Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2011, 22:47   #1
BHPian

Toyota Fortuner crashes, Air bags did not deploy *EDIT* Another similar case Pg.7

This incident happened with my cousin when he crashed the Fortuner 3 days back. The vehicle skidded under braking on a long sweeping curve on the highway, glanced a roadside tree on the RHS, then toppled and rolled over thrice before coming to rest on its side. Now, the major issue is that despite extensive damage to the front of the vehicle, the Air bags did not deploy. Thankfully, all the occupants of the car escaped with minor injuries with everyone wearing seatbelts.

I am not an expert on the Fortuner nor have I ever been in a major accident where airbags were required to be deployed, but seeing such damage I am wondering whether Air bags should not have deployed even before such heavy damage. The RHS of the vehicle bore the major damage and yet none of the front airbags deployed. Or is it designed to deploy only during more severe damage. (Then it is outright unsafe) or something did not work in this particular vehicle? (Then Toyota's much touted safety and reliability needs to be questioned.)

I am posting some pics below for your comments and advice. Sorry about the picture quality. These were hurriedly taken with mobile at the police station.

Toyota Fortuner crashes, Air bags did not deploy *EDIT* Another similar case Pg.7-271220111028-11.jpg
Toyota Fortuner crashes, Air bags did not deploy *EDIT* Another similar case Pg.7-271220111029-12.jpg
Toyota Fortuner crashes, Air bags did not deploy *EDIT* Another similar case Pg.7-271220111031.jpg
Toyota Fortuner crashes, Air bags did not deploy *EDIT* Another similar case Pg.7-271220111030.jpg
Toyota Fortuner crashes, Air bags did not deploy *EDIT* Another similar case Pg.7-271220111032.jpg

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 30th December 2011 at 22:49.
wanderer4x4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 22:52   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Toyota Fortuner crashes, Air bags did not deploy *EDIT* Another similar case Pg.7

This has been discussed several times already on the forum. Front Airbags are not necessarily useful in case of a impact other than head on collision. The owner's manual clearly has the conditions mentioned wherein the front Airbags will deploy.

Even after the rollover the cabin has held up really well, with no major deformation. Fortunately all the occupants were unharmed too, now why do you thing the Airbags would have helped here? Look at the bull bar, it clearly shows this was not a head on impact.

I feel Toyota should have offered ESP as standard on Indian Fortuners from day one, just like they do for other countries. Why do they think lives of their customers in India is not as important?

Last edited by .anshuman : 30th December 2011 at 23:05. Reason: added something
.anshuman is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 22:57   #3
BHPian

re: Toyota Fortuner crashes, Air bags did not deploy *EDIT* Another similar case Pg.7

Thank the Gods that everyone survived the crash. Apart from the fact that Anshuman mentioned, the first thing that came to mind are the "Bull Guards/Bars". Is it really safe to have those installed?

Last edited by prafulasher : 30th December 2011 at 23:01.
prafulasher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 22:57   #4
Team-BHP Support

IMHO: The crash guard in the front has done a good job of protecting the sensors.
bblost is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 22:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

I'm no expert on this topic, but from your description of the incident and the pictures there seems to be no frontal impact. The Fortuner 'grazed' a tree on the RHS and rolled over before coming to a halt.

As far as my understanding goes, the front airbags are designed to deploy, only when the point of impact is around the front bumper. In the case of the fortuner, the bumper seems to be damaged because the vehicle toppled, and not because the point of impact was the front bumper itself, so the airbags haven't deployed.

Glad to hear that all the passengers got out safe!
Old 30th December 2011, 23:00   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

O boy,the damage looks extensive.Thank god everyone is safe.The airbag sensors are located mostly on the front bumpers AFAIK and in this case,the bumper has the least damage.Moreover,i see a bull bar which could be the culprit.Experts,please comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
This has been discussed several times already on the forum. Front Airbags are not necessarily useful in case of a impact other than head on collision. The owner's manual clearly has the conditions mentioned wherein the front Airbags will deploy.
Very rightly said that the manual clearly states the conditions for an airbag deployment and also non-deployment.I feel it could also be due to the bull bars we all are crazy about.(already mentioned in the earlier posts).

Last edited by BoneCollector : 30th December 2011 at 23:01.
Old 30th December 2011, 23:02   #7
BHPian

I haven't read the Toyota Owner's Manual.

But Have read many owner's manual & feel that after such a incident as seen in photograph's would say if Air Bag doesn't open now : when do you aspect them to open?

This is massive from the picture's,I am happy that people are safe but at the same time feel this should be inspect that was it one of the case - which can be termed as outlier or some thing which needs more inspection.
looking at the picture might be - due to less impact the Airbag didn't open,

I would recommend please read the owner's manual & then take a call whether it should have been open or not?that would surely help in getting right course of action.

Thanks & Regards
Anupam

Last edited by anupam00 : 30th December 2011 at 23:07. Reason: update the left over
anupam00 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 23:03   #8
BHPian

The passengers survived the crash. When multiple rolls, side swipes and what not has been involved, I don't see why the safety of the car has to be questioned in such a scenario . The title is misleading IMO.

Maybe , just maybe if the car was retained in stock form ........ the Airbags would ave deployed. Aftermarket bars in the front may be the cause and one cant question Toyota until the same scenario was repeated in stock vehicle form.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 30th December 2011 at 23:06.
absynthguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 23:13   #9
BHPian

Even if the air bag should have deployed, the sensors would not have got any input, thanks to the crash guard. My thought is that crash guards should not be used on vehicles with airbags. This is anytime detrimental to the car. Even in case of a head on, instead of the crumble zones taking in the impact, the crash guard would direct it to the chassis, where it is bolted on to. The car and safety (passive and active) features were not designed with crash guard included.

Good to know that everybody came out of the crash safe.
unni.ak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 23:17   #10
Team-BHP Support

A crash/ bull guard should never be used for vehicles running on public roads.

They KILL pedestrians.
bblost is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 23:22   #11
BHPian

Thanks guys for your inputs. The main front impact was diagonally on the RHS fender just behind the headlamp as can be seen in the second pic, so we thought Airbags should have deployed. So, is it that when a crash impacts in the bumper region only then air bags deploy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupam00 View Post
I haven't read the Toyota Owner's Manual.

But Have read many owner's manual & feel that after such a incident as seen in photograph's would say if Air Bag doesn't open now : when do you aspect them to open?

I would recommend please read the owner's manual & then take a call whether it should have been open or not?that would surely help in getting right course of action.
Exactly my thought. But then in this type of crash side air bags might have helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
The passengers survived the crash. When multiple rolls, side swipes and what not has been involved, I don't see why the safety of the car has to be questioned in such a scenario . The title is misleading IMO.
Well, the passengers survived but it was a very very lucky escape. And the question is not about the safety offered by the cabin, but the lack of non deployment of the airbags. The driver received injuries to the head and chest which could have been avoided had the air bags deployed.

Also, now that you have mentioned, I think that the bull bar could also be a cause.

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 30th December 2011 at 23:26.
wanderer4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 23:31   #12
BANNED

ESP should be made applicable by law for all SUV and high centre of gravity vehicles .
I have always felt whether it be Maruti or toyota most major manufacturer having dominance takes safety as of no use to Indian customers .
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 23:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I feel Toyota should have offered ESP as standard on Indian Fortuners from day one, just like they do for other countries. Why do they think lives of their customers in India is not as important?
I think its because of the Indian customers mindset. How many people opt for a variant with Airbags / EBD? Most people are bothered about saving a lakh rupees. Let alone opting for a variant with more safety features, most people do not use the most important safety feature - the seat belt. As demonstrated in this case, seat belts are primarily responsible in keeping occupants safe.

I was speaking to someone who works for Toyota as to why Etios has such poor NVH insulation. His reply was "Market research showed most Indians buying entry level cars run their cars with window down, so designers thought, what is the use insulating engine noise when there is so much noise coming into the cabin from everywhere around?"

I don't like this explanation, but I do feel we as consumers have to make correct choices and demand better.

Toyota has gone too deep into cost cutting on the Etios, which was targeted to be mass market, to keep costs low. However for an expensive vehicle like the Fortuner, with high GC and CG, and power, ESP should have been standard - people paying 24 lakhs will not mind another lakh if the vehicle is going to be safer.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 23:43   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Most vehicles with Air Bags clearly mention in the manual the scenarios where the aribag will and won't inflate. Air bag will inflate only when the impact is felt by the Air Bag Sensor which is typically some where in the front behind the front bumper.

My Scorpio has Air bags and the manual clearly mentions the likely scenarios where the air bag will/wont deploy. I will scan and upload it when I have some time.

I know an exactly opposite instance when my friends Hyundai Elantra skidded off the road and hit a mount of sand that was off-loaded from a lorry for construction. The car was hardly damaged from the impact but the sensors got triggered and he ended up having to change the dash and airbags, but only the bumper of the car was damaged.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 30th December 2011 at 23:45.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 23:48   #15
BHPian

I am no expert, having said that, looking at the 2nd pics, if the front aig bags do not deploy, IMO, we are un-necessarily arguing on behalf of Toyota ! Sorry If I sound rude here.

I agree with #12 (last sentence) , and why not ? Toyota is known for most no. of recalls worldwide if not the most !

We`ll come up with all the possible reasons for airbags not deplyoing and blaming the driver/owner and with our current judicial system, manufacturer do not care and customer will run from pillar to post seeking justice... end of the day, we the poor customer suffers !

Good to know that no one is seriously injured.

BTW, can you share the speed at which the vehicle was travelling while taking the curve.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 30th December 2011 at 23:55. Reason: edit ...

Most Viewed