Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2012, 16:06   #1
Team-BHP Support

Accident involving an inebriated/sense-less pedestrian

I saw this on saturday night ~2115 in Madiwala, Bangalore. I was walking from the Silk Board signal towards Koramangala when this happened.

There was this seemingly inebriated person standing on the divider on Madiwala main road (almost in front of the Wipro office). He looked quite like those who've stayed on the streets their whole life.

Now, suddenly he decides to cross the road. The traffic has just been let off from the Total mall signal so the vehicles must be doing ~30-40 km/hr. A car on the right-most lane manages to avoid him but an autorickshaw in the centre can't and the guy bangs against the auto. He falls down and an Ikon next to the auto but behind it, runs over his legs.

Now, there's no blood but neither is the guy moving. All this must've happened within a fraction of a second.

The auto is standing still (can't go either as the guy is lying in front it) but the Ikon zooms away.

Most people didn't know what to do; they just stood there wondering what the next course of action was. Not sure what transpired as I walked away immediately.

Anywho, now the point of this post is - what do you do if you're involved - either as the auto (which hit the person) or the Ikon (which ran over after the person had fallen on the ground) in such a situation?

Since the pedestrian is not in his senses, you cannot anticipate such a situation. God forbid you end up in one, what's the course of action?

Last edited by libranof1987 : 21st February 2012 at 16:09.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 16:44   #2
BHPian

Re: Accident involving an inebriated/sense-less pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
what do you do if you're involved - either as the auto (which hit the person) or the Ikon (which ran over after the person had fallen on the ground) in such a situation?
I have been in similar situation. It is important to inform the police and get the guy to a hospital where his blood-alcohol level can be determined. A certified doctors report would ensure that the blame doesnt fall on the vehicle owner. However, once you get the police involved there will be a bit of greasing involved. Sad but True.

Quote:
Not sure what transpired as I walked away immediately.
You can always ring up 108 for accidents.

Last edited by mac187 : 21st February 2012 at 16:47.
Old 21st February 2012, 16:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Isnt the Madiwala police station right opposite to where this happened?

Dialing 108 or 100 would be the first thing to do, once you have ensured your own safety.
Old 21st February 2012, 16:54   #4
BHPian

This really is a case for the TV show - CSI (Crime Scene Investigation) !

Whether the fallen guy was inebriated or not, that is what I call Suicide.
The whole incident doesn't seem like either the Auto's or the Ikon's fault. I feel sorry for the Auto as he couldn't leave the scene easily. I can't fault the Ikon for leaving the scene while he/she could.
I shudder to think of being in the Ikon driver's seat. What if I stopped reflexively? What if the people crowded around and "relatives of the victim" looking for a quick buck just popped out of nowhere demanding money? What if the guy is dead?
In the end, like Libran said, God forbid any of us should be in such a situation.
Old 21st February 2012, 17:05   #5
BHPian

Code of ethics would state the following choices for individual persons (regardless of who's at fault)-

1. Ikon /auto driver-
a. Stop immediately and help the injured.
b. In case of fear of being mobbed, flee, call ambulance and surrender to nearest police station.

2. Passerby-
a. Immediately help the injured.
b. Call the ambulance and flee if there's a possibly dangerous mob.

What to apply in real life? I don't know myself. I would just pray to God that I don't ever have to test code of ethics in real life.
Old 22nd February 2012, 04:07   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

On a similar note, I would appreciate comments on this incident:

Note From Support - The following video has a disturbing footage, please watch accordingly

And, on the plight/state/further course of the tipper driver. :(

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th February 2012 at 00:09. Reason: Put up a warning for the video for members, thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 04:27   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There was this seemingly inebriated person standing on the divider on Madiwala main road ..

Now, suddenly he decides to cross the road. The traffic has just been let off from the Total mall signal so the vehicles must be doing ~30-40 km/hr. ...
Let me add another angle to this. What if this is deliberate ?

Yes, something like that has happened to me. A drunk female runs across the road and I did hit her. I took her to a clinic who refused to treat her. So went to the police station, and then to a hospital near by. We went through the entire process, went to court, paid a fine and completed things.

It was after going to the cops that we found out that she does it habitually, just to get some money for her next drink(s).

Not a pleasant experience.
Old 22nd February 2012, 07:24   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
now the point of this post is - what do you do if you're involved - either as the auto (which hit the person) or the Ikon (which ran over after the person had fallen on the ground) in such a situation?

Since the pedestrian is not in his senses, you cannot anticipate such a situation. God forbid you end up in one, what's the course of action?
Well if it’s me, the immediate thought will be to stop and help the case. However in this case, there could be a few scenarios played in the Ikon driver’s mind:
1) Looking at the recent history of mugging related incidents in Bangalore, what if this was deliberate (similar lines to what Condor mentioned above)?
2) Fear for his own safety – In these scenarios, how the crowd reacts? Are there chances that the crowd manhandles the driver?

Even way back in year 2000, I remember an incident around Madivala. A scooter rider hit a pedestrian, and he managed to flee the scene. My friend’s colleague (in his M800) stopped to help, the crowd and the victim together made the guy responsible, and he could leave the scene only after paying up.
Old 22nd February 2012, 08:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

I don't know why as someone has mentioned above 'some greasing would be involved' is applicable if you just report to the police.

I have helped people on couple of occasions putting them into a Auto (the driver did not think twice before taking them to Victoria hospital in one case and nursing home in Vijayanagar in other case). And twice on NH4.

On Mysore road, near Shell a ragpicker in inebriated state came in front of the car and fell down. I go down to see what happened and the people around tell me to move on since she is that type.

We have several threads where we complain that nobody else helps us when we are in a situation. God help us. (the person seeing this was not even driving, so why the fear?)

Last edited by srishiva : 22nd February 2012 at 08:56.
Old 22nd February 2012, 09:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

There should be a rule that people involved in a traffic incident while breaking other traffic rules should be booked for attempted suicide/ attempted murder.
For example a 2-wheeler riding wrong side in a one-way and being hit by a car should be booked for attempted suicide. similarly a person walking in the middle of the road.
A car driving on the wrong side and hitting any other vehicle should be booked for attempted murder and not rash and negligent driving.
Old 27th February 2012, 19:44   #11
BANNED

I think if you feel sure that a person has come deliberately in your vehicles way to stage an accident, one should stop right there and thrash that person while giving him some sober advice. You will get some confidence and he will think twice before doing it again.
Old 27th February 2012, 21:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
I think if you feel sure that a person has come deliberately in your vehicles way to stage an accident, one should stop right there and thrash that person while giving him some sober advice. You will get some confidence and he will think twice before doing it again.
Easier said than done. What if at the first slap, the guy has a cardiac arrest due to shock? Are you prepared to be booked for murder?

The laws are severely stacked against the motorists, and believe me, if you happen to read the Motor Vehicle Act someday, you would really hire a driver the same day (even if you cannot afford one).

From my experience of hitting a pedestrian on my bike, I would say, if you have a scenario of deciding whether to hit either a pedestrian or a tree when going at 100kmph, please hit the tree. Because if you survive the crash, you can at least thank your stars and the safety rating of the car. But if the pedestrian dies, you end up in jail for the rest of your life.. I would die rather than spend the rest of my life in jail.

P.S.: The above is not a joke.
Old 27th February 2012, 21:41   #13
BHPian

I agree with antz.bin. Don't try to mess with any idiot even if he looks weak to you. In case someone is too lazy to look up Motor Vehicle Act, here's a brief summary - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...icles-act.html

Look up section 140 which is relevant here. Anyone can simply walk to your car and pretend to be hurt by it and you can be jailed for it. So don't try to mess with anyone.

Last edited by DevilsCry : 27th February 2012 at 21:41. Reason: typo
Old 28th February 2012, 11:43   #14
BHPian

I would have done what you have done. Not to promote this but these things are being done purposely on a regular basis to make fast money. The mob is always blind and aim less. They are just interested in some drama and throwing a couple of punches when possible. What if the mob turned to you and said you are responsible, what if the injured man said the same.

I was once driving my car on a service road (2 way) at goreagon exhibition center. There was an auto coming from the opposite side. Suddenly a bike with 4 people on it (a couple and 2 kids) decided to over take it. On seeing my car the bike braked, skidded and fell good 20 feet short of my car. Every one of the 4 people were injured. I decided to help, the first thing the crowd started saying I hit him, next thing the bike guy said I hit him and demanded 10k rupees (I was driving my all new accord). My wife was with me, I saw an opportunity to back up, I put the car in R, backed up, joined the Highway immediately and fled.

Next time something like this happens, I wont even think of stopping and helping even if it is my fault, because fault or no fault you will be screwed!! I always believed in helping but lately after many incidents with friends and family which look like extortion rackets, I really don't have guts to help, I am afraid to help, such is the state of affairs!

Our actions can be termed as collateral damage because of our weak laws and mob mentality.
Old 28th February 2012, 12:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I don't know why as someone has mentioned above 'some greasing would be involved' is applicable if you just report to the police.
There are many cases where the police has held the reporting person responsible for the incident!

Happened to a friend of mine when an auto, jumping a signal, hit a two-wheeler and he fell down! My friend saw this and went to the nearest Police station (300m away from the incident) to report the accident and also to say he was eye witness to the fact that the auto-wala was at fault! He was threatened that a case would be booked on him and was shooed away from the station!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
When it is deliberate, generally there are more people involved in the whole plan, who crop up as the victim's relatives! By getting out of the safety of your car and manhandling the person, you are more often than not worsening things for yourself!

OT: The way you say it, reminds me of my relative's frustration over politicians - when he used to say "All these corrupt politicians should be lined up and killed one after the other"

Nice to think of it, but impractical in real life!

Most Viewed