Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2012, 00:12   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Super-Cars & Exotic Imports Crashes in India

All the self-righteous, finger-wagging on this thread makes me sick to my stomach. I'd be willing to bet that 95% (if not more) of the people on this board have broken the speed limit in this country multiple times, yet we have a lot of holier-than-thou nonsense being spewed here. Speed limits in India are a complete joke and NOBODY adheres to them. (There are stretches on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway, for instance, with a posted speed limit of 30 Km/h. Show me ONE car that adheres to the speed limit on those stretches!)

The simple fact is NOBODY here knows what speed the Lamborghini was going before it crashed. It may have been 100 Km/h, it may have been 270 Km/h. A Lamborghini SOUNDS like it's going 200 when it's doing 60 or 70 at moderate to high rpms. I am NOT defending the deceased driver or speeding on public roads, I'm just saying that everyone here should realise that they are getting indignant and mouthing-off on a subject they have no basis to mouth-off on!

Nobody knows the exact cause of the accident. Did someone do something stupid in front of the (supposedly) speeding Lambo which started-off a chain reaction that ended with a dead driver and an injured cyclist? It could have been a pedestrian, an animal, another motorist, debris or any number of other things that began the chain reaction.

Should the driver have been doing crazy speeds on public roads? No. Would the accident have been avoided if he was driving slower? Maybe. Does that mean we have the right to speculate and act holier than thou without having first-hand knowledge of what happened?

The bigger issue here is not that the driver of a Lamborghini died after going out for a joy ride. The issue is that our roads are amongst the most dangerous in the world. Tens of thousands of people die on Indian roads every year. This is the major issue.

Our public are poorly trained in proper vehicle control, indisciplined in the way they use the roads, be it as motorists, pedestrians or whatever, and MOST importantly the roads themselves are badly designed and unsafe.

Spare a moment's thought for the fact that those poles were likely the immediate cause of death for the driver of the car. I agree that high speed would have exacerbated the outcome of the incident, but a motor-cycle rider could easily meet a similar fate if he lost control of his bike even at a speed of 50-60 Km/h and got impaled on a metal rod. Why are none of us asking questions about whether having metal rods on roads as dividers / partitions is a good idea / safe ?

Our buses and trucks have no bumpers (or sometimes metal bars that are so flimsy and high-mounted that cars and bikes can easily submarine under them in an accident). Our roads are poorly constructed and maintained. Safety features and proper guard rails are sorely lacking. Driver education and licensing is a complete joke. Vehicle checks and maintenance protocol is non-existent. These are the things we, as car enthusiasts, should all be getting up in arms about.

Lastly, my thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of anybody who has lost someone near or dear on our roads, or had a loved one injured on our roads. It's tragic and it's a real danger in this country. Can we, the educated, tax-paying citizens demand more and expect better from those in charge of our nation's roads?

Last edited by kbk_75 : 21st February 2012 at 00:14.
kbk_75 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 00:12   #62
Senior - BHPian

Lets be frank , people will continue to die till we dont have a proper system in place to organize the sale of super cars and bikes in this country. The whole system has to be overhauled with maybe introducing additional driving license requirements and special car/bike teaching schools.,Anybody can walk in with truck load of money and walk out with a car capable of hitting a ton sooner than you can blink. But then again , looking at that car and the damage , the person was really speeding. A damage of that magnitude does not happen when you doing 80/90/100 kmph. He paid heavily for it . The saddest part is , it will still not put the message across.
Old 21st February 2012, 00:17   #63
BANNED

To all those people who are saying that he was doing crazy speeds and thats illegal and dangerous and what not.... just one question - have you ever broken the speed limit or not ? i presume 99% of you have .The point being you are in your respective cars and you push them sometimes or regularly depending upon the way you drive and all of our cars have different capabilities you only push em till the limit you feel is safe , the Balboni driver wasnt driving the car for the first time and he wouldve known his car and the way it rides so he was just driving it in a way that it was made to excel in and for a fact i can say that in cars like these its not hard reaching 200 km/r in city roads and comparatively under full braking they would stop to a halt faster or in the same time as an average car stopping from 120 or so . In your car you might be able to do a 100 , 120 , 140 ... similarly his car was capable of those speeds ( 180 , 200 whatever the press claims) . He was just doing what everyone does - enjoy the car , feel the speed etc. Also , its a 550 hp car which reaches a 100 kmph before you have time to realize it so what do you think hell be bouncing off and on the gas pedal after every 5 second so as to stay in the presumed "safe" yet illegal speed of a 100 or a 120 .
accord masters is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 01:07   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijayraj1890 View Post
In many cars they DO deploy even if you are not wearing your seat belts but you risk very severe facial and spinal injuries if the aribag deploys and you are not wearing your seat belt at the time.
We are not talking in general here. We are talking in specific. The lambo meets most current safety regulations and airbags wouldn't deploy in this case if seat belts are not on.

Having said that, the passenger side airbag was also deployed. Does that mean there was a passenger in that seat who would have been a prime witness?
Old 21st February 2012, 01:25   #65
Senior - BHPian

It was sheer badluck that the guy is no more:(
I am wondering why are people getting worked upon the speeds the lambo was doing???????
All over the forum i read posts like i was crusing at 150 in a civic\vento\polo and what not??????,a Lambo doing 180 is much safer than a 10L odd car doing 150km\hr.
Kindly move on guys.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 02:24   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad luck? No... Luck, or fate, seldom causes accidents: drivers and other road users do.
Quote:
To all those people who are saying that he was doing crazy speeds and thats illegal and dangerous and what not.... just one question - have you ever broken the speed limit or not ? i presume 99% of you have .
Yes, I have: both here and in UK. Like driving at 40MPH in a 30MPH zone, or at 80MPH on a British motorway, where the limit is 70MPH. I have twice touched 100MPH in UK, driving cars that were bigger and more powerful than I was used to, and slowed down when I realised.

Does this disqualify from criticising those who drive, as I said before, at multiples of the limit for the road? I don't believe it does, and I repeat that it is criminally rash, if not insane, to do so. I accept that I have no knowledge of what happened here, but generally, I stand by my words and my attitude on this.
Quote:
All over the forum i read posts like i was crusing at 150 in a civic\vento\polo and what not??????,a Lambo doing 180 is much safer than a 10L odd car doing 150km\hr.
How? Any car is as safe as its driver and his ability to handle that car.
Quote:
I am wondering why are people getting worked upon the speeds the lambo was doing???????
on a city street. That's why. Assuming (yes, we don't know, but it does not look like a low speed accident) that the guy was way overspeeding ... how many times can I get the words "criminally rash" and "insane" in the same post?

The solution, I believe, is in my signature.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 21st February 2012 at 02:27.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 02:45   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
It was sheer badluck that the guy is no more:(
Sheer bad luck? Like I'd said before, it would have been sheer bad luck had he been driving slowly and the accident claimed his life.

One must never associate bad luck and over-speeding. When you go fast on the road, what are the odds? They're going to be heavily stacked against you.

For those who believe that some of us are self-righteous and stuff like that, I'd like to say a few words.

I have learnt from my past experiences, and thankfully, none of them have been bad and none of them have scarred me to such an extent that I had to mend my ways.

Ever since I'd started driving, it has been ingrained in me by my family, that I MUST at all times stick to and respect the rules and regulations of the road. That I have to drive defensively and never exceed my limit. And I have done just that. Never have I exceeded the speed-limit anywhere. City or highway. Yes, I have occasionally touched 120 in my Civic and Jazz, but I'm uncomfortable doing speeds beyond that on a public road. I've never driven beyond 60 in my Santro in the city and I don't intend to either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
The issue is that our roads are amongst the most dangerous in the world. Tens of thousands of people die on Indian roads every year. This is the major issue.
And despite this, people continue to speed on public roads. Who is to blame here? When we know fully-well that the roads are not good and not fit for such driving, why do we do it?

We can keep blaming the government for not giving us adequate roads and so on? We can. But if we check ourselves and our driving mannerisms, we automatically drive according to the capacity of the road.

This has nothing to do with being 'holier-than-thou' or whatever. It's about principles. This is not a lecture class. It's about spreading awareness.

Even if some of us have had colourful pasts, what's wrong in propagating the right thing? It may sound hypocritical on some levels. But I can safely say that I practice what I preach.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st February 2012 at 02:46.
suhaas307 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 03:02   #68
BHPian

Many things have been said here about the incident. I pray that the family of the deceased driver get the strenght to overcome the huge loss and wish the cyclist a speedy recovery.
Now about the Lambo being blamed for his actions, although it sounds a little cruel to be critical on a person who is no more it has to be agreed that whatever the type of automobile it is, its definitely not safe to travel at inappropriate speeds. Yes we have broken the rules but there needs to be some discretion on what is an agreeable breach. As someone mentioned here doing a 40 or 50kph on a Mumbai- Pune EHW strech which limits to 30 is not really a crime compared to doing a 150kph on a Delhi city road. This is what we are stating as Unacceptable.
Yes, many people get killed everyday on Indian roads and not all of them are debated to this extent, but again the others are not highlighted so much as well. The bigger issue here is not the critisism loaded against the young driver but in general the safety of self and the other road users that was ignored.
Having said all of the above, everyone loves to see supercars ply on our roads and as enthusiasts we would love it more if they are driven responsibly. Am sure there are many here on TBHP itself who own and drive them the way it should be. Peace!
Baleno7811 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 07:21   #69
Team-BHP Support

I guess a lot of the discussion generated here is due to the fact that the car involved in the accident is a Lamborghini. Instead, if the car was a Swift or a Honda Accord, this would have drawn just a couple of comments in the ‘Accidents in India’ thread.

Many comments are suggesting the reckless driving of the departed soul, and I am not sure how media arrived at gauging the speed at the time of accident. Looking at the time this occurred, could it be a possibility that he momentarily dozed off? And with the beast of a machine he is driving, a second is more than enough for a surge in speed. Hope the families get the strength to cope with this unfortunate incident.
Old 21st February 2012, 07:46   #70
BHPian

The family didn’t know Rishi had bought a Lamborghini

Not having an experience of driving a sports car, which can go up to a speed of 340km/hr at Delhi roads, proved fatal for Anukool Rishi, a real estate scion. The Lamborghini Gallardo Valentine Balboni special edition car originally belonged to PC Jewellers. Rishi had spent R 2.2 crore to buy the car without informing his family members a month ago and had driven it only three to four times.

“It is difficult to drive sports car on Delhi roads. The car was bought in the name of PC Jewellers in November last year but they didn’t use it at all. In day time, it is difficult to drive sports cars in Delhi and Rishi generally used to take the car out only in the wee hours,” a police officer said. The guards posted at Rishi’s Sainik Farms house said that they had never seen a Lamborghini car at the house.

“He used to go to his Gurgaon office in a BMW. On Saturday night, he left office at 5pm. The family didn’t know that he had bought a Lamborghini,” the guard said. The police have found out that the car was pending for registration on the name of Satish, a resident of Aali village in Badarpur, which suggests that Rishi didn’t want to buy it on his name.

Sources said that PC Jewellers were in the process of transferring it to Rishi, a family friend, after he had shown interest in buying it. Rishi had made a partial payment to them for the car which they had bought for more than R3.5 crore.

The Delhi Police said that Rishi was not trained enough to drive the car. Sources said that Rishi wanted to test drive the car before making full payment.

“For his satisfaction, we allowed him to take the car” a PC Jeweller spokesperson said.

Source: The family didn
Old 21st February 2012, 08:36   #71
Team-BHP Support

All the more reason to never let a car out of your sight until all payment has been made.

Who pays for the poor cyclist who is now an invalid? The insurance folks might walk away
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 11:22   #72
BANNED

again to those people who are saying that he was doing "insane" speeds and also was "criminally rash" . If you ever get to drive a lamborghini ( if you own it or get it to drive it anywhere any how ) how many of you can put ur hand on your heart and swear that you would not do "insane " speed or be "criminally rash" because of that . If you get in the driver seat then im sure youd be pushing the car atleast once and in that car that small time frame of you pushing it would take you to speeds around 150 km/r atleast ( unless you drive like a total uncle and wuss out after touching the gas pedal - my opinion ) . so all the commotion about the guy doing a 180 or any high speed that is claimed whats the point over fighting if its right or not - that car can do such speeds and handle it .
accord masters is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 11:44   #73
BHPian

It's very amusing. I see posts where something like "agreeable breach", or "breach within acceptable limits" is being spoken about.

Now, who are WE to judge that 10mph above 40mph is an "agreeable breach"? You've crossed 40mph. You've broken the law. You were speeding. Period. Any other objective way to look at this? Nope. An officer at law has every right to fine you. A lenient officer at law might forgive you for doing 10mph above 40mph, but the fact remains that you've broken the law.

People who can't accept this will continue bashing the dead person's soul.

Let's talk about driving techniques, car control, dos and donts, practising safety et al and that's OK, but we are NO ONE to pass judgement on Rishi.

Over and out.
ssh1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 13:27   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord masters View Post
If you ever get to drive a lamborghini ( if you own it or get it to drive it anywhere any how ) how many of you can put ur hand on your heart and swear that you would not do "insane " speed or be "criminally rash" because of that . If you get in the driver seat then im sure youd be pushing the car atleast once and in that car that small time frame of you pushing it would take you to speeds around 150 km/r atleast
I rode a Kawasaki Ninja 650 for the first time when I did the Official TD. Around 300 kms.
Only once did I hit speeds over a 100. It happened on an open stretch. As soon as I realized that the speed was in triple digits, I slowed down.

The bike was awesome fun to ride.
BUT I WAS RIDING ON A PUBLIC ROAD.

Quote:

( unless you drive like a total uncle and wuss out after touching the gas pedal - my opinion ) .
Grow up.
Driving is not a challenge.
Everyone crashes.
The faster you are, the higher the probability of it being the last one.
bblost is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 13:34   #75
BANNED

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics is STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 21st February 2012 at 13:40.
accord masters is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks