Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2012, 01:42   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Super-Cars & Exotic Imports Crashes in India

Would a Lambo's Airbag open if the driver did not wear his seatbelt??!
Correct me if I'm wrong, as far as I know it wont.

So how come the airbag's popped in the wreckage?!!
Old 22nd February 2012, 02:51   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It might have been a tree; a concrete post; a bollard...
It might have been, but it wasn't...my point here is that you need not be doing something ridiculously dangerous and still be in peril on our roads. We can't make everything around us child-friendly and super safe, but we can certainly get rid of badly designed, dangerous objects and help frame and enforce laws to make our roads, vehicles and most importantly drivers and pedestrians safer.
Old 22nd February 2012, 04:55   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread
Would a Lambo's Airbag open if the driver did not wear his seatbelt??!
Correct me if I'm wrong, as far as I know it wont.

So how come the airbag's popped in the wreckage?!!
Airbags have 2 levels of operation. If you ain't wearing seat belt, it blows at lower intensity and is smaller in size. If you are wearing a seat belt, it explodes with full intensity and in full size.
LP640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 08:00   #109
BHPian

I see from the news that the newsworthiness of this incident is fading away. In spite of all the debates here, we too will soon forget this incident. My request is that we remember a few of the important things:
  1. Buckle up! No matter what speeds you are doing seat belts could save your life.
  2. Drive safe and responsibly. You are driving on PUBLIC roads! No matter what you car is capable of, use your common sense and experience to drive at a safe speed on a given road.
  3. Assume everyone else on the road is an idiot and drive defensively.
John is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 09:26   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Let's make it clearer .
On who's authority do you have it that he was doing 180,which you said.not imply, said.
Do try to understand what was written instead of twisting it.
Which report has investigated and found that figure?
Till that comes out, its all hearsay.
Unfortunately the only person who could have answered this question is no more. So according to you, whenever there is a fatal crash - since there is no sure shot way of determining exact speed down to the last kmph, we should simply blame the roads and traffic and what not - everything except the driver since it's not his fault that he was breaching the speed limit by a margin that made the limit meaningless?

The interesting thing I've noted is that so far you have not offered one single logical point to counter my arguments, if you have so then please put them forward otherwise I think we're just wasting time & energy on the forum.
Old 22nd February 2012, 09:47   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhsid View Post
Unfortunately the only person who could have answered this question is no more. So according to you, whenever there is a fatal crash - since there is no sure shot way of determining exact speed down to the last kmph, we should simply blame the roads and traffic and what not - everything except the driver since it's not his fault that he was breaching the speed limit by a margin that made the limit meaningless?

The interesting thing I've noted is that so far you have not offered one single logical point to counter my arguments, if you have so then please put them forward otherwise I think we're just wasting time & energy on the forum.
My apologies singhsid.
I did not even know that I had blamed the traffic and pedestrians.
Not Imply, blamed.
I did not find anything to respond to in your argument, since youve got a good "implying" system in place.
Do carry on.

Moving on, news item today says the car's been dumped NOT in a police station, and is becoming somewhat of a spectacle now?
people coming in and taking snaps etc.
The only part that has ended up locked in the PS is the monogram.
Yowza!
Why cant we have something like a full fledged NTSB?

Last edited by mayankk : 22nd February 2012 at 09:50.
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:08   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
It might have been, but it wasn't...my point here is that you need not be doing something ridiculously dangerous and still be in peril on our roads. We can't make everything around us child-friendly and super safe, but we can certainly get rid of badly designed, dangerous objects and help frame and enforce laws to make our roads, vehicles and most importantly drivers and pedestrians safer.
Couldn't agree more. There have been many instances wherein motorists have lost lives due to being impaled by the iron rods in the dividers. I stopped riding with a friend because he had this sick habit of driving his bike alongside the dividers, and I used to be a nervous wreck during those drives.

I guess it's high time those spiked rods were removed and replaced by concrete barriers.
Old 22nd February 2012, 11:01   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

Moving on, news item today says the car's been dumped NOT in a police station, and is becoming somewhat of a spectacle now?
people coming in and taking snaps etc.
The only part that has ended up locked in the PS is the monogram.
Yowza!
Why cant we have something like a full fledged NTSB?
I completely agree- am shocked at how much access the public has to this wreck, wouldn't it be some sort of evidence? Also, seems like its a free for all- no barrier, no locked carpark, nothing. Easy to steal some of the Lambos parts which aren't damaged (and i hate to say this but I'm sure some parts have already been stolen). Shows how our authorities are equipped to charge some of the highest road taxes in the world but not equipped to spend those taxes on protecting the very items that bring in the revenue.
nirav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 11:51   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't agree with you on this, kbk.

I believe that driving a car may be an easy job, but the most important thing about it is that one should be able to respect your surroundings and the environment.

The Govt. is undoubtedly at fault, for not providing us with a safe and secure environment. But there is little that we can do about it. What we CAN do, is respect it for what it's worth and avoid getting tangled in the mess. We can do this by respecting the surroundings.

A good driver respects his surroundings, and he drives to the capacity of the road. If I'm aware of sharp objects and dangerous rods on the road, I rather not speed up, than speed-up and meet with an accident and then blame everyone else.

It's important to drive to the capacity of the road. Our roads are not fit for speeding. Maybe roads in other countries are (even though it isn't allowed) but when we know that we can potentially get killed, we should back off.

Granted, the Govt. is sitting on their behinds without addressing the problems related to our road network. But that doesn't mean we can solely blame them in the event of an accident, when we should be driving to the capacity of the road.

Unfortunately, this incident revolves around the death of a driver. But the cyclist who was involved in the incident has become an invalid. A person who was minding his own business. He probably has a family to feed and clothes to put on his children, and now he needs to be taken care of.

This discussion may have reached its saturation point, but I strongly believe that people should understand the seriousness of this issue. What irks me is that he is being defended. People blame everyone else. The Government, the roads, and even the cyclist. Did it occur to anyone of you'll that, had he eased off the pedal, this whole incident could have been avoided?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd February 2012 at 11:54.
suhaas307 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:04   #115
Senior - BHPian

I get what you're saying and I, for one, certainly have not defended anybody or apportioned any blame either, I don't like being judgemental.

That said, people DO stupid things, there's no doubt about it. Most often an accident is caused by someone doing something stupid, whether it be speeding excessively, a vehicle in front changing lanes without indicating, malfunctioning or non-existent brake lights or what have you.

Take a look at the thread by aaggoswami on the head-on accident between the Nissan Micra and the truck. Sure, the Micra driver was on the wrong side of the road and that was the primary reason for the accident BUT...if our trucks had low-mounted proper bumpers in place, the car would not have submarined under the truck and the built-in crumple zones in the car would have better been able to absorb the impact from the accident. In this accident, they were lucky. Had their car gone three feet further under the truck the front occupants may have been decapitated. THAT is why I have been trying to draw people's attention to some of the things that CAN be changed on our roads. In fact the front bumpers on our trucks are comparatively low, compared to the rear bumpers which are often even higher or sometimes absent altogether, which poses a GRAVE risk of submarining in an accident.

Change only comes when enough people demand it. Witness the Arab Spring from 2011. By saying there is little we can do about it, we are part of the apathy that causes things to be sub-standard and the way they are.

Now I'm done with this topic and won't be replying any more. Be safe everyone.

Last edited by kbk_75 : 22nd February 2012 at 12:07.
kbk_75 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:08   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baleno7811 View Post
What do you mean? Care to elaborate?
From what I have read, cyclist was not riding on the dedicated bike lane. Had he been on safer side of the road, he might have escaped injury, and in the process saved Drivers life...or vice versa if the driver was cautious and avoided panic maneuver leading the car spin out of control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
If a cyclist is riding along in middle of the road there is something in our cars called as " Horn" and " Brake" and " Steering Wheel".

With a proper use of above items coupled with " Human Brains" one can easily avoid hitting him.

In the above case the driver had lost his " Brains" which urged him to drive at 180kmph on delhi streets.

Agreed the car is capable of speeds, but the roads and surrounding traffic may not be capable of accommodating this kind of speed.
It was 5 AM, roads are empty, both the cyclist and motorist assumed that they can do anything on the road. Cyclist assumed that he be same at 5 AM. Motorist assumed that he be safe without seatbelt. R Just like motorist was not wearing seatbelt, the cyclist was not wearing a helmet. Regardless, this was an accident by definition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I'd be never on a bicycle when I know you are with in 10 Kms radius. No, seriously!!
You could still die due to an unfortunate event like- Overloaded truck breaking its axle and tips over you, your break fails or by falling off a cliff while trying to avoid a swerving cyclist at 5 AM.
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:37   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post

You could still die due to an unfortunate event like- Overloaded truck breaking its axle and tips over you, your break fails or by falling off a cliff while trying to avoid a swerving cyclist at 5 AM.
And you fall off a cliff and bounce 3-5 times like a nice elastic ball and walk back to life? What is your point?

Agreed, that cyclist may be at fault. But for the love of God, we do have laws and if every cyclist who is not on the dedicated lane should be mowed down by a Lambo (which is what you meant in the original post) then India's population woes would have been solved long ago!
Old 22nd February 2012, 13:44   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
From what I have read, cyclist was not riding on the dedicated bike lane. Had he been on safer side of the road, he might have escaped injury, and in the process saved Drivers life...or vice versa if the driver was cautious and avoided panic maneuver leading the car spin out of control.
It was 5 AM, roads are empty, both the cyclist and motorist assumed that they can do anything on the road. Cyclist assumed that he be same at 5 AM. Motorist assumed that he be safe without seatbelt. R Just like motorist was not wearing seatbelt, the cyclist was not wearing a helmet. Regardless, this was an accident by definition.
If the cyclist was on different lane he would have been saved right? What next? Lambo would have banged another vehicle / barrier / tree and would have faced similar fate.
Dont forget he scrapped the rickshaw before he banged the cyclist.

180 kmph and you speak of cautious driving, safe maneuver etc etc makes me laugh.

Whats the point? If its 5 am you turn into a vampire?
All indian individuals very well know that our city roads are not suitable for 180kmph. Not only in India, there is no single CITY road across whole Europe that can sustain 180kmph.
Does this mean that europeans dont own and drive a supercar ?

Dude forget Lambo even a Linea, Skoda, Honda city etc cars do 180kmph easily. But that doesnt mean i drive my car at those speeds in city, even if its a empty road.

We all drive fast exceeded speed limits on expressway some time or the other, but keeping in mind that the roads are big, no one is ahead and the situation is perfect.

Here the Lambo driver had clearly lost his mind, i would say- dint apply his mind. This was alone the cause of this accident.
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 14:33   #119
Senior - BHPian

No one should do High speeds on Indian roads. Period. You can argue against it and win but you will lose when you get lapped up in an accident.

Quote:
Surely we should get our money's worth back? Surely our roads should be better surfaced? Better guard railed? Designed without potentially life-ending metal rods sticking out of the road? Surely our licensing system needs to be many times stricter? Our heavy buses and trucks should have proper, low-mounted bumpers in place to help save lives when the inevitable accidents happen.

What about the RTOs taking a more active interest in promoting road safety by making our roads more safe? Food for thought?
I have become so cynical with the system that I actually find this paragraph written by you quite humorous. Come on. This is India. Value of life: 0, Value of money: Infinite.

The person who died got what his recklessness deserved. In the process a cyclist got punished. Seeing the way high profile hit an run cases have been handled in past, I can understand why there is very little sympathy among the majority of public for the deceased.
Old 22nd February 2012, 14:48   #120
vsi
BANNED

Re: Lamborghini LP 550-2 Balboni accident. Driver dead, cyclist badly injured

lets say somethin about the cyclist:
1. only breadearner in the family
2. 45 years old.
3. Major injury is spinal cord.
3. Paralysed for life (all 4 limbs)
5. Doctors statement:
According to Dr MC Misra, Chief, AIIMS Trauma Center, "Lal's body is battered from top to bottom. His head is badly injured; the cervical spine, chest and ribs are broken into several parts. He is conscious but can barely speak. The biggest risk is that the spinal cord injury may leave him paralysed for life. We are doing our best to save him."

Excerpts from a leading daily: "
Kishan Lal's son, Hemraj said, "My father will recover from the injuries. It may take time, though. He was very punctual. Every day, he would cycle from our house in Dakshinpuri, Ambedkar Nagar to his workplace at 5am to avoid heavy traffic and speeding vehicles. Papa was riding in the cycle lane on the BRT corridor when the car hit him. The accident took place at 5.30 am but we were informed about it six hours later, around 11.30 am."
Prem, Kishan Lal's younger son said, "Doctors have given us an estimate of Rs 60,000 and Rs 90,000. He was working with the school for the past 22 years, but nobody from the school has visited us so far." The Lamborghini Gallardo was driven by Anukool Rishi, son of P A Rishi, Chairman, [url="http://www.mvl.in/"]. Anukool to succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead."

HOPEFULLY SOMEONE WILL SPARE A THOUGHT FOR THE POOR MAN!

Last edited by manson : 22nd February 2012 at 20:07.
vsi is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed