Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2012, 13:18   #136
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner crashes, Air bags did not deploy *EDIT* Another similar case Pg.7

Hello All,

An update on the matter.

I was contacted by a Mr. Ahmed at Toyota India HQ in Bangalore about 4 days after i sent the mail to them.

He told me that the company had gone through my e-mail and attached pictures in detail and that they were investigating the matter.

He also requested me to wait till they had completed their investigations and to not contact Toyota Global HQ till they got back to us.

In my mail I had mentioned that i would be sending the same mail to Toyota global if I was not satisfied with the explanation provided.

Let's see what they say.
driven646 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 20:06   #137
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner crashes, Air bags did not deploy *EDIT* Another similar case Pg.7

Hello All,

Final update on the matter - after much back & forth the company's official (although verbal only) response is that the impact did not cause the Airbags to deploy as the sensor is in the mid part of the bumper and our Fortuner just missed impacting that area.

Anyway, we've had the car repaired fully and it's back with us along with a massive bill.

Word of advice to all Fortuner owners - if you are going to crash try and make sure the mid section of the bumper takes a hit if you want the Airbags to deploy.

Drive safe and always wear seat belts.
driven646 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 21:27   #138
BHPian

Toyota Fortuner: A family car or coffin? (Un)Safety Standards

By any yardstick, this accident is a bad one. Thank god the Driver had a miraculous escape. But the Air Bags did not deploy inspite of the car being totalled because there was no impact on the sensor. Read more at:

https://medium.com/@divyjaising/targ...e-f66317453c8a

@ Mods: If there is a another post about the same vehicle please delete this thread.
aaren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 21:48   #139
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner: A family car or coffin? (Un)Safety Standards

Wow! Thats a bad one. An complete surprise on the airbags. Can you explain what was the speed of the vehicle and what was the reason for the crash?
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 22:12   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaren View Post
By any yardstick, this accident is a bad one. Thank god the Driver had a miraculous escape. But the Air Bags did not deploy inspite of the car being totalled because there was no impact on the sensor.
Couple of points :

1. Airbags are there to slow-down the impact. If speed is below a threshold, airbags will not deploy. Airbag will not help and does not make sense to cause minor burn injuries at such speeds.
2. In this case, there is significant cabin intrusion (for co-passenger). Airbags will not help at all in such accidents.
NetfreakBombay is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 22:13   #141
BHPian

The driver had only a cut in his hand means airbag need not be inflated to save his life. From the pics, it seems a knee airbag could have helped to minimize any injury that might have happened but the Fortuner doesn't have one. Am I missing something here?

And from the article: "that car was bought for ₹ 30 some lacs. The repair bill is ₹27 lac. I don’t know about the sensors but when 90% loss to the vehicle happens, the airbags have to deploy"

Err.. What?
prkiran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 22:35   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

The content looks more like rant. It is quite possible that the airbags did not deploy because the sensors did not sense the impact as required. Even looking at the pic, the first point of impact seems to be the left side a-pillar.

Fortuner is an international model, and Toyota would have taken care in designing the vehicle. IMO, the accusations of the owner dont really stand.

I would also say - merge this thread to the accidents thread. This does not really merit a separate thread.
condor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 22:40   #143
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, but the author seems to be worried only about the airbags not being deployed. If the vehicle is a 'coffin' as he says, then how come his driver came out with just a cut in his hand? Is he superhuman?

It is evident from the pictures that the car went under the trailer's rear end diagonally and without any proper under-run protection on the trailer, the cabin of the car was probably the first point of impact. No airbags can save you if the sensors don't have an impact.

Doesn't look like a high speed crash either. The driver should thank his stars for being alive. I am in no way saying that Toyota cars are the benchmark in safety, but this article seems like a desperate attempt to blame the car maker to get additional compensation.

These days, anyone with a keyboard can type a sensationalist article to get some publicity. I really wonder if the driver was wearing his seatbelt. How come there is no mention of that?

Two things the author should consider doing:

(1) Take the total loss amount and buy a 'safer' car which will deploy air bags at the slam of a door.

(2) Find a more competent driver who can see something as big as a trailer truck, before he goes head first into it.
Viju is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 22:58   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

That's painful to watch.

Also Airbags not deploying, would it be because this car was one of those Toyota's which had TAKATA (Supplier) Airbags & had to be recalled ?

This recall was already instructed in Australia;

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...or-fault-67034

Not sure wether this same supplier Airbags/sensors are present in this Fortuner.

Last edited by karan561 : 7th May 2018 at 23:03.
karan561 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 23:03   #145
Senior - BHPian

My reply could be an "odd one out".
Chassis is clearly impacted in a noticeable way. I would expect the airbag/s to open up. But, there could be a few other aspects too like if the driver was wearing seat belts (am assuming he did as the cabin is compromised with intrusions and he got out with just a scratch).

The article states that there was only driver in the car at time of impact. So if no passenger was there in co-passenger seat, that airbag wont open. Regarding driver airbag, if driver was wearing seatbelt, the airbag should have deployed. Am of understanding that the sensor needs a certain amount of deceleration to deploy the airbags. And without such deceleration such heavy damage cannot be inflicted on the car, particularly the chassis.

To summarize : No co-passenger in front seat = no deployment of airbag.
Driver Airbag : If he was wearing seat-belt, it should have deployed given the amount of damage. This isn't the first case of airbags not deploying in Fortuner. There are a few others.

Link 1
Link 2

On another note, I was initially bewildered by Rs. 27 lakh repair cost. But it seems entire body shell and chassis need replacement, so its not out of proportions IMHO. Of-course, the insurance firm would add the car to its "totaled" list and pay IDV. However the 1% survey cost is something I am hearing for the first time.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 7th May 2018 at 23:11.
aaggoswami is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 23:05   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

The owner has a point even though the title is a bit dramatic. That collision is a serious one, I am not sure if other vehicles/brands trigger the deployment of airbags under such conditions but I sure wish they deploy. I find the driver very stupid to go anywhere near that truck. Anytime I am behind such a truck, Final Destination-ish gruesome accident images flash before my eyes and I give myself a mile gap. I am happy for the owner and driver that nobody got hurt. The key take away for me is not the airbag deployment but the need for safe driving. Real world collisions are so complicated that it's possible that car's computer decides not to trigger airbags.
androdev is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 23:05   #147
BHPian

Quote:
"The repair bill is ₹27 lac. I don’t know about the sensors but when 90% loss to the vehicle happens, the airbags have to deploy"
How could he call it a coffin when the driver only has a scratch? Moreover, this person seems sad that the driver only got a scratch and his car was totaled. When we ask for airbag deployment, we are asking for an explosion in our face. The violent explosion often causes lots of injuries to the face and hands but saves the life. There are several factors that are taken into account by manufacturers to cause this explosion. The car costing 30L is most certainly not one of them. Going by that, a Maybach should deploy this airbag for hard braking also.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 7th May 2018 at 23:26.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 23:11   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

I could see a toll booth behind the car, may be some 200-300M from the accident spot. I wonder how he gained speed for an impact like this ?!

Quote:
@ Mods: If there is a another post about the same vehicle please delete this thread.
There is a similar thread here,Toyota to pay 25 lakhs for Fortuner Accident (airbags didn't deploy)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-s...nt-deploy.html
arun_josie is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 23:21   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

I would cut the owner some slack for the choice of his words. It's OK, given the state he might be in. I would also not absolve Toyota of any blame just because they are an "International" Brand and sell this elsewhere too. Plenty of instances where these things malfunction, in the best of cars really.

What the owner should have also included in this write-up are the details of how exactly this came to be? How did the car hit the truck, was it stationary, moving etc. I could not find any details in the blog.

Airbags can certainly save lives but more so defensive/safe driving practices. He should sit with the driver and try to understand how did this happen and if there was anything which could have prevented it?
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 00:00   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I find the driver very stupid to go anywhere near that truck. Anytime I am behind such a truck, Final Destination-ish gruesome accident images flash before my eyes and I give myself a mile gap.
As per the owner's article, his driver drove head on into a parked tow truck.
Quote:
But all this was was before my driver totaled the car by going head on into a parked tow truck.
Good to know that the driver escaped with cuts on his hand and maybe a bruised ego. I would assume the driver was distracted during his driving and that may have caused this accident.
A costly (financial wise) experience for the owner for sure. Hope he is able to sort out the insurance mess and buy a safer vehicle as his next purchase.

But your point regarding staying clear of these moving monsters on our roads is very valid.
Ithaca is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed