Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2012, 18:12   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Super-Cars & Exotic Imports Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Thats what happens when a cyclist is riding along the middle of the road divider.
I'd be never on a bicycle when I know you are with in 10 Kms radius. No, seriously!!
anilisanil is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 18:12   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Thats what happens when a cyclist is riding along the middle of the road divider.
What do you mean? Care to elaborate?
Baleno7811 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 18:27   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
The pictures speak for themselves. The seat Belt was Not worn/fastened, and this is a crime, its also total irresponsibility on the part of the Driver.
A person takes a Super car out with hopefully empty roads at that hour and obviously goes over board on the throttle, not realising that at that hour his reflexes would also be low and ending up like this is immaturity on the part of the departed soul. RIP.
Am told the car had just clocked a few hundred kms. since new, in the last 5 months! So it seems he had not had enough experience with the cars capabilities/handling either.
If he was wearing the seat belts he would have been SAFE! check the cabin cage. And maybe even the cyclist would have been safer, had the driver been at the steering.
The car did not belong to him, he was in the process of buying it from a friend.
Old 21st February 2012, 20:16   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagu View Post
The car did not belong to him, he was in the process of buying it from a friend.
How is the ownership of the car related to him not wearing the seat belts?
Old 21st February 2012, 20:49   #95
BHPian

Quote:
The pictures speak for themselves. The seat Belt was Not worn/fastened, and this is a crime, its also total irresponsibility on the part of the Driver.
A person takes a Super car out with hopefully empty roads at that hour and obviously goes over board on the throttle, not realising that at that hour his reflexes would also be low and ending up like this is immaturity on the part of the departed soul. RIP.
Am told the car had just clocked a few hundred kms. since new, in the last 5 months! So it seems he had not had enough experience with the cars capabilities/handling either.
If he was wearing the seat belts he would have been SAFE! check the cabin cage. And maybe even the cyclist would have been safer, had the driver been at the steering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baleno7811 View Post
How is the ownership of the car related to him not wearing the seat belts?
Baleno7811, I didn't said anything about the seatbelt. I was just correcting scbooy's statement where he said that the car belong to him. And according to the Hindustan Times even his family didn't know about the car being bought and hence we can safely assume that he did not have much experience at wheel of this RWD monster.

What happened was unfortunate and sad, but there were four other live taking road accidents in the capital that day but only this one was highlighted.
vagu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 21:48   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
What's your authority on 180 odd,or even 6 kmph ?
Which of his rash actions have been highlighted?

I seriously don't understand how people are lynching on the way to the courthouse.
He may be at fault,maybe not.
But this?
This just sounds like aaj tak.
My authority my dear friend stems from pure and simple common sense, a commodity which seems to have been pushed back in this mad race towards politically correct behaviour.

So just to put things in perspective, you are saying - not implying mind you - but saying, that it's not rash to do 180+kmph on a narrow city road. If you really think that way then all I can do is pray for your co-passengers when you're behind the wheel.

And before we run into the familiar indignant screams of "What proof do I have?", please, for the love of god - look at those photographs man. Does it look like the car was doing a sedate 30km/h in 2nd gear when it ran into the rails???

So once again, while it's really tragic that a young life was lost, lets not lose sight of the real reason behind the crash in this sea of political correctness and stop blaming traffic, roads, pedestrians since clearly they had no role to play here!
singhsid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 22:09   #97
BHPian

This is thread is called Super-Cars & Exotic Imports Crashes in India,

NOT : WHO or WHY
the Super-Cars & Exotic Imports Crashed in India.

Talking about the car, It should be taken and put in a safer spot, people should not steal parts off this car and make money.
Mirage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 22:17   #98
BHPian

May the poor boy rest in peace and may the unfortunate cyclist who happened to be in his path make a full recovery.God bless them both.Nothing written below is intended to be a criticism of the unfortunate boy who lost his life.
That said,sorry to be cynical but this thread will go cold in a week just as so many others have done,no one who overspeeds(sadly including myself) will modify their driving style for any significant period of time,the guys who drive safe will continue to do the right thing,God bless them for making our roads safe around them.
Pretty much the same way as we slow down on the highway for a few minutes after we see an accident site,we will go back to being our old selfish driving selves in no time at all.
Sadly,what we need in this country is stringent enforcement and punishment for speeding offences with jail time included.Only fear of reprisals of that magnitude and not concern for fellow road users,will ever help .
We are,generally,as a country,too new and immature for the supercar experience and I speak for myself and I am sure not a few others,when I say it is all too easy to get carried away with the sheer power afforded by even executive sedans today,let alone sportscars.Few understand that most cars take far too long to stop from crazy speeds,and do behave unpredictably while slowing down, whereas they get up to really serious speeds way before we realise it.How many times have we glanced down at the speedo and seen the needle way above where we expected it to be?
I know I am sermonising,maybe by writing this down I am trying to din some sense into my own head,even if one other person takes heed of my unsolicited prattling,my good deed for the day is done.
Regret a moment too late cannot ever turn back the clock,please drive safe.
911987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 22:47   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
This is thread is called Super-Cars & Exotic Imports Crashes in India,

NOT : WHO or WHY the Super-Cars & Exotic Imports Crashed in India.

Talking about the car, It should be taken and put in a safer spot, people should not steal parts off this car and make money.
So whats wrong in discussing the possibilities about how a car crashed. If anyone is going off topic the mods will take care of it. Anyways Thanks for reminding!
Old 21st February 2012, 23:09   #100
Senior - BHPian

So everybody here has an opinion (and that's all it is, an opinion) on this crash and that's well and good. What I find strange is that nobody has picked up on what I mentioned in my previous post about the metal rods being the immediate cause of death.

Granted the car may have been speeding. Granted the driver may not have had his seat belt on. He also got impaled in the abdomen by metal rods according to the reports. What are those rods doing there? Isn't there a safer way to demarcate a lane for buses or whatever?

As I mentioned in my previous post, in this instance it was a young man in a supercar. The next time it may be an elderly person on a bike losing control while doing "reasonable" (gauged subjectively by different people) speeds. He could get just as easily impaled on those rods and could potentially die from a very much less sensational accident.

What I am trying to point-out here is that we pay taxes, amongst the highest in the world, to buy and register our cars and bikes, whether they are 100cc bikes or 6 litre sports cars. Surely we should get our money's worth back? Surely our roads should be better surfaced? Better guard railed? Designed without potentially life-ending metal rods sticking out of the road? Surely our licensing system needs to be many times stricter? Our heavy buses and trucks should have proper, low-mounted bumpers in place to help save lives when the inevitable accidents happen.

What about the RTOs taking a more active interest in promoting road safety by making our roads more safe? Food for thought?

Last edited by kbk_75 : 21st February 2012 at 23:16.
kbk_75 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 23:21   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportygellar View Post
Tell me how feasible it is for a person to take his car to the Track every time he wants to push his car to the limits ? Do we have tracks in every city ? NO

How many Super-car owners in India do not push their car to the limits in the city ? Are everybody taking their cars to the Tracks ? NO

Every person who gets a Super car will know how to Drive it(other's Views my differ) and they push their car to the limits on public roads and not everybody is meeting with the accident every other day.

Talking about the Speed limits even a Nano is not being Driven below the set Speed limit in the city.

When there are N no of people dying on the roads due to accidents why are no body creating threads here and bashing the person who is at fault ??

I see comments here from Typical Indian Mentality ! I'm repeating again Just because a Lamborghini is Involved just because he is a Rich Chap you guys have got an opportunity on a forum to talk anything against him without knowing the fact without Witnessing the Accident.

Finally It was in His fate it was in Cyclist fate that he has to meet with an Accident, he has to pass away in an Accident, Nobody in this World could stop the accident which had to happen..

Hoping a Speedy recovery to the Cyclist.

Lets Move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baleno7811 View Post
Just because it is not feasible to reach a track doesnt mean you make the public roads a track for yourself. You have a powerful machine, you want to push it to the limits, you dont have a track near you. So what do you do? Drive it at a 100kmph on Lavelle Road?

And I agree many supercar owners push their car to the limits on Indian roads and get away, This guy dint, sometime you arent so lucky, that is exactly why they are called accidents mate!

And what do you mean by Indian Mentality? In fact, in your terms, you are talking with that Indian mentality blaming the fate of the driver and the poor cyclist for all this and not the irresponsible driving!!
@Baleno7811: I'm not advocating anyone here. But just try to think this way. Assume that you are a supercar owner and resides in a city where there isn't any track nearby. Would you always drive below 70km/h in your 2.5 Crore car? Or would you transport your car to Buddh, every sundays? Try to think a bit practical. We dont have good roads to drive lambos and ferraris but that's not enough reason for rich enthusiasts to back off from buying these cars. They drive their cars on the best road available at suitable time.
We all enjoyed hearing the news of the first Bugatti Veyron (or any other hypercar) landing in India. We all appreciated the owner's taste and guts to buy such a car. Now just think, how is it being driven. You expect the Bugatti owner to drive it at double digit speeds after spending 17Crore? Have anyone of us seen any of the Bugattis in India being driven on a track? So, till one of them gets involved in a similar accident (hope that never happens) we all will praise the car and its owner and when a bad moment comes, we all turn the plates and start criticizing the owner for driving his supercar fast!

In this case, the Lambo owner did make his share of mistakes like not buckling his seatbelts and all but I just cant accuse him for driving fast in late night 'coz if I had been in his shoes, I'd also take my supercar at night when the streets are empty and enjoy myself (after fastening seatbelts!).

Again, let me make myself clear, I'm not telling that this guy was not at fault but I see no point in telling 'if you want to drive at high speeds, you must take your car to a track'! All we can do from our part is wear seatbelts and always be cautious.
Old 21st February 2012, 23:43   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
@Baleno7811: I'm not advocating anyone here. But just try to think this way. Assume that you are a supercar owner and resides in a city where there isn't any track nearby. Would you always drive below 70km/h in your 2.5 Crore car? Or would you transport your car to Buddh, every sundays? Try to think a bit practical. We dont have good roads to drive lambos and ferraris but that's not enough reason for rich enthusiasts to back off from buying these cars. They drive their cars on the best road available at suitable time.
We all enjoyed hearing the news of the first Bugatti Veyron (or any other hypercar) landing in India. We all appreciated the owner's taste and guts to buy such a car. Now just think, how is it being driven. You expect the Bugatti owner to drive it at double digit speeds after spending 17Crore? Have anyone of us seen any of the Bugattis in India being driven on a track? So, till one of them gets involved in a similar accident (hope that never happens) we all will praise the car and its owner and when a bad moment comes, we all turn the plates and start criticizing the owner for driving his supercar fast!

In this case, the Lambo owner did make his share of mistakes like not buckling his seatbelts and all but I just cant accuse him for driving fast in late night 'coz if I had been in his shoes, I'd also take my supercar at night when the streets are empty and enjoy myself (after fastening seatbelts!).

Again, let me make myself clear, I'm not telling that this guy was not at fault but I see no point in telling 'if you want to drive at high speeds, you must take your car to a track'! All we can do from our part is wear seatbelts and always be cautious.
First things first, By wearing a seat belt you are ensuring your safety, but what about the others using the road? And if you read my posts carefully I have clearly mentioned that even one breaks the RULES it is important to be within the limits. And when I say crossing the limits I mean driving at 150kmph on a city road, I dont care how big, empty or good the road is. At the least take it to an expressway near by to achieve decent speeds. I know our country does not have the best infrastructure to explore these cars' abilities but that doesnt mean you get frustrated and overspeed on crowded roads.
And if you are saying that you would also speed a supercar close to 200 during the wee hours, I can only wish you and the others close to you good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
So everybody here has an opinion (and that's all it is, an opinion) on this crash and that's well and good. What I find strange is that nobody has picked up on what I mentioned in my previous post about the metal rods being the immediate cause of death.

Granted the car may have been speeding. Granted the driver may not have had his seat belt on. He also got impaled in the abdomen by metal rods according to the reports. What are those rods doing there? Isn't there a safer way to demarcate a lane for buses or whatever?

As I mentioned in my previous post, in this instance it was a young man in a supercar. The next time it may be an elderly person on a bike losing control while doing "reasonable" (gauged subjectively by different people) speeds. He could get just as easily impaled on those rods and could potentially die from a very much less sensational accident.

What I am trying to point-out here is that we pay taxes, amongst the highest in the world, to buy and register our cars and bikes, whether they are 100cc bikes or 6 litre sports cars. Surely we should get our money's worth back? Surely our roads should be better surfaced? Better guard railed? Designed without potentially life-ending metal rods sticking out of the road? Surely our licensing system needs to be many times stricter? Our heavy buses and trucks should have proper, low-mounted bumpers in place to help save lives when the inevitable accidents happen.

What about the RTOs taking a more active interest in promoting road safety by making our roads more safe? Food for thought?
I truly agree with whatever you have quoted Kbk. But knowing of the current state of our roads and road safety dont you think it is all the more important for everyone using them to be cautious and responsbile? Taking up the matter of tax payers money going to drain is a different issue altogether which I dont think fits this forum.

Last edited by bblost : 22nd February 2012 at 00:11. Reason: back 2 back. Please use Edit when available. Thanks.
Old 22nd February 2012, 00:09   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhsid

My authority my dear friend stems from pure and simple common sense, a commodity which seems to have been pushed back in this mad race towards politically correct behaviour.

So just to put things in perspective, you are saying - not implying mind you - but saying, that it's not rash to do 180+kmph on a narrow city road. If you really think that way then all I can do is pray for your co-passengers when you're behind the wheel.

And before we run into the familiar indignant screams of "What proof do I have?", please, for the love of god - look at those photographs man. Does it look like the car was doing a sedate 30km/h in 2nd gear when it ran into the rails???

So once again, while it's really tragic that a young life was lost, lets not lose sight of the real reason behind the crash in this sea of political correctness and stop blaming traffic, roads, pedestrians since clearly they had no role to play here!
Let's make it clearer .
On who's authority do you have it that he was doing 180,which you said.not imply, said.
Do try to understand what was written instead of twisting it.
Which report has investigated and found that figure?
Till that comes out, its all hearsay.
Old 22nd February 2012, 00:17   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
It might have been a tree; a concrete post; a bollard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
That is not thinking practical: it is thinking that owning an expensive car makes a person not subject to law or to decency.
Quote:
We all enjoyed hearing the news of the first Bugatti Veyron (or any other hypercar) landing in India. We all appreciated the owner's taste and guts to buy such a car. Now just think, how is it being driven. You expect the Bugatti owner to drive it at double digit speeds after spending 17Crore?
Yes
Quote:
Have anyone of us seen any of the Bugattis in India being driven on a track? So, till one of them gets involved in a similar accident (hope that never happens) we all will praise the car and its owner and when a bad moment comes, we all turn the plates and start criticizing the owner for driving his supercar fast!
Yes, and rightly so.

Quote:
Again, let me make myself clear, I'm not telling that this guy was not at fault but I see no point in telling 'if you want to drive at high speeds, you must take your car to a track'!
How about road safety for others?

If people want to kill themselves in a very expensive but very nasty way, that is up to them. Err... actually, I suppose it isn't: suicide is still a crime in India?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Let's make it clearer .
On who's authority do you have it that he was doing 180,which you said.not imply, said.
Do try to understand what was written instead of twisting it.
Which report has investigated and found that figure?
Till that comes out, its all hearsay.
Yes, there is a massive amount of assumption going on. Sure, I'm doing it too, but surely it is certain that that car was not being driven slowly or well. Proof of the pudding? The result.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 22nd February 2012 at 00:20.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 01:36   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord masters View Post
again to those people who are saying that he was doing "insane" speeds and also was "criminally rash" . If you ever get to drive a lamborghini ( if you own it or get it to drive it anywhere any how ) how many of you can put ur hand on your heart and swear that you would not do "insane " speed or be "criminally rash" because of that . If you get in the driver seat then im sure youd be pushing the car atleast once and in that car that small time frame of you pushing it would take you to speeds around 150 km/r atleast ( unless you drive like a total uncle and wuss out after touching the gas pedal - my opinion ) . so all the commotion about the guy doing a 180 or any high speed that is claimed whats the point over fighting if its right or not - that car can do such speeds and handle it .
Well, at the risk of sounding completely like a nerd - I'd like to quote something from spiderman "With great power comes great responsibilty". I think all us bhpians (me included) need to be reminded to this quote!

As the mods suggested, lets leave it be till more information comes up!

Last edited by majorpayne : 22nd February 2012 at 01:47.

Most Viewed