. I have been shouting this issue for the past 6 months. Raised it with Maruti!! many of whom I know have already gone to consumer court bcoz of maruti's arrogant attitude.
Old 2nd June 2012, 22:53   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Dhanushs, I can confirm this. I have been shouting this issue for the past 6 months. Raised it with Maruti!! many of whom I know have already gone to consumer court bcoz of maruti's arrogant attitude.
Hi MutantX, IMO, this issue can be solved by using bigger brake boosters, and when time comes for the next brake brake pad change, swap the pads as well as discs from the better variant.

Other than that, I guess there is nothing different.

Edit: Oh, and the Figo too has better discs in the ABS variant, so, swapping should not be an issue. IF you want better brakes.

Last edited by dhanushs : 2nd June 2012 at 22:55.
Old 2nd June 2012, 23:01   #233
BHPian

yes dhanush, ive talked to maruti, what they say is that engine at lower RPM doesnt generate enough vacuum for the brake booster to work effectively and hence the brake becomes rock hard.

I had been to their workshop atleast a zillion times, they had changed the brake booster & master cylinder but none really worked. I suggest them to change the brake booster to the ones that come on with the new Dzire or even SX4, but they confirmed that either of them are not compatible with the new swift.

But IMHO, maurti needs to resolve this issue by themselves, they cannot expect the drivers to adjust their way of driving which totally incorrect. When I was talking to TSM, their service manager was arguing saying that my driving style was incorrect and asked my to fully press the clutch and drive. I gave him a piece of my mind, told him to get back to the basics before talking to me.

Infact I was soo annoyed with these guys that, i shoot an email to Maruti threatening them with legal action if they dont get this issue resolved. Surprised that this issue wasnt picked up by Tbhp reviews which people usually rate pretty high.
MutantX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2012, 23:35   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

Thats how i reverse park every day at my home and sometimes do that kind of braking through the traffic in the morning. So far all is well for me. But i have half clutch depressed under such crawl situations, thats how i drive, maybe thats why its not a problem for me yet.

If this issue develops for me in the future i will tray swapping the old Swift's brake booster if the part numbers are different. Else i'll try to put i10's brake booster if it can be done.
Old 7th June 2012, 16:02   #235
BHPian

Quote:
yes dhanush, ive talked to maruti, what they say is that engine at lower RPM doesnt generate enough vacuum for the brake booster to work effectively and hence the brake becomes rock hard.

I had been to their workshop atleast a zillion times, they had changed the brake booster & master cylinder but none really worked. I suggest them to change the brake booster to the ones that come on with the new Dzire or even SX4, but they confirmed that either of them are not compatible with the new swift.

But IMHO, maurti needs to resolve this issue by themselves, they cannot expect the drivers to adjust their way of driving which totally incorrect. When I was talking to TSM, their service manager was arguing saying that my driving style was incorrect and asked my to fully press the clutch and drive. I gave him a piece of my mind, told him to get back to the basics before talking to me.

Infact I was soo annoyed with these guys that, i shoot an email to Maruti threatening them with legal action if they dont get this issue resolved. Surprised that this issue wasnt picked up by Tbhp reviews which people usually rate pretty high.

Was speaking to a relative who was involved earlier with MSIL on the brake design of the new Swift, Dzire etc. and I mentioned to him about the two problems (poor brakes on L and V variants during emergency situation and the brakes getting harder on VXI/LXI) being raised in this forums.

He said that he was not surprised at all with both the issues as there are quite a few design issues with non ABS brakes which becomes irrelevant in a abs scenario and perhaps why MSIL gives ABS on all Ertiga diesels. His pet peeve with MSIL is that they follow different yardsticks for India and the oversees market and the prefer cost savings over safety especially for the lower end models.

As soon as I mentioned about your scenario of brakes becoming hard, immediately he had a smile and said engine does not generate enough vaccum at low rpms which rings a bell with what you have heard. No he has not been reading tbhp for quite a while.

However, he was in agreement with one aspect that emergency mechanical break assist should not be in a non abs vehicle. Issue is that MSIL removed a potential hazard but has not provided an effective alternative.
Sridhar K is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 16:27   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
As soon as I mentioned about your scenario of brakes becoming hard, immediately he had a smile and said engine does not generate enough vaccum at low rpms which rings a bell with what you have heard. No he has not been reading tbhp for quite a while.

However, he was in agreement with one aspect that emergency mechanical break assist should not be in a non abs vehicle. Issue is that MSIL removed a potential hazard but has not provided an effective alternative.
Thanks Sridhar. MSIL doesnt seem to agree with the fact that sufficient vacuum isnt generated at lower speeds. They keep calling me again and again to bring my car so that their engineers could recreate the problem! at some point of time, I got soo irritated that I told them to goto hell. The issue is with all petrol swifts (Lxi,Vxi & Zxi). So let them go and figure out!
Old 10th June 2012, 09:38   #237
BHPian

Quote:
The issue is with all petrol swifts (Lxi,Vxi & Zxi). So let them go and figure out!
I have the same problem in my ZDI too.. the break becomes very hard and ineffective at low speed, if I pump the break 3-4 times.

I have stopped recommending Maruti Swift to others, just because of weak breaks at speed and almost no breaks at low speed.
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 10:27   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
I have the same problem in my ZDI too.. the break becomes very hard and ineffective at low speed, if I pump the break 3-4 times.

I have stopped recommending Maruti Swift to others, just because of weak breaks at speed and almost no breaks at low speed.
wops, i thought this issue was existent only in petrol cars since they dont have a separate vacuum chamber. Diesel cars having this issue! wow. Maruti should take up this issue a bit seriously.

Hope they address this issue and bring up a solution as soon as possible. SWIFT is a wonderful car and this niggle is just irritating.
Old 28th June 2012, 16:01   #239
Senior - BHPian

Well Guys I left all the European cars (Punto, Fabia, Polo) to but Swift VXi, for peace of mind, cheaper spares, good service and Bla bla.

I got the car registerd / deliverd to me on 15th of June 2012. My experience with the car is okish, the pickup is not that great, you don't get all the solid feel of european cars but I am happy, I am getting a 13 kmpl in city A/C 70% of the times on.

What's the biggest problem is brakes. And on an emergency braking just after the signal, I was on part clutch. And my brakes din't work, just barely few days old and I got a nice scar on my front bumper.

Peaple say all the stories about driving and using part clutch is not the right thing. I have to only say that all this is theoritical, in reality with the kind of traffic in Bangalore you have to use part clutch, no way around. Those who preach this would be doing the same albeit a little less.

And for God sake, why do we need to correct our driving style, when the same works perfectly on other cars?? Even the tiny liitle eon and i10 have better brakes. The brakes on fabia are also very nice.

I think it's all to do with the booster and its design, maruti should figure out the solution for this. In all probability the product group / design team of Maruti to brought attention on this issue. I will try to contact some one from Maruti. They are my customers (the casting division and the motorcylces).
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2012, 11:52   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive
What's the biggest problem is brakes. And on an emergency braking just after the signal, I was on part clutch. And my brakes din't work, just barely few days old and I got a nice scar on my front bumper.

Peaple say all the stories about driving and using part clutch is not the right thing. I have to only say that all this is theoritical, in reality with the kind of traffic in Bangalore you have to use part clutch, no way around. Those who preach this would be doing the same albeit a little less.

And for God sake, why do we need to correct our driving style, when the same works perfectly on other cars?? Even the tiny liitle eon and i10 have better brakes. The brakes on fabia are also very nice.
This could be OT: It was my dream to own Swift from past one year after reading reviews of all others cars. But this thread made me to change my decision. I did not want to take chances on BRAKES.

Instead of going for Swift VDi(my budget does not allow to go for ZDi), I booked Ford Figo TDCi Titanium for the same price of swift's and got delivery the next day. I did extensive research is various forums and reviews to arrive at this decision. What I got more than Swift is ABS, Airbags, Alloy Wheels, good music system with bluetooth, rear defogger & wiper, big boot space. Also got leather seat covers & parking sensors as free. No waiting period.
But I missed out great looks of Swift, mileage & good service network. I assume Figo' s handling & stability to be at par with Swift, yet to test her.
I also knew that Face lift Figo test mule is running in Chennai, but fearing increase in excise duty on diesel cars any time made me to buy immediately.
Note: I am not advertising figo here.
Attached Images

Last edited by HighOctane : 30th June 2012 at 11:55.
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks